TESTERS WANTED! ×

GolfSpy AFG’s Speed & Swing Odyssey

I wanted to write another post, separate from my usual workout posts, to bare my soul a bit.  I find myself struggling from a motivation standpoint of late, and overall feel a bit of trepidation over this whole process I've inflicted on myself.

After about a month of this program, I played what turned out to be my last round of the year.  I posted about it here, but on my usual home course I hit several (for me) bombs that reached 300 yards and left me with sometimes more than a club less than I normally would find myself.  I had my playing partners dropping the occasional "wow" and "holy sh!t"...suffice it to say it was extremely motivating, and I try to hold onto that experience as I slog through these winter months.

However, as I also posted about here, my last GolfTec appointment was really disappointing.  I showed up expecting to see a big MPH jump, and saw almost nothing.

Again, I will say that I think personally, I don't perform well in an indoor hitting bay versus being outdoors.  And, trying to go for broke on a few tee shots after your instructor has spent 30 minutes working on a prescribed "fix" with you for something else probably isn't the best formula.  But the experience left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth as it relates to this whole experiment.

One, I recognize that I am making this harder on myself, and likely more inefficient, by not having a radar or monitoring device during the SuperSpeed work,  Two, getting up at 4 am, getting the truck out of the garage, putting an extra layer on, and cranking out SuperSpeed reps in the garage, in the winter, in Nebraska is proving to be quite the slog.

I'm going to stay at it;, I've come too far at this point.  And I'm sure something will fire me up soon enough.  Just struggling a bit at the moment and feeling some fear that this would be wasted time and energy, and that this whole "experiment" could actually prove somewhat publicly embarrassing if it proves ineffective.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

@Getoffmylawn sounds like you need a vacation somewhere you can hit some bombs and see the fruits of your labour! Preferably somewhere at elevation with dry conditions 🙂

You may be getting too attached to the outcome, it appears you have increased your strength on all lifts. That is an accomplishment in itself and have helped fight off Father Time for another winter! If your swing speed does not increase, you will have learned that strength is not your limiting factor which also has value. You can then confidently switch your focus to technique, equipment, intention (all-out Bryson swings), and shift towards more SuperSpeed protocols or other speed work. 

What else did you have planned to do on lockdown in the winter anyway 😛 

I'm undergoing physio on my shoulder and can't hit balls past 100 yards or about 70% effort. It could always be worse! Especially when the physio gives you a SuperSpeed stick to stretch with during therapy LOL. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

1 hour ago, Getoffmylawn said:

I wanted to write another post, separate from my usual workout posts, to bare my soul a bit.  I find myself struggling from a motivation standpoint of late, and overall feel a bit of trepidation over this whole process I've inflicted on myself.

After about a month of this program, I played what turned out to be my last round of the year.  I posted about it here, but on my usual home course I hit several (for me) bombs that reached 300 yards and left me with sometimes more than a club less than I normally would find myself.  I had my playing partners dropping the occasional "wow" and "holy sh!t"...suffice it to say it was extremely motivating, and I try to hold onto that experience as I slog through these winter months.

However, as I also posted about here, my last GolfTec appointment was really disappointing.  I showed up expecting to see a big MPH jump, and saw almost nothing.

Again, I will say that I think personally, I don't perform well in an indoor hitting bay versus being outdoors.  And, trying to go for broke on a few tee shots after your instructor has spent 30 minutes working on a prescribed "fix" with you for something else probably isn't the best formula.  But the experience left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth as it relates to this whole experiment.

One, I recognize that I am making this harder on myself, and likely more inefficient, by not having a radar or monitoring device during the SuperSpeed work,  Two, getting up at 4 am, getting the truck out of the garage, putting an extra layer on, and cranking out SuperSpeed reps in the garage, in the winter, in Nebraska is proving to be quite the slog.

I'm going to stay at it;, I've come too far at this point.  And I'm sure something will fire me up soon enough.  Just struggling a bit at the moment and feeling some fear that this would be wasted time and energy, and that this whole "experiment" could actually prove somewhat publicly embarrassing if it proves ineffective.

