Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Rapsodo R-Motion Review

Ken_805

A little late to the game here, per usual.  But I gave it a go.

I decided to give the R-Motion a try mostly because it advertises that it gives some basic information about my swing but also because it integrates, and comes with, a free version of a simulator.  The reviews on R-Motion are mixed at best, but I was hoping I would be able to get one of the better experiences.  There are a few aspects to the R-Motion to dig into; the R-Motion device, the App, the data and the Simulator.

Pros:

• Relatively reliant ball flight and swing path display on the R-Motion app and GameGolf.
  • Free simulator GameGolf is a quite fun and useful.  Great for a quick 18 rounds at home.

Cons:

• Both GameGolf and R-Motion provide little to no instruction out of the box.  Almost everything of value I found were on forums….still varied by “experts”.
  • Neither GameGolf nor R-Motion provide a user friendly experience to rename or add clubs.  R-Motion provides a full range to choose from, but GameGolf is unnecessarily restrictive.
  • I saw on several GameGolf forums you cannot change the loft more than 5 degrees from the default…….true…..however change it 5 degrees, save setting, then change it 5 degrees more and you’re good to go.
  • R-Motion club attachment is horrendous.   Buying multiple is stupid expensive.  Regular blue putty from a hardware store is the fix.
  • R-Motion uses some variance of Rolomotion to acquire swing data.  Problem is, if you top or stuff a ball it looks at swing path and may show a great hit.
  • GameGolf – short chips take some getting used to.  Putting is absolutely pointless.  There is a setting to automatically take a 1 or 2 stroke based on distance.
  • R-Motion – On my Pixel phone I cannot let the R-Motion turn on before logging in or the app will freeze then need to restart phone.  Must login first, then activate the R-Motion device.
  • No way to export swing data or track progress.

I brought R-Motion with me to an indoor practice facility using a ForeSight tracking system.  The two systems track different data points so it is difficult to say if R-Motion was accurate or not, however I feel the R-Motion was reasonably close for the most part and flight path was comparable.  There were definitely shots that the two provided very different numbers (assuming ForeSight tracker is accurate).

Would I recommend R-Motion?  No.  The data it provides just doesn’t help me improve my practice and the mishits are too unreliable.  Also, take into consideration that Rapsodo doesn’t appear to sell it any longer.

Me: I’m a beginner/recreational golfer (mid/high 90s).  Been playing for several years, but that typically has meant 3 or 4 rounds a year having a few beers with friends.  Recently, prior to quarantine, I started to take a real interest in golf and wanted to actually improve my game. 

Thanks for the honest review. I have been looking into these as well and I believe I will be waiting for Android support for Rhapsodo before looking deeper.

Driver : :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 9* MC Kuro Kago Silver 60 Stiff

Woods : :benhogan-small: GS53 3 Wood 14* Mitsubish Tensei Blue 73g Regular

Hybrids: sub70logo.png.3c207e4e90c1eeca7b9a917b5fa4b848.png 949X Project X HZRDUS RDX Black 

Irons : sub70logo.png.3c207e4e90c1eeca7b9a917b5fa4b848.png 699 Pro Black 5-AW 1* flat KBS Tour V 90 Stiff Shafts 

Wedges : File:Kirkland Signature logo.svg - Wikimedia Commons 52, 56, 60 

Putter : :taylormade-small:Spider Red

Bag : datrek-brand_1456761019__86876.original.jpg.7c24f9ae71c7730ce29a828226731487.jpg lightweight cart bag | motocaddy.jpg.258c0b46e60c2804fc6b1f64bca0aef3.jpgDry Series Bag

Ball :  :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX (2019) | Screen-Shot-2017-07-20-at-7_24.05-AM-300x118.png.9f1c4cb1d62511ee40a05bd6d5795f97.png ProV1x (2021)

Rangefinder : 836d5c8b9e44880db86abcd3b735255d.w2480_h836.jpg.bcd4050c642957abbdca7453a6cb0469.jpg ULT-X

Pushcart : motocaddy.jpg.258c0b46e60c2804fc6b1f64bca0aef3.jpgM5 GPS DHC Electric Push Cart

SoCal, USA

Right handed HDCP 16.4

Is the R motion something different from the launch monitor system?  I noticed something about it when I was downloading the LM app. 

Thanks for the review

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I believe the R-motion he is referring to is not the MLM that uses a sensor attached to your phone. The R-Motion is a small sensor you attach to the shaft that tries to calculate this information. 

I tried out R-Motion on mobile app about a year ago and through it gave me some good information it was very cumbersome. I was hoping to couple it with my Optishot 2 since R-motion displays face angle, path and attack angle. which is something Optishot is a bit questionable or non existent.  

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
4W:  Maltby KE4 
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50,54,58: Maltby TSW

Putter:  L.A.B. DF2.1 Accra Shaft 2023 Forum Testers - L.A.B. Putters
Ball: Mixed prefer ProV1 or Snell
Handicap: 9.2  -  Best Score: 72 (E) Springdale CC, Canton NC -2022

2020 Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

Ri

On 9/22/2020 at 6:52 AM, revkev said:

Is the R motion something different from the launch monitor system?  I noticed something about it when I was downloading the LM app. 

Thanks for the review

Yeah, R-Motion by Rapsodo is different product than the launch monitor. It was mostly advertised as a swing analyzer with budget simulator.

• 4 weeks later...

I like my R Motion. It was only $100 last year and comes with a basic version of TGC with maybe 15 courses. As far as sim golf its fun and great for a quick round of golf and its cheap. Its more of a competitor of Optishot so you cant really expect it to be as accurate as something 20-30 times more expensive. The app is pretty crappy so dont bother. I think they didnt put much into the app. Check out rapsodo R-motion forum on facebook. 

CobraF9 driver 8*G, GBB Epic 3w, Callaway FT 3 hybrid, Cobra F8 one irons 5-G, Callaway JAWS 54* and 60* wedges, Odyssey Red Ball putter