Getoffmylawn's Need for Speed, AND LOWER SCORES!

just out of curiosity, what style of lifting do you gravitate towards?

i have my theories on what sorts of training will translate more quickly and effectively to increased and sustainable swing speed (15+ years as a high level athlete turned coach and trainer), but don't want to impose any on you.  i'm sure you have an approach in mind, just curious as to what that is.

it's just amazing how this approach is so "revolutionary" in golf, when it's been happening for 25+ years across all major sports.

• Like 2

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

1 minute ago, Chip Strokes said:

just out of curiosity, what style of lifting do you gravitate towards?

i have my theories on what sorts of training will translate more quickly and effectively to increased and sustainable swing speed (15+ years as a high level athlete turned coach and trainer), but don't want to impose any on you.  i'm sure you have an approach in mind, just curious as to what that is.

it's just amazing how this approach is so "revolutionary" in golf, when it's been happening for 25+ years across all major sports.

Thanks. Yeah, I keep scratching my head at how impressed everyone is that he put the bulk on.  That's the easy part...especially if you eat at a calorie level that's not concerned with bodyfat increases.

DC training...mostly compound movements, one exercise per muscle group in a given workout with one heavy set in the 10-12 rep range using rest-pause, with each muscle group getting hit 3 times over the course of a 2-week period.  I'll elaborate on that more in a subsequent post, but please feel free to comment/critique on that basic premise.  

I used to be heavy into bodybuilding before I ever touched a club.  My own athletic story is a bit weird, ran 800s my freshman year of college but kept getting hamstring tears and had to find a new athletic pursuit...took up weights and went from 140 to a moderately lean 220 in my late 20s and early 30s.  Now I'm a comfortable 182 at age 42.

• Like 3

Driver:  :honma:TR20 460, Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW:  :tour-edge: CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 65g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3 & 4H, Mitsubishi MMT 80g Stiff

Iron: :mizuno-small:JPX 919 Forged 5-GW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM8 54 S Grind bent to 55, 60 M Grind bent to 59, Aerotech Steelfiber i110 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot OG Double Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1X

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!

2 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Thanks. Yeah, I keep scratching my head at how impressed everyone is that he put the bulk on.  That's the easy part...especially if you eat at a calorie level that's not concerned with bodyfat increases.

DC training...mostly compound movements, one exercise per muscle group in a given workout with one heavy set in the 10-12 rep range using rest-pause, with each muscle group getting hit 3 times over the course of a 2-week period.  I'll elaborate on that more in a subsequent post, but please feel free to comment/critique on that basic premise.  

I used to be heavy into bodybuilding before I ever touched a club.  My own athletic story is a bit weird, ran 800s my freshman year of college but kept getting hamstring tears and had to find a new athletic pursuit...took up weights and went from 140 to a moderately lean 220 in my late 20s and early 30s.  Now I'm a comfortable 182 at age 42.

so you're mostly hypertrophy based in the gym...which is completely fine and will absolutely get you the mass numbers and increased strength you're chasing.  i'd just caution you to add a yoga/deep stretching session on top of your plan of foam rolling to keep yourself fluid.  mass will move the ball, but a golf swing won't benefit from stiffness.

i competed for 5 years in CrossFit at the games level (i know, not everyones cup of tea) and then for 3 years nationally in olympic weightlifting.  i feel like almost more important than the strength gains will be the ability to transfer that mass and speed into an object efficiently.  i picked up golf in July, grabbed a driver and swung it 135mph.  i credit that to years of training in core-to-extremity movements with a bigtime focus on staying mobile and flexible.  i can squat 500lbs but can also sit and reach a foot past my toes.  

i'd cautiously estimate that most golfers can pick up speed and yardage without lifting a single weight.  mobility will allow people to swing their clubs faster and more efficiently than they can now.

