TESTERS WANTED! ×

Re-shafting driver

Bcrary3

Hello all, 

I'm pretty new to this and I'm looking to replace the stock shaft on my Taylormade Rbz driver (HL version). Just wanting to clarify a few things and maybe some recommendations-

Firstly, I want to confirm that I need a .335 shaft tip for the adapter sleeve, correct? 

Secondly, I have a stock XCON5 R flex shaft on the club and I hit it fairly well, about 150-180 yards and am looking for a shaft that may help with a bit of extra distance and control. I do play with a bit of a fade (on a great shot and can play for it) but sometimes I've got a bit of a slice. Any suggestions on shafts that may help with a bit of extra distance but more importantly more control? 

Edit- I'd like to keep the cost as low as possible with a max budget of $100.00

Thanks 

Edited by Bcrary3

Welcome to MGS forums!!

First, the RBZ driver shaft is .350, not .335.  Not many options for .350 driver shafts anymore.  I believe you can still get adapters that will take a .335 shaft.  Don't quote me though.

Second, the Matrix shafts in the RBZ were pretty good for graphite shafts in 2012.  I am still using the RBZ 3HL and hybrids.  The problem as I see it is that the RBZ, while a good driver, is giving up yards to today's drivers because they are better on mishits.  Given your distance numbers, I believe that you would gain more distance with a driver from the last couple of years rather than reshafting of your driver, but you must get a driver that fits your swing speed and characteristics.  A regular flex shaft, and certainly one from 2012, should be used when your swing speed is around 85-95 mph and a driver distance around 200-230 yards.  An A-flex or senior shaft would be a better fit than a regular flex, possibly even an L-flex if your swing speed is below 70 mph, but that should be determined by a qualified fitter.

It's difficult to give specifics without swing data but you may be able to pick up more yards by making better contact with the ball.  Talk to your local PGA pro or invest in a series of lessons.  Improving ball contact will give you the most bang for your buck.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Thanks for the info! 

I guess I was mostly just confused on the tip size because I figured the adapter would be the same for all taylormade heads? 

I am thinking an A flex may be my best bet, but perhaps something a bit heavier than 45g.

Taylormade during those years were different.   Most were .350,  except for the tp which was .335.

for 100.00 you might be able to find an old 2016 m2.  That would be a rocket launcher. 

Driver: Taylormade SIM Max d 9 with graphite design tour ad xc 6s

Fairway Wood:Taylormade Sim 15 with Graphite design Tour ad iz 6s
Hybrid:  Pxg gen2 19 with hand crafted hzrdus black 85 6.0 and Adams super ls xtd 22 with Diamana s+  stiff

Irons: 5-pw Miura Mc501 with modus 120s pured

Wedges:  Callaway md2 gold 50 Dg tour issue s400 black onyx, Taylormade MG 54 with DG tour issue s400 black onyx, and Taylormade hi toe 59 with modus 120r

15 hours ago, Bcrary3 said:

Thanks for the info! 

I guess I was mostly just confused on the tip size because I figured the adapter would be the same for all taylormade heads? 

I am thinking an A flex may be my best bet, but perhaps something a bit heavier than 45g.

Generally, lighter shafts allow you to swing faster than heavier shafts, but that depends on how you swing the club.  That's where a fitter can help; better than guessing.

If you still want to try a different shaft, Golfworks has the shaft adapter for RBZ for $4.99 that will take a .335 shaft.  

https://www.golfworks.com/taylormade-rbz-shaft-adaptor-sleeve/p/tm0017/

You can also order a shaft at the same time.  For a separate fee they will assemble it for you.  You can ask them questions about which shaft would be a good fit but they will want your swing speed.  The UST Recoil shafts are quite good.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Just ordered one of those adapters, was marked down to 0.99 cents! 

I'll give that a try and see what happens. But I suppose it's time to get something a bit newer. Next week I'll be paying a visit to the local golf shop and find out what my swing speed is for sure. 

Also really like the looks of the M2's so if I can find a good price on one of those I'll definitely pick one up. 

2 hours ago, Bcrary3 said:

Just ordered one of those adapters, was marked down to 0.99 cents! 

I'll give that a try and see what happens. But I suppose it's time to get something a bit newer. Next week I'll be paying a visit to the local golf shop and find out what my swing speed is for sure. 

Also really like the looks of the M2's so if I can find a good price on one of those I'll definitely pick one up. 

Sometimes it's fun to experiment.  Your golf shop should be able to give you swing speed and if they have a launch monitor, they can give you other information about your swing that will be useful in selecting equipment.  They may not have used equipment like the M2, but you could ask. They will be pushing the new equipment.  You can demo several drivers and find one that gives the best numbers and feels the best.  Don't judge specifically based on looks.  When you find the best one, you can also search online for a used model with the same specifications as the one you liked.  Best of luck!!

• 2 weeks later...