TESTERS WANTED! ×

GolfSpy AFG’s Speed & Swing Odyssey

3 minutes ago, Shankster said:

I wonder what the best option for the radar is.  I mean I think it is a necessity for speed training, without the feedback how do we see our hard work pay off.

Mine is acting funny too.  That or I’m 15mph slower in a day…

Yeah, I trained (like an idiot) doing SuperSpeed for well over half a year before I popped for a radar, and as soon as I didn finally get one I realized how much time I'd wasted.  

My radar was acting really funny in my garage...I'd have a swing register at 120 (for example), and then 82, when the swing might have been slower but there was no way in hell it was 38 mph slower.  Taking it into the gym seems to have alleviated that.  The base gym here is a converted aircraft hangar...wide open spaces, and I can't recall where but I've read that these small radar units perform better in that kind of environment.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

57 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

One thing I am wondering, and I'm hoping I can get @BMart519or @Chip Strokesto chime in, is I've been doing this Complex/Potentiation Training routine for basically 4-5 months now...Weighted Sleds, rest, then Sprints, Squats, rest, then box jumps, etc.  I was thinking for varieties sake I would move away from that routine for basically 10 weeks in the offseason to a more traditional hypertrophy workout, while still doing the explosive sprints, jumps, and med ball work at the beginning of those workouts, and then get back to the complex training come January.  Thoughts?  Or if I'm seeing speed gains do you see any harm in just keeping with what I'm doing?

Not looking forward to this coming week off, but already excited to get after it once I'm back!

Sounds like you had a bit of a break with vacations. If the current potentiation programming is yielding gains, I would stick with it until you reach plateaus given your extensive training history. Your strength levels were sufficient in terms of major compound lifts to support high swing speeds. My opinion is that speed work has more low hanging fruit for you then adding another 50 lbs to your big lifts . 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

• 3 weeks later...

Increased the weight on the weighted sled to 500, and added one more set of sled and sprints.

10DCC31B-B673-4C27-B5F3-ADD39935D14E.jpeg.ada8bdfb7a59913d7f9dc3ca62107757.jpeg

Last sprint was my fastest so I’m confident one more set is worth it and not too much.  

The quest continues….

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

11 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Increased the weight on the weighted sled to 500, and added one more set of sled and sprints.

Last sprint was my fastest so I’m confident one more set is worth it and not too much.  

The quest continues….

You can add volume if you are within 10% of max speed if you are timing yourself... I would have gone for an addition set if your last one was fastest in this example. 

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

Fun fact: in the gym, instead of the garage, you get a nice burnt rubber smell instead of sparks if you catch the turf on a SuperSpeed swing…

7BBB8116-3776-4937-BDAF-A77466F472F6.jpeg.269258547746702f33513c8882dd1928.jpeg

On 9/15/2021 at 5:17 AM, Getoffmylawn said:

Fun fact: in the gym, instead of the garage, you get a nice burnt rubber smell instead of sparks if you catch the turf on a SuperSpeed swing…

Damn you must be getting steep! 😉 I don't ever remember ground contact with the Stack or SuperSpeed, but I also do them on my range mat as I would be terrified of breaking the end off the Stack with how expensive it was or sending a bunch of steel washers flying around my garage that I epoxied together for my DIY SuperSpeed. 

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

27 minutes ago, BMart519 said:

Damn you must be getting steep! 😉 I don't ever remember ground contact with the Stack or SuperSpeed, but I also do them on my range mat as I would be terrified of breaking the end off the Stack with how expensive it was or sending a bunch of steel washers flying around my garage that I epoxied together for my DIY SuperSpeed. 

Nah, it was on a kneeling swing actually!

1 minute ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Nah, it was on a kneeling swing actually!

Ahhh, I could never burn rubber on a kneeling swing. 😆 And I barely ever did those as I use way too much upper body to a fault as it is. 

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

• 1 month later...

It's been a while since I've posted here, but rest assured I'm slogging away and hatching some off-season plans that I'll detail here soon.