• Like 5

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

7 minutes ago, Chip Strokes said:

so you're mostly hypertrophy based in the gym...which is completely fine and will absolutely get you the mass numbers and increased strength you're chasing.  i'd just caution you to add a yoga/deep stretching session on top of your plan of foam rolling to keep yourself fluid.  mass will move the ball, but a golf swing won't benefit from stiffness.

i competed for 5 years in CrossFit at the games level (i know, not everyones cup of tea) and then for 3 years nationally in olympic weightlifting.  i feel like almost more important than the strength gains will be the ability to transfer that mass and speed into an object efficiently.  i picked up golf in July, grabbed a driver and swung it 135mph.  i credit that to years of training in core-to-extremity movements with a bigtime focus on staying mobile and flexible.  i can squat 500lbs but can also sit and reach a foot past my toes.  

i'd cautiously estimate that most golfers can pick up speed and yardage without lifting a single weight.  mobility will allow people to swing their clubs faster and more efficiently than they can now.

Yeah, agree 100%.  I stretch religiously and will continue to do so.  As I said, Bryson's added bulk isn't the impressive part to me, it's that he translated it to ball speed...that's what I'm after.

I really appreciate the cautionary statements (keep 'em coming), but I promise I'm fanatical about flexibility and mobility...will always be a part of the equation.  (I do intent to include some plyometric work as well.)  A better and faster swing is the goal, not the mass...

• Like 3
  • Hmmm 1

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM8 54 S Grind bent to 55, 60 M Grind bent to 59, Aerotech Steelfiber i110 Stiff

3 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Yeah, agree 100%.  I stretch religiously and will continue to do so.  As I said, Bryson's added bulk isn't the impressive part to me, it's that he translated it to ball speed...that's what I'm after.

I really appreciate the cautionary statements (keep 'em coming), but I promise I'm fanatical about flexibility and mobility...will always be a part of the equation.

not surprised given you've been lifting for so long.  if you weren't doing mobility work along with it you'd have been hurt a long time ago haha.

have fun with the surplus calories, too.  i've bulked before and it can start to feel like a full time job.  when i was competing heavily i was eating around 4,200 cal a day, and that was just a maintenance number. 

i'm really excited to see your results!

• Like 2

If your goal is to increase SS look at fitforgolf on twitter. 

• Like 3

:taylormade-small:             SIM 9.5* (GD XC 6X) 

:taylormade-small:             SIM 15* (GD DI 7X) 

:taylormade-small:             3 DHY (GD DI HY8X)

:srixon-small:                    ZX7 4-PW (KBS C Taper S)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 49 08 F ( KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 59 04 L  (KBS 610)

:scotty-cameron-1:                Special Select SquareBack 2 33"

:titelist-small:                     ProV1

Twitter                     @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

I am doing the Golf WOD program. I bulked probably a little too hard during Covid, so going to try to drop a little body fat while increasing strength.

• Like 2

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

8 minutes ago, Chip Strokes said:

not surprised given you've been lifting for so long.  if you weren't doing mobility work along with it you'd have been hurt a long time ago haha.

have fun with the surplus calories, too.  i've bulked before and it can start to feel like a full time job.  when i was competing heavily i was eating around 4,200 cal a day, and that was just a maintenance number. 

i'm really excited to see your results!

I would be really happy if i ate 4,200 calories a day lol.

• Haha 2

Updated 07/15/2022
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip

3 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

I would be really happy if i ate 4,200 calories a day lol.

everyone thinks so, until they realize just how much food it is.  

5 eggs, two english muffins, and an avocado for breakfast comes out to a whopping....700ish calories give or take.  and thats a really huge breakfast for most people.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Chip Strokes said:

5 eggs, two english muffins, and an avocado for breakfast comes out to a whopping....700ish calories give or take.  and thats a really huge breakfast for most people.

