TESTERS WANTED! ×

GolfSpy AFG’s Speed & Swing Odyssey

Despite the kick to the nads this past Friday, I got back after it today.  SuperSpeed Level 3, then my B2 workout:

Preacher Curl - 105, reps at 14, 4, 3, 2

Reverse-Grip EZ Curl - 85, reps at 14, 6, 4, 2

Box Jumps - 3 x 6

Seated Calf Raise - 105, 12 reps

Lying Leg Curl - 130, reps at 12, 5, 4, 2

Squats - 315 for 8 reps, widowmaker at 225 for 18 reps

So I upped the weight on the squat from 275 to 315 and found I should have done that a while ago.

Overall, I have to admit my motivation has taken a bit of a hit.  @BMart519is probably right and I shouldn't have put too many expectations into getting some numbers from a lesson.  The thing I'm really having a hard time getting my head around is why I didn't see the speed gains I was sure I was making, after my on course experience tells me I'm hitting the ball farther than I was before??

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

10 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Despite the kick to the nads this past Friday, I got back after it today.  SuperSpeed Level 3, then my B2 workout:

Preacher Curl - 105, reps at 14, 4, 3, 2

Reverse-Grip EZ Curl - 85, reps at 14, 6, 4, 2

Box Jumps - 3 x 6

Seated Calf Raise - 105, 12 reps

Lying Leg Curl - 130, reps at 12, 5, 4, 2

Squats - 315 for 8 reps, widowmaker at 225 for 18 reps

So I upped the weight on the squat from 275 to 315 and found I should have done that a while ago.

Overall, I have to admit my motivation has taken a bit of a hit.  @BMart519is probably right and I shouldn't have put too many expectations into getting some numbers from a lesson.  The thing I'm really having a hard time getting my head around is why I didn't see the speed gains I was sure I was making, after my on course experience tells me I'm hitting the ball farther than I was before??

Have you been tracking speed data on a daily or session-by-session basis? It is common to see slow and fast days. The lesson could have been a slow day or you could have been slightly tense. Being loose and whippy with the wrists can be hard to commit to, but Mike Malaska had a good video comparing swinging with a full turn and no wrists or barely turning with an arms only swing and flipping the club at the ball with the wrists. He was getting 80-90% of his top speed with no lower body and just arms/wrist. 

Seeing it on the course is the only place that matters, not the monitor. So that means its working and keep pushing! 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

9 minutes ago, BMart519 said:

Have you been tracking speed data on a daily or session-by-session basis? It is common to see slow and fast days. The lesson could have been a slow day or you could have been slightly tense. Being loose and whippy with the wrists can be hard to commit to, but Mike Malaska had a good video comparing swinging with a full turn and no wrists or barely turning with an arms only swing and flipping the club at the ball with the wrists. He was getting 80-90% of his top speed with no lower body and just arms/wrist. 

Seeing it on the course is the only place that matters, not the monitor. So that means its working and keep pushing! 

I appreciate the feedback and encouragement, I need it right now.

No, have been unable to track speed on a daily or session-by-session basis, but I'm going to explore ways to find some simulator time in the area to at least get monthly info.

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Here's the main feedback and area to target that did come out of the lesson:

IMG_5213.PNG.5377e03a430be83cb336a60cf3e01dc7.PNG

Picture on the left is the good, the right the "bad" and what I need to improve on.  I don't have a good screen grab to show the impact position, but the diagnosis is a tendency that I've fought for a while to get into a squat too much and come into impact with my arms a bit folded up rather than extended.  Honetly, if there is an aspect of this offseason training that hasn't gotten my full energy it's the PlaneMate work, and I think it would help immensely with this so I'll be reattacking that.  I should in turn see a wider overall swing and hopefully some speed as well.

39 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Here's the main feedback and area to target that did come out of the lesson:

IMG_5213.PNG.5377e03a430be83cb336a60cf3e01dc7.PNG

Picture on the left is the good, the right the "bad" and what I need to improve on.  I don't have a good screen grab to show the impact position, but the diagnosis is a tendency that I've fought for a while to get into a squat too much and come into impact with my arms a bit folded up rather than extended.  Honetly, if there is an aspect of this offseason training that hasn't gotten my full energy it's the PlaneMate work, and I think it would help immensely with this so I'll be reattacking that.  I should in turn see a wider overall swing and hopefully some speed as well.