I understand the frustration. I have been doing the Super Speed training as well and have struggled with needing to do it outside still with snow and winter in general bearing down and the level 2 has yielded fewer results as one expects but makes it a bit harder to trust the process. I have also have not been able to hit any ball or simulator work to test the progress which is less than ideal. Gotta just trust the process and keep at it, no my strong suit sometimes. Keep up the hard work besides the obvious general fitness I am sure there will be progress.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

43 minutes ago, BMart519 said:

@Getoffmylawn sounds like you need a vacation somewhere you can hit some bombs and see the fruits of your labour! Preferably somewhere at elevation with dry conditions 🙂

You may be getting too attached to the outcome, it appears you have increased your strength on all lifts. That is an accomplishment in itself and have helped fight off Father Time for another winter! If your swing speed does not increase, you will have learned that strength is not your limiting factor which also has value. You can then confidently switch your focus to technique, equipment, intention (all-out Bryson swings), and shift towards more SuperSpeed protocols or other speed work. 

I'm undergoing physio on my shoulder and can't hit balls past 100 yards or about 70% effort. It could always be worse! Especially when the physio gives you a SuperSpeed stick to stretch with during therapy LOL. 

Hey man, much appreciated, the encouragement and the perspective.

I was listening to a Fit For Golf podcast perspective this morning with Sasho McKenzie(?) and he was explaining the different areas he looks to find where an athlete can gain speed.  What listening to that made me contemplate was my “need for speed” will likely need to evolve to a greater emphasis on technique and overspeed training.  And, I need to cobble together some scratch and pick up a radar...

I’m not surrendering on this by any means, I have every expectation of hitting bombs in a couple months.  Just feeling some anxiety and soreness at the same time!

18 minutes ago, ejgaudette said:

I understand the frustration. I have been doing the Super Speed training as well and have struggled with needing to do it outside still with snow and winter in general bearing down and the level 2 has yielded fewer results as one expects but makes it a bit harder to trust the process. I have also have not been able to hit any ball or simulator work to test the progress which is less than ideal. Gotta just trust the process and keep at it, no my strong suit sometimes. Keep up the hard work besides the obvious general fitness I am sure there will be progress.

Thanks man

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

6 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Hey man, much appreciated, the encouragement and the perspective.

I was listening to a Fit For Golf podcast perspective this morning with Sasho McKenzie(?) and he was explaining the different areas he looks to find where an athlete can gain speed.  What listening to that made me contemplate was my “need for speed” will likely need to evolve to a greater emphasis on technique and overspeed training.  And, I need to cobble together some scratch and pick up a radar...

I’m not surrendering on this by any means, I have every expectation of hitting bombs in a couple months.  Just feeling some anxiety and soreness at the same time!

Just listened to that as well... I cannot find the "Stack" swing speed trainer he talks about online. It sounds like it will have a supporting app for analysis and and adjustable weight. 

I took several notes from that podcast about 1 arm swings and comparing speed on each side and correlating it to 2 hand swings. Also, practicing shorter length swings to force the hips to fire faster to generate speed and improve the transition and sequencing. 

Mobility (hand path length) could be another area for you to explore... 

Edited by BMart519

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

21 minutes ago, BMart519 said:

Mobility (hand path length) could be another area for you to explore... 

Yeah, that's getting more attention from me as of late.  I didn't post it to my normal "workout log" post, but I also did 3 sets (each side) of a mobility/strength exercise he posted recently to IG where he used a rope handle at the top setting of a cable stack and used it for lead lat stretch and to train higher hands in the back swing.  We'll see.  I could definitely use a better top of backswing position.  Hoping recent emphasis on PlaneMate helps with that as well. 

45 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Yeah, that's getting more attention from me as of late.  I didn't post it to my normal "workout log" post, but I also did 3 sets (each side) of a mobility/strength exercise he posted recently to IG where he used a rope handle at the top setting of a cable stack and used it for lead lat stretch and to train higher hands in the back swing.  We'll see.  I could definitely use a better top of backswing position.  Hoping recent emphasis on PlaneMate helps with that as well. 

I've started implementing this stretch as well, and at a minimum, it's definitely loosening up some tightness I have. Haven't tested to see if it is actually helping, but sure can't be hurting!

