TESTERS WANTED! ×

Upgrade 3 Wood this year or wait

ZMendle10

Does anyone have any input on whether its worth waiting till next year to upgrade my 3 wood now or wait until for the 2021 releases. I currently game a Cobra Comp 3 wood so technology wise everything is going to be better than what I currently have.

Driver:  :titleist-small: TSR3 8°, set to A1, Graphite Design UB 7X 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small:SIM 3 Wood 15°, Aldila Rouge Silver 7X

3 Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 18°, Ventus Blue 8S

2 Utility: :srixon-small: ZX Utility, LA Golf Tour AXS Blue, (15th club)

4i-AW:  :srixon-small:ZX7, Tour Issue Dynamic Gold 120's S400

56°: :Sub70: TAIII, Dynamic Gold S400

60° :Sub70: TAIII, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :L.A.B.: Mezz1 Max

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour BX

Forum Reviews: 

:Sub70: Official Member Review Sub 70 TAIII Wedges

:Nippon: Official Member Review Zelos 7 Shaft Review

:vokey-small:Unofficial Vokey SM8 and Wedge & Wedge Works Review 

:srixon-small:Unofficial Srixon 2021 ZX7 Iron Review

:titleist-small: Unofficial TSR3 Review

1 hour ago, ZMendle10 said:

Does anyone have any input on whether its worth waiting till next year to upgrade my 3 wood now or wait until for the 2021 releases. I currently game a Cobra Comp 3 wood so technology wise everything is going to be better than what I currently have.

The problem with this dilemma is that is will ALWAYS happen, regardless of when you purchase your clubs; there are always going to be new clubs on the horizon. For me, it comes down to one thing: how important your budget is to you. If budget plays a big part in your decision, I'd buy when the current year's model's price drops. If budget doesn't matter, then go ahead and wait for the new models! There shouldn't be a huge leap in technology between the two years. But, remember, no matter when you choose to upgrade, this problem is bound to arise!

:mizuno-small: ST 200 9.5°, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 S

:mizuno-small: ST 200 3w 15°, Diamana S+ 60 S

:srixon-small: Z H85 3h 19°, Project X Hzrdus Black Hybrid 6.0

:taylormade-small: P770 (2017) 4-PW, KBS Tour FLT 120 S

:vokey-small: SM8 50.08F, 54.14F, 58.08M, KBS Tour S

:ping-small: Sigma 2 Fetch 34"

:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

12 minutes ago, adamflowers said:

The problem with this dilemma is that is will ALWAYS happen, regardless of when you purchase your clubs; there are always going to be new clubs on the horizon. For me, it comes down to one thing: how important your budget is to you. If budget plays a big part in your decision, I'd buy when the current year's model's price drops. If budget doesn't matter, then go ahead and wait for the new models! There shouldn't be a huge leap in technology between the two years. But, remember, no matter when you choose to upgrade, this problem is bound to arise!

The thing that is making me consider next year is that here in New Jersey the season has about 2 months left at best so by the time i get fitted and receive said club I will get only a small handful of rounds in with it before the end of the season.

Forum Reviews: 

Are you looking at a particular model or manufacturer? Companies like Cobra and Titleist are probably not releasing their new woods until late in the season or the offseason. I’d say wait if you’re interested in those. The Titleist TS series are discounted now, though. If you don’t think you can get significant practice in over the winter with the new clubs, I’d say wait. But if you can get to the range often, I’d take advantage of the discounted models now. 

:mizuno-small: ST 200 9.5°, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 S

:mizuno-small: ST 200 3w 15°, Diamana S+ 60 S

:srixon-small: Z H85 3h 19°, Project X Hzrdus Black Hybrid 6.0

:taylormade-small: P770 (2017) 4-PW, KBS Tour FLT 120 S

:vokey-small: SM8 50.08F, 54.14F, 58.08M, KBS Tour S

:ping-small: Sigma 2 Fetch 34"

:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

As well the Speedzone series has just had prices rolled back a but

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

I did not know that both the Titleist and Cobra were both discounted. I might have to make a point to try them out now in that case.

Forum Reviews: 

Are you going to get fitted for your new club or just buy it off the rack?  If you are going to get fitted, I would think now would be a better time to buy than in the Spring because your swing is in better shape than after a several month layoff.  I would think it would be best to get fitted to your real swing.