Regarding that slogging away, here's my progress through SuperSpeed Level 2 so far.  Again, pretty slow, but as Bill Miller often says, I'm basically one of those athletes that is very good at moving heavy things, but not good at moving light things fast.

image.png.ce40a8db901adca7e14f06f1fe308003.png

The Level 2 work happens every Monday and Friday, minus the occasional out-of-town missed session.  Level 2 C Club work happens every Wednesday:

image.png.b685995cb1001ddb60dacc313cc8fd87.png

Again, almost embarrassingly slow, but as a guy who hasn't trained for explosion and power (but instead hypertrophy) for about 20 years now, I'm cutting myself some slack.  I feel like the sprints, jumps and med ball work are starting to pay off, and as long as I see these trendlines continue to creep up I'm happy.  Not satisfied by any means, but happy. 

More about my off-season training plans soon...

8 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

It's been a while since I've posted here, but rest assured I'm slogging away and hatching some off-season plans that I'll detail here soon.

Regarding that slogging away, here's my progress through SuperSpeed Level 2 so far.  Again, pretty slow, but as Bill Miller often says, I'm basically one of those athletes that is very good at moving heavy things, but not good at moving light things fast.

The Level 2 work happens every Monday and Friday, minus the occasional out-of-town missed session.  Level 2 C Club work happens every Wednesday:

Again, almost embarrassingly slow, but as a guy who hasn't trained for explosion and power (but instead hypertrophy) for about 20 years now, I'm cutting myself some slack.  I feel like the sprints, jumps and med ball work are starting to pay off, and as long as I see these trendlines continue to creep up I'm happy.  Not satisfied by any means, but happy. 

Thats some great hard work right there and you are faster than you give yourself credit for. Our speeds with the sticks are about the same so I would guess you are getting driver going mid 100s or so which is nothing to baulk at. Keep up that hard work. 

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

6 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Those numbers aren't slow at all, and it looks like you've made a bit of progress on them. I like how your blue and red sticks are in line with your green sticks. When I was doing SuperSpeed with my DIY sticks, I never was able to get the blue and red sticks to consistently stay in line with the green speeds. When I switched to Rypstick I found I was better able to get the mid and heavy weights more in line with the light weight, which translated to better speeds on the course.

We're in opposite camps as my goal for this offseason is to increase my weights as much as possible and only maintain the explosive work.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

13 hours ago, edingc said:

Those numbers aren't slow at all, and it looks like you've made a bit of progress on them. I like how your blue and red sticks are in line with your green sticks. When I was doing SuperSpeed with my DIY sticks, I never was able to get the blue and red sticks to consistently stay in line with the green speeds. When I switched to Rypstick I found I was better able to get the mid and heavy weights more in line with the light weight, which translated to better speeds on the course.

I am in the same boat my green and blue are usually in the right zone, but the read always stays what feels too slow. It took until the end of level 2 until that started to get a bit better, I think getting used to the weight of that club. I have dropped off so I am sure that would be down now, but time to get back to it.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

On 10/15/2021 at 3:00 PM, IONEPUTT said:

If you think hitting a 69* wedge is hard, wait until you try a 64*. I have both. I'm rather good with the 60*, but the 64* for some reason takes about twice as much work to get the hang of it. Same make and model, just much harder to use the 64*. 

On 9/22/2020 at 10:55 AM, Getoffmylawn said:

Eyes may have rolled at just the title of this thread, but I can honestly say I decided I was going to do this several months ago…I’m going to run an offseason “experiment” of bulking up in search of clubhead speed, yards, and ultimately lower scores.  And yes, I’ll give you one hint at who inspired this…his name sounds like SchmeShambeau…

Several factors leading me to this decision.  One, I’m an obsessive type that needs something to sink my interests and energies into, and I’m stationed in Nebraska, meaning I have an offseason of several months where I won’t be able to play.  Two, I’ve been doing some sort of weight-training program for the last 15 years or so…I’m not a gym newbie that’s going to hurt himself or be completely clueless on how to do this.  Three, I have sufficient training aids (namely Planemate and Orange Whip) to keep taking swings over the course of the offseason to make sure I come out of this offseason bulk with a golf swing intact.  (I’ll likely also take a couple GolfTEC lessons during this timeframe too.)