Driver: :callaway-small: XR16 LD 7* w/ House of Forged Jamie Sadlowski S

3Wood: :cobra-small: F9 Speedback Tour 12.5* Draw w/ Project X Even Flow White T1100 75S

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 818 H1 16* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 90S

Irons: :titelist-small: 718 T-MB (3); :titelist-small: 716 AP2 (5-PW)

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX4 52/58; :cleveland-small: Full-face 64

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Hollywood / :cleveland-small: SOFT 11

Ball: :srixon-small:

Instagram: @thatgolfguyrob

9 hours ago, BMart519 said:

By the way, what’s wrong/what happened to your shoulder?!?

Another winter storm is planning to blast us so I can add "shoveled driveway, 3 sets" to this by the end of the day, but ws able to knock out the workout before the storm rolled in.  SuperSpeed Level 4, then my B2 workout:

Med Ball Wall Throws - 10 pound ball, 3 x 5

Preacher Curl - 135, reps at 6, 2

Reverse Grip EZ Curl - 115, reps at 6, 2

Box Jumps - 3 x 5

Standing Cable Anti-Rotations - 50, 3 x 10

Seated Calf Raise - 120, 10 reps

Lying Leg Curl - 150, reps at 7, 3

Squats - 315, 2 x 8

I now have about 2 months of offseason training left.  (You can post a score to your handicap in Nebraska after March 15th, so that's when I'm considering my season to start.)  While I'm still going all out with my current program, I am starting to entertain how things will change after 2 more months of this.  I want to continue to make speed gains, but will likely revert to a lighter weight/higher rep lifting routine.  I really don't want to show up for golf rounds sore and unable to fully turn...a real killer for my swing (and most swings I suspect).  

Speed training, however, I want to continue to make gains during the season.  I listened another Fit For Golf podcast this morning, and in consideration of that one and the previous one I discussed here (and with some valuable input from @BMart519) it seems to me that I can maintain my strength gains and turn my attention to other sources of speed training.  In that area, I'm considering modifying SuperSpeed Level 5 (which I'll be in at that point), so I'll do that workout once a week, do a SuperSpeed C club workout once a week, and do a green stick only Single Arm workout once a week.  Overall intent here would be an intent to focus on hand and arms speed, and possibly shore up any deficiencies between one arm and the other.  

Thoughts?  Any C Club owners have any feedback?  Oh, and I do intend to bite the bullet and find a way to pick up a PRGR.  I know, I know, might have been more valuable YESTERDAY!!!

2vm0rc.png.ca0a8e56840f524d3f9b508e43f049b8.png

19 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Any C Club owners have any feedback? 

I haven't used mine for a bit, but work it in occasionally between the regular sticks. It definitely will work on the hand/arm speed, and I feel a pronounced "release" with it as well. 

As far as speed comparisons go, I've found it to be 5-8 MPH faster than my green club, sometimes more, sometimes less.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

4 minutes ago, edingc said:

I haven't used mine for a bit, but work it in occasionally between the regular sticks. It definitely will work on the hand/arm speed, and I feel a pronounced "release" with it as well. 

As far as speed comparisons go, I've found it to be 5-8 MPH faster than my green club, sometimes more, sometimes less.

Thanks Cody.  Any downside?  Why have you gotten away from it?

8 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Thanks Cody.  Any downside?  Why have you gotten away from it?

No downsides that I can think of. Only reason I haven't used it as much as the others is that I've been trying to increase my blue and red speeds. Right now my "speed work" has been:

• 3x Green Stick Right-Handed
  • 3x Blue Stick Right-Handed
  • 3x Red Stick Right-Handed
  • 3x Blue Stick Right-Handed
  • 3x Red Stick Right-Handed
  • 3x Green Stick Right-Handed

Then I do two or three sets of Mike's Speed Series from his GolfStrong workout in the FFG app. It incorporates a lot of what he's discussed with single arm swings, quicker/long backswings, etc. 

I hit 124 with the red club yesterday so I've seen some progress as that is usually 118-119. No ball driver swings have gone up a few MPH too, but I'm still sitting at about 110 average on my FlightScope Mevo with range balls, topping out at 112-113 on 2/15 shots Saturday morning.

image.png.d9a596ee72153870dce63690723a090a.png

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up

Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

On 1/22/2021 at 9:45 PM, Getoffmylawn said:

By the way, what’s wrong/what happened to your shoulder?!?