That's some nice trail side bend there. I could use a little more of that in my swing. Do you know what your club path and AoA is like on these swings?

Like you, I've neglected the Planemate a little too much but realized in playing with it again this week that it's a huge help in reinforcing the correct patterns. My biggest issue using it during my active golf season was that I didn't want to "break" what I was working with at the moment.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

4 hours ago, edingc said:

That's some nice trail side bend there. I could use a little more of that in my swing. Do you know what your club path and AoA is like on these swings?

Thanks!

Unfortunately, no, I don't know that info.  Here's a pic of the display at GolfTec, along with a zoomed in version of the data, from my fourth or fifth warm-up PW before the lesson started...I wanted to look back later and see what data is available on the display, because I can't honestly say I'm using it (although I'm pretty confident the instructor is paying attention to it)...

IMG_5203.jpg.79e191dd479936f9c1741e44f207c054.jpgIMG_5204.jpg.1e867b6023e78d8070b5cb9b6e9eb307.jpg

Which brings me to another almost embarrassing question for my fellow Spies...can anyone recommend where I can read up on ball flight or fitting for dummies?  I'm realizing that given how much time I spend on this forum and some of the brains that are on here, I have no excuse for looking at my PW backspin number (for instance) and not being able to discern on my own if that's good or bad.  I suspect it's a bit low, but I'm a bit of a picker and am reasonably confident I got a good fit into my irons.  (I have a hunch @cnosilamong others could tell me where to read up on basic understanding of fitting variables...)

3 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Thanks!

Unfortunately, no, I don't know that info.  Here's a pic of the display at GolfTec, along with a zoomed in version of the data, from my fourth or fifth warm-up PW before the lesson started...I wanted to look back later and see what data is available on the display, because I can't honestly say I'm using it (although I'm pretty confident the instructor is paying attention to it)...

IMG_5203.jpg.79e191dd479936f9c1741e44f207c054.jpgIMG_5204.jpg.1e867b6023e78d8070b5cb9b6e9eb307.jpg

Which brings me to another almost embarrassing question for my fellow Spies...can anyone recommend where I can read up on ball flight or fitting for dummies?  I'm realizing that given how much time I spend on this forum and some of the brains that are on here, I have no excuse for looking at my PW backspin number (for instance) and not being able to discern on my own if that's good or bad.  I suspect it's a bit low, but I'm a bit of a picker and am reasonably confident I got a good fit into my irons.  (I have a hunch @cnosilamong others could tell me where to read up on basic understanding of fitting variables...)

While that is the forsite software,  it doesn't show the club data.  Don't know what hardware GolfTec uses to capture club data so their system may not be capable.   

Regarding Information on fitting:  you can start here:  https://trackmanuniversity.com/

Couple of old articles on MGS:  https://mygolfspy.com/clubfitting-101/   https://mygolfspy.com/club-building-101-a-guide-to-the-things-that-matter/

IF you want to read some books:

• The Complete Golf Club Fitting Plan, Ralph Maltby
  • Practical Clubfitting, Tom Wishon

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 minutes ago, cnosil said:

While that is the forsite software,  it doesn't show the club data.  Don't know what hardware GolfTec uses to capture club data so their system may not be capable.   

Regarding Information on fitting:  you can start here:  https://trackmanuniversity.com/

Couple of old articles on MGS:  https://mygolfspy.com/clubfitting-101/   https://mygolfspy.com/club-building-101-a-guide-to-the-things-that-matter/

IF you want to read some books:

• The Complete Golf Club Fitting Plan, Ralph Maltby
  • Practical Clubfitting, Tom Wishon

Awesome, thank you for the references!

Just now, Getoffmylawn said:

Awesome, thank you for the references!

They are a start.  I did a bunch of the classes in the trackman university and it gets pretty detailed.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Today was a SuperSpeed ASD 1 session, followed by my "A3" workout.  

Dumbbell Bench Press - 90s, reps at 8, 2, 1, 1

Machine Shoulder Press - 130, reps at 12, 4, 2 (time to go up in weight)

Machine Dips - 250, reps at 15, 5, 3, 2 (heaviest machine goes...)

Machine Pulldowns - 170, reps at 10, 3, 1, 1

Wide-Grip Cable Rows - 180, reps at 8, 4

I'll obviously be skipping the gym this Friday, and will get back at it on Monday.

That said, after much soul-searching and an attempt at honest self-evaluation, I've decided my search for additional mass and size is over.  I got on the scale at 197 this past weekend, which would put me at a 16 pound mass gain and the number that I originally stated as my goal.  If I'm being honest with myself, I'm definitely stronger than when I started this thread, but I've gained some fat with the muscle (I knew I would) but between being 42 and my thyroid condition, I'm not comfortable with any more fat as part of this experiment.  And, I may have lost a bit of focus and started bodybuilding too much rather than pursuing golf speed.

I AM NOT stopping my training or quest for speed, at all.  It's just time to move to phase 2...size achieved, now more of a focus on strength, power and explosiveness.  And, I need to figure out a good macro ratio to work to stay at 197 but add muscle/lose fat...a tough task I know.  @BMart519@Chip Strokes...thoughts on this?  Any references you're aware of?

As far as programming, come 2021 I am going up in weights and down in reps.  I'm thinking 4-6 rep sets with one rest-pause set.  Then, mixing n the more golf-specific movements.  Any thoughts/feedback from anyone would be much appreciated.  

Overall, let me thank everyone for the encouragement to date, it's been much appreciated.  I'll be keeping at it in this next phase.

30 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

I AM NOT stopping my training or quest for speed, at all.  It's just time to move to phase 2...size achieved, now more of a focus on strength, power and explosiveness.  And, I need to figure out a good macro ratio to work to stay at 197 but add muscle/lose fat...a tough task I know.  @BMart519@Chip Strokes...thoughts on this?  Any references you're aware of?

As far as programming, come 2021 I am going up in weights and down in reps.  I'm thinking 4-6 rep sets with one rest-pause set.  Then, mixing n the more golf-specific movements.  Any thoughts/feedback from anyone would be much appreciated.  

I'm not a dietician, I believe there are general recommendations for macros you can Google online. Individual metabolism will have some effect on this. The general advice is to start by calculating your daily caloric needs for target body weight (base metabolic index) and energy output (workouts, etc). Protein intake target of 1.5g per pound of target body weight. Then calculate your remaining calories and balance carbs/fat according to dietary preferences. 

Continue to mix in single leg work on the compound moves (lunges, lateral squats, box jumps) in addition to bilateral work. Same with upper body - pressing and rows with one arm using DBs or cables activates the core for stability which helps resist some of the rotary forces in the golf swing. Ballistic/explosive work with med ball throws would help, you can get trampolines/pads for med ball targets.

I just ordered a landmine attachment from Amazon for $80 that mounts in the center of a 45lb plate, then insert your barbell, and load with whatever you want. For the cost, I think this is one of the most flexible add-ons for a home gym if you have a barbell and some plates. I also got a set of resistance bands ($40) that you can connect in parallel for a total of 150 lbs of resistance. I clip these on to barbells, wrap under my power cage, adjustable bench or feet, to induce progressive loading in the top half of lifts where it's easier to overcome the weight of what's on the bar. 

For example, I can dead lift 225 off the ground with medium effort, comfortably for sets. As I progress closer to lock out with bands, the load exceeds 300 pounds. But I am far from pulling 350+ off the floor. This also helps working at max/speed intent as you have less inertia to overcome at the start of the lift. As the bands begin to resist you have built some momentum and are moving fast as the bands reach their maximum. 

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

11 minutes ago, BMart519 said:

I'm not a dietician, I believe there are general recommendations for macros you can Google online. Individual metabolism will have some effect on this. The general advice is to start by calculating your daily caloric needs for target body weight (base metabolic index) and energy output (workouts, etc). Protein intake target of 1.5g per pound of target body weight. Then calculate your remaining calories and balance carbs/fat according to dietary preferences. 

Continue to mix in single leg work on the compound moves (lunges, lateral squats, box jumps) in addition to bilateral work. Same with upper body - pressing and rows with one arm using DBs or cables activates the core for stability which helps resist some of the rotary forces in the golf swing. Ballistic/explosive work with med ball throws would help, you can get trampolines/pads for med ball targets.

I just ordered a landmine attachment from Amazon for $80 that mounts in the center of a 45lb plate, then insert your barbell, and load with whatever you want. For the cost, I think this is one of the most flexible add-ons for a home gym if you have a barbell and some plates. I also got a set of resistance bands ($40) that you can connect in parallel for a total of 150 lbs of resistance. I clip these on to barbells, wrap under my power cage, adjustable bench or feet, to induce progressive loading in the top half of lifts where it's easier to overcome the weight of what's on the bar. 

For example, I can dead lift 225 off the ground with medium effort, comfortably for sets. As I progress closer to lock out with bands, the load exceeds 300 pounds. But I am far from pulling 350+ off the floor. This also helps working at max/speed intent as you have less inertia to overcome at the start of the lift. As the bands begin to resist you have built some momentum and are moving fast as the bands reach their maximum. 

Thanks.  Yeah, I’ve got my TDE, there are just different opinions about proper macronutrient breakdowns.

I’m fortunate both gyms I use have a landline attachment.

I’ll plan out the program and circle back in this thread soon.  Appreciate the input, definitely plan to incorporate it...

With the weird week that is the space between Christmas and New Years I'll likely only get two workouts in, so I'm using the workouts to find the right weights to train with at a lower rep range, and to experiment with the timing/sequencing of some exercises.  So, yesterday did a SuperSpeed ASD1, then...

Dumbbell Inclines - 85s, reps at 6, 1

Kneeling Landmine Press - 45, reps at 8, 3

Cable Pressdown - 200, reps at 8, 4

Close Grip Chins - reps at 12, 3

T-Bar Rows - 180, 2 x 6

Standing External Rotations - 30, 3 x 8

Standing Internal Rotations - 30, 3 x 12

Med Ball Slams - 10 pound ball, 3 x 5

Box Jumps - 3 x 6

The rotation, med ball, and jumps were interspersed among the main exercises along with abs as part of the "active rest" in between sets and exercises.

Diet-wise, I'm taking a break from calorie counting this week given the wealth of food, just making sure I get enough protein.  

Any feedback/thoughts on the workout above, fire away...

5 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

With the weird week that is the space between Christmas and New Years I'll likely only get two workouts in, so I'm using the workouts to find the right weights to train with at a lower rep range, and to experiment with the timing/sequencing of some exercises.  So, yesterday did a SuperSpeed ASD1, then...

Dumbbell Inclines - 85s, reps at 6, 1

Kneeling Landmine Press - 45, reps at 8, 3

Cable Pressdown - 200, reps at 8, 4

Close Grip Chins - reps at 12, 3

T-Bar Rows - 180, 2 x 6

Standing External Rotations - 30, 3 x 8

Standing Internal Rotations - 30, 3 x 12

Med Ball Slams - 10 pound ball, 3 x 5

Box Jumps - 3 x 6

The rotation, med ball, and jumps were interspersed among the main exercises along with abs as part of the "active rest" in between sets and exercises.

Diet-wise, I'm taking a break from calorie counting this week given the wealth of food, just making sure I get enough protein.  

I don't have a good substitute for medicine ball slams, and it makes me sad. Our gym at work has great space to do med ball work and plenty of balls, but at home I don't have anything to throw them against.

For a while I tried using bands to replicate but they're unwieldy. Also tried "throwing" dumbbells (without actually throwing), but they are awkward.

First world problems, I suppose. My current training is pretty much devoid of any particular explosive work, save for SuperSpeed and a handful of max speed balls at the range, and I'm sure I'm leaving yards on the table...

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up

Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

4 hours ago, edingc said:

I don't have a good substitute for medicine ball slams, and it makes me sad. Our gym at work has great space to do med ball work and plenty of balls, but at home I don't have anything to throw them against.

For a while I tried using bands to replicate but they're unwieldy. Also tried "throwing" dumbbells (without actually throwing), but they are awkward.

First world problems, I suppose. My current training is pretty much devoid of any particular explosive work, save for SuperSpeed and a handful of max speed balls at the range, and I'm sure I'm leaving yards on the table...

Yeah. It’s a challenge for me, the base gym and the Y (where I have been working out lately) put away all their large leather med balls...apparently they are a COVID risk but the racks of free weights and all the other equipment are not???

I’ve managed to get the Y to put out a 10 lb slam ball in lieu of the large leather version...it will work in a pinch...

