TESTERS WANTED! ×

GolfSpy AFG’s Speed & Swing Odyssey

2 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Yeah, I tend to agree with you, just trying to think through this so as to avoid short-circuiting the purpose of this entire experiment.  

I'm sure rotary ab work that builds a stronger core is beneficial to the golf swing.  What I am concerned about is the timing and effect of the workouts relative to the SuperSpeed training.  What I'm planning to do would basically mean that I'm swinging the SuperSpeed green stick at 135 mph and teaching my brain "see, you can swing that fast" but then 45 minutes later, when I'm throwing a 20 pound medicine ball against the wall, I'm obviously going to be throwing it at a lot less than 135, so I am short-circuiting the brain reprogramming the SuperSpeed is trying to do?

I agree, probably not, the movements are dissimilar enough, but I'm a little hesitant to risk it, if there is in fact a risk...

i love that you're leaving no stone unturned here.  like you're saying - i don't think you're at risk.  

even if the movements were almost identical, you're tapping different neural pathways and energy systems to create adaptation and eventually increase output, and that's only a good thing.

for example - lots of pitchers drill with weighted balls.  they're strengthening the ligaments and tendons of the fingers hands wrists and elbows so that when the overspeed principle of throwing a regular ball kicks in, their body can handle it.  another example is powerlifters or oly lifters doing partial lifts with 110-130% of their max load for a regular lift.  same movement, but different energy system to get the body to adapt to a stimulus that it hasn't encountered before (in their case more weight than ever for their actual lift - in your case more speed than ever for your golf swing)

we're getting into some pretty heady stuff for a simple exercise program and i'm not mad about it at all! 😂😂

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

13 minutes ago, Chip Strokes said:

i love that you're leaving no stone unturned here.  like you're saying - i don't think you're at risk.  

even if the movements were almost identical, you're tapping different neural pathways and energy systems to create adaptation and eventually increase output, and that's only a good thing.

for example - lots of pitchers drill with weighted balls.  they're strengthening the ligaments and tendons of the fingers hands wrists and elbows so that when the overspeed principle of throwing a regular ball kicks in, their body can handle it.  another example is powerlifters or oly lifters doing partial lifts with 110-130% of their max load for a regular lift.  same movement, but different energy system to get the body to adapt to a stimulus that it hasn't encountered before (in their case more weight than ever for their actual lift - in your case more speed than ever for your golf swing)

we're getting into some pretty heady stuff for a simple exercise program and i'm not mad about it at all! 😂😂

Thanks.  Like I posted earlier I'm pretty obsessive and don't really know how to do things in moderation...I tend to go all in.  

Everything you're saying makes sense, and I agree.  Just looking to make sure I squeeze every possible edge I can out of this and do it right.  

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

2 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Thanks.  Like I posted earlier I'm pretty obsessive and don't really know how to do things in moderation...I tend to go all in.  

Everything you're saying makes sense, and I agree.  Just looking to make sure I squeeze every possible edge I can out of this and do it right.  

I'm all about this approach! Especially as we move into the off-season.

Part of my off-season program is going to be similar with Superspeed training as well as investigating if/how I can better use the ground to generate club head speed.

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

7 minutes ago, DPattGolf said:

Part of my off-season program is going to be similar with Superspeed training as well as investigating if/how I can better use the ground to generate club head speed.

Thanks!  Please post here on that point as you go.

I'm definitely interested in better incorporating the whole "ground reaction forces" thing to gain speed.  It's not clear how much one can train for this from a muscular development standpoint as opposed to a golf drill though.  In other words, I'm going to be incorporating box jumps into the leg days and really loading into the ground with each rep, but I'm wondering how effective that really is in building a similar capability to use the ground in the golf swing.

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

13 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Thanks!  Please post here on that point as you go.

I'm definitely interested in better incorporating the whole "ground reaction forces" thing to gain speed.  It's not clear how much one can train for this from a muscular development standpoint as opposed to a golf drill though.  In other words, I'm going to be incorporating box jumps into the leg days and really loading into the ground with each rep, but I'm wondering how effective that really is in building a similar capability to use the ground in the golf swing.

Definitely will do! Right now my plan is to go spend some time with another Golf Pro who has a boditrak system that can measure vertical ground force and pick his brain on how to possibly incorporate it into my swing as well as how I can incorporate it into my own instruction. 

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

"B" workout complete.  Level 3 SuperSpeed, then:

Barbell Curls - 90, reps 10, 5, 3, 2

Hammer Curls - 50s, reps 10, 5, 3, 2

Box Jumps - 10 X 2

Seated Calf Raise - 110, 12 reps

Single Leg Dumbbell Deadlift - 50s, reps 12, 4, 3, 2

Leg Press - 360 straight set of 15 reps, 270 for 25 rep widowmaker

I did include the additional rotary work I posted about here yesterday.