Long term issues: some bad falls snowboarding, poor posture/office ergonomics since lockdowns, and a gradual transition away from specific shoulder strengthening of rotator cuff and scapulae. Some amount of rotator cuff tears is probable, physio is concerned there could be labrum damage as well.  

Seems to be improving with a focus on rehab and strengthening, I had an hour lesson Saturday and hit irons and hybrids 90-100% (180-200 carry) the whole time with minimal discomfort afterwards and nothing during the lesson. Shifted my swing path from 7 deg left to 2-3 right through better use of lower body/side bend and adjusting ball position, which was super encouraging since I have mostly been doing swings with no balls and drills. I only hit balls outdoors once over the 6 weeks since the lesson to see ball flight as there is currently 1 heated range serving a city of over 1 million people LOL.  (3 hour wait 2 weekends ago)

I have had to put SuperSpeed on pause which is very frustrating as I want to get driver to 105 for this season. 

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

7 minutes ago, BMart519 said:

Long term issues: some bad falls snowboarding, poor posture/office ergonomics since lockdowns, and a gradual transition away from specific shoulder strengthening of rotator cuff and scapulae. Some amount of rotator cuff tears is probable, physio is concerned there could be labrum damage as well.  

Seems to be improving with a focus on rehab and strengthening, I had an hour lesson Saturday and hit irons and hybrids 90-100% (180-200 carry) the whole time with minimal discomfort afterwards and nothing during the lesson. Shifted my swing path from 7 deg left to 2-3 right through better use of lower body/side bend and adjusting ball position, which was super encouraging since I have mostly been doing swings with no balls and drills. I only hit balls outdoors once over the 6 weeks since the lesson to see ball flight as there is currently 1 heated range serving a city of over 1 million people LOL.  (3 hour wait 2 weekends ago)

I have had to put SuperSpeed on pause which is very frustrating as I want to get driver to 105 for this season. 

Glad to hear you had a pain free lesson.  Are you and the physio confident you can avoid surgery?  

Glad to hear you had a pain free lesson.  Are you and the physio confident you can avoid surgery?  

No, I may need a consult with a physician if improving strength cannot mitigate the discomfort which makes it difficult to sleep on my left side and is impacting quality of life which led to seeking treatment. I would prefer to do surgery and clean it up properly at this point unless I continue seeing significant improvements. Cortisone shot may be the next escalation in treatment in a few more weeks. 

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

If you are indeed “strong enough” for golf. Which a 400lb deadlift arguably is... Let this article be your guide...

https://simplifaster.com/articles/strength-strategies-club-head-speed/

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

On 1/25/2021 at 7:37 PM, BMart519 said:

If you are indeed “strong enough” for golf. Which a 400lb deadlift arguably is... Let this article be your guide...

https://simplifaster.com/articles/strength-strategies-club-head-speed/

Thank you for sending this!  I've had to read it about 3 times, not exactly layman stuff, but very helpful.

Based on this article, and some blog posts from Mike Carroll that I've read where he also refers to the value of contrast training, it seems to me that (in a nut shell), I can train in-season basically via supersets of a heavy compound movement for 1-3 reps, followed by an explosive plyometric like box jumps, ball slams, etc.  Add in SuperSpeed and I'm effectively done.

Am I oversimplifying? Any other thoughts from a programming standpoint re sets & reps?

SuperSpeed Level 4 workout today, then...

Med Ball Slams - 10 pound ball, 3 x 5

Dumbbell Press - 95s, reps at 5, 1

Machine Shoulder Press - 150, reps at 10, 3

Machine Dips - 250, reps at 13, 3

Machine Pulldown - 190, reps at 6, 2

Wide-Grip Cable Row - 190, reps at 7, 2

Standing Internal Rotations - 20, 3 x 12

Standing External Rotations - 20, 3 x 10

Box Jumps - 3 x 5

Perhaps most importantly, I'm a couple days away from finally picking up a PRGR.  Should have a long time ago, I know.  Now, frankly, as silly as it seems I'm kind of wondering if I should take SuperSpeed back to the drawing board and start all over at Level 1!  That's probably an overreaction, but the thought has crossed my mind.

2 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

supersets of a heavy compound movement for 1-3 reps, followed by an explosive plyometric like box jumps, ball slams, etc.  

Am I oversimplifying? Any other thoughts from a programming standpoint re sets & reps?

This methodology is also called post-activation potentiation or just potentiation. You'll have to google and figure out more as I have just learned about this recently and have had limited opportunities to try it. Another potentiation option is a weighted sled push, followed by a 20-40m sprint. You could do heavy DB press followed by plyo pushups, DLs or squats followed by any form of jump. It is acceptable to rest 45-60 seconds between the heavy move and plyo so it doesn't turn into a crossfit or endurance workout. I have only done 1 or 2 potentiation supersets at the beginning of each workout, I think you would see reduced benefit if you had 6 pairs programmed. 

Superspeed is golf specific and can happen at other times (I would always do this before potentiation unless being done a few hours later). It doesn't need to be an A3 exercise after A1 - DL, A2 - box jump, for example. 

Don't go back to SS 1 with the PRGR, just start benchmarking where you are now. 

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

29 minutes ago, BMart519 said:

This methodology is also called post-activation potentiation or just potentiation. You'll have to google and figure out more as I have just learned about this recently and have had limited opportunities to try it. Another potentiation option is a weighted sled push, followed by a 20-40m sprint. You could do heavy DB press followed by plyo pushups, DLs or squats followed by any form of jump. It is acceptable to rest 45-60 seconds between the heavy move and plyo so it doesn't turn into a crossfit or endurance workout. I have only done 1 or 2 potentiation supersets at the beginning of each workout, I think you would see reduced benefit if you had 6 pairs programmed. 

Superspeed is golf specific and can happen at other times (I would always do this before potentiation unless being done a few hours later). It doesn't need to be an A3 exercise after A1 - DL, A2 - box jump, for example. 

Thanks.  Weighted sled is tough; base gym might have one but schedule-wise the base hasn't been reliable due to COVID.  I would like to get back there though.  I'm stronger and bigger than your average 5'9 bear, but working out at the Y the average gym-goer there seems a bit less intense if you know what I mean...older folks going through the motions.  Half the time they look at me like they think I'm a possessed roided out freak or something.

Thanks.  Weighted sled is tough; base gym might have one but schedule-wise the base hasn't been reliable due to COVID.  I would like to get back there though.  I'm stronger and bigger than your average 5'9 bear, but working out at the Y the average gym-goer there seems a bit less intense if you know what I mean...older folks going through the motions.  Half the time they look at me like they think I'm a possessed roided out freak or something.

People probably thought I was weird sprinting through the gym, especially during COVID with mask requirements. But I guess it balances out all the times I've judged people doing box jumps without using their arms or doing exercises that have no value or using their cell phone for 5 minutes between sets. As long as I don't damage any equipment or hurt anyone I could care less what they think, I'm not in there to make friends and meet people. The courtesy/etiquette thing can be a big issue at beginner gyms for sure. 

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

Another week in the books.  SuperSpeed Level 4, then my B3 workout...

Dumbbell Curls - 60s, reps at 6, 2

Pinwheel Curls - 50s, reps at 8, 4

Bulgarian Split Squats w/Jump - 50s, 3 x 4

Machine Leg Press Calves - 280, 10 reps

Stiff-Legged Deadlift - 225, 2 x 8 (Could have done more here, need to go a little heavier)

I'm ordering a PRGR and SuperSpeed C Club later today; I'm excited to have a means to break up the monotony a bit.  Also, I got in a bit of trouble at the gym...dented the wall with the medicine ball.  If they'd put out the damn leather one it wouldn't be a problem.  Actually, I should have known...will have to move to the cinder block wall on the other end of the gym.  

On 1/27/2021 at 12:00 PM, BMart519 said:

Hey, I've been thinking about your post for a while, and a previous post (that I also agreed with) about needing to train for speed first, otherwise if you train explosive moments later when you're fatigued you're just training to move slow.  So, how does that reconcile in your mind with these potentiation clusters you've mentioned?  For example, if I do 1-3 reps of squats at the appropriate weight I should be doing for that rep range, am I not setting myself up to train "less explosively" on the jumps?