On 12/29/2020 at 7:08 AM, Getoffmylawn said:

The jumps/slams are your explosive work and should be done with max speed/output as opposed to when recovering. The only exception would be when using them with a superset of a loaded variant for "post activation potentiation" programming. Doing them when you are "tired" is either training your body for slower speeds or an endurance focus. 

Jumps/med ball throws can be alternated since they mostly split upper and lower body, which is how I start lifting sessions before moving on to free weights. Either do those first then the free weight sets, or do antagonist pairs if you are looking to save time on the workout. (Incline DB/T-Bar row)

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

On 9/22/2020 at 12:35 PM, dlow206 said:

I am doing the Golf WOD program. I bulked probably a little too hard during Covid, so going to try to drop a little body fat while increasing strength.

I'm started doing the golf wod program and have had awesome results. It's has really helped with the footwork and being able to be explosive into the ball.

Sub 70 699 pro irons, vokey/cleveland wedges, pxg proto driver, ping 3 wood, 910 hybrid. Bridgestone x

56 minutes ago, BMart519 said:

The jumps/slams are your explosive work and should be done with max speed/output as opposed to when recovering. The only exception would be when using them with a superset of a loaded variant for "post activation potentiation" programming. Doing them when you are "tired" is either training your body for slower speeds or an endurance focus. 

Jumps/med ball throws can be alternated since they mostly split upper and lower body, which is how I start lifting sessions before moving on to free weights. Either do those first then the free weight sets, or do antagonist pairs if you are looking to save time on the workout. (Incline DB/T-Bar row)

Yeah, very good point.  I always do the jumps first before leg work, but for the med ball work...are you saying do those first, before getting into heavy pressing work, or to do them immediately after as a superset?

Throws first. Heavy work always after speed. If you are trying to max out or set PBs on lifts, that should be done on a day with minimal speed work. 

Similar idea to the speed concept. A bench press PB after Super Speed and med balls throws is a different PB than a bench right after warm up while fresh with no speed work. 

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

22 minutes ago, BMart519 said:

Throws first. Heavy work always after speed. If you are trying to max out or set PBs on lifts, that should be done on a day with minimal speed work. 

Similar idea to the speed concept. A bench press PB after Super Speed and med balls throws is a different PB than a bench right after warm up while fresh with no speed work. 

Okay, thanks.  I'm after speed...could care less about PBs at this point.

On 12/10/2020 at 10:52 AM, Getoffmylawn said:

Just bought this book in the spirit of fleshing out the next phase of workouts I mentioned yesterday...

871198602_51jKgsv5YsL._SX348_BO1204203200_.jpg.ca743ad3ddabf2d7c078a001d000120a.jpg

Thoughts on this now that you have had a while with it?

3 Wood: 
4 Utility: 
5-PW:
50°, 54°, 58°:
Putter:
Grips: 

Riding On: 

1 hour ago, edingc said:

Thoughts on this now that you have had a while with it?

So it’s good and I’m glad I bought it, but the emphasis is on “fix”...it’s a book about identifying physical limitations and then using Joey D’s specific exercise prescriptions to address that specific limitation.  He outlines several TPI-like screens and then based on your ability or inability to do them, he lists several exercises to improve your mobility, stability, etc., specific to what that screen demonstrates you need to improve.

The book is not something you can really use to develop a complete training program.

8 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

So it’s good and I’m glad I bought it, but the emphasis is on “fix”...it’s a book about identifying physical limitations and then using Joey D’s specific exercise prescriptions to address that specific limitation.  He outlines several TPI-like screens and then based on your ability or inability to do them, he lists several exercises to improve your mobility, stability, etc., specific to what that screen demonstrates you need to improve.

The book is not something you can really use to develop a complete training program.

Good feedback. Thanks. Sounds like I'll hang on to my money and just eventually get around to doing a TPI screen on my own since it's a part of Fit for Golf's programming...

3 Wood: 
4 Utility: 
5-PW:
50°, 54°, 58°:
Putter:
Grips: 

Riding On: 

I really like Super Speed level 4... first session in 4 weeks as my shoulder has been killing me. The heel stomp swing was a great cue for me. My normal swings to start with heavy club swings were 1-2 mph slower than the beginning of my training 2-3 months ago. Heel plant boosted speed 5-8 mph compared to normal swings. Ended the session with 4 mph (102) higher swing speed hitting a ball compared to 2 months ago. No ball swings were +2mph and max score it swings with light stick were +3 mph. 

465D1F16-7800-4F6E-B9E9-08FA1778D83E.jpeg

Edited by BMart519

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

1 hour ago, BMart519 said:

I really like Super Speed level 4... first session in 4 weeks as my shoulder has been killing me. The heel stomp swing was a great cue for me. My normal swings to start with heavy club swings were 1-2 mph slower than the beginning of my training 2-3 months ago. Heel plant boosted speed 5-8 mph compared to normal swings. Ended the session with 4 mph (102) higher swing speed hitting a ball compared to 2 months ago. No ball swings were +2mph and max score it swings with light stick were +3 mph. 

I start Level 4 protocols tomorrow too and am really looking forward to consistent heel stomp work as well...hoping it helps me get more efficient using the ground.

2 hours ago, BMart519 said:

1 hour ago, Getoffmylawn said:

I start Level 4 protocols tomorrow too and am really looking forward to consistent heel stomp work as well...hoping it helps me get more efficient using the ground.

I need to do better at following the protocols. I'm technically on level four now as well. I found the heel stomp to be really beneficial for me also. 

3 Wood: 
4 Utility: 
5-PW:
50°, 54°, 58°:
Putter:
Grips: 

Riding On: 

3 hours ago, edingc said:

I need to do better at following the protocols. I'm technically on level four now as well. I found the heel stomp to be really beneficial for me also. 

Don’t get too hung up on it, I watch a couple of their videos on YouTube then pick 1-3 swings other than the normal swing. It’s all about getting reps in with heavy and light sticks. Some sets I do 5 reps, some times it will be 6-7 if I don’t get reads. 

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

7 hours ago, BMart519 said:

Don’t get too hung up on it, I watch a couple of their videos on YouTube then pick 1-3 swings other than the normal swing. It’s all about getting reps in with heavy and light sticks. Some sets I do 5 reps, some times it will be 6-7 if I don’t get reads. 

Do you still do both sides or only focus on your dominant side? 

One of the things I've taken away from reading some Fit For Golf and Par4Success content is that the SuperSpeed protocols may be a bit taxing unnecessarily, which I've found to be true. Very hard for me to keep up a full protocol workout combined with lifting/stretching. I've enjoyed just working through "regular" swings with the different weights - much quicker and far less taxing on the body.

3 Wood: 
4 Utility: 
5-PW:
50°, 54°, 58°:
Putter:
Grips: 

Riding On: 

Off to a great start to the new year and "Phase II" of this offseason experiment.  Did my first SuperSpeed Level 4 workout, then my "A1" workout, now modified for strength and power.  Again, reps are all really one set...working set to max, 15 second rest/pause, then cranking out a few more reps if I can

Med Ball Slams - 3 x 5 (10 pound ball)

Dumbbell Incline Press - 85s, reps at 7, 1

Kneeling Landmine Press - 45, reps at 9, 3

Cable Pressdown - 200, reps at 10, 5

Close-Grip Chins - reps at 12, 3

Trap Bar Deadlifts - 400, 2 x 4

Standing Internal Rotations - 20, 3 x 12

Standing External Rotations - 20, 3 x 8

Box Jumps - 2 x 5

This is more exercises than I've been doing, but with less rest/pause work and moving with greater pace and intent between exercises the total time duration is pretty much the same.

Finally got after a 400 pound deadlift too.

Haven't talked much about supplementation in this thread but I did decide to start a pre-workout powder, which I don't normally mess with but wanted to have it for some extra giddy-up...I'll use up the one small tub (Cellucor C4) and then go back to my black coffee.

56 minutes ago, edingc said:

Do you still do both sides or only focus on your dominant side? 

One of the things I've taken away from reading some Fit For Golf and Par4Success content is that the SuperSpeed protocols may be a bit taxing unnecessarily, which I've found to be true. Very hard for me to keep up a full protocol workout combined with lifting/stretching. I've enjoyed just working through "regular" swings with the different weights - much quicker and far less taxing on the body.

I've heard that from Mike Carroll too, that the SuperSpeed protocols are too high volume from his perspective.  Did my first Level 4 today and it definitely is...3 different swings, 5 swings per stick, dominant and non-dominant.  Add the 3 normals at the end and that's 93 total swings to knock out, with each to be done "all out"!