Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

Course impact on GHIN for Index

tony@CIC

How does the course/tee box impact your index on GHIN. My score doesn't seem to be impacted whether I play a course with a 115 or 123 slope rating. When I enter my score, I do select the proper course and tee box.  Just wondering.  

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

11 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

How does the course/tee box impact your index on GHIN. My score doesn't seem to be impacted whether I play a course with a 115 or 123 slope rating. When I enter my score, I do select the proper course and tee box.  Just wondering.  

You can read about calculation of Score Differential and Handicap Index in Section 5.1 here:

https://www.usga.org/handicapping/roh/2020-rules-of-handicapping.html

The equation is 

Score Differential    =    (113 ÷Slope Rating)    x    (adjusted gross score – Course Rating – PCC adjustment)

Your Handicap Index is the average of the best 8 Differentials from the most recent 20.  

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

3 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

You can read about calculation of Score Differential and Handicap Index in Section 5.1 here:

https://www.usga.org/handicapping/roh/2020-rules-of-handicapping.html

The equation is 

Score Differential    =    (113 ÷Slope Rating)    x    (adjusted gross score – Course Rating – PCC adjustment)

Your Handicap Index is the average of the best 8 Differentials from the most recent 20.  

thx

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

4 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

The way my course is laid out for the Blue tees (6068y and slope 127) vs the White tees (5418y and slope 113), I generally shoot the same scores.  I can't reach the par 5's in two shots from either tee.  One par 4 is easier to get to the green in two shots from the White tee, and one par 3 from the White tee is a mid-iron shot vs a hybrid or FW from the Blue tee.  As a result, posting my usual scores from the White tees increases my index by a couple of shots over posting my usual scores from the Blue tees.  Although there is over a 600 yard difference, playing from the White tees doesn't feel any easier, and my scores show it.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

10 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

The way my course is laid out for the Blue tees (6068y and slope 127) vs the White tees (5418y and slope 113), I generally shoot the same scores.  I can't reach the par 5's in two shots from either tee.  One par 4 is easier to get to the green in two shots from the White tee, and one par 3 from the White tee is a mid-iron shot vs a hybrid or FW from the Blue tee.  As a result, posting my usual scores from the White tees increases my index by a couple of shots over posting my usual scores from the Blue tees.  Although there is over a 600 yard difference, playing from the White tees doesn't feel any easier, and my scores show it.

This is one of the difficulties of rating courses, the same factors impact different players differently.  An increase of 600 yards would mean having no chance of reaching 4 or 5 or 6 greens in regulation for a shorter player, but might have a much smaller impact on someone who hits it longer.  I think the current rating system works OK in general, but I know there are some "inconsistencies" for many individuals.  I don't know that there's a significantly better way to do things, to make it more "right" for more players.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

50 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

This is one of the difficulties of rating courses, the same factors impact different players differently.  An increase of 600 yards would mean having no chance of reaching 4 or 5 or 6 greens in regulation for a shorter player, but might have a much smaller impact on someone who hits it longer.  I think the current rating system works OK in general, but I know there are some "inconsistencies" for many individuals.  I don't know that there's a significantly better way to do things, to make it more "right" for more players.

I pretty much fit the USGA definition of a "bogey golfer" for distance.  With no wind and a decent swing, I can reach all greens in regulation from our Blue tees.  

While I think the rating system is reasonable in most cases, playing from the White tees does not necessarily mean an easier next shot than from the Blue tees.  In some cases the difference is a layup short of a penalty area with a different club.  In other cases it is a partial wedge shot to the green instead of a full wedge shot.  

I would like to think that moving up 600 yards would be more fun and something I should do as I got older.  However, it appears that the rating system for my course is more advantageous for my game from the Blue tees than moving up to the White tees, even though I'm hitting a lot of long clubs.  So, I keep trying to increase distance and improve my game to keep playing from the Blues.  The alternative is to change courses to one that better suits my game.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I've noticed that, or at least feel, I should always play the highest rated set of tees possible. I've noticed that even if my score is higher the higher slope and rating effect my index less. I've not broke 80 this month, but my index hasn't gone up.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star