• :taylormade-small: Sim 2 Driver Fujikura Ventus Blue 6R shaft
  • :taylormade-small:Sim 2 5 wood Fujikura Ventus Blue 5R shaft
  •  th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0311 Gen 5 Seven Wood Project X Cypher 50 5.5 shaft set to flat with weights set to fade.
  • :titelist-small: H818 Hybrid 25 degrees Tensei ck Series 60 HY regular flex shafts at C4 setting (flat for lefties)
  • :titelist-small: 718 AP1 irons 6-gap Tensei ck Series AMC IR regular flex bent two degrees flat
  • :vokey-small: SM 7 Wedge 58 degrees M grind with 8 bounce Steel shafts wedge flex bent 2 degrees flat
  • :ping-small: Glide 3 52.12 and 56.14 with  Alta CB Red Regular Flex shaft bent 2 degrees flat
  • Go back and forth between :cameron-small: Select Newport 2 putter 34 inch length and :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne putter 33 inch length
  • Bridgestone B X.

44 minutes ago, HAC said:

Are you going to get fitted for your new club or just buy it off the rack?  If you are going to get fitted, I would think now would be a better time to buy than in the Spring because your swing is in better shape than after a several month layoff.  I would think it would be best to get fitted to your real swing.

I do plan on getting fitted and with that in mind it does make sense to do it now when I am pretty confident with my swing.

Forum Reviews: 

There won’t be a lot of club advances between this years and last years models. For the amount you probably should be hitting 3 wood get a cheaper model from this year. Since we are reaching the end of the golf year, Probably want to get fit sooner rather than later to get ideal configuration unless you want to hunt the internet for specific configuration.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

57 minutes ago, cnosil said:

There won’t be a lot of club advances between this years and last years models. For the amount you probably should be hitting 3 wood get a cheaper model from this year. Since we are reaching the end of the golf year, Probably want to get fit sooner rather than later to get ideal configuration unless you want to hunt the internet for specific configuration.

Fair point. There are plenty of times where I keep my driver in the bag and opt for my 3 wood more often on tight par 4's then trying to reach a green in 2 on a par 5. Keeping the ball in play and out of trouble off the tee is really my weakest part of my game right now.

I am leaning more towards a new 3 wood this year its just a matter of pulling the trigger.

Forum Reviews: 

Fair point. There are plenty of times where I keep my driver in the bag and opt for my 3 wood more often on tight par 4's then trying to reach a green in 2 on a par 5. Keeping the ball in play and out of trouble off the tee is really my weakest part of my game right now.
I am leaning more towards a new 3 wood this year its just a matter of pulling the trigger.

Just a comment about your off the strategy. I’ve been following the work of Scott Fawcett; which is basically the same advice as my instructor is giving me, play the driver. You really gain no advantage by playing 3 wood off the tee. Dispersion patterns for 3’wood are basically the same as driver. Learn to hit driver.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

This is usually my strategy however the difference between driver and 3 wood off the tee is a difference of 70 yards vs 100 yards so currently the better option is a more consistent option off the tee.

Forum Reviews: 

11 hours ago, ZMendle10 said:

I do plan on getting fitted and with that in mind it does make sense to do it now when I am pretty confident with my swing.

Me too, but I have decided to wait a few weeks until Titleist's new clubs come out.  I love my Titleist hybrids so I think I should at least try their woods before I buy anything else, esp. when they are coming out soon.  [Note that my five wood is about 10 years old now so virtually all new ones should be better, although I do like my current five wood, which is why it is the oldest club in my bag.]

Edited by HAC
  • :taylormade-small: Sim 2 Driver Fujikura Ventus Blue 6R shaft
  • :taylormade-small:Sim 2 5 wood Fujikura Ventus Blue 5R shaft
  •  th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0311 Gen 5 Seven Wood Project X Cypher 50 5.5 shaft set to flat with weights set to fade.
  • :titelist-small: H818 Hybrid 25 degrees Tensei ck Series 60 HY regular flex shafts at C4 setting (flat for lefties)
  • :titelist-small: 718 AP1 irons 6-gap Tensei ck Series AMC IR regular flex bent two degrees flat
  • :vokey-small: SM 7 Wedge 58 degrees M grind with 8 bounce Steel shafts wedge flex bent 2 degrees flat
  • :ping-small: Glide 3 52.12 and 56.14 with  Alta CB Red Regular Flex shaft bent 2 degrees flat
  • Go back and forth between :cameron-small: Select Newport 2 putter 34 inch length and :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne putter 33 inch length
  • Bridgestone B X.

