TESTERS WANTED! ×

GolfSpy AFG’s Speed & Swing Odyssey

2 hours ago, edingc said:

One thing to keep in mind is that a lot of people's posted numbers with the SS sticks are from the Sports Sensors radar and not the PRGR. My general impression is that the PRGR reads lower than the Sports Sensors one.

I would guess that after a few weeks of work with the radar offering feedback you will see a jump in your speeds. Having that feedback will help immensely to determine the difference between what feels fast and what is actually fast.

Totally agree with this the number of times I swung and thought that was fast and look back and see it's slowest swing by with the that stick. That feedback I hope will really help.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

Agree with the others - I think things will start to progress more and you'll see the speeds climb. I'd just use it as a starting point and go from there. Similar to lifting weights - all 500lbs squatters started with the bar, so all 120+ mph swingers all started somewhere too.

You know your game better than anyone, so don't let the numbers through you off. Just keep progressing.

Driver: :callaway-small: XR16 LD 7* w/ House of Forged Jamie Sadlowski S

3Wood: :cobra-small: F9 Speedback Tour 12.5* Draw w/ Project X Even Flow White T1100 75S

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 818 H1 16* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 90S

Irons: :titelist-small: 718 T-MB (3); :titelist-small: 716 AP2 (5-PW)

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX4 52/58; :cleveland-small: Full-face 64

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Hollywood / :cleveland-small: SOFT 11

Ball: :srixon-small:

Instagram: @thatgolfguyrob

I heard about this product on the Fit for Golf podcast but couldn't find it online, until today... The price is steep, but the app provides 40+ weeks of programs that are sequenced based on your speed outputs in addition to warm-up protocols and pre-round speed priming. Someone was finally smart enough to replace the multiple sticks from SuperSpeed with a single adjustable stick. This could easily fit in my bag to replace the Orange Whip and use pre-round compared to SS. 

Two of the smartest guys in the sport are behind this product. The app and analysis it provides (along with the lifetime access promo for pre-orders), add enough value for me to consider purchasing this setup to replace my homemade SuperSpeed sticks. My bias as a Canadian may also be helping to justify supporting Sasho Mackenzie. I suspect there will be improvements to the app and additional material added over time as it appears he only mentions the step drill as the only non-standard swing used in the protocols (in addition to 1-arm swings). 

https://www.thestacksystem.com/

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

48 minutes ago, BMart519 said:

I heard about this product on the Fit for Golf podcast but couldn't find it online, until today... The price is steep, but the app provides 40+ weeks of programs that are sequenced based on your speed outputs in addition to warm-up protocols and pre-round speed priming. Someone was finally smart enough to replace the multiple sticks from SuperSpeed with a single adjustable stick. This could easily fit in my bag to replace the Orange Whip and use pre-round compared to SS. 

Two of the smartest guys in the sport are behind this product. The app and analysis it provides (along with the lifetime access promo for pre-orders), add enough value for me to consider purchasing this setup to replace my homemade SuperSpeed sticks. My bias as a Canadian may also be helping to justify supporting Sasho Mackenzie. I suspect there will be improvements to the app and additional material added over time as it appears he only mentions the step drill as the only non-standard swing used in the protocols (in addition to 1-arm swings). 

https://www.thestacksystem.com/

Yeah, I think I remember a brief sales pitch for this when he was on the Fit for Golf podcast,

3 hours ago, thatgolfguyrob said:

Agree with the others - I think things will start to progress more and you'll see the speeds climb. I'd just use it as a starting point and go from there. Similar to lifting weights - all 500lbs squatters started with the bar, so all 120+ mph swingers all started somewhere too.

You know your game better than anyone, so don't let the numbers through you off. Just keep progressing.

Thanks, appreciate it.  Just hyper-competitive, with myself especially if that makes any sense...

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

So being comfortable that I've done enough from a size and strength standpoint, and with a desire to focus on speed above all else, I'm looking to re-program my weight training.  I have a week off (due to a quick family trip) coming in the last week of February, so the plan is to keep doing what I'm doing through 19 Feb, take the week off, and then start a new training approach once I'm back.

The plan is to introduce complex training...many thanks to @BMart519for pointing me in this direction.

Basically, take an exercise, do it at 85-95% of your 1RM, rest, and then a light explosive version of the same movement pattern.  This capitalizes on a phenomenon known as Post Activation Potentiation, which in a nutshell means rather than being fatigued for the explosive movement, you'll actually be primed to move faster.

Here's a link to a MyTPI article concerning it, authored by Mike Carroll:

The Benefits Of Complex Training For Power Development In Golfers | Article | TPI (mytpi.com)

So, I am still struggling with how to program it.  I think what I'm going to do (and I'm hoping @BMart519or @Chip Strokeswon't mind giving me their thoughts) is the following:

Monday Wednesday Friday training split:

Monday & Friday - Complex training with one pair of heavy and explosive exercises for Legs, Chest, and Back

For example, 4 sets of squats followed by box jumps, then 4 sets of Dumbbell Bench followed by Plyo-Push Ups, 4 sets of Lat Pulldowns followed by med ball slams

Wednesday - Ancillary training, kind of a beach muscle workout, Shoulders, biceps, triceps, calves and hams, targeted ab work

Thoughts?  Or should I do the complex work 3 times a week?  And how do you assess I'll be feeling for a Saturday morning round after one of these workouts on a Friday?

Appreciate anyone's feedback....uncharted territory for me here....

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

36 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Monday Wednesday Friday training split:

Monday & Friday - Complex training with one pair of heavy and explosive exercises for Legs, Chest, and Back

For example, 4 sets of squats followed by box jumps, then 4 sets of Dumbbell Bench followed by Plyo-Push Ups, 4 sets of Lat Pulldowns followed by med ball slams

Wednesday - Ancillary training, kind of a beach muscle workout, Shoulders, biceps, triceps, calves and hams, targeted ab work

Thoughts?  Or should I do the complex work 3 times a week?  And how do you assess I'll be feeling for a Saturday morning round after one of these workouts on a Friday?

Appreciate anyone's feedback....uncharted territory for me here....

Tracking fatigue and progress on this type of training becomes... Complex 🙂 - especially if working solo. Ideally, you would want to time or measure (jump height, push up height, throw distance) your explosive moves under normal conditions (warmed up, no PAP) to get a baseline. You would then compare those same metrics to ensure you are seeing increases over baseline w/PAP. If your outputs were significantly less w/PAP you either need to increase your rest period, or more likely - reduce load on the heavy move. 

The split looks fine, you train regularly so the PAP workout Friday shouldn't have high-rep programming for hypertrophy that leaves you sore with DOMS. This is where the next level of measuring comes into play, ideally you would also compare outputs on Monday vs Friday to ensure no decreases which would indicate overtraining. 

A few ideas on measuring:
jumps - standing vertical leap test, reach as high as possible on a wall with measurements on it (still shows leaping output which will carryover to box jumps)
med ball throw - lay on floor in a sit-up position with med ball over head on floor, throw as far as possible in the air past your feet while sitting up to torso vertical. Could throw towards a wall 20' away and see how high up the wall you hit. 
plyo push-up - use adjustable height steps as a box jump for your arms...

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

59 minutes ago, BMart519 said:

Tracking fatigue and progress on this type of training becomes... Complex 🙂 - especially if working solo. Ideally, you would want to time or measure (jump height, push up height, throw distance) your explosive moves under normal conditions (warmed up, no PAP) to get a baseline. You would then compare those same metrics to ensure you are seeing increases over baseline w/PAP. If your outputs were significantly less w/PAP you either need to increase your rest period, or more likely - reduce load on the heavy move. 

The split looks fine, you train regularly so the PAP workout Friday shouldn't have high-rep programming for hypertrophy that leaves you sore with DOMS. This is where the next level of measuring comes into play, ideally you would also compare outputs on Monday vs Friday to ensure no decreases which would indicate overtraining. 

A few ideas on measuring:
jumps - standing vertical leap test, reach as high as possible on a wall with measurements on it (still shows leaping output which will carryover to box jumps)
med ball throw - lay on floor in a sit-up position with med ball over head on floor, throw as far as possible in the air past your feet while sitting up to torso vertical. Could throw towards a wall 20' away and see how high up the wall you hit. 
plyo push-up - use adjustable height steps as a box jump for your arms...

Thank you.  You don't see any issue with doing some of the beach muscle work on Wednesday either?

2 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Thank you.  You don't see any issue with doing some of the beach muscle work on Wednesday either?

You'll be able to tell if you measure outputs on Monday v Friday 😉

On Wednesday, I would avoid movements you did on Monday. 

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

13 minutes ago, BMart519 said:

You'll be able to tell if you measure outputs on Monday v Friday 😉

On Wednesday, I would avoid movements you did on Monday. 

Gotcha.  Yeah, Wednesday I'm thinking mostly isolation movements, curls, pressdowns, etc...

i’m not gonna bother expanding on a really good write up from @BMart519.  he nailed it. 

the only consideration you should account for with your saturday round following your friday session is how depressed your CNS is from near maximal loads and increased neuromuscular recruitment from the speed training. 

there’s no way for me to say how the sessions will affect you, so there’s gonna be some trial and error. 

soreness should never hold you back from playing. once you’ve got a little sweat going that all goes away. as long as you’re staying warm during your rounds you’ll be ok. 

but if you find that you feel like you’re swinging your driver under water on saturday morning...that’s your CNS not firing on all cylinders and maybe a switch up in the schedule is needed. 

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

10 minutes ago, Chip Strokes said:

i’m not gonna bother expanding on a really good write up from @BMart519.  he nailed it. 

the only consideration you should account for with your saturday round following your friday session is how depressed your CNS is from near maximal loads and increased neuromuscular recruitment from the speed training. 

there’s no way for me to say how the sessions will affect you, so there’s gonna be some trial and error. 

soreness should never hold you back from playing. once you’ve got a little sweat going that all goes away. as long as you’re staying warm during your rounds you’ll be ok. 

but if you find that you feel like you’re swinging your driver under water on saturday morning...that’s your CNS not firing on all cylinders and maybe a switch up in the schedule is needed. 

Thank you, appreciate the feedback.

SuperSpeed Level 4 plus C Club this morning, followed by an A3 workout.  Again a disappointing output on the radar, but I'm trying to keep it in perspective and be patient.  It did also dawn on me that after completion of all 96 swings, I still hadn't broken a sweat...I run through the prescribed SuperSpeed warm-up protocols every time, but when you're swinging with a couple layers on in an unheated garage and it's -2 out, it's hard to get loose.  I'm sure that's a contributing factor, although not to the tune of 5 mph or something like that.

I'm also noticing some oddities.  For example, while I haven't charted the speeds, I find that if I'm equally as attentive to the non-dominant swings as the dominant ones, I appear to be slightly faster on the non-dominant swings!?  I'll have to chart the speeds on the non-dominant side the next time around, but perhaps this would be an indication that some single-arm speed training is in order.  I also don't seem to have much disparity between the sticks as compared to some others, in fact on several occasions I beat my green speeds with the blue stick.  This may simply owe to the lack of being sufficiently warmed up though.

The weight workout was a good one, getting stronger.  That said, I am looking forward to getting this phase over and done with and moving on to a contrast training method come March.  It's clear to me I'm "strong enough for golf" and would probably have been better served with a greater emphasis on power and explosiveness training this offseason. Live and learn...

Med Ball Slams - 10 pound ball, 3 x 5

Dumbbell Press - 95s, reps at 6, 1

Machine Shoulder Press - 190, reps at 7, 2

Machine Dip - 250, reps at 14, 4

Machine Lat Pulldown - 190, reps at 6, 1

Wide-Grip Cable Row - 190, reps at 8, 3 (time to up the weight here)

Standing Internal Rotations - 20, 3 x 12

Standing External Rotations - 20, 3 x 12

On 2/10/2021 at 10:08 AM, Getoffmylawn said:

I'm also noticing some oddities.  For example, while I haven't charted the speeds, I find that if I'm equally as attentive to the non-dominant swings as the dominant ones, I appear to be slightly faster on the non-dominant swings!?  I'll have to chart the speeds on the non-dominant side the next time around, but perhaps this would be an indication that some single-arm speed training is in order.  I also don't seem to have much disparity between the sticks as compared to some others, in fact on several occasions I beat my green speeds with the blue stick.  This may simply owe to the lack of being sufficiently warmed up though.

Simplifaster (or Par4Success) had research showing that a number of people used improper sequencing on the green stick. They used more upper body than lower body in response to the weight being too light. My guess is 250g is too light for someone who DLs 400lbs. 🙂 They found that using only the Blue stick drove similar gains to using all 3 sticks. You're likely not firing your legs and hips as much on the green stick. 