Again, each exercise is basically one set of rest-pause reps, so for barbell curls is was failure at 10 reps, a 15 second rest, then 5 reps, 10 more seconds rest, etc.  

And, if anyone's wondering, a widowmaker is one straight set where you can "rest" or pause to catch your breath but you don't re-rack the weight.  For example, if you were doing a 20-rep widowmaker for squats, you'd pick a weight that you could get 12 reps on, pause at the top for a few second but with the weight still on your back, get a few more reps, pause again without re-racking, and keep going until you get to 20.

I have run into one challenge in that the base gym here is changing their hours to the point that I have to use the local YMCA going forward.  The base gym is the largest in the Department of Defense (it has 2-3 of every piece of equipment you could ask for), but they've been open on a limited basis due to COVID.  They're not changing their hours to catch the after-work workout crowd, meaning they won't open until 11 am.  I'm a first thing in the morning type, SuperSpeed at 0430, gym at 0500, so it's the family membership at the YMCA for the foreseeable future.  Not a showstopper but definitely less equipment options.  First world problems...

Sounds like things are off to a good start. I have started some off season like training, thought thankfully still time for a few more rounds. I just got the SuperSpeed golf in last week and just wrapped up the first round and am excited by the potential gains. I have been keeping up with running (one of my other favorite exercises), incorporating some upper body lifting, ab work, and explosive leg work (plyometrics mainly). Just not looking to get back into a gym for heavy legs or anything, so limited to dumbbells that I have at home, which I hope to add to throughout the winter.

And of course as others have mentioned diet will be key. Not looking to make large weight gains, more change some composition so calories will be kept in check, and of course working to keep a good balance. Hoping by next spring I will be in the 3rd super speed phase and seeing some good club head speed. Good luck everyone else with your  off seasons. I will be coming back with some updates here. Also think I might link to a google sheet for SuperSpeed tracking.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

Second "A" workout in the books.  Using the Y instead of the base gym is jacking up my exercise selections a bit, but it is what it is...

Machine Chest Press - 180, reps at 10, 4, 2, 1

Smith Machine Shoulder Press - 150, reps at 9, 3, 2

Smith Machine Close-Grip Bench - 150, 12, 4, 3, 1

Lat Pulldown - 175, 11, 4, 3, 1

Barbell Rows - 185, 9 x 2

I played in a scramble yesterday and I was more sore than i expected to be from the weight training...going to have to accept that even though I might get in the occasional round I've begum my offseason...

Got on the scale yesterday morning at 186, which would be barely over a half pound of weight gain in a week...exactly the pace I want to be on.  

Second "B" workout of the two-week split complete this morning...

Preacher Curls - 95, reps at 13, 4, 3, 3

Standing Reverse Grip EZ Curls - 75, reps at 15, 5, 2, 2

Box Jumps - 10 x 2

Leg Press Calf Raise - 200, 12

Lying Leg Curl - 130, reps at 9, 4, 2, 2

Squats - 275 straight set of 8, 185 widowmaker set

I have to admit I underestimated how discomforting it would be to do this without a means of continually measuring swing progress.  But, again, I'm remaining fanatical about stretching and mobility work, and Planemate drills, so I'm not overly concerned.

On 9/24/2020 at 11:13 AM, Chip Strokes said:

1. ive been having this debate with my brother in law since the golf season restart. Bryson bulked up, he didn’t “get jacked”. he put on a LOT of weight very quickly and a lot of it is fat. that’s not to say it’s good or bad - just cringe a little when people say he’s jacked. 

It is interesting that he had basically done this like a power lifter. Looking for that strong base and mid section to handle the forces he is putting on with each swing. Still strong obviously just not jacked by definition of those that are looking at fat percentages, simply looking for the strength and set up to support all the speed he is looking for. Time will tell if he can hold up on this.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

1 minute ago, ejgaudette said:

It is interesting that he had basically done this like a power lifter. Looking for that strong base and mid section to handle the forces he is putting on with each swing. Still strong obviously just not jacked by definition of those that are looking at fat percentages, simply looking for the strength and set up to support all the speed he is looking for. Time will tell if he can hold up on this.

I wouldn't agree that he did it like a powerlifter.  Go listen to the Drop Zone podcast interview he gave, and from what I gather the workouts were focused on isolating muscles and time-under-tension techniques.  And, he specifically said he doesn't do squats or deadlifts, two of the staples of a powerlifting routine.

Just now, Getoffmylawn said:

I wouldn't agree that he did it like a powerlifter.  Go listen to the Drop Zone podcast interview he gave, and from what I gather the workouts were focused on isolating muscles and time-under-tension techniques.  And, he specifically said he doesn't do squats or deadlifts, two of the staples of a powerlifting routine.

That is true more I was thinking more with the weight and not staying as trim, most powerlifters have the same build to support the weight they lift, for him it is about supporting the swing speed, at least that is what I would imagine. Interesting to see if this holds up unlike some other big hitters such and Brooks and Champ that have had some injuries that have tremendous speed but a tighter build versus his build, of course swings are completely different as well which likely plays a role.

Not sure if you follow "Fit For Golf" and Mike Carroll on Twitter, but there's some great info on there about compound lifts, jumps, and med ball throws and applicability to golf. His focus on maximum effort per lift is a great reminder for the ideal intention of this kind of training. Lots of suggestions around rep numbers, which could be of interest to you in order to reduce soreness for playing days. (6-8 rep maximums for the most part). He also has specific monthly routines that implement SuperSpeed sticks. 

The main benefit of med ball work is that repetition of throwing motions will improve the efficiency of your sequence as it pertains to using and transmitting GRFs through your torso and into your upper body, increasing your power output. The throws are different enough from a golf swing that they are not going to slow down your swing speed on the SuperSpeed sticks. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

1 minute ago, BMart519 said:

Not sure if you follow "Fit For Golf" and Mike Carroll on Twitter, but there's some great info on there about compound lifts, jumps, and med ball throws and applicability to golf. His focus on maximum effort per lift is a great reminder for the ideal intention of this kind of training. Lots of suggestions around rep numbers, which could be of interest to you in order to reduce soreness for playing days. (6-8 rep maximums for the most part). He also has specific monthly routines that implement SuperSpeed sticks. 

The main benefit of med ball work is that repetition of throwing motions will improve the efficiency of your sequence as it pertains to using and transmitting GRFs through your torso and into your upper body, increasing your power output. The throws are different enough from a golf swing that they are not going to slow down your swing speed on the SuperSpeed sticks. 

Yeah, thanks, I appreciate it.  I've been pointed in that direction before and keep forgetting to check "Fit for Golf" out, I'll make sure to do that tonight. 

So after a SuperSpeed-guided self-evaluation, I'm going to be replacing my Wednesday standard Level 3 protocol with the Advanced Speed Protocol 1, which focus on increasing my ability to use the ground better.  I was really hoping the self-evaluation would point me towards lag more, and I will likely transition to that in late winter, but being honest with myself using the ground more efficiently would be more beneficial.  (The lag protocol just looks to be really quick.)

I'm also teeing it up Thursday, which will really be my first round since kicking the weight training up a notch in pursuit of this whole experiment.  I'll likely be a little sore in the upper body (Wednesday's workout), but 3 days removed from Monday's leg training I should be able to turn without issue.  That's the number one issue for me if I try to play on sore legs...sliding all over the place instead of turning.

So 2020 being, well, 2020, this little experiment of mine took a slight hit in that I'm now restricted to my home for the next 2 weeks on account of my neighbor (who i had some contact with) testing positive for COVID.  He's fine and symptom-free, and so am I, but the base medical team has instructed me to telework for the next two weeks, get a test on the 16th, and go back to work on the 19th if I get the "all clear."

That said, I'm fortunate in that I have an ample amount of home gym gear to still get decent workouts in, especially upper body.  Lower body is a bit of a challenge in that I'll have to do much higher reps than I would normally want, but for two weeks it will more than do the trick.

Here's my home gym set-up, squeezed into the unfinished storage area of my basement:

HG1.jpg.8eb8e1bb134e9e74ab519394425121f9.jpg

The kids play area floor was the wife's idea, but it works.

The Powerblocks, the adjustable weights, can go from 10 to 90, just enough to do most upper body work:

HG2.jpg.b1d5f65bad48c5a34b470c1886cd5c17.jpg

I'll have to get creative with sets and reps, but I'll still be able to make progress.  And, as I said, a good bulking program is far more about nutrition than it is the training.

So, today's workout:

Dumbbell Bench Press - 90s, reps of 8, 3, 1, 1

High-Rep Shoulder Press & Side-Lateral Raise Supersets - 50s/25s, set of 18  each, set of 10 each

Dips - Body weight, targeted at triceps, 25, 9, 3, 3

Pull-ups - 11, 3, 1, 1

Dumbbell Rows - 90s, 2 sets of 8

I also did my first ASD1 SuperSpeed protocol in place of a standard Level 3 protocol.  ASD1 is designed to help you better use the ground to generate speed.

893912187_Annotation2020-10-07110557.png.5a217c11a44a96447a4a4e548875e135.png

If you have 90 lb. powerblocks, you should be able to do split stance and other leg work that targets 1 leg to get those reps down. Depth jumps or other plyo jumps, single leg box jumps. Hold the 90s at shoulder height to do front squats as well as weighted squat or deadlift jumps. 

How many pistol squats can you do? 

If you can squat 1.5x your body weight, max strength is less of a concern and a focus on power and explosive moves will likely yield better CHS gains. 

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

5 minutes ago, BMart519 said:

If you have 90 lb. powerblocks, you should be able to do split stance and other leg work that targets 1 leg to get those reps down. Depth jumps or other plyo jumps, single leg box jumps. Hold the 90s at shoulder height to do front squats as well as weighted squat or deadlift jumps. 

How many pistol squats can you do? 

If you can squat 1.5x your body weight, max strength is less of a concern and a focus on power and explosive moves will likely yield better CHS gains. 

Thanks for the feedback!

I have never really done pistol squats.  Do you recommend them?

My knees are bit creeky (I get runner's knee according to the doc, despite the fact that I rarely run), so i tend to be a little nervous of single leg squats that seem less stable.  I have done Bulgarian squats and may go that route, but again...knees.  The PowerBlocks are a bit awkward to balance on my shoulders at the full 90 pound weight, so in the past I have done Bulgarians.  If I only have to do this for two weeks, it will work.

Agreed, power and explosiveness will become increasingly more the focus, hence the box jumps being the first priority of leg workouts.  

I have a love/hate relationship with Bulgarian squats. I hate the act of doing them but they get the job done.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

2 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Thanks for the feedback!

I have never really done pistol squats.  Do you recommend them?

My knees are bit creeky (I get runner's knee according to the doc, despite the fact that I rarely run), so i tend to be a little nervous of single leg squats that seem less stable.  I have done Bulgarian squats and may go that route, but again...knees.  The PowerBlocks are a bit awkward to balance on my shoulders at the full 90 pound weight, so in the past I have done Bulgarians.  If I only have to do this for two weeks, it will work.

Agreed, power and explosiveness will become increasingly more the focus, hence the box jumps being the first priority of leg workouts.  

I can't get my thigh to parallel on a proper pistol squat with leg straight and forward (only squat around 205), I tossed it out there considering your physical conditioning and training history with your military background. I also do a modified version with my leg folded behind (and knee flexed) and lower as far as possible, working on range of motion improvement. 

As long as you are working with body weight and under control, the single leg work will only serve to improve your balance and all those little stabilizer muscles that get hidden during bilateral work. You can add weight after a week if you don't do single leg. It should help the knees by strengthening the surrounding areas. If you notice knee issues, then shut it down for sure. 

Don't balance the powerblocks on your shoulders, float them and use your arms and core to keep them in place. You get some bonus stability work holding that load. 

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

16 hours ago, BMart519 said:

I can't get my thigh to parallel on a proper pistol squat with leg straight and forward (only squat around 205), I tossed it out there considering your physical conditioning and training history with your military background. I also do a modified version with my leg folded behind (and knee flexed) and lower as far as possible, working on range of motion improvement. 

As long as you are working with body weight and under control, the single leg work will only serve to improve your balance and all those little stabilizer muscles that get hidden during bilateral work. You can add weight after a week if you don't do single leg. It should help the knees by strengthening the surrounding areas. If you notice knee issues, then shut it down for sure. 

Don't balance the powerblocks on your shoulders, float them and use your arms and core to keep them in place. You get some bonus stability work holding that load. 

Really appreciate the input and feedback.

My intent is to focus heavily on overall size and strength gains to get to the overall mass increase I'm targeting in this experiment.  In the winter once I'm there and the next golf season approaches, I plan to transition to a greater emphasis on stabilization work and exercises that will more directly translate to golf...single-leg work like you're describing, kneeling landmine presses for shoulders instead of regular dumbbell presses, etc.

Today’s workout, after a Level3 SuperSpeed and modified heavily for my home gym while I continue to quarantine:

Dumbbell Curls - 50s, reps at 12, 4, 3, 2

Pinwheel Curls - 40s, reps at 13, 6, 4, 3

Modified Standing Calf Raises (basically holding 50s while doing calf raises on my basement stairs) - 4 sets of 30

Bulgarian Split Squats - 50s, 2 sets of 15

Stiff-legged Deadlifts - 90s, 2 sets of 20

5 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Today’s workout, after a Level3 SuperSpeed and modified heavily for my home gym while I continue to quarantine:

Dumbbell Curls - 50s, reps at 12, 4, 3, 2

Pinwheel Curls - 40s, reps at 13, 6, 4, 3

Modified Standing Calf Raises (basically holding 50s while doing calf raises on my basement stairs) - 4 sets of 30

Bulgarian Split Squats - 50s, 2 sets of 15

Stiff-legged Deadlifts - 90s, 2 sets of 20

Man, that is strong, 50s on the dumbell curls. 

Updated 07/15/2022
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip

10 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

Man, that is strong, 50s on the dumbell curls. 

Thanks.  Honestly, maybe a little bit of cheat on the last rep but not much. Unfortunately not a ton of translation from bicep to golf swing I think...

1 minute ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Thanks.  Honestly, maybe a little bit of cheat on the last rep but not much. Unfortunately not a ton of translation from bicep to golf swing I think...

Yeah maybe not translation from bicep curls to golf swing, but shows you are generally strong overall.

Updated 07/15/2022

Start of a new 2-week cycle, A1 workout this morning after Level 3 SuperSpeed.

Dumbbell Incline Press - 70s, reps at 12, 4, 2, 1

Arnold Press - 50s, 16, 4, 2

Dips (Body Weight) - 21, 10, 6, 4

Close Grip Chins - 13, 3, 1, 1

High-Rep Dumbbell Deadlifts - 90s, 2 sets of 25

Again, I'm stuck doing home gym workouts for another week, so that last one is me trying to make do with the equipment I have.  My COVID test came back negative so I should be back in a real gym next week.  Of course, after that I have to go on a vacation and take a serious break from this, but it is what it is.  On the exercises that were the same as I did for my last A1 workout, this represents an increase of 2 reps on the incline presses and the Arnold presses...getting stronger.

I also stepped on the scale at 188.2.  The weight may be going on a bit quicker than I wanted (that's almost 2 pounds since last week) but I'm not going to get too caught up in what the scale says week-to-week.  Truth be told, while I've been very diligent about foam-rolling, stretching, mobility work, and Planemate drills, I haven't really done any cardio to date.  I stubbed the hell out of my big toe 3 weeks ago to the point that I thought it was broken, and it's only just now healed up to the point that I feel like I can run on it.  So, sprints tomorrow morning.

On 10/5/2020 at 10:52 AM, BMart519 said:

Thanks again for the Fit for Golf tip; finally went and found his content and it's been helpful.  I don't plan to alter my weight-training approach, but he's posted a lot of useful content concerning mobility work that I'm going to be able to incorporate.  And yeah, when I get closer to the next season and work in more golf-specific movements, he's given me some ideas.

Enjoying following this thread. I just started my offseason program on Sunday now that the weather is starting to turn for the winter. Starting with heavy compound lifts and mobility work and will ease into some Fit For Golf SuperSpeed protocols around January. 

I'm excited to see your progress. Good luck!

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

1 hour ago, edingc said:

Enjoying following this thread. I just started my offseason program on Sunday now that the weather is starting to turn for the winter. Starting with heavy compound lifts and mobility work and will ease into some Fit For Golf SuperSpeed protocols around January. 

I'm excited to see your progress. Good luck!

Thank you for the feedback.  Last thing I want to do is post crap nobody is interested in, and I don’t want to run a bodybuilding thread in a golf forum.  
I’m really not concerned with whether or not I’ll be able to make the size and strength gains, it’s translating it to swing speed and yardage gains that I’m concerned with.  Haven’t posted much about it but I continue to do stretching and mobility work almost nightly.  That, plus SuperSpeed and PlaneMate protocols...should help it all translate like I hope.

10 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Thank you for the feedback.  Last thing I want to do is post crap nobody is interested in, and I don’t want to run a bodybuilding thread in a golf forum.  
I’m really not concerned with whether or not I’ll be able to make the size and strength gains, it’s translating it to swing speed and yardage gains that I’m concerned with.  Haven’t posted much about it but I continue to do stretching and mobility work almost nightly.  That, plus SuperSpeed and PlaneMate protocols...should help it all translate like I hope.

Several of us have personal improvement threads. I love reading how other people are going about getting better at golf.

As the trend on the PGA Tour has shown, fitness and golf are extremely intertwined. Not saying there won't be another John Daly out there someday, but as Bryson has shown, hitting the gym can have dramatic results on swing and ball speed. That goes for professionals and amateurs alike.

I'll be curious to see how you like the Planemate as you get more along in your offseason work.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver