TESTERS WANTED! ×

GolfSpy AFG’s Speed & Swing Odyssey

Wednesday's I'll be doing a basic "maintenance" workout with the simple aim of some beach muscle preservation, with the occasional smattering of "golf specific" work.  I'll post that workout below (it will vary week to week in terms of exercise selection) but I don't intend to continue the workout log style posts here...I have the distinct impression that kind of post has worn thin!

So, after a SuperSpeed C Club Level 1 workout, I knocked out the following:

- Landmine Shoulder Press - 55, reps at 8, 3

- Cable Pressdowns - 200, reps at 11, 3

- Preacher Curls - 115, reps at 8, 3

- Pinwheel Curls - 50s, reps at 8, 3

- Machine Leg Press Calves - 280, reps at 10, 2

- Standing Cable Internal Rotations - 20, 3 x 10

- Standing Cable External Rotations - 20, 3 x 10

With the weather changing and snow melting, I'm almost in a position to go and start getting some short-game practice in.  The base course is very close to my office, so 2-3 times a week I'll use my lunch hour to change and get 45 minutes of chipping and pitching practice in.  REALLY looking forward to that.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

Level 1 SuperSpeed, with green stick Single Arm work, this morning, then my second Complex Training workout that looked like this.

Squats & Box Jumps - 365 pound squats for 3 reps, 3 minutes rest then 4 box jumps.  3 total circuits

Lat Pulldown - 200 pounds for 3 reps, 3 minutes rest, then Overhead Med Slams with an 8 pound ball.  3 circuits.

Hammer Strength Wide Chest Press - 270 pounds for 3 reps, 3 minutes rest, then Med Ball Chest Slams, 8 pound ball.  3 circuits.

Golf Posture Cable Rotations - 50 for 5 reps each side, 3 minutes rest, Med Ball Wall Throws, 8 pound ball.  3 circuits.

These workouts are going to take some getting used to, which I suppose is a good thing.  Never really trained like this, which I suppose is part of the problem.  As @BMart519recommended, I am mindful of the need to measure the explosive work and did time the sprints from Monday.  I plan to sprint every Monday so I'll at least have a stop watch to make sure I'm pushing to get faster.  Measuring med ball power output is tough though...at the moment I'm resorting to trying to get the damn thing to bounce higher than the last rep.

Snow is nearly gone and some courses are opening...won't be long now for me.

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

If you're going stir crazy waiting around for 3 minute rest periods, you can do mobility work for other parts of the body during that time. You also may be able to reduce rest down to 2 minutes. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

11 minutes ago, BMart519 said:

If you're going stir crazy waiting around for 3 minute rest periods, you can do mobility work for other parts of the body during that time. You also may be able to reduce rest down to 2 minutes. 

Definitely stir crazy, although light warm up work for the next exercise scratches the itch a little bit.  Good point though, thanks.

5 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Level 1 SuperSpeed, with green stick Single Arm work, this morning, then my second Complex Training workout that looked like this.

Squats & Box Jumps - 365 pound squats for 3 reps, 3 minutes rest then 4 box jumps.  3 total circuits

Lat Pulldown - 200 pounds for 3 reps, 3 minutes rest, then Overhead Med Slams with an 8 pound ball.  3 circuits.

Hammer Strength Wide Chest Press - 270 pounds for 3 reps, 3 minutes rest, then Med Ball Chest Slams, 8 pound ball.  3 circuits.

Golf Posture Cable Rotations - 50 for 5 reps each side, 3 minutes rest, Med Ball Wall Throws, 8 pound ball.  3 circuits.

These workouts are going to take some getting used to, which I suppose is a good thing.  Never really trained like this, which I suppose is part of the problem.  As @BMart519recommended, I am mindful of the need to measure the explosive work and did time the sprints from Monday.  I plan to sprint every Monday so I'll at least have a stop watch to make sure I'm pushing to get faster.  Measuring med ball power output is tough though...at the moment I'm resorting to trying to get the damn thing to bounce higher than the last rep.