The main challenge for me in a bulk diet is the clean part.  Very hard not to see a donut and think "eh, I'm bulking" and rationalize hoovering it.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Getoffmylawn said:

The main challenge for me in a bulk diet is the clean part.  Very hard not to see a donut and think "eh, I'm bulking" and rationalize hoovering it.  

i could never do it.  i always bulked dirty then came back down with cuts and maintenance being clean calories.  i was also in my early and mid-20s so life was a lot easier.  

now i'm 32 and i keep myself in what i call "two week shape" where i'm at most two weeks of hard work away from being in top shape.  makes life really easy when beach season rolls back around or you've gotta put a suit on that was tailored for you when you were in better shape haha

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Chip Strokes said:

I think I have an abnormal appetite. I ate a 32 oz ribeye one time in 5 minutes, no problem. Also had appetizers, bread, sides, and dessert to go along with it. Still no problem.

• Like 3

Updated 07/15/2022

The Training Program

So, here’s the weight-training program I’ll be following.  (Truth be told, I’ve been doing this for a while but will adjust the set/rep scheme, and the diet, for size/strength.)

Workouts are grouped as a “A” or “B” workout, with A workouts consisting of Chest, Shoulders, Triceps, Back Width, and Back Thickness exercises executed in that order.  B workouts are Biceps, Forearms, Calvas, Hamstrings, and Quads, again executed in that order.  The training split is then programmed to alternate A and B workouts over 2 weeks on a MWF basis.  In others words, week 1 is ABA on MWF, week 2 is BAB MWF.

The training philosophy is (after enough warm-up sets) to do one heavy working set, including rest-pause, to get to 15 reps executed in good form.  For example, do as many reps as I can without compromising form, rack the weight, pause 10-15 seconds, repeat, and do that as many times as necessary to get to 15 reps.  The only caveat is straight sets are used instead of rest-pause for most rows, deadlifts, or squats, largely for safety reasons.  Also, the rep range is higher for arm exercises.

Here's a sample A workout that I did this morning:

Hammer Strength Bench Press – 210, reps of 9, 3, 2, 1.

Dumbbell Shoulder Press – 70s, reps of 10, 3, 2

Machine Dips – 270,  reps of 8, 4, 2, 1

Hammer Strength Front Lat Pulldowns – 180, reps 8, 4, 2, 1

T-Bar Rows – 150, 2 straight sets of 8

And here’s a B workout I’ll do Friday:

Alternating dumbbell curls – 50s, reps to 20 with rest-pause

Pinwheel curls – 40s, reps to 20 with rest-pause

Seated Calf Raise – 120, reps to 12

Smith Machine Stiff-Legged Deadlift – 180, reps to 12

Hack Squat – 320, straight sets of 10-12

Ab work is a mix of planks and ab wheel sets done as “active rest” in between warm-up sets prior to the working set of the above exercises.

I also keep a log book and take notes of the weight and reps, and then force myself to beat that the next time I hit that workout the next time around, either by more weight or more reps.  The idea being once you can knock out 15 reps, it’s time to add more weight, but always improve on the last workout.

Again, I stretch religiously before each workout, during the workout, and after the workout, and each workout is also preceded by SuperSpeed training.

Also, I have creaky shoulders; separated both of them at different times…playing intramural football as a Captain actually.  So, I’ll usually go a bit lighter for shoulders at a higher rep range, and rely a little more on Hammer Strength machines in particular than most would recommend, if only to try and preserve shoulder health.

I have no plans to post YouTube videos of myself working out or anything corny like that, but I will post progress as far as weight gained, and weight/rep gains on exercises as I go.

As always, I’m more than open to comments/questions/feedback. 

• Like 3
  • Hmmm 1

21 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

The Training Program

So, here’s the weight-training program I’ll be following.  (Truth be told, I’ve been doing this for a while but will adjust the set/rep scheme, and the diet, for size/strength.)

Workouts are grouped as a “A” or “B” workout, with A workouts consisting of Chest, Shoulders, Triceps, Back Width, and Back Thickness exercises executed in that order.  B workouts are Biceps, Forearms, Calvas, Hamstrings, and Quads, again executed in that order.  The training split is then programmed to alternate A and B workouts over 2 weeks on a MWF basis.  In others words, week 1 is ABA on MWF, week 2 is BAB MWF.