1546874697_TrainingAids.jpg.da210b679c582f6dda6619b2b255376a.jpg.117a92e9a7d8837278c91cd93fe48ded.jpg

So, baseline numbers of relevance:

Current Weight:  182

Body Fat:  17%  (Per a Bod Pod assessment last week)

Clubhead Speed:  101-102 average as assessed via last GolfTEC session

Current Handicap:  5.9

And now the goal numbers:

Goal Weight:  200

Goal Body Fat:  Keep it under 20%

Clubhead Speed:  As fast as humanly possible, duh

Goal Handicap:  Down to 3 in 2021

So here’s my plan in a nutshell:  I’m going to weight train 3 times per week (MWF), with moderately intense cardio on Tuesday & Thursday.  Additionally, I'm doing SuperSpeed training MWF before the weight training sessions; I’m currently 3 weeks into the Level 3 protocol.  I’ll also be doing Planemate protocols 3-4 times per week, foam rolling and a stretching routine 3-4 times per week, and Orange Whip on a less frequent and sporadic basis.  Diet-wise I’ll be putting myself into a 500 calorie surplus daily with the intent of bulking as cleanly as possible…have to maintain appearances with the wife in the name of my social agenda, if you know what I mean.

Over the next few days I’ll post more in-depth info on the weight training program and the diet, and then perpetually update the thread with progress, assessments, etc.  (Don’t worry, no gratuitous shirtless male before and after pics coming.)

I’m open to feedback, outside of “don’t do it”…that train has left the station.  There will be some limiting factors as well.  Like I’ve said, I’ve been weight-training in some form or another for 15+ years, so the law of diminishing returns will kick in…I’m not going to instantly pack on 15 pounds like a guy who has never been in a weight room would.

The bottom line is I’m going to attempt to slowly and cleanly add size, strength and power, with what I think are a lot of measures in place to maintain and enhance mobility and flexibility.  And, I’m going to use this forum to keep myself accountable. 

Feel free to call me out, offer advice, ask questions, comment, etc.

More to follow...

Sounds like you are on your own. The BD did both build mass and as heavily on technique as well. Titleist has a TPI website open to the public to peruse what their experts recommend for exercise to improve muscles used in a golf swing. There are TPI certified instructors around the country if a trip to Oceanside TPI (physical training only if Titleist clubs aren’t on your timeline).  But some professional advice to avoid injury can’t hurt. 

Titleist TSR 11 degree, HZRDS Red R 44.75 LH

Titleist TSR-1 5/7 Woods LH

Titleist TSR-1 23 Hybrid LH

Titleist T200  7-48 - T350 6 Tensai AMT Red LH

Titleist SM9 50-54-58 TT AMT Red LH

Scotty Phantom X 7.5 RH

I am looking forward to seeing you progress. A lot of us want to do this.

Edited by B_R_A_D_Y
Changed my mind

:titelist-small: TSi3 #1-3-5 all with Tensi Blue S-flex

:callaway-small: 2019 Apex Pro black 3 & 4H Catalyst 70 or    

:titelist-small: TSi3 #2-3 depending on how I’m playing. Tensi Blue

:callaway-small: 2019 Calloway Apex Pro black, 5-PW, Catalyst 100 - 6.0, Super Stroker Jumbo   

:cobra-small:  2020 RadSpeed OL 4H, 5-GW … won’t get to actually use till warmer weather

:callaway-small: 2019 PM-grind, 56° & 60°, KBS steel, Green Cap

:taylormade-small: Blue Spider EX

:titelist-small: Pro V1X

I lift weights frequently due to back issues with a focus on the lower body (front squats, power cleans, lunges) etc.

I have also learned that just loading my right side sufficiently increases my clubhead speed by 10 mph according to my golf radar.