Snow is nearly gone and some courses are opening...won't be long now for me.

So whats your SS these days?

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

12 minutes ago, rbsiedsc said:

So whats your SS these days?

Honestly, I'm embarrassed to have put all the previous effort in and not have much to show for it, to the point that I don't intend to post any kind of green/blue/red statistics until they are more respectable.

Last time I got on a monitor I was consistently around 105-106 with driver, which is about a 3 mph gain.  Worth it, but not exactly what I'd hoped for and certainly not where I feel I should be.

That said, not giving up by any means.  Hoping this new training style makes a difference.

Another complex training workout today.  The plan is to have four separate workouts with unique pairings over a two week cycle, although some of the med ball and sprinting once a week will be staples.  So, my third complex workout (after the garage Level 1 work) looked like this:

Weighted Sled & Sprints:  300 pounds on the sled, 25 M at a marching pace, then 3 minutes rest, then 60M all out sprint.  3 total circuits (for lack of a better term)

T-Bar Rows & Overhead Med Ball Slams - 200 pound rows, 3 reps, then 3 minutes rest, then 5 all out slams.  3 total circuits

Hammer Strength Incline Press & Plyo Push-Ups - 270, 3 reps, 3 minutes rest, 5 plyo-push ups.  3 circuits

Golf Posture Cable Rotations & Med Ball Wall Throws - 50 pound rotations, 5 reps each side, 3 minutes rest, 5 throws each side.  3 total circuits

The sprints are proving to be touch, not so much in the workout but later in the day...my groin and hip flexors start letting me know they don't like sprints, which I suppose I should expect having not trained like that in over 20 years.  Not sure how much I should warm up for portion of the workout especially, but I suspect I didn't warm up enough.  Tight hip flexors is not a problem I want to have going forward...

9 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Weighted Sled & Sprints:  300 pounds on the sled, 25 M at a marching pace, then 3 minutes rest, then 60M all out sprint.  3 total circuits (for lack of a better term)

The sprints are proving to be touch, not so much in the workout but later in the day...my groin and hip flexors start letting me know they don't like sprints, which I suppose I should expect having not trained like that in over 20 years.  Not sure how much I should warm up for portion of the workout especially, but I suspect I didn't warm up enough.  Tight hip flexors is not a problem I want to have going forward...

- Need at least 5-10 minutes of mostly dynamic warm-up prior to sprints. You can google specific warmups for sprinting. 
- 1-2 sprints at 60-80% effort will only help for warm-up
- If you have not done max effort sprints in months, you should avoid going 100% for a couple sessions and work up through the 60-80% range and then towards full speed. 
- Hamstrings is another area to monitor, especially if spending a lot of time seated. 
- The worst part about speed training is you spend as much or more time warming up compared to "working sets"

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

Did my last complex training protocol of this 2-week cycle, or Complex Workout D, however you want to look at it.

I ended up pairing leg presses with Box Jumps, largely because I definitely tweaked the hip flexors a bit so I stayed away from the single-leg work I really want to get to...I'm 95% sure I have some strength imbalances between my right and left leg.  Once I feel fully healed and then some I'll likely drop leg presses in favor of that.

So, after a Level 1 SuperSpeed session, I did...

Leg Press, 925 pounds (yes, good ROM...I'm no half-repper), 3 reps, 3 minutes rest, then 4 box jumps.  3 total circuits

Hammer Strength Wide Pulldown, 270, 3 reps, 3 minutes rest, then 5 Med Ball Overhead Slams.  3 circuits.

Dumbbell Press, 100 pounds, 3 reps, 3 minutes rest, 5 Med Ball Chest Slams.  3 circuits.

Golf Posture Cable Rotations, 50 pounds, 5 reps (both sides) 3 minutes rest, 5 Med Ball Wall Throws.  3 circuits.

So that's the plan...I'll do these two week cycles for the next 10 weeks, take about 2 weeks off for more a maintenance "cruise" period and then get back at it.  I won't be posting anymore "here's today's workout" posts...think I've done plenty of that...but I will check back in as the temps rise here and I'm able to see how the game is doing overall after a pretty intensive offseason.

• 3 weeks later...

Still keeping at it...got out for one round so far and it was not pretty from a ball-striking standpoint, plus it was 20 mph winds and in the 40s, so I can't say I have any real feedback concerning on-course payoffs for this little experiment.  This Saturday is supposed to be great though so I'm looking forward to getting back out.

I did want to pass on that the most recent Fit for Golf podcast had really some good info, and I was particularly interested in the conclusion.  The podcast was a distance roundtable with 4 different guests, and it made it a bit hard to track who was talking when, but the podcast concluded with Mike Carroll asking each guest to recommend a speed drill that didn't rely on golf implements...basically describe an exercise.  I think it was Steve Furlonger who recommended a medicine ball drill wherein you take the ball back only to what would be shaft parallel if you had a club in your hands, feel the load into your right side, and then use entirely lower body power to explode and extend and throw the ball into the wall.  It'd be easier to follow along with a video, but I tried it this morning and I really like it...might make it a staple of the program.

• 3 weeks later...

Still at it.

This morning's workout:

Squats - 365, 3 sets of 4 reps, each set followed by 3 minutes rest and then 5 box jumps

Lat Pulldown - 200, 3 sets of 4 reps, each set followed by 3 minutes rest and then 5 Overhead Med Ball Slams (8 lb ball)

Hammer Strength Decline Press - 320, 3 sets of 3, each set followed by 3 minutes rest and then 5 Med Ball Chest Slams

Golf Posture Cable Rotation - 50, 3 sets of 5 each side, each set followed by 3 minutes rest and then 5 Med Ball Wall Throws

On the SuperSpeed front, I'm still doing Level 1 plus single arm work, and plan to eventually graduate to Level 2 and then stay there throughout the season.  However, results are mixed.  I won't post the graph here because I remain mildly embarrassed by the speeds, but I've charted my speeds from the beginning to March to date and the trendline is essentially flat.  But, on the course, I'm longer.  I only have 3 rounds under my belt so far, but I'm a solid half club longer through the bag.

One thing I have recently discovered is I'm not focusing on recovery enough.  I made it a point this week to hit pause on my wife and I'll late night binge-watching and get more sleep.  Likely as a result, every speed workout this week was faster than the previous one.

More to follow...

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, so this is going to be a pretty damn embarrassing post, but bear with me, I'll conclude on a positive note.

Anyone tracking this thread knows I spent a lot of time and energy lifting some VERY heavy weights this offseason looking to put on mass and gain speed, because Bryson.  400 pound deadlifts, 365 pound squats, etc.  You also know I did SuperSpeed work, going all the way up to Level 4, all without a radar despite the advice and counsel of forum members much smarter than I. 

When I did finally get a radar, I was astonished to find I hadn't gained any speed, and in fact, I'm quite slow. So, I resolved to go all the way back to square one...I've been doing Level 1, with some additional single arm work, and a C Club workout on Wednesday.  

Again, I'm embarrassed to post how slow these are, especially after all that work, but more to follow.  (Each data point is the high speed of the 3 swings in each set.)

First, the Level 1 progress:

Untitled.png.0dea7c6de448171cff0ebdfc5788a7ba.png

Here's the C Club data:

1454857754_Untitled2.png.266ff41d9b0eb5cb136e3b6fdbafcf8b.png

I know, slow huh?  But, a couple things stand out to me:

- Having already done so much SuperSpeed work but without the device, it's very hard to know where and when to expect the "jump" that SuperSpeed discusses.  That said, as you can see, I inserted a little trendline, and over the course of 8 weeks (plus this morning's workout), there is a slight but perceptible increase across the board.  I'll take it provided it continues.

- I ran the mile and some cross country in high school and a few years of college, then started "bro-split" style lifting in college and have been ever since.  Point is, I have NEVER trained for power and explosiveness and it shows.  Not to sound like a jack@ss, but I'm strong as an ox, I'm just as slow as one too!  Coinciding with going back to Level 1, I adopted an entirely new training split that I've documented here focused on concentric training with sprints, jumps, med ball work, etc.  I'm confident this training emphasis on power will help and already is.

- All of this SuperSpeed work is done at 4:30 in the morning in my garage before getting to the gym.  I'm probably not wide awake, and I do my best to warm up but probably with varied effectiveness.  Since getting on the course this year, I've hit multiple 290-300 yard drives that would appear to be faster than these numbers.  I know, wind, temperature, slope of fairway...tons of factors there, but the point is I know I'm gaining speed.  I am seeing 3-5 more yards per iron across the bag as well.  (Haven't had a chance to really dial that at a range yet.)

So, I'll keep at it and post another update here eventually.  I may jump to Level 2 at the prescribed time, although part of me is considering staying at Level 1 until the season is over.

35 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Alright, so this is going to be a pretty damn embarrassing post, but bear with me, I'll conclude on a positive note.

Anyone tracking this thread knows I spent a lot of time and energy lifting some VERY heavy weights this offseason looking to put on mass and gain speed, because Bryson.  400 pound deadlifts, 365 pound squats, etc.  You also know I did SuperSpeed work, going all the way up to Level 4, all without a radar despite the advice and counsel of forum members much smarter than I. 

When I did finally get a radar, I was astonished to find I hadn't gained any speed, and in fact, I'm quite slow. So, I resolved to go all the way back to square one...I've been doing Level 1, with some additional single arm work, and a C Club workout on Wednesday.  

Again, I'm embarrassed to post how slow these are, especially after all that work, but more to follow.  (Each data point is the high speed of the 3 swings in each set.)

First, the Level 1 progress:

Untitled.png.0dea7c6de448171cff0ebdfc5788a7ba.png

Here's the C Club data:

1454857754_Untitled2.png.266ff41d9b0eb5cb136e3b6fdbafcf8b.png

I know, slow huh?  But, a couple things stand out to me:

- Having already done so much SuperSpeed work but without the device, it's very hard to know where and when to expect the "jump" that SuperSpeed discusses.  That said, as you can see, I inserted a little trendline, and over the course of 8 weeks (plus this morning's workout), there is a slight but perceptible increase across the board.  I'll take it provided it continues.

- I ran the mile and some cross country in high school and a few years of college, then started "bro-split" style lifting in college and have been ever since.  Point is, I have NEVER trained for power and explosiveness and it shows.  Not to sound like a jack@ss, but I'm strong as an ox, I'm just as slow as one too!  Coinciding with going back to Level 1, I adopted an entirely new training split that I've documented here focused on concentric training with sprints, jumps, med ball work, etc.  I'm confident this training emphasis on power will help and already is.

- All of this SuperSpeed work is done at 4:30 in the morning in my garage before getting to the gym.  I'm probably not wide awake, and I do my best to warm up but probably with varied effectiveness.  Since getting on the course this year, I've hit multiple 290-300 yard drives that would appear to be faster than these numbers.  I know, wind, temperature, slope of fairway...tons of factors there, but the point is I know I'm gaining speed.  I am seeing 3-5 more yards per iron across the bag as well.  (Haven't had a chance to really dial that at a range yet.)

So, I'll keep at it and post another update here eventually.  I may jump to Level 2 at the prescribed time, although part of me is considering staying at Level 1 until the season is over.