I just got a cobra speed zone on a discount, and it’s on a tensi blue stiff. I did a mild roger Dunn fitting to get there. I wanted a Mavrik really bad to match my new driver (which is insane). But nothing from any of the mav’s or sims, etc were beating my old callaway 816. They really hadn’t really tried to show me the cobra, but when I asked he said sure, let’s try it. It really put a beating on the others in the simulator, but on the real track I’m getting 10-15 Yards more.

it wasn’t a club I used a whole lot but now I’m toying with reaching a few of the par 5’s , especially if the Mav driver send out a good one. (Spoiler-the Mav driver is putting me in a lot of new places that are closer to the pin) 

I got the white paint model vs the yellow one which has a few things I really like. First off, it isn’t the black and yellow bumblebee thing. The Mav already pushes my limits with its super ugly paint and head cover, but it’s such a monster I can live with the aesthetics. The Cobra white version has a matte black with a few white accents which is truly a beautiful thing vs the glossy black and yellow...yuck!

its easy to hit as the old f8 5-6 wood I picked up a few months ago, so it appears I’m turning into a Cobra fanboy...

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

2 hours ago, Sluggo42 said:

I just got a cobra speed zone on a discount, and it’s on a tensi blue stiff. I did a mild roger Dunn fitting to get there. I wanted a Mavrik really bad to match my new driver (which is insane). But nothing from any of the mav’s or sims, etc were beating my old callaway 816. They really hadn’t really tried to show me the cobra, but when I asked he said sure, let’s try it. It really put a beating on the others in the simulator, but on the real track I’m getting 10-15 Yards more.

it wasn’t a club I used a whole lot but now I’m toying with reaching a few of the par 5’s , especially if the Mav driver send out a good one. (Spoiler-the Mav driver is putting me in a lot of new places that are closer to the pin) 

I got the white paint model vs the yellow one which has a few things I really like. First off, it isn’t the black and yellow bumblebee thing. The Mav already pushes my limits with its super ugly paint and head cover, but it’s such a monster I can live with the aesthetics. The Cobra white version has a matte black with a few white accents which is truly a beautiful thing vs the glossy black and yellow...yuck!

its easy to hit as the old f8 5-6 wood I picked up a few months ago, so it appears I’m turning into a Cobra fanboy...

Knowing that the Cobra clubs are discounted is a huge plus on getting a new 3 wood this fall. I love the black and white finish on the cobra speedzone as well as the color scheme on the tour version.

Forum Reviews: 

Usually the advice is to hold on to a 3 wood once you've found one you're in love with.... but with one that old it might be worth looking at one sooner than later. I found distance and forgiveness to have really come thru on a lot of these new models. You should see some good deals coming out soon on current models since many OEMs will be releasing their new stuff soon... maybe give a G410 fw a whirl and match your driver? Either way. Now or later, my thought is it will be a significant upgrade to what you're already playing.

• :callaway-small:   Mavrik SZ 9 Deg (Fujikura Ventus Black 6x)
  • :titelist-small:   TS3 3w 15 Deg (Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 7x)
  • :taylormade-small:   SIM DHY Utility 2 Iron 17 Deg (Mitsubishi Diamana Thump 90S tipped 1/2")
  • :mizuno-small:   JPX 900 Tour 4-PW (KBS C-Taper 120)
  • :titelist-small:   Vokey SM5 50/54/60 (KBS C-Taper 120 / KBS 610)
  • :taylormade-small:   Spider X Chalk; 33.5"

...... for now!

@ZMendle10 I would get whatever you need when you think you need it. If you have room for improvement then why wait. Year to year differences are minimal at best. Years to years there is marked difference. Go for it and enjoy.

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

I have a couple holes I play on the regular where a driver goes through the fairway or it's dead left/dead right punch out for any miss, so I had been playing an R11 for the year. I got a deal on a TaylorMade SIM 3 Wood with the Ventus Blue shaft for $225 and pretty happy with it after two weeks. I think I've gained at least 5-10 yards without any other changes and seems like the misses don't move as much as they used to move. We'll see how it goes with the season winding down in Minnesota pretty quick.

8 hours ago, Evegoe said:

I have a couple holes I play on the regular where a driver goes through the fairway or it's dead left/dead right punch out for any miss, so I had been playing an R11 for the year. I got a deal on a TaylorMade SIM 3 Wood with the Ventus Blue shaft for $225 and pretty happy with it after two weeks. I think I've gained at least 5-10 yards without any other changes and seems like the misses don't move as much as they used to move. We'll see how it goes with the season winding down in Minnesota pretty quick.