Use the green stick (or take the head off your driver shaft) to do 1 arm swings and compare speeds for each arm. If there is a large difference, then it will be an area to improve. 

I've got no ideas why you would be faster non-dominant, unless your right leg is stronger than left (to produce more vertical force on lead side) and your sequencing is equally efficient swinging each way. Which would be impressive. As a right hander, my right leg is stronger than my left. But my coordination isn't even close on the non-dominant swings and I am this close to eliminating non-dominant swings altogether after more reading. 

If anything, I would like to experiment with a "plyo-swing" where you do a full swing RH, then swing back as hard as you can without stopping, in the other direction. But, I am going to be patient and continue rehabbing my shoulder for the next month or two until my Stack System arrives to replace my homemade SS sticks. 

Mach 3 Speed Training has an interesting drill where you swing as fast as possible side to side for 6 reps but only partial swings. Like doing a 90-90 drill as fast as you can, or even shorter. They have a lot of gimmicky devices, but their swing drills are interesting. 

Edited by BMart519

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

44 minutes ago, BMart519 said:

Simplifaster (or Par4Success) had research showing that a number of people used improper sequencing on the green stick. They used more upper body than lower body in response to the weight being too light. My guess is 250g is too light for someone who DLs 400lbs. 🙂 They found that using only the Blue stick drove similar gains to using all 3 sticks. You're likely not firing your legs and hips as much on the green stick. 

Use the green stick (or take the head off your driver shaft) to do 1 arm swings and compare speeds for each arm. If there is a large difference, then it will be an area to improve. 

I've got no ideas why you would be faster non-dominant, unless your right leg is stronger than left (to produce more vertical force on lead side) and your sequencing is equally efficient swinging each way. Which would be impressive. As a right hander, my right leg is stronger than my left. But my coordination isn't even close on the non-dominant swings and I am this close to eliminating non-dominant swings altogether after more reading. 

If anything, I would like to experiment with a "plyo-swing" where you do a full swing RH, then swing back as hard as you can without stopping, in the other direction. But, I am going to be patient and continue rehabbing my shoulder for the next month or two until my Stack System arrives to replace my homemade SS sticks. 

Mach 3 Speed Training has an interesting drill where you swing as fast as possible side to side for 6 reps but only partial swings. Like doing a 90-90 drill as fast as you can, or even shorter. They have a lot of gimmicky devices, but their swing drills are interesting. 

Thank you!

Yeah, the plan is to do a little diagnostic work with the radar to see what kind of disparity I might have between each arm.

I've got to be honest, I am still kind of toying with going back to the drawing board and starting with Level 1 all over again, this time radar in tow.  It would have the benefit of cutting down on overall volume during the actual season too.

On another subject, the base gym is back to normal (kind of), so I want and checked out what equipment is available for when I move to this complex training program.  Found this, which I can pair with sprints...

IMG_6287.jpg.031e93691f113b1f3fb9201a249706c3.jpg

Having never used one before, any tips?  I've read weight recommendations ranging from 80% to 100% of bodyweight, and then a 25Mish push.  I was thinking I'd put 200 on, push it 25M, rest 2-3, and then 60M sprint, all x 4.

1 hour ago, BMart519 said:

Btw, I tried to PM you but for some reason the site wouldn't let me...thank you for all the help and insights.  I must owe you some money at this point.

21 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Having never used one before, any tips?  I've read weight recommendations ranging from 80% to 100% of bodyweight, and then a 25Mish push.  I was thinking I'd put 200 on, push it 25M, rest 2-3, and then 60M sprint, all x 4.

I've only used a weighted sled on artificial turf which has a lot more resistance than wheels. I used 50% of my body weight while still moving at a decent pace. Around 75% and it was a challenge to keep moving. On wheels I think 80-100% is a reasonable start point, but it may prove too easy. I would caution you to watch the momentum on that thing... It might get awkward if you need to stop it in a short distance. I would take it easy the first day, start at 100-150 just to get used to the equipment, then go to 200 and assess how hard it is to stop or if you can let it roll to a stop on its own. If it is easy to stop, I think you can probably move to 300-400 in no time. 

25m is good, lots of gyms only have 15-20m for sleds. 

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

22 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

On another subject, the base gym is back to normal (kind of), so I want and checked out what equipment is available for when I move to this complex training program.  Found this, which I can pair with sprints...