It was Ben Hogan, Arnold Palmer and watching Tiger Woods that convinced me to change my swing in the 90's. I started hitting soft balls and it has been hit an miss but I did get to a single digit with poor arm and hand mechanics just by focusing on my alignment and weight shift. I had me speed measured at close to 130. I have an extended driver that I think I can reach 125, again with a focus on the weight shift but with better mechanics. I am 56.

Speaking of gaining speed, I saw a 3 mph per inch increase of shaft length for those interested. 

It’s C Club, so not something to get TOO excited about, but making gains and nice to see a new PR.  First time in the 140s…

98C978A8-E326-4A75-AEE9-0A0988FEC798.jpeg.fbe572e9495dbc864d51e13dd460c31d.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

It’s C Club, so not something to get TOO excited about, but making gains and nice to see a new PR.  First time in the 140s…

98C978A8-E326-4A75-AEE9-0A0988FEC798.jpeg.fbe572e9495dbc864d51e13dd460c31d.jpeg

that’s awesome man!!! gettin fast!!

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

On 10/23/2021 at 4:59 PM, Cblade said:

I lift weights frequently due to back issues with a focus on the lower body (front squats, power cleans, lunges) etc.

I have also learned that just loading my right side sufficiently increases my clubhead speed by 10 mph according to my golf radar.

It was Ben Hogan, Arnold Palmer and watching Tiger Woods that convinced me to change my swing in the 90's. I started hitting soft balls and it has been hit an miss but I did get to a single digit with poor arm and hand mechanics just by focusing on my alignment and weight shift. I had me speed measured at close to 130. I have an extended driver that I think I can reach 125, again with a focus on the weight shift but with better mechanics. I am 56.

Speaking of gaining speed, I saw a 3 mph per inch increase of shaft length for those interested. 

Just an FYI … A gorilla is strong, but not fast. A gazelle is fast but not strong. Be a gorzella my friend. Balance strength training with speed training. As a matter of fact, performing one then the other, increases your twitch muscle fibers, which u use for speed.

:titelist-small: TSi3 #1-3-5 all with Tensi Blue S-flex

:callaway-small: 2019 Apex Pro black 3 & 4H Catalyst 70 or    

:titelist-small: TSi3 #2-3 depending on how I’m playing. Tensi Blue

:callaway-small: 2019 Calloway Apex Pro black, 5-PW, Catalyst 100 - 6.0, Super Stroker Jumbo   

:cobra-small:  2020 RadSpeed OL 4H, 5-GW … won’t get to actually use till warmer weather

:callaway-small: 2019 PM-grind, 56° & 60°, KBS steel, Green Cap

:taylormade-small: Blue Spider EX

:titelist-small: Pro V1X

• 1 month later...

Been a while since I posted here...still at it my friends!  I just started Level 3 SuperSpeed training this week, which I'll post progress of after I've got a few weeks under my belt.  I'll also post the workouts...still plenty of heavy deadlifts, squats, and weighted sled work paired with jumps, sprints, and med ball work.

This offseason I've got two main swing keys to really iron out...forward hip sway and re-hinging the club.  After a stretch of consistent low 70s golf, I ended the season on a whimper of low to barely breaking 80's, largely due to consistently blocking shots and with a loss of distance.  The culprit...sliding forward too much out of an ill-advised desire to cover the ball, and a focus too much on using the body to control the club face and not releasing the club through impact.  Below is a GolfTec lesson image wherein we identified the culprit and the fixes.  (Bad on the left, good on the right.)

88716845_Lesson3.PNG.adb6bed5a18e2df412d37c81f34f49c3.PNG

I'm thinking about buying a Power Fan to work on the wrist hinging part, but I already have plenty of training aids and Orange Whip and the PlaneMate each have protocols that offer to address this.  As far as the sway, I basically need to get into the thought of staying more centered and posting up and turning, rather than sliding forward.  A Nebraska offseason in the basement awaits to try and drill these fixes home!  I'll probably get on a sim a couple times a month to see how I'm doing progress wise.

22 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Been a while since I posted here...still at it my friends!  I just started Level 3 SuperSpeed training this week, which I'll post progress of after I've got a few weeks under my belt.  I'll also post the workouts...still plenty of heavy deadlifts, squats, and weighted sled work paired with jumps, sprints, and med ball work.