I hope this comes across how I intend...trying to have a conversation and pick your brain, not say "gotcha."  Trying to get my head around it too.  If I reversed the order, say the speed work first and then the strength second, or jumps and then squats, I know my 1RM would be significantly diminished, right?  Thoughts?

4 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Hey, I've been thinking about your post for a while, and a previous post (that I also agreed with) about needing to train for speed first, otherwise if you train explosive moments later when you're fatigued you're just training to move slow.  So, how does that reconcile in your mind with these potentiation clusters you've mentioned?  For example, if I do 1-3 reps of squats at the appropriate weight I should be doing for that rep range, am I not setting myself up to train "less explosively" on the jumps?

I hope this comes across how I intend...trying to have a conversation and pick your brain, not say "gotcha."  Trying to get my head around it too.  If I reversed the order, say the speed work first and then the strength second, or jumps and then squats, I know my 1RM would be significantly diminished, right?  Thoughts?

I don't understand the mechanics of potentiation and would need a degree in Human Kinetics or similar... I agree with your thought process and was also confused about the clusters when I first learned. I didn't complete them long enough to track progress. 

I am putting faith into people smarter than me on this topic. I consider it to be similar to overspeed training with a loaded squat followed by a bodyweight jump, maybe you move faster? Or your muscles are still expecting that heavier load and behave differently without added resistance. Mind-muscle pathways, etc. 

Also, the volume of heavy work is extremely small and you are supposed to rest and recover prior to the explosive moves. It's not a traditional superset or drop set with no rest. If you wanted to be careful to avoid "training slow", you could reference your max speeds or jump heights in the simplifaster article I posted about speed training to make sure you aren't working too far below top speed. (5% drop for club head speed was mentioned for SuperSpeed work). 

1RM and (even 5RM in my experience) are reduced after speed work, you've expended energy and muscle output on the speed work which can't be recovered without extended (hours/days) rest. These are advanced techniques geared towards increasing output as opposed to getting your max up on big 3 lifts. (Probably also to bust plateaus on vertical jump, sprint speed, etc.) 

Edited by BMart519

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

My SuperSpeed C Club and (finally) a PRGR should be arriving today, so I hope to be able to break up what I know can be a monotonous thread with some diagnostic work.  I listened to another Fit For Golf podcast, this one with Jeff Cook (?), and a lot of discussion was spent on the utility of one-armed swings and diagnosing weak points.  I'm excited to soon have the means to look at that.

This mornings Level 4 SuperSpeed felt like a good one, but I suppose that will be the value of the PRGR right?  Get away from "felt like" assessments.  I've been trying to really embrace the SuperSpeed prescription to stop worrying about swinging pretty and go all out, and I feel like I've really been using more legs as of late.  We'll see...in my mind I'm swinging like Kyle Berkshire, the radar may tell me I'm more like Corey Pavin.

After the SuperSpeed, did my A1 workout.

Med Ball Chest Slams - 10 pound ball, 3 x 5

Incline Dumbbell Press - 85s, reps at 7, 1 (I couldn't get rep 8 but this was easier than last week...time for 90s)

Kneeling Landmine Shoulder Press - 55, reps at 8, 2

Cable Pressdown - 200, reps at 11, 5

Close Grip Chins - 12, 3

Trap Bar Deadlifts - 400, 2 x 5 (Almost got a sixth rep here, grip not quite there)

Standing External Rotations - 20, 3 x 12

My SuperSpeed C Club came in but the PRGR isn't showing up until tomorrow, so I decided to wait to break out the C Club until I could track and measure the swings...Friday hopefully.  So, did a "standard" SuperSpeed Level 4 today.  Interestingly enough, the prescription for introducing the C Club if you're in Level 4 (or 5) is to cut the reps in half and then add a complete C Club protocol on top of that.  I'm probably going to email SuperSpeed to verify my understanding of that.  3 reps versus 5, then do the 3 dominant green stick swings, and then start the C Club protocol I guess...?

Anyway, SuperSpeed and then a B1 workout.

Barbell Curls - 110, reps at 8, 2

Hammer Curls - 60s, reps at 7, 3

Box Jumps - 3 x 5

Machine Leg Press Calves - 280, 8 reps

Single Leg Deadlifts - 65s, 2 x 8

Leg Press - 750, 2 x 8

Standing Anti-Rotations - 50, 3 x 12

Another SuperSpeed Level 4, then my A2 workout:

Med Ball Slams - 10 pound ball, 3 x 5

Machine Chest Press - 200, reps at 8, 2

Arnold Press - 60s, reps at 8, 3

Machine Dips - 250, reps at 13, 3

Lat Pulldowns - 190, reps at 7, 3

T-Bar Rows - 180, 2 x 6

Box Jumps - 3 x 5

Standing External Rotations - 20, 3 x 12

More importantly, my PRGR came in...next week I'll be breaking out the C Club and incorporating that into Level 4, and I'll finally be able to track my progress and speeds.

I did take the time to email SuperSpeed to make sure I was correct in how I intended to incorporate the C Club, and they replied back very quickly I had it right.  So, next weeks Level 4 w/C Club will look like this:

Normal Swings:  3 swings dominant side and non-dominant w/Green, Blue, and Red sticks

Heel-Stomp: Same as above

Double-Step:  Same as above

Max Out:  3 swings dominant side only, Green stick

C Club Standing:  3 swings each side, 2 sets

C Club Narrow Stance:  Same as above

C Club Step-Change:  Same as above

C Club Max Out:  3 swings dominant side only

In total, 96 swings in a 10-15 minute workout.  Damn.

On 9/22/2020 at 9:55 AM, Getoffmylawn said:

Eyes may have rolled at just the title of this thread, but I can honestly say I decided I was going to do this several months ago…I’m going to run an offseason “experiment” of bulking up in search of clubhead speed, yards, and ultimately lower scores.  And yes, I’ll give you one hint at who inspired this…his name sounds like SchmeShambeau…

Several factors leading me to this decision.  One, I’m an obsessive type that needs something to sink my interests and energies into, and I’m stationed in Nebraska, meaning I have an offseason of several months where I won’t be able to play.  Two, I’ve been doing some sort of weight-training program for the last 15 years or so…I’m not a gym newbie that’s going to hurt himself or be completely clueless on how to do this.  Three, I have sufficient training aids (namely Planemate and Orange Whip) to keep taking swings over the course of the offseason to make sure I come out of this offseason bulk with a golf swing intact.  (I’ll likely also take a couple GolfTEC lessons during this timeframe too.)

1546874697_TrainingAids.jpg.da210b679c582f6dda6619b2b255376a.jpg.117a92e9a7d8837278c91cd93fe48ded.jpg

So, baseline numbers of relevance:

Current Weight:  182

Body Fat:  17%  (Per a Bod Pod assessment last week)

Clubhead Speed:  101-102 average as assessed via last GolfTEC session

Current Handicap:  5.9

And now the goal numbers:

Goal Weight:  200

Goal Body Fat:  Keep it under 20%

Clubhead Speed:  As fast as humanly possible, duh

Goal Handicap:  Down to 3 in 2021

So here’s my plan in a nutshell:  I’m going to weight train 3 times per week (MWF), with moderately intense cardio on Tuesday & Thursday.  Additionally, I'm doing SuperSpeed training MWF before the weight training sessions; I’m currently 3 weeks into the Level 3 protocol.  I’ll also be doing Planemate protocols 3-4 times per week, foam rolling and a stretching routine 3-4 times per week, and Orange Whip on a less frequent and sporadic basis.  Diet-wise I’ll be putting myself into a 500 calorie surplus daily with the intent of bulking as cleanly as possible…have to maintain appearances with the wife in the name of my social agenda, if you know what I mean.

Over the next few days I’ll post more in-depth info on the weight training program and the diet, and then perpetually update the thread with progress, assessments, etc.  (Don’t worry, no gratuitous shirtless male before and after pics coming.)

I’m open to feedback, outside of “don’t do it”…that train has left the station.  There will be some limiting factors as well.  Like I’ve said, I’ve been weight-training in some form or another for 15+ years, so the law of diminishing returns will kick in…I’m not going to instantly pack on 15 pounds like a guy who has never been in a weight room would.

The bottom line is I’m going to attempt to slowly and cleanly add size, strength and power, with what I think are a lot of measures in place to maintain and enhance mobility and flexibility.  And, I’m going to use this forum to keep myself accountable. 

Feel free to call me out, offer advice, ask questions, comment, etc.

More to follow...

I commend your commitment to this.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Frustrating and discouraging morning that I'm trying not to overreact to, yet.  I broke out the PRGR for the first time and did my first combined Level 4 and C Club protocol.  Turns out I'm ...slow.  Embarrassingly slow, especially among this group and when I've gone to the lengths I have over the past several months.

I tracked all my speeds and will post a spreadsheet come Friday after I've got a week of speeds charted, and I do have to keep in mind that it was 4 in the morning, -2 out, garage floor, etc.  I'm also keenly aware that my speed challenges are likely rooted in technique.  When I swing poorly I tend to throw the clubhead at the ball instead of swinging the handle, and from the ground-up.  Nevertheless, I was supremely disappointed this morning and hope to improve the next time out.  Again, I'll post results from the first week of tracking Friday...frankly I'm going to be embarassed to but it's not right to post "look how strong I am" posts and then censor out the less flattering stuff.  Sigh.

After the SuperSpeed, did my B2 workout:

Med Ball Wall Slams - 10, 3 x 5

Reverse Grip EZ Curl - 125, reps at 4, 2

Box Jumps w/Turn - 3 x 4

Standing Cable Anti-Rotations - 50, 3 x 12

Seated Calf Raise - 120, 10

Lying Leg Curl - 150, 8, 4 - Time to go to 160

Squats - 315, 2 x 9 - Really I should go to 365 here but I shoveled the driveway a LOT over the weekend and I didn't want to push the lowerback too much.

On another note, I'm considering renaming this thread since I'm not apparently on track for the massive speed gains I'd hoped for, and the overall goal is to improve my score more than anything else.  And, I'm keenly aware that my content is getting rather repetitive.  Not sure what to call it though...

5 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Frustrating and discouraging morning that I'm trying not to overreact to, yet.  I broke out the PRGR for the first time and did my first combined Level 4 and C Club protocol.  Turns out I'm ...slow.  Embarrassingly slow, especially among this group and when I've gone to the lengths I have over the past several months.

I tracked all my speeds and will post a spreadsheet come Friday after I've got a week of speeds charted, and I do have to keep in mind that it was 4 in the morning, -2 out, garage floor, etc.  I'm also keenly aware that my speed challenges are likely rooted in technique.  When I swing poorly I tend to throw the clubhead at the ball instead of swinging the handle, and from the ground-up.  Nevertheless, I was supremely disappointed this morning and hope to improve the next time out.  Again, I'll post results from the first week of tracking Friday...frankly I'm going to be embarassed to but it's not right to post "look how strong I am" posts and then censor out the less flattering stuff.  Sigh.

After the SuperSpeed, did my B2 workout:

Med Ball Wall Slams - 10, 3 x 5

Reverse Grip EZ Curl - 125, reps at 4, 2

Box Jumps w/Turn - 3 x 4

Standing Cable Anti-Rotations - 50, 3 x 12

Seated Calf Raise - 120, 10

Lying Leg Curl - 150, 8, 4 - Time to go to 160

Squats - 315, 2 x 9 - Really I should go to 365 here but I shoveled the driveway a LOT over the weekend and I didn't want to push the lowerback too much.

On another note, I'm considering renaming this thread since I'm not apparently on track for the massive speed gains I'd hoped for, and the overall goal is to improve my score more than anything else.  And, I'm keenly aware that my content is getting rather repetitive.  Not sure what to call it though...

One thing to keep in mind is that a lot of people's posted numbers with the SS sticks are from the Sports Sensors radar and not the PRGR. My general impression is that the PRGR reads lower than the Sports Sensors one.

I would guess that after a few weeks of work with the radar offering feedback you will see a jump in your speeds. Having that feedback will help immensely to determine the difference between what feels fast and what is actually fast.

3 Wood: 
4 Utility: 
5-PW:
50°, 54°, 58°:
Putter:
Grips: 

Riding On: