Jump to content

Getoffmylawn's Need for Speed, AND LOWER SCORES!


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

I've heard that from Mike Carroll too, that the SuperSpeed protocols are too high volume from his perspective.  Did my first Level 4 today and it definitely is...3 different swings, 5 swings per stick, dominant and non-dominant.  Add the 3 normals at the end and that's 93 total swings to knock out, with each to be done "all out"!  

I  made my own sticks, but stopped at the light and heavy. I see minimal need for the middle stick, so that reduces my reps by 33%. During my Protocol 4 session yesterday that resulted in 3 swings with 2 sticks at 6 reps per side = 72 swings plus 3 max out at the end. You could probably knock that down to 4 or 5 reps with the same benefit to reduce down to 48 or 60 total. 90+ swings at full speed is like 5 rounds worth of tee shots or at least 2 rounds worth of full swings, which seems like overkill. 

3 hours ago, edingc said:

Do you still do both sides or only focus on your dominant side? 

One of the things I've taken away from reading some Fit For Golf and Par4Success content is that the SuperSpeed protocols may be a bit taxing unnecessarily, which I've found to be true. Very hard for me to keep up a full protocol workout combined with lifting/stretching. I've enjoyed just working through "regular" swings with the different weights - much quicker and far less taxing on the body.

I have continued left hand swings, my technique is terrible and I get a lot of no-reads which is discouraging. I only do SS 1X week, so I plan on continuing both sides. The new material from Fit For Golf with 1 arm swings using the light stick has me intrigued. If I incorporate these, I am likely to drop non-dominant swings to keep the reps down or cut the reps in half.  

  • Like 2

:cobra-small: F9 Driver 9*

:cobra-small: Baffler hybrids some combo of 2H-5H

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

:ping-small: G700 4i, Glide 2.0 54, 58*

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just wanted to chime in and say I'll be following along! I've definitely jumped on the bandwagon to see what sort of gains I can make this offseason, so I'll definitely be stealing some ideas from you! Just picked up a swing speed trainer too, so I like how you've been incorporating it.

  • Like 2

Driver: :callaway-small: XR16 LD 7* w/ House of Forged Jamie Sadlowski S

3Wood: :cobra-small: F9 Speedback Tour 12.5* Draw w/ Project X Even Flow White T1100 75S

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 818 H1 16* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 90S

Irons: :titelist-small: 718 T-MB (3); :titelist-small: 716 AP2 (5-PW)

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX4 52/58; :cleveland-small: Full-face 64

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Hollywood / :cleveland-small: SOFT 11

Ball: :srixon-small:

Instagram: @thatgolfguyrob

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Duplicate post, but now I'll use it say that I'm interested in seeing how you adapt the plan for the explosive phase. As others have mentioned, Fit For Golf is a great resource, as is Bill Miller (IG: @billmillertraining).

Edited by rsolson5755
duplicate post
  • Like 1

Driver: :callaway-small: XR16 LD 7* w/ House of Forged Jamie Sadlowski S

3Wood: :cobra-small: F9 Speedback Tour 12.5* Draw w/ Project X Even Flow White T1100 75S

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 818 H1 16* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 90S

Irons: :titelist-small: 718 T-MB (3); :titelist-small: 716 AP2 (5-PW)

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX4 52/58; :cleveland-small: Full-face 64

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Hollywood / :cleveland-small: SOFT 11

Ball: :srixon-small:

Instagram: @thatgolfguyrob

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Level 4 SuperSpeed this morning (and still...damn that's a lot of swings), followed by a B1 workout.  Again, I'm upping the weight and lowering the reps, so a little bit of this is feeling out where I should be weight-wise.

Med Ball Wall Slams - 10 pounds, 3 X 5

Barbell Curls - 110, reps at 8, 3

Hammer Curls - 60s, reps at 7, 3

Twisting Box Jumps - 3 x 5

Leg Press Machine Calves - 260, 8

Single-Leg Deadlifts - 65s, 2 x 8

Leg Press - 700, 2 x 8

Standing Cable Anti-Rotations - 50, 3 x 10

Honestly, on the leg press I will probably go heavier the next time around...I was trying to do some really explosive/fast reps, but I know I had more in me with each set.  For the single-leg deads, 65 pound dumbbells was too much.  The exercise has great potential benefit from a stability & balance standpoint, but not if you're going too heavy to the point that you struggle with your form like I was this morning...probably down to 60s the next time around.