This offseason I've got two main swing keys to really iron out...forward hip sway and re-hinging the club.  After a stretch of consistent low 70s golf, I ended the season on a whimper of low to barely breaking 80's, largely due to consistently blocking shots and with a loss of distance.  The culprit...sliding forward too much out of an ill-advised desire to cover the ball, and a focus too much on using the body to control the club face and not releasing the club through impact.  Below is a GolfTec lesson image wherein we identified the culprit and the fixes.  (Bad on the left, good on the right.)

88716845_Lesson3.PNG.adb6bed5a18e2df412d37c81f34f49c3.PNG

I'm thinking about buying a Power Fan to work on the wrist hinging part, but I already have plenty of training aids and Orange Whip and the PlaneMate each have protocols that offer to address this.  As far as the sway, I basically need to get into the thought of staying more centered and posting up and turning, rather than sliding forward.  A Nebraska offseason in the basement awaits to try and drill these fixes home!  I'll probably get on a sim a couple times a month to see how I'm doing progress wise.

IIRC, you bought the Force Pedals, too. Have you used them? My limited use of a tennis ball cut in half has seemingly done wonders for my pivot and staying more centered throughout the swing.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

23 hours ago, edingc said:

IIRC, you bought the Force Pedals, too. Have you used them? My limited use of a tennis ball cut in half has seemingly done wonders for my pivot and staying more centered throughout the swing.

Yeah, I did pick those up, and I think they’re helping but I’m not ready to definitively say they’ve helped yet…feel not always being real and all.  I’ll see when I get some numbers at a January/February lesson.

• 5 weeks later...

So I'm doing a little panicking/freaking out right now.  I have a shoulder injury that could potentially sideline me for the season.

Long story short, Thanksgiving week I was snowboarding at Keystone, took a fall, and my left shoulder felt a little stiff for the next day or two after.  I didn't think anything of it, went back to my gym routine the following week, and noticed the same stiffness but no loss of strength or range of motion. After about a month in the gym, I took a week off to go on another road trip with the family.

When I got back to the gym, something wasn't right.  Pressing movements hurt, and I normally do cable external and internal rotations with 15 pounds on the stack, largely to build strong and healthy rotator cuffs.  I could barely do 5 with my left arm, and as I type this I have a persistent ache and some odd range of motion issues...I can move it in every direction but some angles come with some pain.  And, if I stretch it out (arm across the chest, pulling the arm into me with the other arm) I get about 3-4 pops and clicks from the shoulder.

If I have rotator cuff tendinitis, that's about a month of rest and that will drive me crazy, but I can be a big boy and deal with it.  If it's a tear, I could be staring at a surgery that will cancel my golf season.

I've been icing the hell out of it and I'm finding a little less pain as I explore the range of motion, so hopefully it's just inflamed and I'm slowly bringing that inflammation down.  I'm going to see the doctor on Tuesday, and I would think that will lead to an X-Ray or (hopefully) MRI....really really hoping to not lose an entire season.  Prior to this my speed and weight training was really paying off.  I hit new SuperSpeed PRs (145 C Club, 139 green) and really feel like I can have a great year.

We'll see.  Fingers crossed.

On 1/16/2022 at 11:17 AM, Getoffmylawn said:

So I'm doing a little panicking/freaking out right now.  I have a shoulder injury that could potentially sideline me for the season.

Long story short, Thanksgiving week I was snowboarding at Keystone, took a fall, and my left shoulder felt a little stiff for the next day or two after.  I didn't think anything of it, went back to my gym routine the following week, and noticed the same stiffness but no loss of strength or range of motion. After about a month in the gym, I took a week off to go on another road trip with the family.

When I got back to the gym, something wasn't right.  Pressing movements hurt, and I normally do cable external and internal rotations with 15 pounds on the stack, largely to build strong and healthy rotator cuffs.  I could barely do 5 with my left arm, and as I type this I have a persistent ache and some odd range of motion issues...I can move it in every direction but some angles come with some pain.  And, if I stretch it out (arm across the chest, pulling the arm into me with the other arm) I get about 3-4 pops and clicks from the shoulder.

If I have rotator cuff tendinitis, that's about a month of rest and that will drive me crazy, but I can be a big boy and deal with it.  If it's a tear, I could be staring at a surgery that will cancel my golf season.

I've been icing the hell out of it and I'm finding a little less pain as I explore the range of motion, so hopefully it's just inflamed and I'm slowly bringing that inflammation down.  I'm going to see the doctor on Tuesday, and I would think that will lead to an X-Ray or (hopefully) MRI....really really hoping to not lose an entire season.  Prior to this my speed and weight training was really paying off.  I hit new SuperSpeed PRs (145 C Club, 139 green) and really feel like I can have a great year.

We'll see.  Fingers crossed.

US and Canadian medical systems are quite different but you are a number of steps away from surgery being suggested. The only time surgery and diagnostic imaging was brought up for my shoulder was when the pain was affecting my ability to sleep. Tears are commonly managed by strengthening the area unless: they are severe and impacting quality of life or can no longer complete job function (anything from manual laborer to pro athlete). ***Unless you have top of line medical coverage or willing to foot the bill out of pocket and push for a surgery. 

Sounds similar to my situation where pressing anything over 150 lbs causes discomfort and certain angles are a no-go. Also primarily due to awkward snowboarding falls on my elbows and shoulders. 

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

I was in dire straights with my left shoulder as well, not a cool story like your snowboarding injury but I had surgery.  In hindsight I wish I would have done more PT first.  I had a 18 month recovery, and I’m still not right.  Rest has done wonders for my elbow.  I wish you nothing but the best on your recovery road.

3 hours ago, BMart519 said:

US and Canadian medical systems are quite different but you are a number of steps away from surgery being suggested. The only time surgery and diagnostic imaging was brought up for my shoulder was when the pain was affecting my ability to sleep. Tears are commonly managed by strengthening the area unless: they are severe and impacting quality of life or can no longer complete job function (anything from manual laborer to pro athlete). ***Unless you have top of line medical coverage or willing to foot the bill out of pocket and push for a surgery. 

Sounds similar to my situation where pressing anything over 150 lbs causes discomfort and certain angles are a no-go. Also primarily due to awkward snowboarding falls on my elbows and shoulders. 

Thanks.  I’m a bit surprised to have this problem; I’ve been doing cable external and internal rotations enough that I would have expected to have some strong rotator cuffs.

Since my last post I’ve been icing aggressively and I’m cautiously optimistic I’m going to get a tendinitis diagnosis.  That I can deal with; definitely don’t want surgery.  I actually still did my SuperSpeed workout and sprints this morning, and baby weights at high reps for chest and back…I would think I couldn’t really do that with a tear…?

16 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Thanks.  I’m a bit surprised to have this problem; I’ve been doing cable external and internal rotations enough that I would have expected to have some strong rotator cuffs.

Since my last post I’ve been icing aggressively and I’m cautiously optimistic I’m going to get a tendinitis diagnosis.  That I can deal with; definitely don’t want surgery.  I actually still did my SuperSpeed workout and sprints this morning, and baby weights at high reps for chest and back…I would think I couldn’t really do that with a tear…?

Feedback from my physio is I likely have some degree of SLAP tear in my shoulder. Speed training doesn't really aggravate it. The biggest issue is pressing near 3-5 rep max or high volume push ups. Rows and back exercises have no effect. Lifting weights helps reinforce the surrounding muscles to support the joint. If left alone, the lack of exercise allows slack in the ball and socket joint which increases discomfort as it "grinds" over the area with tears. 

My worst snowboarding fall resulted in not being able to lift my arm above shoulder height for a few weeks if I remember correctly. Which is more severe than what you describe. 

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

20 minutes ago, BMart519 said:

Feedback from my physio is I likely have some degree of SLAP tear in my shoulder. Speed training doesn't really aggravate it. The biggest issue is pressing near 3-5 rep max or high volume push ups. Rows and back exercises have no effect. Lifting weights helps reinforce the surrounding muscles to support the joint. If left alone, the lack of exercise allows slack in the ball and socket joint which increases discomfort as it "grinds" over the area with tears. 

My worst snowboarding fall resulted in not being able to lift my arm above shoulder height for a few weeks if I remember correctly. Which is more severe than what you describe. 

Yeah, I just got back and the doctor was confident I'm just dealing with tendonitis...possibly a small tear but the treatment will be the same.  Ice, ibuprofen, and I'm being referred to a physical therapist.  I was even told I can continue to lift, but basically stop if it hurts and go for a lighter weight higher rep scheme for a bit.

Feeling VERY relieved to avoid something more serious; didn't want to miss out on the upcoming season.

Sitting here with an ice pack on my shoulder and I thought I'd go ahead and provide an update on my speed and lower scores pursuits.

Lower scores?  We'll see when the snow melts.  Last year I set two personal bests but lost my way and ended up fighting blocks for the last 3-4 weeks of the season.  Having taken a few lessons that I believe have identified the fix, I'm getting extremely excited to attack the course next year.  Newfound (and hopefully still climbing) speed, a lot of offseason putting practice, DECADE Foundations, and even some pretty consistent meditation practice, and I'm confident I'm primed for a good year.  

As for the workout regimen, here's last week's workout in all it's glorious (or boring) detail:

Monday

SuperSpeed Level 3

4 sets, 40M Weighted Sleds at 520 pounds followed by 3 minutes rest, then 40M sprints

3 sets, 4 reps of Trap Bar Deadlifts at 330 pounds, 3 minutes rest, then 5 reps of Medicine Ball Overhead Slams w/8 lb ball

3 sets, 3 reps of Incline Dumbbell Presses w/90s, 3 minutes rest, then 5 Plyo Push-ups

Wednesday

SuperSpeed Level 3, C Club

Hypertrophy workout...Shoulders, Triceps, Biceps, Forearms, Calves...hitting all the beach muscles that more golf-focused power workouts on Monday and Friday don't hit.  I do a lot of cable internal and external rotations to strengthen the rotator cuff, ironically enough.

Friday

3 sets, Squats at 365 pounds paired followed by 3 minutes rest, then 5 box jumps

3 sets, 5 reps of Lat Pulldowns at 200 pounds followed by 3 minutes rest, then 5 Medicine Ball Overhead Slams w/8 lb ball

3 sets, 5 reps of Hammer Strength Wide Chest at 270 pounds followed by 3 minutes rest, then 5 Medicine Ball Wall Slams

Abs are a MWF undertaking which I won't bore everyone with further here.

The speed gains are coming, slowly but surely...I'll post a progress update specific to speed shortly.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update: my rotator cuff tendinitis isn’t getting better, or worse.  I went to my first physical therapy session today and was told to stop icing because I was only delaying the healing process. I was also given some exercises to do, and had my first dry needling experience today too.  It honestly feels improved already, but we’ll see if that holds up.

On another note, I highly recommend checking out the latest Fit for Golf podcast with Sasho McKenzie as the guest.  A bit of a technical discussion, but the conversation concerning wrist angles was really interesting.  According to Sasho, wrist angles and the ability to transfer power ti the club through the wrist joint is the single greatest contributor to clubhead speed, NOT ground reaction forces.  Passive hands and wrist angles will definitely be a speed training focus for me going forward.

43 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

According to Sasho, wrist angles and the ability to transfer power ti the club through the wrist joint is the single greatest contributor to clubhead speed, NOT ground reaction forces.  Passive hands and wrist angles will definitely be a speed training focus for me going forward.

Watch videos from most instructors and they will tell you that proper wrist movement is key. If the wrists aren’t moving right the club and thus the club face aren’t going to be out of position and it’s going to be nothing but compensation in the swing causing inefficient body movement. 

Monte talks about wrists as well as the hips.

Mike Adams says if you want to walk faster swing the arms faster and the same applies in golf. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1