Jump to content

New Honma Irons


gavinski91
 Share

Recommended Posts

honma_tr21x_irons_std-09-3.jpg

Info on the new Honma TR21X irons is out, and damn, do they look good! https://mygolfspy.com/honma-tr21x-irons-a-new-players-distance-option/

Looks to me like a cross between the P770 and the Forged Tec, and trying to bridge the gap between player's distance and GI irons. If the results from the Honma driver forum test are any indication, some folks are in for major yardage gains with these things!

What do you think, would you give them a shot?

  • Like 2

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor!

Driver - :cobra-small:Radspeed XB, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
3 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
5 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Fujikura Motore X F3 6-S
4 Hybrid - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Mitsubishi MMT 80 S

Irons - :cobra-small:Radspeed 5-GW, KBS $-Taper Lite S
Wedges - :cobra-small:King Cobra Snakebite 52° & 58°, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 S
Putter - :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Black Ten 35"
Ball - :srixon-small: Z-Star XV

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the link to the article! After reading through the review on the TR20 driver, I would definitely give these a try if I were looking for something in the players distance category. I love the way they look and with the recent rave reviews on their driver and wedges, I'm sure Honma has a winner here. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nice looking clubs, but there's just something about a mole as a logo.  

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

While nice looking clubs, put me in the camp of preferring the TW-X from the pics. I’m guessing they look better in person though

 

 

 

What is in my Bag Boy Revolver

Driver:    PXG Gen2 0811x 10.5* set to small + with a VA Composites Nemesys 55s @ 44.75"

Fairway:  :srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Irons: Testing the Titleist T200 irons 4-W2 with Project X LZ 5.5 shaft -1/2" and 1* Up

Wedge: Titleist SM7 56* with Project X LZ 5.0 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Custom Futura X5 flow neck with a UST Frequency Filtered shaft -1" with a SS wristlock grip

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Nice looking clubs, but there's just something about a mole as a logo.  

And here I thought it was a seal.

1 hour ago, gavinski91 said:

Looks to me like a cross between the P770 and the Forged Tec

And they all look to have hues of the i500's... which brings up a question... who was the first mfg. and which model was the original "players distance" iron?

  • Like 2

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nice looking clubs and they likely perform very well, though testing will tell us for sure. I personally would remove the large Honma logo, leaving just the small logo and club name. 

  • Like 1

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g 6.5 (2021 Official Review) | :taylormade-small: '07 Burner 15° Reax 50 Stiff 

:titelist-small: 816 H1 18° Fujikura Speeder HB 8.8 Stiff | :titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Diamana S+ Blue 70 Stiff

:ping-small:  I500 5 - UW Red Dot Dynamic Gold S300 | :Hogan: Equalizer 52° / 56° KBS Tour V 110 Stiff

:cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0 | :ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Left Dash Pro V1x| Right Handed 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/21/2020 at 9:26 PM, fixyurdivot said:

And here I thought it was a seal.

And they all look to have hues of the i500's... which brings up a question... who was the first mfg. and which model was the original "players distance" iron?

Playing the I500s they are a bit similar. The players distance category took off with Taylormade and PXG offerings a few years back, but tough to nail down an exact date or model, as it depends on your definition of player distance irons. And I am sure some with much more knowledge than myself will bring up a club like these from years back that had some of this same features.

  • Like 1

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g 6.5 (2021 Official Review) | :taylormade-small: '07 Burner 15° Reax 50 Stiff 

:titelist-small: 816 H1 18° Fujikura Speeder HB 8.8 Stiff | :titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Diamana S+ Blue 70 Stiff

:ping-small:  I500 5 - UW Red Dot Dynamic Gold S300 | :Hogan: Equalizer 52° / 56° KBS Tour V 110 Stiff

:cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0 | :ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Left Dash Pro V1x| Right Handed 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, ejgaudette said:

Playing the I500s they are a bit similar. The players distance category took off with Taylormade and PXG offerings a few years back, but tough to nail down an exact date or model, as it depends on your definition of player distance irons. And I am sure some with much more knowledge than myself will bring up a club like these from years back that had some of this same features.

Interesting.  I honestly don't know the origins of the relatively new (perhaps newest) club category. Outwardly it certainly speaks to a large portion of the playing audience bell-curve... myself included.  

What irons did you game prior to the i500's?  Did you look at any other PD irons when deciding on them?

  • Like 1

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Interesting.  I honestly don't know the origins of the relatively new (perhaps newest) club category. Outwardly it certainly speaks to a large portion of the playing audience bell-curve... myself included.  

What irons did you game prior to the i500's?  Did you look at any other PD irons when deciding on them?

I played the 08 TM Burners. I know TM started moving into this space with their M2 Tour irons and M1 irons before the filled P790. When fitting I stuck almost exclusively to this category, for better or worse. Swing was not as consistent at the time but wanted the slimmer profile. I looked at P790, AP3, I500, JPX 900 Forged, Callaway Apex 16. I liked the feel of the I500 the best, but still gave the forgiveness and have the best distance/dispersion for me.

  • Like 1

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g 6.5 (2021 Official Review) | :taylormade-small: '07 Burner 15° Reax 50 Stiff 

:titelist-small: 816 H1 18° Fujikura Speeder HB 8.8 Stiff | :titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Diamana S+ Blue 70 Stiff

:ping-small:  I500 5 - UW Red Dot Dynamic Gold S300 | :Hogan: Equalizer 52° / 56° KBS Tour V 110 Stiff

:cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0 | :ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Left Dash Pro V1x| Right Handed 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, ejgaudette said:

I played the 08 TM Burners. I know TM started moving into this space with their M2 Tour irons and M1 irons before the filled P790. When fitting I stuck almost exclusively to this category, for better or worse. Swing was not as consistent at the time but wanted the slimmer profile. I looked at P790, AP3, I500, JPX 900 Forged, Callaway Apex 16. I liked the feel of the I500 the best, but still gave the forgiveness and have the best distance/dispersion for me.

Yea, I'm drawn to these as well but in all honesty don't know if that's the right direction.  I'm really looking forward to a bag fitting this winter and seeing what they recommend.  I did hit both the i210 and i500's last winter and both provided more distance than my G410's without any loss in accuracy.  I liked the feel and look of i500's better. 

  • Like 1

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, fixyurdivot said:

Yea, I'm drawn to these as well but in all honesty don't know if that's the right direction.  I'm really looking forward to a bag fitting this winter and seeing what they recommend.  I did hit both the i210 and i500's last winter and both provided more distance than my G410's without any loss in accuracy.  I liked the feel and look of i500's better. 

Nice I would also say the only think I have noticed now playing them a bit more is you really feel those thin ones. The speed slot on something like the P770 or 790 could help that, though I see a full PING bag so not sure if you are looking to change brands.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g 6.5 (2021 Official Review) | :taylormade-small: '07 Burner 15° Reax 50 Stiff 

:titelist-small: 816 H1 18° Fujikura Speeder HB 8.8 Stiff | :titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Diamana S+ Blue 70 Stiff

:ping-small:  I500 5 - UW Red Dot Dynamic Gold S300 | :Hogan: Equalizer 52° / 56° KBS Tour V 110 Stiff

:cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0 | :ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Left Dash Pro V1x| Right Handed 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...