IMG_6287.jpg.031e93691f113b1f3fb9201a249706c3.jpg

awesome sled!

it’s hard to program specific weights for sled work. you just can’t account for sled differences and flooring differences 

i always programmed sled work for my athletes using the pace at which i wanted them to move as a loading guideline. 

i.e.: 50m at marching pace or 20m at all our sprint pace. that way i knew my athletes were preserving the stimulus i was after, and i didn’t end up with someone barely moving 100lbs because they were on rubber flooring. and another person sprinting all out bc they’re on slick asphalt. 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

Just now, Chip Strokes said:

awesome sled!

it’s hard to program specific weights for sled work. you just can’t account for sled differences and flooring differences 

i always programmed sled work for my athletes using the pace at which i wanted them to move as a loading guideline. 

i.e.: 50m at marching pace or 20m at all our sprint pace. that way i knew my athletes were preserving the stimulus i was after, and i didn’t end up with someone barely moving 100lbs because they were on rubber flooring. and another person sprinting all out bc they’re on slick asphalt. 

Makes sense.  Seems to me a longer marching pace is what I’m after if I’m trying to amplify potentiation before the sprints.

1 minute ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Makes sense.  Seems to me a longer marching pace is what I’m after if I’m trying to amplify potentiation before the sprints.

yeah, i’d stick to marching or even slower

then either unloaded sled sprints or just regular wind sprints 

On 9/22/2020 at 12:16 PM, Chip Strokes said:

so you're mostly hypertrophy based in the gym...which is completely fine and will absolutely get you the mass numbers and increased strength you're chasing.  i'd just caution you to add a yoga/deep stretching session on top of your plan of foam rolling to keep yourself fluid.  mass will move the ball, but a golf swing won't benefit from stiffness.

i competed for 5 years in CrossFit at the games level (i know, not everyones cup of tea) and then for 3 years nationally in olympic weightlifting.  i feel like almost more important than the strength gains will be the ability to transfer that mass and speed into an object efficiently.  i picked up golf in July, grabbed a driver and swung it 135mph.  i credit that to years of training in core-to-extremity movements with a bigtime focus on staying mobile and flexible.  i can squat 500lbs but can also sit and reach a foot past my toes.  

i'd cautiously estimate that most golfers can pick up speed and yardage without lifting a single weight.  mobility will allow people to swing their clubs faster and more efficiently than they can now.

Just started the peloton yoga classes 2 weeks ago and have noticed a huge improvement in my low back stability, and flexibility through my back and lower body. Definitely a better routine after maxing out isolated stretches. 

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

So I tracked my non-dominant swings and definitely observed a few oddities.  I have to say, I am really considering scrapping the whole thing and going right back to Level 1, this time with the benefit of the radar.  

The weight workout was a good one:

Med Ball Wall Throws - 10 pound ball, 3 x 5

Dumbbell Curls - 60s, reps at 6, 1

Pinwheel Curls - 50s, reps at 9, 4 (time to go to 55s)

Box Jumps - 3 x 4

Bulgarian Split Squats w/Jump - 50s, 3 x 4

Machine Leg Press Calves - 280, 10 reps

Stiff-Legged Deadlifts - 225, 2 x9 (time to go to 245)

Standing Anti-Rotations - 50, 3 x 12

The combined Level 4/C Club protocol that preceded it was interesting.  On the good, my peak speed or highest number with each club has ticked higher with each workout.  (Emphasis on "ticked"...nothing monumental.)  That said, on all of my heel-stomp swings, my speeds were higher on the non-dominant side than the dominant, and I mean 5-6 mph higher.  Not so for the normal swings or double-step, but on heel-stomp that was the consistent difference on the green, blue, and red.

I think it's a fair conclusion to say I'm not using the ground very effectively and need to work on loading into the ground and pushing off.  So, that will be a point of emphasis moving forward for sure.

And, again, I'm really considering going back to the drawing board and starting at Level 1.  My thought is that when I get back from my family trip and start this new "complex training" program on 1 March, I would start over at Level 1 on Monday, a solely C Club protocol on Wednesday, and then a Single Arm protocol on Friday.  (Of course, I'd have to figure out a smart protocol on my own for that...)

Decisions decisions...

So, I am into the last week of my size/strength weight training routine.  I've put on and kept roughly 15 pounds of mass and did so at a bodyfat level that I'm still pretty happy with. I've got two more workouts to go (Wednesday and Friday), then a week long break before I start up on a new routine emphasizing complex training for speed.  I'll detail that plan in another post later in the week.