The SIM is definitely on my radar this year. I think I am going to schedule a fitting and pull the trigger this year. I'm feeling pretty good about my swing of late and couple that with the fact that there are some solid deals out there right now it just makes sense.

Forum Reviews: 

On 10/2/2020 at 4:16 AM, ZMendle10 said:

The SIM is definitely on my radar this year. I think I am going to schedule a fitting and pull the trigger this year. I'm feeling pretty good about my swing of late and couple that with the fact that there are some solid deals out there right now it just makes sense.

Make sure to toss a cobra speedzone into your mix of testers. I’d be interested to see how it flies for you. It’s been very good for me. It was the last club on my desired list, but won hands down...

let us know which way you go...!

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

I think the best value right now is ordering a gen2 pxg 0341.    It is one of the best 3 woods I have hit.    At 225.00, new, it is a steal

Driver: Taylormade SIM Max d 9 with graphite design tour ad xc 6s

Fairway Wood:Taylormade Sim 15 with Graphite design Tour ad iz 6s
Hybrid:  Pxg gen2 19 with hand crafted hzrdus black 85 6.0 and Adams super ls xtd 22 with Diamana s+  stiff

Irons: 5-pw Miura Mc501 with modus 120s pured

Wedges:  Callaway md2 gold 50 Dg tour issue s400 black onyx, Taylormade MG 54 with DG tour issue s400 black onyx, and Taylormade hi toe 59 with modus 120r

I did some initial testing yesterday at the range with the Titleist TS2, Taylormade SIM and SIM Max, and the Callaway Maverick 3 woods. The launch monitor was down and it was super windy so it was more to kind of just get an initial feel for what's out there before an actual fitting. So far I narrowed it down to between the TS2 and the SIM Max.

The TS2 initially had a Tensai Blue shaft in it but it was launching way too high comparatively to the others so the pro there swapped out that shaft for a Project X Even Flow T1100 White and that knocked down the spin and the extremely high ball flight. I was able to take the TS2 home with me since I will be playing this weekend and put it through it's paces on the course which I'm excited about. I will most likely be doing a proper fitting early next week as well and get some hard numbers because I feel like the TS2 is just a bit shorter than the SIM Max which I also really liked. 

There are not a lot of Cobra fitters in my area so on friday after work I'm planning on heading up to either Golf Galaxy and PGA Tour Superstore to put the TS2 up against the Cobra Speedzone line as well since I keep hearing great things about them.

Thank you everyone for the advice and insight and there will be more updates to follow as they occur. 

Forum Reviews: 

I took the TS2 out to the course this weekend for some on course testing and the TS2 is no longer being considered. I swapped it out for the SIM Max 3 wood and should be putting it through its paces on the course this week. 

Forum Reviews: 

On 10/3/2020 at 2:14 PM, Hotdocta said:

I think the best value right now is ordering a gen2 pxg 0341.    It is one of the best 3 woods I have hit.    At 225.00, new, it is a steal

I tried this one out yesterday and loved the look of it behind the ball. I just wasn't able hit it well which was a bit disappointing but I can definitely see why you would vouch for it because when struck well it is a rocket.

Forum Reviews: 

My two cents but you really should give Tour Edge a look.  They make great fairways and hybrids that are great from the turf or tee, and the price point is always a great deal.  No "made for" shafts either...

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

1 hour ago, Getoffmylawn said:

My two cents but you really should give Tour Edge a look.  They make great fairways and hybrids that are great from the turf or tee, and the price point is always a great deal.  No "made for" shafts either...

I have heard good things about Tour Edge however I do not have any retailers near me so I am unable to try out any of their products. I also am able to get a decent enough discount on Taylormade which helps with the cost on their products a lot.

Forum Reviews: 

The moment you all have been waiting for. I went forward with getting fitted for my 3 wood this fall and as it turns out my best fit 3 wood was the same one as the pro who was fitting me. Since he says he hardly uses it he ended up selling me his 3 wood with the ventus black shaft. 20201026_075902.jpeg.1db10565667ad885225023c300861b93.jpeg20201026_075927.jpeg.487ed8c83b504da8ed98aa01a89bfa71.jpeg20201026_080003.jpeg.3486c26ba655ef559735d33944b3fea9.jpeg20201026_080012.jpeg.2b52c22fc9482ec6b2717398056df9a9.jpeg

Forum Reviews: