Getoffmylawn's Need for Speed, AND LOWER SCORES!

23 hours ago, edingc said:

IIRC, you bought the Force Pedals, too. Have you used them? My limited use of a tennis ball cut in half has seemingly done wonders for my pivot and staying more centered throughout the swing.

Yeah, I did pick those up, and I think they’re helping but I’m not ready to definitively say they’ve helped yet…feel not always being real and all.  I’ll see when I get some numbers at a January/February lesson.

• Like 1

Driver:  :honma:TR20 460, Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW:  :tour-edge: CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 65g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3 & 4H, Mitsubishi MMT 80g Stiff

Iron: :mizuno-small:JPX 919 Forged 5-GW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM8 54 S Grind bent to 55, 60 M Grind bent to 59, Aerotech Steelfiber i110 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot OG Double Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1X

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!

• 5 weeks later...

So I'm doing a little panicking/freaking out right now.  I have a shoulder injury that could potentially sideline me for the season.

Long story short, Thanksgiving week I was snowboarding at Keystone, took a fall, and my left shoulder felt a little stiff for the next day or two after.  I didn't think anything of it, went back to my gym routine the following week, and noticed the same stiffness but no loss of strength or range of motion. After about a month in the gym, I took a week off to go on another road trip with the family.

When I got back to the gym, something wasn't right.  Pressing movements hurt, and I normally do cable external and internal rotations with 15 pounds on the stack, largely to build strong and healthy rotator cuffs.  I could barely do 5 with my left arm, and as I type this I have a persistent ache and some odd range of motion issues...I can move it in every direction but some angles come with some pain.  And, if I stretch it out (arm across the chest, pulling the arm into me with the other arm) I get about 3-4 pops and clicks from the shoulder.

If I have rotator cuff tendinitis, that's about a month of rest and that will drive me crazy, but I can be a big boy and deal with it.  If it's a tear, I could be staring at a surgery that will cancel my golf season.

I've been icing the hell out of it and I'm finding a little less pain as I explore the range of motion, so hopefully it's just inflamed and I'm slowly bringing that inflammation down.  I'm going to see the doctor on Tuesday, and I would think that will lead to an X-Ray or (hopefully) MRI....really really hoping to not lose an entire season.  Prior to this my speed and weight training was really paying off.  I hit new SuperSpeed PRs (145 C Club, 139 green) and really feel like I can have a great year.

We'll see.  Fingers crossed.

• Like 4

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM8 54 S Grind bent to 55, 60 M Grind bent to 59, Aerotech Steelfiber i110 Stiff

On 1/16/2022 at 11:17 AM, Getoffmylawn said:

So I'm doing a little panicking/freaking out right now.  I have a shoulder injury that could potentially sideline me for the season.

Long story short, Thanksgiving week I was snowboarding at Keystone, took a fall, and my left shoulder felt a little stiff for the next day or two after.  I didn't think anything of it, went back to my gym routine the following week, and noticed the same stiffness but no loss of strength or range of motion. After about a month in the gym, I took a week off to go on another road trip with the family.

When I got back to the gym, something wasn't right.  Pressing movements hurt, and I normally do cable external and internal rotations with 15 pounds on the stack, largely to build strong and healthy rotator cuffs.  I could barely do 5 with my left arm, and as I type this I have a persistent ache and some odd range of motion issues...I can move it in every direction but some angles come with some pain.  And, if I stretch it out (arm across the chest, pulling the arm into me with the other arm) I get about 3-4 pops and clicks from the shoulder.

If I have rotator cuff tendinitis, that's about a month of rest and that will drive me crazy, but I can be a big boy and deal with it.  If it's a tear, I could be staring at a surgery that will cancel my golf season.

I've been icing the hell out of it and I'm finding a little less pain as I explore the range of motion, so hopefully it's just inflamed and I'm slowly bringing that inflammation down.  I'm going to see the doctor on Tuesday, and I would think that will lead to an X-Ray or (hopefully) MRI....really really hoping to not lose an entire season.  Prior to this my speed and weight training was really paying off.  I hit new SuperSpeed PRs (145 C Club, 139 green) and really feel like I can have a great year.

We'll see.  Fingers crossed.

US and Canadian medical systems are quite different but you are a number of steps away from surgery being suggested. The only time surgery and diagnostic imaging was brought up for my shoulder was when the pain was affecting my ability to sleep. Tears are commonly managed by strengthening the area unless: they are severe and impacting quality of life or can no longer complete job function (anything from manual laborer to pro athlete). ***Unless you have top of line medical coverage or willing to foot the bill out of pocket and push for a surgery. 

Sounds similar to my situation where pressing anything over 150 lbs causes discomfort and certain angles are a no-go. Also primarily due to awkward snowboarding falls on my elbows and shoulders. 

• Like 1

:cobra-small: F9 Driver 9*

:cobra-small: Baffler hybrids some combo of 2H-5H

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

:ping-small: G700 4i, Glide 2.0 54, 58*

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

I was in dire straights with my left shoulder as well, not a cool story like your snowboarding injury but I had surgery.  In hindsight I wish I would have done more PT first.  I had a 18 month recovery, and I’m still not right.  Rest has done wonders for my elbow.  I wish you nothing but the best on your recovery road.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BMart519 said:

US and Canadian medical systems are quite different but you are a number of steps away from surgery being suggested. The only time surgery and diagnostic imaging was brought up for my shoulder was when the pain was affecting my ability to sleep. Tears are commonly managed by strengthening the area unless: they are severe and impacting quality of life or can no longer complete job function (anything from manual laborer to pro athlete). ***Unless you have top of line medical coverage or willing to foot the bill out of pocket and push for a surgery. 

Sounds similar to my situation where pressing anything over 150 lbs causes discomfort and certain angles are a no-go. Also primarily due to awkward snowboarding falls on my elbows and shoulders. 

Thanks.  I’m a bit surprised to have this problem; I’ve been doing cable external and internal rotations enough that I would have expected to have some strong rotator cuffs.

Since my last post I’ve been icing aggressively and I’m cautiously optimistic I’m going to get a tendinitis diagnosis.  That I can deal with; definitely don’t want surgery.  I actually still did my SuperSpeed workout and sprints this morning, and baby weights at high reps for chest and back…I would think I couldn’t really do that with a tear…?

16 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Thanks.  I’m a bit surprised to have this problem; I’ve been doing cable external and internal rotations enough that I would have expected to have some strong rotator cuffs.

Since my last post I’ve been icing aggressively and I’m cautiously optimistic I’m going to get a tendinitis diagnosis.  That I can deal with; definitely don’t want surgery.  I actually still did my SuperSpeed workout and sprints this morning, and baby weights at high reps for chest and back…I would think I couldn’t really do that with a tear…?

Feedback from my physio is I likely have some degree of SLAP tear in my shoulder. Speed training doesn't really aggravate it. The biggest issue is pressing near 3-5 rep max or high volume push ups. Rows and back exercises have no effect. Lifting weights helps reinforce the surrounding muscles to support the joint. If left alone, the lack of exercise allows slack in the ball and socket joint which increases discomfort as it "grinds" over the area with tears. 

My worst snowboarding fall resulted in not being able to lift my arm above shoulder height for a few weeks if I remember correctly. Which is more severe than what you describe. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BMart519 said:

Feedback from my physio is I likely have some degree of SLAP tear in my shoulder. Speed training doesn't really aggravate it. The biggest issue is pressing near 3-5 rep max or high volume push ups. Rows and back exercises have no effect. Lifting weights helps reinforce the surrounding muscles to support the joint. If left alone, the lack of exercise allows slack in the ball and socket joint which increases discomfort as it "grinds" over the area with tears. 

My worst snowboarding fall resulted in not being able to lift my arm above shoulder height for a few weeks if I remember correctly. Which is more severe than what you describe. 

Yeah, I just got back and the doctor was confident I'm just dealing with tendonitis...possibly a small tear but the treatment will be the same.  Ice, ibuprofen, and I'm being referred to a physical therapist.  I was even told I can continue to lift, but basically stop if it hurts and go for a lighter weight higher rep scheme for a bit.

Feeling VERY relieved to avoid something more serious; didn't want to miss out on the upcoming season.

• Like 3

Sitting here with an ice pack on my shoulder and I thought I'd go ahead and provide an update on my speed and lower scores pursuits.

Lower scores?  We'll see when the snow melts.  Last year I set two personal bests but lost my way and ended up fighting blocks for the last 3-4 weeks of the season.  Having taken a few lessons that I believe have identified the fix, I'm getting extremely excited to attack the course next year.  Newfound (and hopefully still climbing) speed, a lot of offseason putting practice, DECADE Foundations, and even some pretty consistent meditation practice, and I'm confident I'm primed for a good year.  

As for the workout regimen, here's last week's workout in all it's glorious (or boring) detail:

Monday

SuperSpeed Level 3

4 sets, 40M Weighted Sleds at 520 pounds followed by 3 minutes rest, then 40M sprints

3 sets, 4 reps of Trap Bar Deadlifts at 330 pounds, 3 minutes rest, then 5 reps of Medicine Ball Overhead Slams w/8 lb ball

3 sets, 3 reps of Incline Dumbbell Presses w/90s, 3 minutes rest, then 5 Plyo Push-ups

Wednesday

SuperSpeed Level 3, C Club

Hypertrophy workout...Shoulders, Triceps, Biceps, Forearms, Calves...hitting all the beach muscles that more golf-focused power workouts on Monday and Friday don't hit.  I do a lot of cable internal and external rotations to strengthen the rotator cuff, ironically enough.

Friday

3 sets, Squats at 365 pounds paired followed by 3 minutes rest, then 5 box jumps

3 sets, 5 reps of Lat Pulldowns at 200 pounds followed by 3 minutes rest, then 5 Medicine Ball Overhead Slams w/8 lb ball

3 sets, 5 reps of Hammer Strength Wide Chest at 270 pounds followed by 3 minutes rest, then 5 Medicine Ball Wall Slams

Abs are a MWF undertaking which I won't bore everyone with further here.

The speed gains are coming, slowly but surely...I'll post a progress update specific to speed shortly.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update: my rotator cuff tendinitis isn’t getting better, or worse.  I went to my first physical therapy session today and was told to stop icing because I was only delaying the healing process. I was also given some exercises to do, and had my first dry needling experience today too.  It honestly feels improved already, but we’ll see if that holds up.

On another note, I highly recommend checking out the latest Fit for Golf podcast with Sasho McKenzie as the guest.  A bit of a technical discussion, but the conversation concerning wrist angles was really interesting.  According to Sasho, wrist angles and the ability to transfer power ti the club through the wrist joint is the single greatest contributor to clubhead speed, NOT ground reaction forces.  Passive hands and wrist angles will definitely be a speed training focus for me going forward.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

According to Sasho, wrist angles and the ability to transfer power ti the club through the wrist joint is the single greatest contributor to clubhead speed, NOT ground reaction forces.  Passive hands and wrist angles will definitely be a speed training focus for me going forward.

Watch videos from most instructors and they will tell you that proper wrist movement is key. If the wrists aren’t moving right the club and thus the club face aren’t going to be out of position and it’s going to be nothing but compensation in the swing causing inefficient body movement. 

Monte talks about wrists as well as the hips.

Mike Adams says if you want to walk faster swing the arms faster and the same applies in golf. 

• Like 2

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

• 4 weeks later...

So, after much deliberation, penny pinching, and a little bit of spouse fear, I took the plunge and bought the Stack System.

From the beginning of January through mid-February I'd been plugging along on the revised/new SuperSpeed protocols, with Wednesday being the SuperSpeed C protocols.

Monday & Friday Level 3 progress looks like this:

1980975200_Level3SuperSpeed.jpg.79b72ba54ad098e693d2ff044206342b.jpg

While there is a discernible but slow uptick in the trendline, overall part of the reason for going to the Stack was the impression of a bit a training plateau.  My peak Max Out speed with the green stick was 134, 3 mph slower than level 2, and at the start of this protocol I maxed out at 128...my past workout with this protocol I maxed out at 129.  Granted, energy levels will vary and the overall trendline is more important.  And, my shoulder issues aren't helping.  But, I generally felt like I would do well with a change.

Kind of a similar story with the C Club:

184184388_Level3CSuperSpeed.jpg.63053f414288400d2958b6e8bd1203d9.jpg

I hit 140 a couple times with the C Club, but that's 4 mph off of my Level 2 peak, and again, the trendline is increasing slightly but not quite as aggressively as I'd like.

Overall, I'm not knocking SuperSpeed.  As compared to my starting speeds way back at Level 1, I've seen a 16-17 mph jump across the green, red, and blue sticks.  But, there's a lot about the Stack System that appeals to me, namely the adaptive AI and the tailored vs one-size-fits all training plan.  I intend to post a more in-depth comparison/unofficial review in the future once I have more experience with the Stack.

So, I'm off and running on a new training plan!  I like where I'm starting off so far:

1776027892_StackScreenshot.png.cc52caea51dcdf5284d18070d0a83aca.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

So, after much deliberation, penny pinching, and a little bit of spouse fear, I took the plunge and bought the Stack System.

From the beginning of January through mid-February I'd been plugging along on the revised/new SuperSpeed protocols, with Wednesday being the SuperSpeed C protocols.

Monday & Friday Level 3 progress looks like this:

1980975200_Level3SuperSpeed.jpg.79b72ba54ad098e693d2ff044206342b.jpg

While there is a discernible but slow uptick in the trendline, overall part of the reason for going to the Stack was the impression of a bit a training plateau.  My peak Max Out speed with the green stick was 134, 3 mph slower than level 2, and at the start of this protocol I maxed out at 128...my past workout with this protocol I maxed out at 129.  Granted, energy levels will vary and the overall trendline is more important.  And, my shoulder issues aren't helping.  But, I generally felt like I would do well with a change.

Kind of a similar story with the C Club:

184184388_Level3CSuperSpeed.jpg.63053f414288400d2958b6e8bd1203d9.jpg

I hit 140 a couple times with the C Club, but that's 4 mph off of my Level 2 peak, and again, the trendline is increasing slightly but not quite as aggressively as I'd like.

Overall, I'm not knocking SuperSpeed.  As compared to my starting speeds way back at Level 1, I've seen a 16-17 mph jump across the green, red, and blue sticks.  But, there's a lot about the Stack System that appeals to me, namely the adaptive AI and the tailored vs one-size-fits all training plan.  I intend to post a more in-depth comparison/unofficial review in the future once I have more experience with the Stack.

So, I'm off and running on a new training plan!  I like where I'm starting off so far:

1776027892_StackScreenshot.png.cc52caea51dcdf5284d18070d0a83aca.png

I'm rooting for you to break through your plateau. When it happens, I'll be that much closer to pulling the trigger on the Stack System.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 5.7 / Anti-Cap: 10.3 (Last Updated August 11, 2022)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Epic Max LS (9°), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Club Champion Fitting
17° Hybrid:
callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Super Hybrid, 41.5", Mitsubishi MMT Hybrid 80 TX
21° Hybrid: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Epic Flash, 40", Mitsubishi MMT Hybrid 80 TX
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", UST Mamiya Recoil 110 F5
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: :CaddyTek: CaddyTek Caddylite EZ V8 | Unofficial Review

Currently Testing: Edel SMS Wedges
WITB? | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

• 1 month later...

It's been a long time since I've posted here, but rest assured, I'm still plugging away in the gym.

The left shoulder rotator cuff continues to be a lingering issue.  I am healing, but EXTREMELY slowly, largely because I haven't completely shut it down for an extended stretch.  I keep lifting, carefully picking exercises and using ranges of motion that wont impact it.  It is going to impact my golf swing though...I've found with my range sessions and occasional winter rounds that it takes a LOT more effort to get the ball to draw, and a chicken wing occasionally creeps in that I am working really hard on getting out of my action.  According to TPI, chicken wings can come from...wait for it...external rotation problems with the lead shoulder, which is definitely the range of motion I struggle with. 

So, I am resigning to the fact that I am very likely to play a cut for the year, and maybe that's a good thing for me...we'll see.

Oh, and I'm VERY happy with The Stack System...more on that soon...

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

It's been a long time since I've posted here, but rest assured, I'm still plugging away in the gym.

The left shoulder rotator cuff continues to be a lingering issue.  I am healing, but EXTREMELY slowly, largely because I haven't completely shut it down for an extended stretch.  I keep lifting, carefully picking exercises and using ranges of motion that wont impact it.  It is going to impact my golf swing though...I've found with my range sessions and occasional winter rounds that it takes a LOT more effort to get the ball to draw, and a chicken wing occasionally creeps in that I am working really hard on getting out of my action.  According to TPI, chicken wings can come from...wait for it...external rotation problems with the lead shoulder, which is definitely the range of motion I struggle with. 

So, I am resigning to the fact that I am very likely to play a cut for the year, and maybe that's a good thing for me...we'll see.

Oh, and I'm VERY happy with The Stack System...more on that soon...

Having torn my right rotator cuff once and my left twice I can tell you DON'T LIFT for at least a year. I went through physical therapy once and learned all the exercises to do. I self fixed the other two. You have to let it heal and then break down the scar tissue by stretching routines. I never went for the surgeries. My dad had the surgeries on his and they didn't go well. He lost range of motion and strength. I built a pulley system that hung over the top of a door. A basic rope through the pulley with a handle on each end. Sit in a chair with the back against the door and pull down one handle to raise the injured shoulder / arm. Pull down and hold for a 10 count. Repeat 10 times, twice a day to increase range of  motion over time.  My shoulders are almost back to full range of motion. But I don't lift anything real heavy anymore to be safe. 

• Like 1

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi1 10* Stiff Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: 939x 5 hybrid

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (6 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

I plan to add more detail in another thread, but let me just say I’m pretty happy with my Stack purchase…

240A50F8-BBA4-4332-AA06-3D057F486A5D.png.1786c8a5a5cd5e26309af9a5197b6f59.png

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Speed, gone.  But, Round 2 of my pursuits approaches.

This season has been a difficult one from a golf perspective.  From a slew of family emergencies, a move from Omaha to Carlisle PA that’s not yet complete, and a myriad of road trips, vacations, and Lord knows what else, I’ve had almost zero practice in 2 months and sporadic rounds here or there.  I haven’t touched the Stack in 6 weeks, or been inside a weight room for that long, and I’ve probably gained an easy 10 pounds of the wrong kind of weight just from eating on the go and no workouts.

But, there is light at the end of this tunnel.  We get our rental house on Monday and our household goods delivered later in the week, then class (Army War College) starts 1 Aug…I’ll finally be back in a routine.  

This Monday, I’ll also do a baseline Stack session and restart the training…hoping the speed comes back a bit, and soon.  And, come Wednesday I can get back into a weight training routine, and start eating healthy once again.

Long-winded post, but as I haven’t posted here in a while I thought I’d share the state of my game and where I go from here.  

More to follow; I plan to get back to far more frequent posts here…

• Like 3

The fall off in speed is as bad as I feared.

Re-baselined with the Stack this morning:

48922849-30C1-4A45-BD84-6AC53A17A0E7.png.399e9f726de500dd00346f45f5f7ca35.png

I am cautiously optimistic that some speed will come back quickly; kinda hoping my body goes “oh, we’re doing this again…okay!”  I’m sure I can also expect some gains from a better diet, more sleep, and (finally) a return to the gym.  More on the weight training plans shortly.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

As I hoped, some speed seems to slowly be creeping back in.  I’m certainly not where I was, but the glimmers of hope are motivating for sure…

6C08AB7A-56A1-4C24-87CA-EA25A715A612.png.7216e37ff46796aeda85c3dd248ed197.png
C9953634-43CF-4001-B12A-75EC11E278AC.png.4ce0cf802c07d3b6c119db9231a72154.png

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

As I hoped, some speed seems to slowly be creeping back in.  I’m certainly not where I was, but the glimmers of hope are motivating for sure..

I really hope this works for me, I've also put the Stack aside setting up a new house and some random injuries. Shot Scope has me -2 SG off the tee vs last year. I'm averaging 20 yards less off the tee while hitting 4% more fairways. That has offset the gains I've made in putting, short game and approach. 

• Like 3