It does seem like the progress is coming along slowly but surely and I know the changes would help. I really would not discount the early and possible colder sessions compared to a round. I have done early sessions and evening training and can see upwards of a 5 mph difference especially with the red stick. Keep up the hard work.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

5mph is a realistic minimum speed below your max at any given time based on: warm up, temperature, residual fatigue from golf, workouts, etc. And day to day variance of your swing and flexibility. You’re already fast, relatively speaking. Big gains will be a challenge. 

Seeing your SS numbers above highlights a nice benefit of the Stack app to log and average all this info by session as well. 

I would add 5 driver swings without a ball after each SS session and log those speeds. As well as 5 with a ball to get a better feel of potential max speed on the course. 

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

• 1 month later...

Continuing to grind away in the gym, for the most part.  I've posted about it elsewhere but I've been hit hard with a case of golfer's elbow, which I never would have expected with all my strength training work.  I've been doing SuperSpeed and Orange Whip drills on top of 1-2 rounds per week...I honestly think the contributing "overuse" that caused the injury is playing catch and drill work as assistant coach on my son's traveling baseball team.  I haven't played any significant baseball in literally decades, now I'm throwing nearly every day.

I've been icing, stretching, using a massage gun, and CBD cream, and after an all wedge session at the range last night to try it out (with a compression sleeve on), I felt comfortable hitting the gym today.

I continue to see modest improvements on SuperSpeed numbers...the trend line continues to creep up; I'll post final charts for the Level 1 protocols in a few weeks once I've completed them.

And, some of my lifts are getting stronger.  Got this for 3 sets of 4 squat reps today (with box jumps as contrast training after each squat set):

Squats.jpg.3e85a61449bc40e18a7c28ee9ae99047.jpg

No, not "ass to grass", but parallel.  If you follow Bill Miller or Mike Carroll you'll know they question the utility and applicability to golf of squatting past parallel.  (hopefully that's me being smart about my training rather than rationalizing a way to avoid taking them deeper!)

4 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Continuing to grind away in the gym, for the most part.  I've posted about it elsewhere but I've been hit hard with a case of golfer's elbow, which I never would have expected with all my strength training work.  I've been doing SuperSpeed and Orange Whip drills on top of 1-2 rounds per week...I honestly think the contributing "overuse" that caused the injury is playing catch and drill work as assistant coach on my son's traveling baseball team.  I haven't played any significant baseball in literally decades, now I'm throwing nearly every day.

I've been icing, stretching, using a massage gun, and CBD cream, and after an all wedge session at the range last night to try it out (with a compression sleeve on), I felt comfortable hitting the gym today.

I continue to see modest improvements on SuperSpeed numbers...the trend line continues to creep up; I'll post final charts for the Level 1 protocols in a few weeks once I've completed them.

And, some of my lifts are getting stronger.  Got this for 3 sets of 4 squat reps today (with box jumps as contrast training after each squat set):

Squats.jpg.3e85a61449bc40e18a7c28ee9ae99047.jpg

No, not "ass to grass", but parallel.  If you follow Bill Miller or Mike Carroll you'll know they question the utility and applicability to golf of squatting past parallel.  (hopefully that's me being smart about my training rather than rationalizing a way to avoid taking them deeper!)

Dude throwing after long periods of time not throwing ALWAYS jacks up my elbow now. throw that sucker in an ice bath!

Nice weight there, my legs would be screaming at me and wouldnt let me walk next day!

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

• 4 weeks later...

Did my last SuperSpeed Level 1 workout this morning.  I have a C Club workout to do Wednesday, and then it will be a 2-week shutdown while I head back east to see family in PA.

Truth be told, I need the rest, and I'm hopeful I'll be able to use that 2-week stretch to heal up my elbow.  I've felt it doing SuperSpeed and at the gym, despite wearing a compression sleeve for both, and I won't cop out and blame it for the training stalling a bit, but it is hard to go all out worrying about pain.  To throw another excuse out there, my overall diet and conditioning have suffered a bit...too many awesome shandy's and summer ale's available right now!

In any event, here's my "final" progress tracker for Level 1.  (Some of the data point fields are cut off...can only fit so much in the snip.)

image.png.9700c162267a241e3418fdaafa4e2c9d.png

Rather than a jump I'm seeing slow incremental improvement.  Again, I know these are pretty slow overall, but with no speed/power training background I'm actually encouraged...at the end of the day a slow and steadily climbing trendline is all I care about seeing, and is enough for me to stay motivated.

And, I did get on a GC Quad and hit driver at the end of my iron fitting last week, and I averaged 106, and touched 108.  That's a big improvement for me...very excited to get back from this upcoming trip, do a tune-up week of Level 1, and dive into Level 2!

4 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Did my last SuperSpeed Level 1 workout this morning.  I have a C Club workout to do Wednesday, and then it will be a 2-week shutdown while I head back east to see family in PA.

Truth be told, I need the rest, and I'm hopeful I'll be able to use that 2-week stretch to heal up my elbow.  I've felt it doing SuperSpeed and at the gym, despite wearing a compression sleeve for both, and I won't cop out and blame it for the training stalling a bit, but it is hard to go all out worrying about pain.  To throw another excuse out there, my overall diet and conditioning have suffered a bit...too many awesome shandy's and summer ale's available right now!

In any event, here's my "final" progress tracker for Level 1.  (Some of the data point fields are cut off...can only fit so much in the snip.)

image.png.9700c162267a241e3418fdaafa4e2c9d.png

Rather than a jump I'm seeing slow incremental improvement.  Again, I know these are pretty slow overall, but with no speed/power training background I'm actually encouraged...at the end of the day a slow and steadily climbing trendline is all I care about seeing, and is enough for me to stay motivated.

And, I did get on a GC Quad and hit driver at the end of my iron fitting last week, and I averaged 106, and touched 108.  That's a big improvement for me...very excited to get back from this upcoming trip, do a tune-up week of Level 1, and dive into Level 2!

This is great progress and way to stick with it. Hopefully another jump comes for you when you get back to it.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

Completed my last Level 1 C Club workout this morning.

The C Club prescription from SuperSpeed is actually for only 6 weeks, whereas I did 12 weeks of one workout every Wednesday, Monday and Friday being reserved for standard SuperSpeed Level 1 training.

Again, I know/feel I should be much faster than these speeds reflect, but I have zero power/speed training background so as long as I continue to see progress I'm okay.  In this case, I saw definite improvement:

image.png.69449e5a78aa9d03d74f884becaf5871.png

Much steeper trendline that the standard workouts.  As compared to my lowest speeds from early in the training, I saw a 19 mph gain in my max out speed, a 21 mph gain in the narrow swings, and a 16 mph gain in the step change swings.

Overall, I need to redouble my efforts at eating right, recovering and getting enough sleep, etc.  But, I'm excited for the progress and looking forward to Level 2.

• 4 weeks later...

With the family trips and brief golf trip behind me, I'm excited to dive back into the training.  Golfer's elbow continues to be a challenge, but a compression sleeve and ice are helping, along with my new Steelfiber shafts.  Programming more complex training, and Level 2 SuperSpeed.

Anyway, for anyone interested, a new blog post from an interview with Bill Miller just showed on Simplifaster.com:

Rotational Power Development with Bill Miller (simplifaster.com)

• 3 weeks later...

Training continues!  I've gotten to a point that my golfer's elbow issue is slowly improving; I spend a lot of time with the massage gun on it, and can now train fully, and play, with the compression sleeve on with no real issues.  It's definitely still there, but manageable, and it is very slowly recovering.

After several trips home, planned and unplanned, I'm back to my complex training program and have begun Level 2 SuperSpeed.  Unfortunately I have another trip to Colorado coming up that will force a week off, although I may pack the C Club and deal with the eye rolls from the wife...we'll see.  Come September I'll finally be able to link several months together of training without interruption.

Biggest irritation now is a need for a better radar....I have the gray and blue Swing Speed Radar and I'm convinced it's junk.  This morning I had readings that were literally 30 mph apart from each other.  Next week I plan to go pick up an SC200 Plus to address that issue.  

Not much detail here, just wanted to share that I'm still at it!  I did hit a couple 300 yarders in my last round, so the hard work is paying off!

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm still struggling to get back on the rails consistently with my training.  I took a 2 week trip to see family, then another week-long trip due to a family emergency, and now I'm out of town all next week.  I can tell you, in my case anyway, that the speed training results can fall off a bit if you don't stay with it...only this week (third week in a row) did I get back to the speeds I was peaking at in Level 1.  Same goes for the weights in my lifts.  For this upcoming trip I intend to do some bodyweight maintenance work in the hotels and hopefully retain where I'm at...I would hope just 1 week away from the speed training won't be too detrimental.

I did have a bit of a breakthrough in terms of my training plans, now and into the future.  Being a little self-conscious I've been leery of doing the speed work in public, but after reading @Lacassem describe strapping on his PlaneMate at the range I finally manned up and just took the speed sticks and radar to the gym.  The other reason was because I wanted to see if the radar would work more consistently in a wide open space like the gym versus a garage stall, and it did...didn't miss a reading, whereas in the garage it was all over the place.  

Up to this point, my routine had been to do the SuperSpeed prescribed warm-up, add in a little Orange Whip, and then do the protocols in my garage.  For the last two workouts, I've taken the radar and sticks to the gym and completed a far more thorough warm-up, and the results have shown.  Won't get into the raw numbers, but reached new highs on multiple Level 2 swings today, sometimes by 3-4 mph.  Granted, I'm doing this at 4 in the morning so there aren't many people there to witness this anyway, but I'm very excited to have this option available for winter training.

One thing I am wondering, and I'm hoping I can get @BMart519or @Chip Strokesto chime in, is I've been doing this Complex/Potentiation Training routine for basically 4-5 months now...Weighted Sleds, rest, then Sprints, Squats, rest, then box jumps, etc.  I was thinking for varieties sake I would move away from that routine for basically 10 weeks in the offseason to a more traditional hypertrophy workout, while still doing the explosive sprints, jumps, and med ball work at the beginning of those workouts, and then get back to the complex training come January.  Thoughts?  Or if I'm seeing speed gains do you see any harm in just keeping with what I'm doing?

Not looking forward to this coming week off, but already excited to get after it once I'm back!

7 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

So I'm still struggling to get back on the rails consistently with my training.  I took a 2 week trip to see family, then another week-long trip due to a family emergency, and now I'm out of town all next week.  I can tell you, in my case anyway, that the speed training results can fall off a bit if you don't stay with it...only this week (third week in a row) did I get back to the speeds I was peaking at in Level 1.  Same goes for the weights in my lifts.  For this upcoming trip I intend to do some bodyweight maintenance work in the hotels and hopefully retain where I'm at...I would hope just 1 week away from the speed training won't be too detrimental.

I did have a bit of a breakthrough in terms of my training plans, now and into the future.  Being a little self-conscious I've been leery of doing the speed work in public, but after reading @Lacassem describe strapping on his PlaneMate at the range I finally manned up and just took the speed sticks and radar to the gym.  The other reason was because I wanted to see if the radar would work more consistently in a wide open space like the gym versus a garage stall, and it did...didn't miss a reading, whereas in the garage it was all over the place.  

Up to this point, my routine had been to do the SuperSpeed prescribed warm-up, add in a little Orange Whip, and then do the protocols in my garage.  For the last two workouts, I've taken the radar and sticks to the gym and completed a far more thorough warm-up, and the results have shown.  Won't get into the raw numbers, but reached new highs on multiple Level 2 swings today, sometimes by 3-4 mph.  Granted, I'm doing this at 4 in the morning so there aren't many people there to witness this anyway, but I'm very excited to have this option available for winter training.

One thing I am wondering, and I'm hoping I can get @BMart519or @Chip Strokesto chime in, is I've been doing this Complex/Potentiation Training routine for basically 4-5 months now...Weighted Sleds, rest, then Sprints, Squats, rest, then box jumps, etc.  I was thinking for varieties sake I would move away from that routine for basically 10 weeks in the offseason to a more traditional hypertrophy workout, while still doing the explosive sprints, jumps, and med ball work at the beginning of those workouts, and then get back to the complex training come January.  Thoughts?  Or if I'm seeing speed gains do you see any harm in just keeping with what I'm doing?

Not looking forward to this coming week off, but already excited to get after it once I'm back!

Time off is tough and its brutal to get back into a groove. I cannot speak to the speed training but I thoroughly enjoy having the planemate on at the range. It looks goofy but screw em its helped for sure. I have not been to the range in several weeks but hitting a ball with the planemate is just a totally different experience!  Did anyone ask you what the speed sticks were?

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

Just now, Lacassem said:

Time off is tough and its brutal to get back into a groove. I cannot speak to the speed training but I thoroughly enjoy having the planemate on at the range. It looks goofy but screw em its helped for sure. I have not been to the range in several weeks but hitting a ball with the planemate is just a totally different experience!  Did anyone ask you what the speed sticks were?

Nope.  There was one usual early-bird Crossfit girl that definitely gave me some eyebrow-raised looks, but at that time in the morning I probably just come across as really dedicated rather than weird.  It must look like quite the setup though...radar on the ground, two white golf gloves on (Mike Carroll recommends two gloves and he's right...gym doesn't have HVAC...)and swinging out of my shoes, kneeling swings, step-change swings...

You also inspired me on the range...have been using my TourStriker SmartBall last couple sessions.  I'm pretty sure it generates a smirk or two, but I'm also sure the smirk disappears after you stripe a few.

6 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Nope.  There was one usual early-bird Crossfit girl that definitely gave me some eyebrow-raised looks, but at that time in the morning I probably just come across as really dedicated rather than weird.  It must look like quite the setup though...radar on the ground, two white golf gloves on (Mike Carroll recommends two gloves and he's right...gym doesn't have HVAC...)and swinging out of my shoes, kneeling swings, step-change swings...

You also inspired me on the range...have been using my TourStriker SmartBall last couple sessions.  I'm pretty sure it generates a smirk or two, but I'm also sure the smirk disappears after you stripe a few.

I mean if you aren't hitting the ball how do you know you're doing it right? Same with the gym, feel like you probably go a little harder in the gym no?

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

2 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Have you updated the radar yet?

No.  I bought an SC200+ but was thoroughly unimpressed with it so I returned it and am still using the blue/gray Swing Speed radar.  Honestly once I got it into the the gym it seems to work a lot better for me.  I'd like to pick up a PRGR but I've got other spending priorities...new wedges, maybe a Ventus Blue, some GolfTec lessons...the list always goes on and on doesn't it?  🤣

1 minute ago, Lacassem said:

I mean if you aren't hitting the ball how do you know you're doing it right? Same with the gym, feel like you probably go a little harder in the gym no?

Yes, absolutely.  Doesn't hurt that the full dose of pre-workout is kicking in too!  

3 minutes ago, Shankster said:

I wonder what the best option for the radar is.  I mean I think it is a necessity for speed training, without the feedback how do we see our hard work pay off.

Mine is acting funny too.  That or I’m 15mph slower in a day…

I have really liked the PRGR, the speed are pretty consistent (almost never get speeds that jump around) and after a couple GC Quad sessions seems to be pretty accurate the PRGR might read a couple MPH too fast but that's it. Really impressed at it for only a couple hundred dollar unit.