TESTERS WANTED! ×

Wedge Stamping

Double sided tape is the way to go for securing the putter, make sure you have a sturdy, rigid bench. For hand stamps, check Mcmaster-Carr. They will have many different sizes, fonts, etc. I would get stamps that are rated for around 28 - 36 Rockwell C hardness so they will work with any kind of putter material.

I'm a hockey player playing golf today.
TSR3, Ventus Blue Velocore 7X
JPX 921 Tour Irons
Evnroll EV5.1
ProV1x

• 3 weeks later...

This thread is awesome. Might be my next project. 

Driver: :titelist-small: TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X

Fairway: :titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 Ventus Blue 8X 

Hybrid:  :taylormade-small: Sim 2 - 19 Hybrid Tensei Orange 90TX

Irons:  :taylormade-small: P790 4-5 P7MC Raw 6-PW MMT 125TX

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM8 50.10F, 54.10S - X100 & 58.04T S400

Putter: Lajosi DD201

:titelist-small: Pro V1X Left Dash

This thread is awesome. Might be my next project. 

Glad you enjoy it! It’s a frustrating, but fun adventure to go on!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

I was asked via PM to take some step by step pics of how I'm stamping and post them. I said I would, and since I'm a man of my word.....scroll away. 

When I first started this, I got a nice straight piece of 3/8 x 4" flat stock and milled half of the bar nice and flat for an anvil. Here is how I get set up to stamp. First is the obvious vise, and once secure I throw on a piece of double sided grip tape as my "clamp".

1635477119_1Stampsetup.jpg.cc6f57b27afb751bb454c5d794f1c505.jpg

I press the wedge firmly into the tape and get a nice grip.

1324654235_2-2xtape.jpg.71177a167d7d16a86c24e2add666189a.jpg

Next, more double sided grip tape to cover the "working" are of the wedge I'm going to stamp. I roll this pretty good making sure it has a tight grip. I don't want the tape shifting while I stamp, I'll explain more in later steps.

1983463409_3-Wegestamping1.jpg.e823bd866312e0052c05e09936b64f05.jpg

Once I'm satisfied with the tape, I like to mark "no-go" areas so I don't try to stamp over, or in an existing impression/milling. 

97724610_4-no-gomarking.jpg.f90637c15615ca6739b1adf84146d6ab.jpg

Now for the first strike. Not a typo, I hit multiple times. The first hit is always a light tap. Just enough force for the stamp to make an impression into the tape, but no where near the force to mark the steel of the wedge. This gives me the opportunity to mess around with different stamps and patterns without doing anything permanent, however this is where you want the tape to be good and gripped on the wedge. This is definitely not the time for the stamp, or the tape to slide around. If I don't like it, tear off the tape, throw more on, and try again. As you can see, the tape has a slight depression. This is just what I want to see. 

1891871571_5-1ststrike.jpg.92b92cb79fae2503678d3c110bc36103.jpg

If I like the pattern then its time to make things as permanent as marriage to a lawyer. With the 1st strike I created a depression into the thick grip tape that makes it very easy for the stamp to slide right back into and self align to the original patterns I set. Make sure your stamp is straight up and down, make a firm, intentional hit to the stamp and move on to the next area. In this pic you can see the first depression at the top very clearly after hitting it more firmly a second time around. 

299309599_6-2ndstrike.jpg.d4f9968873dd1ed134d9410414ecacca.jpg

After I've made all of the hits I planned on, time to take the tape off. Its at this point where I can do some touch up strikes if I didn't get it hard enough while the tape was on. 

903249568_7-Finished.jpg.2f8dc5e29e6dd2d1b0b53d489c8333b4.jpg

There will be at least one person who reads this and has the question "how hard do I hit it?". I use a 3 pound machinists hammer, and you'll always see me making strikes with my hand gripping the neck of the hammer very close to the head. I never drive the hammer to the stamp. Instead, I let the hammer fall on the stamp and let gravity do the job. If it helps you to understand, think of it like I'm dropping the hammer on the stamp without ever letting go.

This isn't a strong mans process. You don't have to, and in fact, you shouldn't stamp with heavy handed strikes. There's no need for that kind of force. Hit it like you mean it, not like it owes you money and you'll be fine. I hope this helps someone who's thinking about trying this. 

Shank's Tentative 2024 WITB

O.B. Finder- Paradym Smoke Ai TD 9*/Ventus TR Blue 6X +1/D

FW- Callaway UW 17*/VA Composites Nemesys 7X

4H- Paradym Super Hybrid/Ventus Velo Blue 8X

5-AW- Apex 21 $-Taper 120S Blackout- (almost time for a new set of something....)

Spoons- Vokey Jet Black SM9 50.08 F/54.10 S/58.08 M Jet Black/Accra iWedge Tour (Until the SM10's drop)

Flat One- Bettinardi Hive Poison Kool-Aid Innovai 6.0

Left Dash ALL DAY/14-way Vessel Players 4 (Thank GOD they finally fully enclosed each club pocket)

14 minutes ago, Shank Aaron said:

I was asked via PM to take some step by step pics of how I'm stamping and post them. I said I would, and since I'm a man of my word.....scroll away. 

When I first started this, I got a nice straight piece of 3/8 x 4" flat stock and milled half of the bar nice and flat for an anvil. Here is how I get set up to stamp. First is the obvious vise, and once secure I throw on a piece of double sided grip tape as my "clamp".

1635477119_1Stampsetup.jpg.cc6f57b27afb751bb454c5d794f1c505.jpg

I press the wedge firmly into the tape and get a nice grip.

1324654235_2-2xtape.jpg.71177a167d7d16a86c24e2add666189a.jpg

Next, more double sided grip tape to cover the "working" are of the wedge I'm going to stamp. I roll this pretty good making sure it has a tight grip. I don't want the tape shifting while I stamp, I'll explain more in later steps.

1983463409_3-Wegestamping1.jpg.e823bd866312e0052c05e09936b64f05.jpg

Once I'm satisfied with the tape, I like to mark "no-go" areas so I don't try to stamp over, or in an existing impression/milling. 

97724610_4-no-gomarking.jpg.f90637c15615ca6739b1adf84146d6ab.jpg

Now for the first strike. Not a typo, I hit multiple times. The first hit is always a light tap. Just enough force for the stamp to make an impression into the tape, but no where near the force to mark the steel of the wedge. This gives me the opportunity to mess around with different stamps and patterns without doing anything permanent, however this is where you want the tape to be good and gripped on the wedge. This is definitely not the time for the stamp, or the tape to slide around. If I don't like it, tear off the tape, throw more on, and try again. As you can see, the tape has a slight depression. This is just what I want to see. 

1891871571_5-1ststrike.jpg.92b92cb79fae2503678d3c110bc36103.jpg

If I like the pattern then its time to make things as permanent as marriage to a lawyer. With the 1st strike I created a depression into the thick grip tape that makes it very easy for the stamp to slide right back into and self align to the original patterns I set. Make sure your stamp is straight up and down, make a firm, intentional hit to the stamp and move on to the next area. In this pic you can see the first depression at the top very clearly after hitting it more firmly a second time around. 

299309599_6-2ndstrike.jpg.d4f9968873dd1ed134d9410414ecacca.jpg

After I've made all of the hits I planned on, time to take the tape off. Its at this point where I can do some touch up strikes if I didn't get it hard enough while the tape was on. 

903249568_7-Finished.jpg.2f8dc5e29e6dd2d1b0b53d489c8333b4.jpg

There will be at least one person who reads this and has the question "how hard do I hit it?". I use a 3 pound machinists hammer, and you'll always see me making strikes with my hand gripping the neck of the hammer very close to the head. I never drive the hammer to the stamp. Instead, I let the hammer fall on the stamp and let gravity do the job. If it helps you to understand, think of it like I'm dropping the hammer on the stamp without ever letting go.

This isn't a strong mans process. You don't have to, and in fact, you shouldn't stamp with heavy handed strikes. There's no need for that kind of force. Hit it like you mean it, not like it owes you money and you'll be fine. I hope this helps someone who's thinking about trying this. 