  • Like 1

Driver:  :honma:TR20 460, Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW:  :tour-edge: CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 65g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3 & 4H, Mitsubishi MMT 80g Stiff

Iron: :mizuno-small:JPX 919 Forged 5-GW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM8 54 S Grind bent to 55, 60 M Grind bent to 59, Aerotech Steelfiber i110 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot OG Double Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1X

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No workout today and hopping off the calorie counting today as well.  10 year anniversary...slept in, gonna splurge, champagne and the whole nine...

  • Like 3

Driver:  :honma:TR20 460, Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW:  :tour-edge: CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 65g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3 & 4H, Mitsubishi MMT 80g Stiff

Iron: :mizuno-small:JPX 919 Forged 5-GW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM8 54 S Grind bent to 55, 60 M Grind bent to 59, Aerotech Steelfiber i110 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot OG Double Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1X

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Getoffmylawn said:

No workout today and hopping off the calorie counting today as well.  10 year anniversary...slept in, gonna splurge, champagne and the whole nine...

Happy anniversary! Nothing wrong with taking a day off - definitely helps with the mental aspect too!

  • Like 2

Driver: :callaway-small: XR16 LD 7* w/ House of Forged Jamie Sadlowski S

3Wood: :cobra-small: F9 Speedback Tour 12.5* Draw w/ Project X Even Flow White T1100 75S

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 818 H1 16* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 90S

Irons: :titelist-small: 718 T-MB (3); :titelist-small: 716 AP2 (5-PW)

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX4 52/58; :cleveland-small: Full-face 64

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Hollywood / :cleveland-small: SOFT 11

Ball: :srixon-small:

Instagram: @thatgolfguyrob

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

No workout today and hopping off the calorie counting today as well.  10 year anniversary...slept in, gonna splurge, champagne and the whole nine...

Congrats on the anniversary. Hope its a good one!

  • Like 2

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9°  Project X HZRDUS Black HAND-CRAFTED Wood Shaft - Spargo Golf Smoke Black 70g 6.5 (2021 Official Review)

 :callaway-small: Epic Speed 15°  Project X HZRDUS Black HAND-CRAFTED Wood Shaft - Spargo Golf Smoke iM10 60g  6.0 | :callaway-small: Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70 g 6.0

:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 Stiff | :mizuno-small: JPX 919 HM Pro  5 - PW  :Fuji:  Pro Tour Spec 115i Stiff

:Hogan: Equalizer 52° / 56°  KBS Tour V 110 Stiff | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0

:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another workout of trying to discover the appropriate weights to work with given intent to work at a lower rep range now.  SuperSpeed Level 4 session, followed by:

Med Ball Wall Slams - 10 pound ball, 3 x 5

Preacher Curls - 135, reps at 6, 1

Reverse-Grip EZ Curl - 115, reps at 6, 2

Box Jumps - 3 X 6

Standing Cable Anti-Rotations - 50, 3 x 10

Seated Calf Raise - 120, 9

Lying Leg Curl - 150, 8, 2

Squats - 315, 2 x 8

Honestly, I can probably go heavier with squats but as I've discussed before, I find the exercise intimidating enough that I'm in "proceed with caution" mode.

  • Like 1

Driver:  :honma:TR20 460, Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW:  :tour-edge: CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 65g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3 & 4H, Mitsubishi MMT 80g Stiff

Iron: :mizuno-small:JPX 919 Forged 5-GW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM8 54 S Grind bent to 55, 60 M Grind bent to 59, Aerotech Steelfiber i110 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot OG Double Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1X

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/4/2021 at 10:20 AM, BMart519 said:

I  made my own sticks, but stopped at the light and heavy. I see minimal need for the middle stick, so that reduces my reps by 33%. During my Protocol 4 session yesterday that resulted in 3 swings with 2 sticks at 6 reps per side = 72 swings plus 3 max out at the end. You could probably knock that down to 4 or 5 reps with the same benefit to reduce down to 48 or 60 total. 90+ swings at full speed is like 5 rounds worth of tee shots or at least 2 rounds worth of full swings, which seems like overkill. 

I have continued left hand swings, my technique is terrible and I get a lot of no-reads which is discouraging. I only do SS 1X week, so I plan on continuing both sides. The new material from Fit For Golf with 1 arm swings using the light stick has me intrigued. If I incorporate these, I am likely to drop non-dominant swings to keep the reps down or cut the reps in half.  

Thought of you and @edingcwhen I saw this blog post from Mike Carroll...I suspect you've already seen it but here's the link to his blog post concerning SuperSpeed sticks:

Speed Sticks - Tour Data & How I Use Them (fitforgolf.blog)

I was a bit disappointed that he didn't dive in to his obvious concerns about the volume of the "standard" SuperSpeed protocols, but I did find it interesting that he opined the non-dominant swings as being of little value.  That kind of flies in the face of the balance/symmetry argument.

  • Like 2

Driver:  :honma:TR20 460, Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW:  :tour-edge: CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 65g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3 & 4H, Mitsubishi MMT 80g Stiff

Iron: :mizuno-small:JPX 919 Forged 5-GW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM8 54 S Grind bent to 55, 60 M Grind bent to 59, Aerotech Steelfiber i110 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot OG Double Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1X

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Thought of you and @edingcwhen I saw this blog post from Mike Carroll...I suspect you've already seen it but here's the link to his blog post concerning SuperSpeed sticks:

Speed Sticks - Tour Data & How I Use Them (fitforgolf.blog)

I was a bit disappointed that he didn't dive in to his obvious concerns about the volume of the "standard" SuperSpeed protocols, but I did find it interesting that he opined the non-dominant swings as being of little value.  That kind of flies in the face of the balance/symmetry argument.

I read the post yesterday and gleaned a few bits of new stuff I found interesting, and it reaffirmed some of what I've discovered this fall on my own:

  • Less volume isn't necessarily bad.
  • Non-dominant swings aren't really that important.
  • Change up the program to fix weak spots.

Because of the increase in weight in my 5/3/1 sets and the number of swings I take on weekends, I've basically dropped down to doing SuperSpeed twice a week and only about 5 regular swings of each club, or 5-10 counterweighted swings total.

One of the things I pulled from Mike's post was his encouragement to focus on the weakest sticks (for me, red and blue) and maybe skip the green sticks for a few sessions. Something I might try as my green stick swings tend to peak in the upper 130s, while the blue and red lag very far behind that.

Mike also released a new "Speed Series" to his app subscribers, and I plan on doing that twice a week now as well.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 6.4 / Anti-Cap: 12.1 (Last Updated Oct. 2, 2022)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Epic Max LS (9°), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Club Champion Fitting
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
21° Hybrid: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Epic Flash, 40", Mitsubishi Kuro Kage Silver 80X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", UST Mamiya Recoil 110 F5
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: :CaddyTek: CaddyTek Caddylite EZ V8 | Unofficial Review

Currently Testing: Edel SMS Wedges
WITB? | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, edingc said:

I read the post yesterday and gleaned a few bits of new stuff I found interesting, and it reaffirmed some of what I've discovered this fall on my own:

  • Less volume isn't necessarily bad.
  • Non-dominant swings aren't really that important.
  • Change up the program to fix weak spots.

Because of the increase in weight in my 5/3/1 sets and the number of swings I take on weekends, I've basically dropped down to doing SuperSpeed twice a week and only about 5 regular swings of each club, or 5-10 counterweighted swings total.

One of the things I pulled from Mike's post was his encouragement to focus on the weakest sticks (for me, red and blue) and maybe skip the green sticks for a few sessions. Something I might try as my green stick swings tend to peak in the upper 130s, while the blue and red lag very far behind that.

Mike also released a new "Speed Series" to his app subscribers, and I plan on doing that twice a week now as well.

Interesting.  I'm no coach, but are you sure cutting out the green sticks is the way to go?  The standard SuperSpeed protocol videos seem to really put an emphasis on the green stick swings, especially the finishing ones...that's when you should be swinging your fastest and effecting the most "brain re-programming" for lack of a better term.

Just food for thought.  It's really curious to me to see these little wrinkles of disparity between the SuperSpeed prescribed uses and the inputs from coaches like Mike,

  • Like 1

Driver:  :honma:TR20 460, Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW:  :tour-edge: CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 65g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3 & 4H, Mitsubishi MMT 80g Stiff

Iron: :mizuno-small:JPX 919 Forged 5-GW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM8 54 S Grind bent to 55, 60 M Grind bent to 59, Aerotech Steelfiber i110 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot OG Double Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1X

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Interesting.  I'm no coach, but are you sure cutting out the green sticks is the way to go?  The standard SuperSpeed protocol videos seem to really put an emphasis on the green stick swings, especially the finishing ones...that's when you should be swinging your fastest and effecting the most "brain re-programming" for lack of a better term.

Just food for thought.  It's really curious to me to see these little wrinkles of disparity between the SuperSpeed prescribed uses and the inputs from coaches like Mike,

You're not wrong - I re-read the post and I misread a bit. He doesn't say drop the green sticks but rather focus on more sets of the red or blue sticks than the green. 

Maybe I'll try doubling my sets of blue/red while keeping a set of green at the beginning and end.

  • Like 1

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 6.4 / Anti-Cap: 12.1 (Last Updated Oct. 2, 2022)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Epic Max LS (9°), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Club Champion Fitting
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
21° Hybrid: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Epic Flash, 40", Mitsubishi Kuro Kage Silver 80X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", UST Mamiya Recoil 110 F5
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: :CaddyTek: CaddyTek Caddylite EZ V8 | Unofficial Review

Currently Testing: Edel SMS Wedges
WITB? | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

SuperSpeed Level 4 is kicking my butt, to the point that I'm honestly wondering about overtraining.  Just seems like a lot of reps.  I had a chance to get on a FlightScope yesterday and bang out some short irons (and I was very pleased with how I was hitting it), but I felt gassed before I even started the protocol today.

Anyway, hit the gym and again tried to up the weight where I could:

Med Ball Slams - 10 pound ball, 3 x 5

Dumbbell Bench Press - 95s, reps at 6, 1

Machine Shoulder Press - 150, reps at 7, 1

Machine Dip - 250, reps at 11, 3  (Lowered the seat on this for more ROM and found I should have been there all along)

Machine Pulldown - 190, reps at 6, 1

Cable Rows - 190, reps at 8, 3

Standing Cable Internal Rotations - 20, 3 x 10

Standing External Rotations - 20, 3 x 10

I know, lots of machines this workout.  Again, especially after the heavy dumbbell sets I try to give the joints a bit of a break for a workout. 

Driver:  :honma:TR20 460, Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW:  :tour-edge: CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 65g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3 & 4H, Mitsubishi MMT 80g Stiff

Iron: :mizuno-small:JPX 919 Forged 5-GW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM8 54 S Grind bent to 55, 60 M Grind bent to 59, Aerotech Steelfiber i110 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot OG Double Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1X

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/11/2021 at 9:34 AM, Getoffmylawn said:

Another workout of trying to discover the appropriate weights to work with given intent to work at a lower rep range now.  SuperSpeed Level 4 session, followed by:

Med Ball Wall Slams - 10 pound ball, 3 x 5

Preacher Curls - 135, reps at 6, 1

Reverse-Grip EZ Curl - 115, reps at 6, 2

Box Jumps - 3 X 6

Standing Cable Anti-Rotations - 50, 3 x 10

Seated Calf Raise - 120, 9

Lying Leg Curl - 150, 8, 2

Squats - 315, 2 x 8

Honestly, I can probably go heavier with squats but as I've discussed before, I find the exercise intimidating enough that I'm in "proceed with caution" mode.

315x8 is solid and if you are hitting that for multiple sets with something in the tank after each set going up shouldn’t be a concern. 

  • Like 1

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Solid workout! Regarding the overtraining, how much sleep/food are you getting? Could just be an off day, or there could be outside factors. I'd see how you feel for the next couple workouts and adjust accordingly.

On a side note, how are you liking the ball slams? I don't have access to any, but I've taken some ideas from Fit for Golf and Bill Miller to try and mimic the movement and I'm really liking it so far.

  • Like 1

Driver: :callaway-small: XR16 LD 7* w/ House of Forged Jamie Sadlowski S

3Wood: :cobra-small: F9 Speedback Tour 12.5* Draw w/ Project X Even Flow White T1100 75S

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 818 H1 16* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 90S

Irons: :titelist-small: 718 T-MB (3); :titelist-small: 716 AP2 (5-PW)

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX4 52/58; :cleveland-small: Full-face 64

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Hollywood / :cleveland-small: SOFT 11

Ball: :srixon-small:

Instagram: @thatgolfguyrob

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, thatgolfguyrob said:

Solid workout! Regarding the overtraining, how much sleep/food are you getting? Could just be an off day, or there could be outside factors. I'd see how you feel for the next couple workouts and adjust accordingly.

On a side note, how are you liking the ball slams? I don't have access to any, but I've taken some ideas from Fit for Golf and Bill Miller to try and mimic the movement and I'm really liking it so far.

Some very good questions.  Actually, last night was a rough one.  Ended up staying up much later than I wanted to yet still got up at 4, so I was only running on 4 hours.  As for diet, since putting on the 15 pounds I wanted to I've moved down to a maintenance calorie level of 2700, which is consistent with my TDEE.  But, it's very high protein and lower carb, with an intent to do some "body re-composition" to add some muscle but shed some fat, gradually.  So, low carbs and low sleep probably didn't help...good point I hadn't thought of.

Ball slams...I'm warming up to them.  In this COVID environment the gym I go to put away the more traditional leather-bound ball, so the only one available is the hard rubber style.  So, I get the awkward feeling of a lot of eyes pointed my way when I start slamming that thing everywhere!  Also, I'm doing a couple different varieties but I'm not sure how to properly "title" the movement in this thread so I'm just going with the generic description.  But, I like them, I can see the potential for power & speed development simply because of the ballistic nature of the exercise.

  • Like 1

Driver:  :honma:TR20 460, Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW:  :tour-edge: CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 65g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3 & 4H, Mitsubishi MMT 80g Stiff

Iron: :mizuno-small:JPX 919 Forged 5-GW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM8 54 S Grind bent to 55, 60 M Grind bent to 59, Aerotech Steelfiber i110 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot OG Double Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1X

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/11/2021 at 8:45 AM, edingc said:

You're not wrong - I re-read the post and I misread a bit. He doesn't say drop the green sticks but rather focus on more sets of the red or blue sticks than the green. 

Maybe I'll try doubling my sets of blue/red while keeping a set of green at the beginning and end.

In my opinion, the Blue or middle stick is of least importance as its closest to golf club weight which is why I never bothered building one for my set. The green (light) stick is the whole purpose of overspeed training. There are lots of products on the market like the heavy club with extra weight, whether it be other sticks, Orange Whip, weighted clubs, etc. The entire premise of overspeed is to move faster than before, I would be hesitant to reduce emphasis on this portion. 

  • Like 2

:cobra-small: F9 Driver 9*

:cobra-small: Baffler hybrids some combo of 2H-5H

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

:ping-small: G700 4i, Glide 2.0 54, 58*

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Some very good questions.  Actually, last night was a rough one.  Ended up staying up much later than I wanted to yet still got up at 4, so I was only running on 4 hours.  As for diet, since putting on the 15 pounds I wanted to I've moved down to a maintenance calorie level of 2700, which is consistent with my TDEE.  But, it's very high protein and lower carb, with an intent to do some "body re-composition" to add some muscle but shed some fat, gradually.  So, low carbs and low sleep probably didn't help...good point I hadn't thought of.

