TESTERS WANTED! ×

GolfSpy AFG’s Speed & Swing Odyssey

just out of curiosity, what style of lifting do you gravitate towards?

i have my theories on what sorts of training will translate more quickly and effectively to increased and sustainable swing speed (15+ years as a high level athlete turned coach and trainer), but don't want to impose any on you.  i'm sure you have an approach in mind, just curious as to what that is.

it's just amazing how this approach is so "revolutionary" in golf, when it's been happening for 25+ years across all major sports.

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

1 minute ago, Chip Strokes said:

just out of curiosity, what style of lifting do you gravitate towards?

i have my theories on what sorts of training will translate more quickly and effectively to increased and sustainable swing speed (15+ years as a high level athlete turned coach and trainer), but don't want to impose any on you.  i'm sure you have an approach in mind, just curious as to what that is.

it's just amazing how this approach is so "revolutionary" in golf, when it's been happening for 25+ years across all major sports.

Thanks. Yeah, I keep scratching my head at how impressed everyone is that he put the bulk on.  That's the easy part...especially if you eat at a calorie level that's not concerned with bodyfat increases.

DC training...mostly compound movements, one exercise per muscle group in a given workout with one heavy set in the 10-12 rep range using rest-pause, with each muscle group getting hit 3 times over the course of a 2-week period.  I'll elaborate on that more in a subsequent post, but please feel free to comment/critique on that basic premise.  

I used to be heavy into bodybuilding before I ever touched a club.  My own athletic story is a bit weird, ran 800s my freshman year of college but kept getting hamstring tears and had to find a new athletic pursuit...took up weights and went from 140 to a moderately lean 220 in my late 20s and early 30s.  Now I'm a comfortable 182 at age 42.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

2 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Thanks. Yeah, I keep scratching my head at how impressed everyone is that he put the bulk on.  That's the easy part...especially if you eat at a calorie level that's not concerned with bodyfat increases.

DC training...mostly compound movements, one exercise per muscle group in a given workout with one heavy set in the 10-12 rep range using rest-pause, with each muscle group getting hit 3 times over the course of a 2-week period.  I'll elaborate on that more in a subsequent post, but please feel free to comment/critique on that basic premise.  

I used to be heavy into bodybuilding before I ever touched a club.  My own athletic story is a bit weird, ran 800s my freshman year of college but kept getting hamstring tears and had to find a new athletic pursuit...took up weights and went from 140 to a moderately lean 220 in my late 20s and early 30s.  Now I'm a comfortable 182 at age 42.

so you're mostly hypertrophy based in the gym...which is completely fine and will absolutely get you the mass numbers and increased strength you're chasing.  i'd just caution you to add a yoga/deep stretching session on top of your plan of foam rolling to keep yourself fluid.  mass will move the ball, but a golf swing won't benefit from stiffness.

i competed for 5 years in CrossFit at the games level (i know, not everyones cup of tea) and then for 3 years nationally in olympic weightlifting.  i feel like almost more important than the strength gains will be the ability to transfer that mass and speed into an object efficiently.  i picked up golf in July, grabbed a driver and swung it 135mph.  i credit that to years of training in core-to-extremity movements with a bigtime focus on staying mobile and flexible.  i can squat 500lbs but can also sit and reach a foot past my toes.  

i'd cautiously estimate that most golfers can pick up speed and yardage without lifting a single weight.  mobility will allow people to swing their clubs faster and more efficiently than they can now.

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

7 minutes ago, Chip Strokes said:

so you're mostly hypertrophy based in the gym...which is completely fine and will absolutely get you the mass numbers and increased strength you're chasing.  i'd just caution you to add a yoga/deep stretching session on top of your plan of foam rolling to keep yourself fluid.  mass will move the ball, but a golf swing won't benefit from stiffness.

i competed for 5 years in CrossFit at the games level (i know, not everyones cup of tea) and then for 3 years nationally in olympic weightlifting.  i feel like almost more important than the strength gains will be the ability to transfer that mass and speed into an object efficiently.  i picked up golf in July, grabbed a driver and swung it 135mph.  i credit that to years of training in core-to-extremity movements with a bigtime focus on staying mobile and flexible.  i can squat 500lbs but can also sit and reach a foot past my toes.  

i'd cautiously estimate that most golfers can pick up speed and yardage without lifting a single weight.  mobility will allow people to swing their clubs faster and more efficiently than they can now.

Yeah, agree 100%.  I stretch religiously and will continue to do so.  As I said, Bryson's added bulk isn't the impressive part to me, it's that he translated it to ball speed...that's what I'm after.

I really appreciate the cautionary statements (keep 'em coming), but I promise I'm fanatical about flexibility and mobility...will always be a part of the equation.  (I do intent to include some plyometric work as well.)  A better and faster swing is the goal, not the mass...

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

3 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Yeah, agree 100%.  I stretch religiously and will continue to do so.  As I said, Bryson's added bulk isn't the impressive part to me, it's that he translated it to ball speed...that's what I'm after.

I really appreciate the cautionary statements (keep 'em coming), but I promise I'm fanatical about flexibility and mobility...will always be a part of the equation.

not surprised given you've been lifting for so long.  if you weren't doing mobility work along with it you'd have been hurt a long time ago haha.

have fun with the surplus calories, too.  i've bulked before and it can start to feel like a full time job.  when i was competing heavily i was eating around 4,200 cal a day, and that was just a maintenance number. 

i'm really excited to see your results!

If your goal is to increase SS look at fitforgolf on twitter. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

I am doing the Golf WOD program. I bulked probably a little too hard during Covid, so going to try to drop a little body fat while increasing strength.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

8 minutes ago, Chip Strokes said:

not surprised given you've been lifting for so long.  if you weren't doing mobility work along with it you'd have been hurt a long time ago haha.

have fun with the surplus calories, too.  i've bulked before and it can start to feel like a full time job.  when i was competing heavily i was eating around 4,200 cal a day, and that was just a maintenance number. 

i'm really excited to see your results!

I would be really happy if i ate 4,200 calories a day lol.

Updated 07/15/2022
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip

3 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

I would be really happy if i ate 4,200 calories a day lol.

everyone thinks so, until they realize just how much food it is.  

5 eggs, two english muffins, and an avocado for breakfast comes out to a whopping....700ish calories give or take.  and thats a really huge breakfast for most people.

12 minutes ago, Chip Strokes said:

5 eggs, two english muffins, and an avocado for breakfast comes out to a whopping....700ish calories give or take.  and thats a really huge breakfast for most people.

The main challenge for me in a bulk diet is the clean part.  Very hard not to see a donut and think "eh, I'm bulking" and rationalize hoovering it.  

1 minute ago, Getoffmylawn said:

The main challenge for me in a bulk diet is the clean part.  Very hard not to see a donut and think "eh, I'm bulking" and rationalize hoovering it.  

i could never do it.  i always bulked dirty then came back down with cuts and maintenance being clean calories.  i was also in my early and mid-20s so life was a lot easier.  

now i'm 32 and i keep myself in what i call "two week shape" where i'm at most two weeks of hard work away from being in top shape.  makes life really easy when beach season rolls back around or you've gotta put a suit on that was tailored for you when you were in better shape haha

29 minutes ago, Chip Strokes said:

I think I have an abnormal appetite. I ate a 32 oz ribeye one time in 5 minutes, no problem. Also had appetizers, bread, sides, and dessert to go along with it. Still no problem.

Updated 07/15/2022

The Training Program

So, here’s the weight-training program I’ll be following.  (Truth be told, I’ve been doing this for a while but will adjust the set/rep scheme, and the diet, for size/strength.)

Workouts are grouped as a “A” or “B” workout, with A workouts consisting of Chest, Shoulders, Triceps, Back Width, and Back Thickness exercises executed in that order.  B workouts are Biceps, Forearms, Calvas, Hamstrings, and Quads, again executed in that order.  The training split is then programmed to alternate A and B workouts over 2 weeks on a MWF basis.  In others words, week 1 is ABA on MWF, week 2 is BAB MWF.

The training philosophy is (after enough warm-up sets) to do one heavy working set, including rest-pause, to get to 15 reps executed in good form.  For example, do as many reps as I can without compromising form, rack the weight, pause 10-15 seconds, repeat, and do that as many times as necessary to get to 15 reps.  The only caveat is straight sets are used instead of rest-pause for most rows, deadlifts, or squats, largely for safety reasons.  Also, the rep range is higher for arm exercises.

Here's a sample A workout that I did this morning:

Hammer Strength Bench Press – 210, reps of 9, 3, 2, 1.

Dumbbell Shoulder Press – 70s, reps of 10, 3, 2

Machine Dips – 270,  reps of 8, 4, 2, 1

Hammer Strength Front Lat Pulldowns – 180, reps 8, 4, 2, 1

T-Bar Rows – 150, 2 straight sets of 8

And here’s a B workout I’ll do Friday:

Alternating dumbbell curls – 50s, reps to 20 with rest-pause

Pinwheel curls – 40s, reps to 20 with rest-pause

Seated Calf Raise – 120, reps to 12

Smith Machine Stiff-Legged Deadlift – 180, reps to 12

Hack Squat – 320, straight sets of 10-12

Ab work is a mix of planks and ab wheel sets done as “active rest” in between warm-up sets prior to the working set of the above exercises.

I also keep a log book and take notes of the weight and reps, and then force myself to beat that the next time I hit that workout the next time around, either by more weight or more reps.  The idea being once you can knock out 15 reps, it’s time to add more weight, but always improve on the last workout.

Again, I stretch religiously before each workout, during the workout, and after the workout, and each workout is also preceded by SuperSpeed training.

Also, I have creaky shoulders; separated both of them at different times…playing intramural football as a Captain actually.  So, I’ll usually go a bit lighter for shoulders at a higher rep range, and rely a little more on Hammer Strength machines in particular than most would recommend, if only to try and preserve shoulder health.

I have no plans to post YouTube videos of myself working out or anything corny like that, but I will post progress as far as weight gained, and weight/rep gains on exercises as I go.

As always, I’m more than open to comments/questions/feedback. 

21 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

The Training Program

So, here’s the weight-training program I’ll be following.  (Truth be told, I’ve been doing this for a while but will adjust the set/rep scheme, and the diet, for size/strength.)

Workouts are grouped as a “A” or “B” workout, with A workouts consisting of Chest, Shoulders, Triceps, Back Width, and Back Thickness exercises executed in that order.  B workouts are Biceps, Forearms, Calvas, Hamstrings, and Quads, again executed in that order.  The training split is then programmed to alternate A and B workouts over 2 weeks on a MWF basis.  In others words, week 1 is ABA on MWF, week 2 is BAB MWF.

The training philosophy is (after enough warm-up sets) to do one heavy working set, including rest-pause, to get to 15 reps executed in good form.  For example, do as many reps as I can without compromising form, rack the weight, pause 10-15 seconds, repeat, and do that as many times as necessary to get to 15 reps.  The only caveat is straight sets are used instead of rest-pause for most rows, deadlifts, or squats, largely for safety reasons.  Also, the rep range is higher for arm exercises.

Ab work is a mix of planks and ab wheel sets done as “active rest” in between warm-up sets prior to the working set of the above exercises.

I also keep a log book and take notes of the weight and reps, and then force myself to beat that the next time I hit that workout the next time around, either by more weight or more reps.  The idea being once you can knock out 15 reps, it’s time to add more weight, but always improve on the last workout.

Again, I stretch religiously before each workout, during the workout, and after the workout, and each workout is also preceded by SuperSpeed training.

Also, I have creaky shoulders; separated both of them at different times…playing intramural football as a Captain actually.  So, I’ll usually go a bit lighter for shoulders at a higher rep range, and rely a little more on Hammer Strength machines in particular than most would recommend, if only to try and preserve shoulder health.

I have no plans to post YouTube videos of myself working out or anything corny like that, but I will post progress as far as weight gained, and weight/rep gains on exercises as I go.

Those are some beastly weights, especially the 70 pound dumbells on shoulder press. Looks like a great workout.

Updated 07/15/2022

23 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

The Training Program

"Oh, to be young... "

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

1 minute ago, Kenny B said:

"Oh, to be young... "

Yeah, I know.  I certainly don't feel young at the end of some days.  

I left out that I also do this routine for 12 consecutive weeks, then take 2 weeks of light weigh low-intensity "off time."

Sounds like a great plan. I am in a similar boat in NH with a long off season coming soon. I have SuperSpeed on route and an currently trying to devise a workout plan. Thankfully I am generally flexible without too much work, but as a runner, the speed motions need more work. Speed was much better in high school when I was training for hockey with plyometrics and other explosive moves. Looking to continue to add in abdominal work (both active and planks) along with some more weight training and plyometric like exercises. On top of this gonna be sure to move into some speed work with the running just as an added piece of work. Good luck this off-season.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

20 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Love this thread.  Can’t wait to follow along.

I am going to try a similar approach, but I haven’t been in a gym in 20 years or more.  Quit lifting in High School.  Hopefully I can pick up some ideas from you.

Nice work.

I agree should be a good thread to follow. I hope to join in with some progress of my own.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

Will be following as well. Not sure if I need the bulk but I am sure alot of what youll be doing can help in alot of different areas.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

Encouraged by this feedback; thanks everyone.  I'll post diet info tomorrow.

I'm no "certified" trainer or nutrition specialist, but I like to think I know more than your average bear, so I'll be posting my own thoughts and assessments and I hope anyone else will chime in as well.  Please, ask questions as I go.

And, I promise not to run a bodybuilding thread in a golf forum, I'll do my best to monitor and post some assessments of my progress as it relates to my golf swing to the extent that I can.

The Diet

So in my opinion, a lot of people who plan to bulk up (or slim down for that matter) tend to “hit the gym” and forget an axiom that I have come to believe is absolutely true…you are what you eat.  Anyone who has spent any sustained effort will tell you that the general rule of body composition changes is 80% of it is nutrition, 10% genetics, and 10% training.  Put another way, you can have a great workout program, but if you feed your body the wrong stuff you’ll have a hard time making the gains you’re looking for, in addition to having a hard time putting the right level of intensity into the workouts themselves.

For me, my maintenance calorie total for a day is about 2,750, which I arrived at via the Bod Pod body fat assessment I previously mentioned and working with a nutritionist. If you’re interested in trying to figure out your own, you can get reasonably close via an online calculator (https://tdeecalculator.net/), but you’ll need to know your body fat percentage. Don’t guess…sorry, but you can’t look in a mirror and come up with a good estimate.  At least find a scale with sensors that can estimate a number.

Anyway, my goal as I’ve mentioned is a slow and clean bulk…I’d still like to see my abs.  Not that I’m checking out dudes during a golf tournament, but the eye test tells me that Bryson’s gained more body fat than he needed to.  I know he’s got a team of experts supporting him so I won’t argue the point, and I’m certain his activity level is far higher than mine overall, but you just don’t need a 6,000 calorie diet to gain weight.  And, if you want to do it clean, you should do it slowly over time anyway.

So, my bulk calorie total will only be 3,200, a 450 calorie surplus, with a macro goal of 50% carbs, 25% protein (200g), and 25% fat.

MFP2.png.7c03b4864008e15e61f11beefcdf97dc.png

I have used (and will continue to use) MyFitnessPal to track and count my macros.  Debate me on this if you want, and maybe it’s a little less important if you’re doing a dirty bulk, but you do need to count your macros if you want to stay on top of your body fat.  Yeah, that means a food scale and scanning labels.  MyFitnessPal is great in that regard…you can scan the UPC code on a package and it will load the nutritional value per serving into your daily log.

Here’s an example of a daily log…

MFP3.jpg.73d1fa313a3b670c1fed416372ae0ff9.jpg

A couple important notes as this applies to me:

-          As you can see from this sample log, I don’t hit the numbers exact.  I always hit the protein number and maybe a little more, but I’m okay with being around the totals for carbs and fats rather than dead on.  You can drive yourself crazy trying to be dead on with those.

-          450 calories is not much of a surplus, and this will definitely be a slow bulk.  Again, I’m trying to do this without gaining fat so my wife will still dig me, but I also have a thyroid condition so I have to be even more careful about gaining fat.  (I have to take a daily synthetic thyroid pill.)  Also, I have an office job so my daily activity level outside of my workouts or golf isn't as high as some.

-          Most important, this is an iterative process.  If in a month I’ve only gained 1 pound or something, I can bump up the calories or otherwise reassess.  Similarly, if I gain 10 pounds in the first month I can cut back a bit or (more likely) up the cardio.

-          The biggest challenge for me…booze.  Not like a drinking problem, I mean I just love a good beer or two after a round or on football Sunday.  As a general rule the best alcohols to consume from a calorie control standpoint is the hard stuff, whiskey, vodka, etc., and a neat Jim Beam Black works for me so that will be my drink of choice for the next several months.  But, the important part is to count the calories like anything else you consume.

-          Another general rule, avoid added sugars.  I have ZERO sweet tooth issues so it’s not a challenge for me, but if anyone reads this looking to glean advice, avoid added/refined sugars like the plague.  Your body can’t process them very well, it’s a ton of useless calories, there is strong evidence they are linked to cancer and heart disease…avoid them.  

Alright, so that’s the plan…off I go.  Ask questions or comment, please!  I won’t be posting daily, but I do intend to post frequently enough to speak to size and strength gains, and I’ll sprinkle in some numbers from GolfTEC lessons along the way as well as any results I might actually see if I get lucky and get some November or December golf in. 

10 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Not that I’m checking out dudes during a golf tournament, but the eye test tells me that Bryson’s gained more body fat than he needed to.  I know he’s got a team of experts supporting him so I won’t argue the point, and I’m certain his activity level is far higher than mine overall, but you just don’t need a 6,000 calorie diet to gain weight.  And, if you want to do it clean, you should do it slowly over time anyway.

i love the way you’re going about this! i’m really excited to see the progress here. 

i quoted that one part for two reasons. 

1. ive been having this debate with my brother in law since the golf season restart. Bryson bulked up, he didn’t “get jacked”. he put on a LOT of weight very quickly and a lot of it is fat. that’s not to say it’s good or bad - just cringe a little when people say he’s jacked. 

2. i’ve been tracking macros for a long time. i can look at a list of food and reasonably tell you the calorie count. all the “bryson’s daily diet” articles i’ve seen say he’s eating 6k cal, but it’s likely closer to 4k. there’s definitely some media fluff in effect there, i just think it’s irresponsible for them to inflate those numbers. now you’re gonna have a bunch of 14 year old kids stuffing 6k cal in their faces trying to drive it 350

1 minute ago, Chip Strokes said:

i love the way you’re going about this! i’m really excited to see the progress here. 

i quoted that one part for two reasons. 

1. ive been having this debate with my brother in law since the golf season restart. Bryson bulked up, he didn’t “get jacked”. he put on a LOT of weight very quickly and a lot of it is fat. that’s not to say it’s good or bad - just cringe a little when people say he’s jacked. 

2. i’ve been tracking macros for a long time. i can look at a list of food and reasonably tell you the calorie count. all the “bryson’s daily diet” articles i’ve seen say he’s eating 6k cal, but it’s likely closer to 4k. there’s definitely some media fluff in effect there, i just think it’s irresponsible for them to inflate those numbers. now you’re gonna have a bunch of 14 year old kids stuffing 6k cal in their faces trying to drive it 350

Right?!  Not to mention the 7 shakes a day.  I definitely drink my share of shakes, but at 7 a day you can't tell me a lot of that isn/t going straight in the toilet, literally.