This was great thank you

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

On 12/17/2020 at 7:00 PM, Nolan220 said:

This was great thank you

Appreciate it, hopefully it will help someone out with their project. All I need to do now is get the stamps paint filled and it'll be all done except for the build work. 

5-AW- Apex 21 $-Taper 120S Blackout- (almost time for a new set of something....)

Spoons- Vokey Jet Black SM9 50.08 F/54.10 S/58.08 M Jet Black/Accra iWedge Tour (Until the SM10's drop)

Left Dash ALL DAY/14-way Vessel Players 4 (Thank GOD they finally fully enclosed each club pocket)

1 minute ago, Shank Aaron said:

Appreciate it, hopefully it will help someone out with their project. All I need to do now is get the stamps paint filled and it'll be all done except for the build work. 

yes this will def help ... post pics when the paint is filled would love to is it .. 

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

2 minutes ago, Nolan220 said:

yes this will def help ... post pics when the paint is filled would love to is it .. 

You betcha. I'll post info for what I use to paint fill as well. Good info to have. 

You guys have the right idea. Used to own a metal machine shop and in my opinion, the thicker the metal plate and the sturdier it is makes a world of difference. Make sure it does not give or move when hitting the stamp. Also, don't use a claw hammer, it needs to be at least a 4lb dead blow hammer. Just my thoughts.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

• 1 year later...

Reviving this thread. Anyone try stamping based on the info here? How'd it turn out for you? Pics?

8 hours ago, Shank Aaron said:

Reviving this thread. Anyone try stamping based on the info here? How'd it turn out for you? Pics?

I unfortunately haven't been able to as I previously didn't have the space. However I did just move into a new house two days ago with a workshop in the basement. I plan on turning this into  club building setup and I will be putting some wedge stamping equipment in there as well. 

I'll be sure to post some updates as well as pictures once the dust from the move settles and I start getting some equipment,. 

Driver:  :titleist-small: TSR3 8°, set to A1, Graphite Design UB 7X 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small:SIM 3 Wood 15°, Aldila Rouge Silver 7X

3 Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 18°, Ventus Blue 8S

2 Utility: :srixon-small: ZX Utility, LA Golf Tour AXS Blue, (15th club)

4i-AW:  :srixon-small:ZX7, Tour Issue Dynamic Gold 120's S400

56°: :Sub70: TAIII, Dynamic Gold S400

60° :Sub70: TAIII, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :L.A.B.: Mezz1 Max

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour BX

Forum Reviews: 

:Sub70: Official Member Review Sub 70 TAIII Wedges

:Nippon: Official Member Review Zelos 7 Shaft Review

:vokey-small:Unofficial Vokey SM8 and Wedge & Wedge Works Review 

:srixon-small:Unofficial Srixon 2021 ZX7 Iron Review

:titleist-small: Unofficial TSR3 Review

On 8/8/2022 at 7:33 PM, ZMendle10 said:

I unfortunately haven't been able to as I previously didn't have the space. However I did just move into a new house two days ago with a workshop in the basement. I plan on turning this into  club building setup and I will be putting some wedge stamping equipment in there as well. 

I'll be sure to post some updates as well as pictures once the dust from the move settles and I start getting some equipment,. 

Did you get a house big enough to fit all that sand you carry around on the NJ Am Tour?

• 2 months later...
On 9/22/2020 at 6:13 AM, ZMendle10 said:

Does anyone do their own wedge stamping and know of I would be able to purchase said stamps? I have the basics of numbers and letters but I am curious if anyone knows where I can find like custom shapes.

I have had success with custom stamps from Etsy.

GHIN 7.8

D Callaway Epic Flash subzero 10.5 down to 9.5

3W Callaway Epic Flash Subzero 14.5

3 sub 70 19.5

5 Srixon ZX5

6-AW Srixon ZX7

56 Titelist SM8 

60 Titelist SM7

P Scotty Cameron 2014 Newport 2.0 Select

Bag: BagBoy ZTF 2023 https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/59331-2023-forum-member-test-bag-boy-ztf-bag/