I am concerned I've made some mistakes. One, in my quest for strength I may have trained too slow (if that makes any sense).  It's hard to move explosively with the heavy stuff at low reps.  Two, it's proving to be somewhere between misguided and just plain dumb to not have used a radar with my SuperSpeed training.  It's been incredibly cold here, and I've been doing the training layered up and not terribly warm, so I'm cautiously optimistic of a not-insignificant increase in speeds once the temps climb, but without getting into specifics I'll just summarize that I have not gotten much faster, at all.  My challenges are largely technique in my opinion; I need to do much better at using the ground. So, once I do start complex training, I intend to go back to square one of SuperSpeed and start back at Level 1, with one of the workouts replaced with a C Club protocol weekly.  This time with the radar.

I am however trying figure out how to smartly add single-arm training to the mix.  I did some one-arm swing testing yesterday, with both arms swinging in both directions, and I observed an average disparity of 10 mph between dominant and non-dominant swings with my lead arm versus my trail arm.  In other words, on the green stick for example, I'm right handed, so when swinging left arm only and pulling it through the hitting zone, that motion was 10 mph slower on average as compared to a left arm only non-dominant swing where I'm pushing it through the zone.  My right arm only swings showed no such disparity.

My only concern now is how to program single-arm work.  Add it to Level 1 protocols on Monday and Friday, or do Level 1 on Monday, C Club on Wednesday, and Single-Arm only work on Friday?

I'll start by saying that I'm no expert, but personally, I don't think the strength training has hurt you. Looking at a lot of the information that Fit for Golf, Bill Miller, etc put out, strength is always an emphasis. As you mentioned, a 3 rep max is going to move a lot slower than doing sets with 65%-75% of your max, but both have their place. I think the phases you are using, will allow you to take that added strength and now move the club/weights faster. After this next phase you have planned, have you ever considered a Westside/conjugate style of training? Less so powerlifting focused and more so having a max/heavy day and speed/rep day. Obviously it isn't the most golf focused workout, but looking at people like Joe DeFranco, Chad Wesley Smith, etc, you can easily adapt this style of training. In fact, CWS was a top thrower and I think a lot of throwing style of training carries over to golf.

I also think that the superspeed training will help, especially now that you have a radar and can track all of your sessions. What I will say though, and I am a victim of this all the time, is be careful of paralysis by analysis...in the end, you are training in the freezing cold and haven't stepped foot on a course in a while, so you don't truly know where you stand and the course is all that matters. Sorry for the long post and unsolicited advice - just thought I'd chime in.

3Wood: :cobra-small: F9 Speedback Tour 12.5* Draw w/ Project X Even Flow White T1100 75S

29 minutes ago, thatgolfguyrob said:

I'll start by saying that I'm no expert, but personally, I don't think the strength training has hurt you. Looking at a lot of the information that Fit for Golf, Bill Miller, etc put out, strength is always an emphasis. As you mentioned, a 3 rep max is going to move a lot slower than doing sets with 65%-75% of your max, but both have their place. I think the phases you are using, will allow you to take that added strength and now move the club/weights faster. After this next phase you have planned, have you ever considered a Westside/conjugate style of training? Less so powerlifting focused and more so having a max/heavy day and speed/rep day. Obviously it isn't the most golf focused workout, but looking at people like Joe DeFranco, Chad Wesley Smith, etc, you can easily adapt this style of training. In fact, CWS was a top thrower and I think a lot of throwing style of training carries over to golf.

I also think that the superspeed training will help, especially now that you have a radar and can track all of your sessions. What I will say though, and I am a victim of this all the time, is be careful of paralysis by analysis...in the end, you are training in the freezing cold and haven't stepped foot on a course in a while, so you don't truly know where you stand and the course is all that matters. Sorry for the long post and unsolicited advice - just thought I'd chime in.

I definitely appreciate the feedback.  You've probably picked up that I'm very disappointed with what the radar is showing me now that I have it, but I'm as confused as I am disappointed.  My last round of last year after I was a month into this training I hit several 300 yard drives and had a club less than normal on a lot of my approaches, so I'm somewhere between hopeful and optimistic that I'll see similar gains on the course this year.  I'm just not understanding why I would see gains on course but not in a training session.  

Not giving up though, going to keep chasing this no matter how slow twitch I might be...

44 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

I definitely appreciate the feedback.  You've probably picked up that I'm very disappointed with what the radar is showing me now that I have it, but I'm as confused as I am disappointed.  My last round of last year after I was a month into this training I hit several 300 yard drives and had a club less than normal on a lot of my approaches, so I'm somewhere between hopeful and optimistic that I'll see similar gains on the course this year.  I'm just not understanding why I would see gains on course but not in a training session.  

Not giving up though, going to keep chasing this no matter how slow twitch I might be...

I definitely think swinging in the freezing cold and a bunch of layers will play a role. I think the key thing now is to continue to track the numbers and see if you are progressing. As long as you are progressing, you are on the right track.

1 hour ago, thatgolfguyrob said:

I definitely think swinging in the freezing cold and a bunch of layers will play a role. I think the key thing now is to continue to track the numbers and see if you are progressing. As long as you are progressing, you are on the right track.

I wills second this, I have to swing outside and it has been very cold lately and I have seen speed drops even if I work to warm up. Hopeful warm weather gets things back up as well. Keep up the hard work @Getoffmylawn

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

20 minutes ago, ejgaudette said:

I wills second this, I have to swing outside and it has been very cold lately and I have seen speed drops even if I work to warm up. Hopeful warm weather gets things back up as well. Keep up the hard work @Getoffmylawn

Appreciate the encouragement...

22 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

I don't know what the climate and course conditions are like in the fall where you play, but the courses here firmed up in September and October. I tag all my shots with Shot Scope and hit a 17 deg hybrid 260 off the tee in my last round which is 10 yards longer than my good shots and 30+ longer than average. My 95-100 MPH swing speed is good for 240-250 carry with driver which works out to about 270 total in normal conditions at Calgary's elevation. It doesn't take much wind or a firm bounce to add 10-20 yards. How was the course overall that day? 

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

49 minutes ago, BMart519 said:

I don't know what the climate and course conditions are like in the fall where you play, but the courses here firmed up in September and October. I tag all my shots with Shot Scope and hit a 17 deg hybrid 260 off the tee in my last round which is 10 yards longer than my good shots and 30+ longer than average. My 95-100 MPH swing speed is good for 240-250 carry with driver which works out to about 270 total in normal conditions at Calgary's elevation. It doesn't take much wind or a firm bounce to add 10-20 yards. How was the course overall that day? 

Yeah, I hear you and I've considered that, but if anything it was cooler and a bit damp, shouldn't have been a contributing factor...

• 2 weeks later...

Back at it after a week off.  What a trip that was...drove 14 hours to visit my daughters in Tennessee, then 13 hours to attend a promotion ceremony in Louisiana, then 12 hours back to Omaha.  I don't road trip as well as I used to.

As planned, I've officially gone back to the drawing board and started with the Level 1 SuperSpeed protocol this morning, with the modification of adding Single Arm swings with the green stick only.  This time, I'll be monitoring/measuring swing speeds.

And, the gym work has been radically overhauled as of this morning.  Having achieved size/strength gains, I'm now focused heavily on power/explosiveness using complex training methods.  Today's workout was as follows:

Weighted Sled & Sprints:  300 pounds on the sled, 25 M at a marching pace, then 3 minutes rest, then 60M all out sprint.  3 total circuits (for lack of a better term)

Trap Bar Deadlifts & Overhead Med Ball Slams - 360 pound deads, 3 reps, then 3 minutes rest, then 5 all out slams.  3 total circuits

Golf Posture Cable Rotations & Med Ball Wall Throws - 50 pound rotations, 5 reps each side, 3 minutes rest, 5 throws each side.  3 total circuits

Dumbbell Incline Press & Plyo Push-Ups - 85s, 3 reps, 3 minutes rest, 5 plyo-push ups.  3 circuits

That's it.  Monday and Friday each week I'll do similar pairings (different exercises), with Wednesday focused on Shoulders, Bis & Tris, Calves, Abs, and basic "beach muscle" maintenance.

This morning was taxing but I'm still feeling it out a bit.  I have to do this as the base gym and the trap bar is not a high handle bar, so figuring out my one-rep max is a bit of a challenge.  

Hopefully with the addition of a speed-measuring device and a gym emphasis on power I'll see an uptick in the mph's soon enough.