Ball slams...I'm warming up to them.  In this COVID environment the gym I go to put away the more traditional leather-bound ball, so the only one available is the hard rubber style.  So, I get the awkward feeling of a lot of eyes pointed my way when I start slamming that thing everywhere!  Also, I'm doing a couple different varieties but I'm not sure how to properly "title" the movement in this thread so I'm just going with the generic description.  But, I like them, I can see the potential for power & speed development simply because of the ballistic nature of the exercise.

Thanks for the answer! My training is pretty similar, where I end up putting a generic description, but I've found similar movements to the slams and am liking those so far. Interested to see how it carries over.

  • Like 1

Driver: :callaway-small: XR16 LD 7* w/ House of Forged Jamie Sadlowski S

3Wood: :cobra-small: F9 Speedback Tour 12.5* Draw w/ Project X Even Flow White T1100 75S

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 818 H1 16* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 90S

Irons: :titelist-small: 718 T-MB (3); :titelist-small: 716 AP2 (5-PW)

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX4 52/58; :cleveland-small: Full-face 64

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Hollywood / :cleveland-small: SOFT 11

Ball: :srixon-small:

Instagram: @thatgolfguyrob

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So we're in the middle of a blizzard right now so I wasn't able to get to the gym today. Just 4 inches of snow but winds at 50 mph, or to this group a 5-club wind. 😂

I still got the truck out of the garage (despite the "you're crazy" looks from the wife) and knocked out SuperSpeed Level 4, then resorted to my home gym equipment for what turned out to be a solid workout.

Med Ball Slams - 25 pound ball, 3 x 5  (Probably too heavy a ball for the "move fast" intent of this exercise, but I had to work with what I had)

Dumbbell Curls - 60s, reps at 6, 2

Pinwheel Curls - 50s, reps at 9, 3

Bulgarian Squats w/Jump - 40s, 2 x 6 (I could go heavier but seeing as this was the first time I'm adding the jump into each rep I wanted to start with a weight I was sure was safe)

Calf Raises- 90s, reps on the staircase to burnout...hey, it's a home workout...

Stiff-Legged Deadlift - 90s, 2 x 18  (Again, could go heavier but it's home gym...)

Standing Anti-Rotation - Green Fitness Band, 3 x 18

 

  • Like 1

Driver:  :honma:TR20 460, Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW:  :tour-edge: CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 65g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3 & 4H, Mitsubishi MMT 80g Stiff

Iron: :mizuno-small:JPX 919 Forged 5-GW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM8 54 S Grind bent to 55, 60 M Grind bent to 59, Aerotech Steelfiber i110 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot OG Double Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1X

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Got back at it and had a very good workout this morning.  I’m getting stronger even though I’m strictly in maintenance calorie mode.

SuperSpeed Level 4, then:

Med Ball Chest Slams - 10 pound ball, 3x5

Dumbbell Inclines - 85s, reps at 7, 1

Kneeling Landmine Shoulder Press - 45, reps at 11, 3

Cable Pressdown - 200, reps at 11, 5

Close-Grip Chins - 12, 3

Trap Bar Deadlifts - 400, 2 x 5

Box Jumps - 3 x 6

Standing Cable Internal Rotations - 20, 3 x 12

Standing Cable External Rotations - 20, 3 x 12

I’m still a little frustrated on the deadlift in that my grip is failing me before anything else, but a sixth rep per set is close.  Then, 420 baby!

  • Like 1

Driver:  :honma:TR20 460, Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW:  :tour-edge: CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 65g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3 & 4H, Mitsubishi MMT 80g Stiff

Iron: :mizuno-small:JPX 919 Forged 5-GW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM8 54 S Grind bent to 55, 60 M Grind bent to 59, Aerotech Steelfiber i110 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot OG Double Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1X

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Getoffmylawn changed the title to Getoffmylawn's Need for Speed, AND LOWER SCORES!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...