TESTERS WANTED! ×

Perfect Club Fitting

cnosil

Thought this was a great read about club fitting. Seems to sum up my opinion and many of the opinions on the forum. I think it might be a good must read before you go to a fitting.

https://pluggedingolf.com/there-is-no-perfect-fit/

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Great points.  Too many think that after a fit, they'll suddenly become a scratch golfer.  Kind of like fad diets....lose the weight without the work.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Good article-balanced perspective - I agree with all of it except “Club Champion is the best club fitter around.” They’re not the worst, but you can definitely get a useless fitting at CC, I did and it cost me $400+. And their “guarantee” doesn’t help.

The quote below from the article says it all to me.

My only beef is the people who recommend fitting as the best answer for everyone always. Lessons and practice will do more for most players than fitting unless you’re using 30 year old clubs or somehow you’ve been grossly misfit (unlikely but possible). If you’ve been grossly misfit, any Golf Galaxy can probably tell you for free.

4: You can always blame your clubs…

…and you won’t be entirely wrong!  If you had a stiffer shaft, that hooked drive might have ended up in the fairway.  Now if we’re being fair, the slice you hit earlier may have been worse and the three good drives you hit might have been OB, but, yes, a stiffer shaft might have saved that one hook.

No matter how good the fitting is, no matter how much we spend on our clubs, no matter how much we practice, we will hit bad shots.  And, in theory, those shots could have been saved by different equipment choices.  But those different equipment choices would have produced different bad shots at other times.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

37 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Thought this was a great read about club fitting. Seems to sum up my opinion and many of the opinions on the forum. I think it might be a good must read before you go to a fitting.

https://pluggedingolf.com/there-is-no-perfect-fit/

Are you trying to tell me something? 🤣  I fit solidly into the "you've been fit but are second guessing the results" situation.  Perhaps had my fitting been at a True Spec or Club Champion, I would have already moved towards lessons, but I have suspicions.  I may very well end up spending $400 to find out my arrows match me as good as any other mfg./model... but it will be worth it to me just to eliminate that gnawing doubt.

This is a really good article and Matt makes many solid points about the fitting process.  With my last decision being where to do the fitting, I found this statement worth note.  They have everything TS has plus they carry Wilson - and I'd really like to see how the D7's compare.

image.png.5db60914922ebf77c32ea269bfe1bd95.png

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

That was such a great read and so spot on that I've booked marked it for the next time I'm tempted to change clubs or bag set up.  I loved it when Matt was a MGS regular.  He's full of wit and common sense.

Thanks!!!

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

That was such a great read and so spot on that I've booked marked it for the next time I'm tempted to change clubs or bag set up.  I loved it when Matt was a MGS regular.  He's full of wit and common sense.

Thanks!!!

I thought the same thing; even think it should be a bookmark on the MGS forum but I don’t make those decisions.

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Good article, I agree with all of it except “Club Champion is the best club fitter around.” They’re not the worst, but you can definitely get a useless fitting at CC, I did and it cost me $400+. And their “guarantee” doesn’t help.
My only beef is the people who recommend fitting as the best answer for everyone always. Lessons and practice will do more for most players than fitting unless you’re using 30 year old clubs or somehow you’ve been grossly misfit (unlikely but possible). If you’ve been grossly misfit, any Golf Galaxy can probably tell you for free.

Yep, we know you don’t like club champion. As you said if you took them out of the article, it is still accurate and details how fittings actually work. They are not a magic bullet that will fix your game. You need to actually work on your game to do that.

I still believe that properly fit clubs will provide an advantage over non fit clubs. Potentially a fitting at a place like golf
Galaxy can produce favorable results, but more often than not, the caliber of person doing the fitting isn’t the highest.

As one of the most wanted testers I am in probably more of a unique position than most others on the forum. I get to hit most any club on the market and while looking at things genetically all the clubs in a category perform adequately. Yes, There are exceptions but you get reasonable performance. The knowledge fitter has the ability to take that up a step or two since they should have the knowledge to look at the numbers and understand what you do consistently. All swings have a consistent pattern, it is the slight variations that cause the results to vary.

^^^ I said it was a great article. I said GG could tell you if you’re grossly misfit, I didn’t say GG was a good choice for all fittings. And what makes sense for a 7 HI is not the same as most players with higher HI’s.

Again, great article for anyone to read, thanks.

• Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

45 minutes ago, revkev said:

Thanks!!!