3 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Right?!  Not to mention the 7 shakes a day.  I definitely drink my share of shakes, but at 7 a day you can't tell me a lot of that isn/t going straight in the toilet, literally.

it’s a lot of quickly digested, nutrient poor calories. 

i try to limit my shakes to one post workout and one at night that i use to fill in any gaps in my numbers. 

i can tweak the nighttime shake to make sure my numbers are where they need to be. 

for example if i’m low on fat for the day, an extra scoop of PB goes in. if i’m low on carbs, a banana or two go in the blender.

for him to be getting the bulk of his calories from shakes isn’t the best idea 

Today’s workout in the books.  Level 3 SuperSpeed program, then the following:

Dumbbell Incline Presses – 75s, 10, 2, 2, 1

Arnold Presses – 50s, 14, 4, 2

Tricep Pressdowns – 150, 15, 10, 5, 5

Close Grip Chins – 13, 3, 2, 1

Trap Bar Deadlifts – 12 x 2

I also got on the scale at 185.4, a full 3 pounds heavier than I was one week ago.  I really doubt I gained 3 pounds in a week (probably just holding a different amount of water), so I probably won’t get on the scale for another month and see where I’m at.

So I've been thinking about core training in this program, especially as it relates to the SuperSpeed protocols.

As I've mentioned, I do the SuperSpeed work on MWF, usually at 0430, then drive to the gym for a 0500 workout when the doors open there.  My actual ab work is completed throughout the weight training program, basically "active rest" of the primary muscle groups I'm working where I'm doing planks or ab wheel work.

I have been avoiding any real rotary ab training because I feel like the SuperSpeed work gives me that to some extent, but now that I'm getting into the offseason I'm strongly considering adding rotary work on the leg days.  (Primarily medicine ball throws and exercises of that nature.)  My only is if doing medicine ball throws would disrupt the neurological reprogramming or "brain-training" that SuperSpeed is trying to accomplish?  Thoughts?

In fact, I wonder if @SuperSpeed Golfwould care to weigh in, maybe even take a look at this thread and share some thoughts...?

i don't think there's any concern about disrupting any of the brain training with additional rotational core work.  the brain is pretty efficient at compartmentalizing different training protocols when it comes down to it.  if it weren't, then every exercise done by an athlete would have to directly mirror a sport specific movement for them.

in my completely unprofessional opinion, your training with SS and its carry over to your swing on the course would only be enhanced by stronger core muscles (specifically your obliques, QLs and your serratus...with your lats having some input).  the reason i think this is you're going to be creating a much more stable and powerful base that can handle increased speed and torque from a faster swing.  those two pieces will start to build each other as you go.  faster swing needs stronger muscles...stronger muscles support faster swing, and so on.

1 hour ago, Chip Strokes said:

i don't think there's any concern about disrupting any of the brain training with additional rotational core work.  the brain is pretty efficient at compartmentalizing different training protocols when it comes down to it.  if it weren't, then every exercise done by an athlete would have to directly mirror a sport specific movement for them.

in my completely unprofessional opinion, your training with SS and its carry over to your swing on the course would only be enhanced by stronger core muscles (specifically your obliques, QLs and your serratus...with your lats having some input).  the reason i think this is you're going to be creating a much more stable and powerful base that can handle increased speed and torque from a faster swing.  those two pieces will start to build each other as you go.  faster swing needs stronger muscles...stronger muscles support faster swing, and so on.

Yeah, I tend to agree with you, just trying to think through this so as to avoid short-circuiting the purpose of this entire experiment.  

I'm sure rotary ab work that builds a stronger core is beneficial to the golf swing.  What I am concerned about is the timing and effect of the workouts relative to the SuperSpeed training.  What I'm planning to do would basically mean that I'm swinging the SuperSpeed green stick at 135 mph and teaching my brain "see, you can swing that fast" but then 45 minutes later, when I'm throwing a 20 pound medicine ball against the wall, I'm obviously going to be throwing it at a lot less than 135, so I am short-circuiting the brain reprogramming the SuperSpeed is trying to do?

I agree, probably not, the movements are dissimilar enough, but I'm a little hesitant to risk it, if there is in fact a risk...