The training philosophy is (after enough warm-up sets) to do one heavy working set, including rest-pause, to get to 15 reps executed in good form.  For example, do as many reps as I can without compromising form, rack the weight, pause 10-15 seconds, repeat, and do that as many times as necessary to get to 15 reps.  The only caveat is straight sets are used instead of rest-pause for most rows, deadlifts, or squats, largely for safety reasons.  Also, the rep range is higher for arm exercises.

Ab work is a mix of planks and ab wheel sets done as “active rest” in between warm-up sets prior to the working set of the above exercises.

I also keep a log book and take notes of the weight and reps, and then force myself to beat that the next time I hit that workout the next time around, either by more weight or more reps.  The idea being once you can knock out 15 reps, it’s time to add more weight, but always improve on the last workout.

Again, I stretch religiously before each workout, during the workout, and after the workout, and each workout is also preceded by SuperSpeed training.

Also, I have creaky shoulders; separated both of them at different times…playing intramural football as a Captain actually.  So, I’ll usually go a bit lighter for shoulders at a higher rep range, and rely a little more on Hammer Strength machines in particular than most would recommend, if only to try and preserve shoulder health.

I have no plans to post YouTube videos of myself working out or anything corny like that, but I will post progress as far as weight gained, and weight/rep gains on exercises as I go.

Those are some beastly weights, especially the 70 pound dumbells on shoulder press. Looks like a great workout.

• Like 2

Updated 07/15/2022

23 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

The Training Program

"Oh, to be young... "

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

1 minute ago, Kenny B said:

"Oh, to be young... "

Yeah, I know.  I certainly don't feel young at the end of some days.  

I left out that I also do this routine for 12 consecutive weeks, then take 2 weeks of light weigh low-intensity "off time."

• Like 2

Sounds like a great plan. I am in a similar boat in NH with a long off season coming soon. I have SuperSpeed on route and an currently trying to devise a workout plan. Thankfully I am generally flexible without too much work, but as a runner, the speed motions need more work. Speed was much better in high school when I was training for hockey with plyometrics and other explosive moves. Looking to continue to add in abdominal work (both active and planks) along with some more weight training and plyometric like exercises. On top of this gonna be sure to move into some speed work with the running just as an added piece of work. Good luck this off-season.

• Like 1

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9°  Project X HZRDUS Black HAND-CRAFTED Wood Shaft - Spargo Golf Smoke Black 70g 6.5 (2021 Official Review)

:callaway-small: Epic Speed 15°  Project X HZRDUS Black HAND-CRAFTED Wood Shaft - Spargo Golf Smoke iM10 60g  6.0 | :callaway-small: Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70 g 6.0

:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 Stiff | :mizuno-small: JPX 919 HM Pro  5 - PW  :Fuji:  Pro Tour Spec 115i Stiff

:Hogan: Equalizer 52° / 56°  KBS Tour V 110 Stiff | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0

:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: - Pro V1x | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

20 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Love this thread.  Can’t wait to follow along.

I am going to try a similar approach, but I haven’t been in a gym in 20 years or more.  Quit lifting in High School.  Hopefully I can pick up some ideas from you.

Nice work.

I agree should be a good thread to follow. I hope to join in with some progress of my own.

• Like 3

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9°  Project X HZRDUS Black HAND-CRAFTED Wood Shaft - Spargo Golf Smoke Black 70g 6.5 (2021 Official Review)

:callaway-small: Epic Speed 15°  Project X HZRDUS Black HAND-CRAFTED Wood Shaft - Spargo Golf Smoke iM10 60g  6.0 | :callaway-small: Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70 g 6.0

:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 Stiff | :mizuno-small: JPX 919 HM Pro  5 - PW  :Fuji:  Pro Tour Spec 115i Stiff

:Hogan: Equalizer 52° / 56°  KBS Tour V 110 Stiff | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0

:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: - Pro V1x | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

• Getoffmylawn changed the title to Getoffmylawn's Need for Speed, AND LOWER SCORES!