Come on Rev, who dosen't want to experience golfs equivalent of a trip to Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory... at least once.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I wonder if in the future, there will be some sort of AI-driven fittings. Not like the TrueGolfFit which asks a bunch of questions, but something like a smarter version of the Mizuno optimizer that recommends clubhead and shaft based on your individual swing. 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

great read and a lot of important points. 

the big takeaway is that equipment, not matter how optimized, won't do the work for you.  the best gym in the world won't get you in shape the same way the best clubs for you wont make you a scratch golfer.

that being said,  if i'm gonna go spend a big chunk of money on golf clubs, i want the confidence to know that what i'm swinging is going to be a good match for me now, and at least for the foreseeable future. 

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

One thing I did not like about the fittings that I have had to date is that the places I went to did not have the universal adapters on the clubheads and shafts, so I was limited to whatever shafts they had for that particular OEM. That is my fault for not asking about that first.

Updated 07/15/2022
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip

On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 10:46 AM, dlow206 said:

I wonder if in the future, there will be some sort of AI-driven fittings. Not like the TrueGolfFit which asks a bunch of questions, but something like a smarter version of the Mizuno optimizer that recommends clubhead and shaft based on your individual swing. 

I'm totally not being a wise guy here nor am I being sarcastic but isn't that what the optimizer does?  Or is it only for shaft?  Regardless its results still require interpretation.  The only "bad" fitting that I've ever had cam because of what I would consider a faulty read of the shaft optimizer.  When I looked closely at the sheet that the fitter gave me it wasn't necessarily saying that I should switch back to steel - it was spitting out the three best steel and three best graphite options for me, that day.  The three steel options happened to be listed first.  When you looked at the data I was better with two of the three graphite options that I tried than any of the steel. 

I know much better now - I start with, I'm moving towards my mid-60's, I have achy joints, I need graphite - its like eliminating a side of the fairway. 🙂

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

19 minutes ago, revkev said:

I'm totally not being a wise guy here nor am I being sarcastic but isn't that what the optimizer does?  Or is it only for shaft?  Regardless its results still require interpretation.  The only "bad" fitting that I've ever had cam because of what I would consider a faulty read of the shaft optimizer.  When I looked closely at the sheet that the fitter gave me it wasn't necessarily saying that I should switch back to steel - it was spitting out the three best steel and three best graphite options for me, that day.  The three steel options happened to be listed first.  When you looked at the data I was better with two of the three graphite options that I tried than any of the steel. 

I know much better now - I start with, I'm moving towards my mid-60's, I have achy joints, I need graphite - its like eliminating a side of the fairway. 🙂

The Mizuno optimizer is just for shafts, and I think just for shafts offered by Mizuno

Updated 07/15/2022

1 hour ago, revkev said:

50 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

The Mizuno optimizer is just for shafts, and I think just for shafts offered by Mizuno

I've done that Mizuno shaft optimizer, the latest version is called the 3D, and it's improved by leaps and bounds over the original. I am NOT saying it's a substitute for a top quality fitting, but it will get you solidly in the ballpark, and it's more useful than a bad fitting - something many players can't discern for themselves. If you're going to buy Mizuno irons/clubs (or they're on your short list), I don't know why you wouldn't include a shaft optimizer session in the fitting even if you go to a quality fitting. The shaft optimizer only takes a couple minutes.

• Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

3 minutes ago, Middler said:

I've done that Mizuno shaft optimizer, the latest version is called the 3D, and it's improved by leaps and bounds over the original. I am NOT saying it's a substitute for a top quality fitting, but it will get you solidly in the ballpark, and it's more useful than a bad fitting - something many players can't discern for themselves. If you're going to buy Mizuno irons/clubs (or they're on your short list), I don't know why you wouldn't include a shaft optimizer session in the fitting even if you go to a quality fitting. The shaft optimizer only takes a couple minutes.

I want to try the Mizuno shaft optimizer even if i am not buying Mizuno clubs, curious to see what shafts it recommends.

Updated 07/15/2022

3 hours ago, dlow206 said:

I want to try the Mizuno shaft optimizer even if i am not buying Mizuno clubs, curious to see what shafts it recommends.

It will only recommend from the options Mizuno offers, but that’s reasonably broad IMO - e.g. there are 30 for the JPX921F irons. The shafts on my JPX900F’s are the ones recommended by the Shaft Optimizer, at no additional cost, I’ve had them for 3 years and I love them. And the newer SO 3D is considerably more sophisticated.

• Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1