2020 Official Member Review: Ping Heppler putter

StrokerAce

ping_heppler_putter_std-01.jpg

• machined
  • solid face
  • impact feel and sound
  • accuracy
  • consistency

...all words golfers like to see when considering a putter and Ping brings these to you with their new Heppler line, packaged in a black chrome shaft and a stunning copper and black finish.

join me as we follow along with these members while they test and review the new Ping putters:

@Shapotomous - Fetch Review
@MadMex - Piper-C Review
@Alf. S - Floki Review
@MyWifesSwingCoach - Tomcat Review

and testing from the MGS staff:
@GolfSpy STUDque - Ketsch

Also, don't miss @GolfSpy Dave's review - https://mygolfspy.com/ping-heppler-putter-review/

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

The Review 10/1/20 – 10/28/20

Ping Heppler Fetch – Official MGS Forum Review by Shapotomous

I was really happy to be chosen as a Heppler putter reviewer by MGS.  I have a collection of putters, mostly vintage Ping or Bullseye or TPM, but also a few newer Odyssey’s and the most recent gamer was a SeeMore FGP.  I was never fit for a putter but just rotate through whatever model fits my eye, feels good and is ‘hot’ in practice.  They all seem to work about the same, some with a stronger trend toward my usual push miss than others.  I also have a 12 x 24 putting green in the backyard that is great stress relief and gets a lot of play.  For me it was a better use of “splurge money” than a Harley or boat would have been.

20200924_093835.jpg.e3ec0e5144e902727a7322c010d78c00.jpg

I started playing back in the early ‘70’s.  I was very lucky to work at a country club & for about 6 years I got to hit a ton of range balls, spend hours on the practice green, play evenings and get lots of instruction from the asst pros…..all for free!!  Best job there was for a golf nut!! 

My handicap has always ranged from a 5 – 7.  When I was a young punk putting saved my scores as I took chances that were fun but generally were low percentage.  The handicap has stayed roughly the same through the years but the gradual shift in my game currently has putting as my weak point.   

First Impressions of the Ping Heppler Fetch!!

My right out of the box impression of the Fetch is the look is not ‘busy’ and being more used to playing blades, the head size is not too big.  I like the copper / black color scheme and the black shaft also looks good.  

20201001_195832.jpg.9f44124bf6c7ac901caac102d437e6c7.jpg

It sits square to my eye and also to the grid pattern on the kitchen floor.  It feels heavier than most putters I use.  Some comparison data on that later. 

20201001_201320.jpg.2eee28a22e6f223e9788fde9440ef1ed.jpg

I am a gadget guy and tinkerer, so the adjustable length with an included small tool that fits in the end of the grip is really cool to me.  Simply turning the tool easily adjusts the length shorter or longer.  There are marks on the back side of the shaft to give you a reference on how far you are moving it.  There is also a vertical straight line reference mark on the shaft I suppose is there to help align a grip if you change it.

20201001_195329.jpg.adf3f988357cdb54ea65f234a94e9c4d.jpg 

The sight lines on the back of the Fetch look good to me.  One of my putting issues is alignment so I hoped these would help me get the ball rolling on the correct path.  The hole in the back to lift the ball is not distracting to me, my eye goes to the lines not the hole.  The hole works as intended “Fetch”ing the ball up easily either from the putting surface or in the hole since the Fetch is sized to fit in the hole. 

20201001_203629.jpg.40e41aa5bb5bbf1050b6e7dbc2d6eac1.jpg 

Grading Section
Looks (9 out of 10 points)

I have always been a blade style player but recently began trying a few mallets.  I like this mallet size, shape and the sight lines on the back.  It is not too big to my eye, some of the mallets are so large as to look like garden tools rather than putters!  The color scheme you see when addressing the ball is not distracting and does not reflect the sun in an annoying way.  The black shaft adds to the color scheme nicely.  The putter sets up square and my hands feel like they are at a good spot.  The shaft bend at the hosel is graceful and not too angular.

I don’t think it comes across as too flashy like some mallets.  The shape and color scheme are simpler to me when compared to a Teron or a Spider.  The face is solid & smooth, there are no milling marks.

20201001_203610.jpg.27be8cce6b89b3d877d63eda141fbecb.jpg 

Sound & Feel (8 out of 10 points)

The Fetch has a nice firm feel to it as the ball comes off the face.  It definitely meets my preference for a firmer hit over an insert style.  It has a heavier feel to it as you make the stroke.  I have added lead tape to other putters to get a similar feel this putter has out of the box.  For comparison I measured the overall weight and swingweight on a scale to other putters (vintage Anser, Spider, Teron, Seemore FGP).  The only one with a heavier swingweight was the Teron which has a good bit of lead tape on it.  The 20oz overall weight of the Fetch was the heaviest by at least 2 oz. over the lead taped Teron and by 4oz over the others.

The sound off the face is a solid click on good hits, the videos posted below picked up some of the sound.  It has a noticeable higher pitch difference on toe / heel hits.  You get immediate sound feedback on a mishit in addition to a slightly different feel in your hands.

The grip (PP59) is a pistol style that feels softer & slightly larger than other classic pistol grips I have used, though it is not as big as other midsize grips.  With the softer grip I was using a lighter grip pressure which I think helps me with distance control.

20201001_195923.jpg.b79766c8ad895cbe50c04be422952603.jpg 

Basic Characteristics (16 out of 20 points)

To prepare for the Heppler Fetch review, I marked out the straight putt spot for 5, 10, 15 & 20 footers on the backyard green.  I think these straight line putts can be used to see how repeatedly I align the putter and how consistent I am on distance control.  I have used it a lot doing putting drills in the backyard from the different distances as well as regular use on the course. 

15 footers….

The ball comes off the face with consistent speed.  The solid face works well for me.  I have issues getting that consistency with an insert putter since I probably mishit the ball just a little.  If you’ve seen pics of Tiger’s putter and the dime sized wear mark….well if I gamed the same putter long enough my wear marks apparently would NOT be dime sized! 

I tried some heel and toe hits to see the effect and for my stroke, I had to get real far toward the toe or heel to see an obvious impact.  I suppose that is due to the weight of the Fetch.  There was more impact to distance than to the line on these mishits and the heel hit was more forgiving than the toe hit.  I did not see a difference on slight mishits toward the heel or toe.

The putter is heavy enough that I feel I am able to get the back stroke started and let it swing itself through the ball.  With that type stroke I am less ‘handsy’ with it & don’t ‘pop’ it at impact to get distance on longer putts.  My stroke feels very stable and ‘on line’ going back compared to the lighter putters.  The out of the box heavier weight feeling good to me is consistent with my experimentation in the past and how I end up lead taping other putters.  I get the weight I need and I don’t have to ugly up the putter!!! 

However, the weight was a negative for a few other players that also tried the putter.  Their preference is for a lighter putter (mostly blade users) and they immediately noticed the weight and didn’t like that feel. 

Because of the stability of the stroke, I was very consistent with the direction of the putts. The line of the 5’ers were within the cup.  My tendency is to miss right and in early usage you could see it showing up on the longer putts, like about 2” on the 15’ers.  Because of this stroke consistency I was able to work on getting my head in the correct position for my vision to get the putt on line.  Once I moved so my eyes weren’t directly over the ball the line of the putts moved left toward the cup.  I had worked on this before but I think was too handsy & inconsistent with my stroke to get consistent results from any eye position changes.

5 footers…

The backyard green is very flat with only a few subtle breaks that have developed over the years.  They are not visible to ‘read’ you just have to know it’s there and play for the break from that angle of approach.  So I will reserve how it plays for me on breaking putts until the on course performance. 

The adjustable length is really, really nice.  It came at 34” as requested (as well as 2* flat). 

After experimenting with the length, extending it and shortening it, I settled on 33-3/4”.  Being able to do this immediately with a simple turn of the wrench is fantastic.  Hit some putts, adjust the length, hit more putts and decide on the feel and results of the putts- all within 30 seconds. 

10’ers……

On-Course Performance (27 out of 30 points)

Overall my consistency putting the intended line has improved with the Fetch due to the alignment lines as well as the heavier weight and me using a less ‘handsy’ stroke.  This lets me know if I missed a putt it was either a read or speed problem which I can then adjust as the round continues.  A recent round I was missing on the high side for the first few holes but had enough confidence in my line and stroke to know I wasn’t pushing or pulling putts.  I could adjust to play less break than I was reading and the ball started finding the hole. 

One issue came up a couple times while putting from the back edge of the fringe or just off the fringe in the heavier grass.  If the grass was clumpy it sometimes seemed to catch the back edge of the hole when I tried it for those type shots.  Unlike a hybrid with the wider smooth sole, the hole design has an edge where the grass could catch the club on the way through the grass.  It didn’t happen all the time but I will probably continue to use the hybrid for those kind of shots.

As I mentioned, the simple adjustable length is terrific.  For someone like myself that needs a shorter putter it’s really nice to not have to go through the grip removal / tube cutter  process.  Once I would do that to a putter if I’d ever want to sell it I’d have to add an extension to get it back to standard length for someone to be interested in buying it. 

For the next generation it would be really nice to have a lie angle adjustment capability.  Some kind of a cam design on a hosel adapter like some drivers have to give 2 – 3 degrees of upright to flat adjustability. 

Miscellaneous (10 out of 10 points)

The headcover looks sharp and I like the magnetic clip rather than a velcro style. 

20201001_195809.jpg.74c17bdd34d4ac1b2a0d96fe843dda13.jpg

I thought the Fetch arrived very quickly after I was chosen to be a tester, arriving within 2 days of the first tester getting theirs. Since I had requested a 2* flat putter I thought it might be a longer delivery time for that adjustment.  They sent along a nice spec sheet with it.

20201001_161432.jpg.1082912805ebb5aee8e50dc03758f10e.jpg

I got more than a few comments from other players that liked the color scheme.  I could not see any blemishes in the finish upon a very close inspection of the head.

Play it or Trade it? (20 out of 20 points)

The Fetch is staying in the bag as the gamer.  It has helped me on longer lag putts, I am getting the ball within 3’ consistently.  I am better getting putts on the intended line so it has also helped with shorter putts too.  I have a lot more confidence I will get the ball within tap in distance on 30+ footers.  I also have more confidence in my stroke on the shorter putts.

Conclusion

This putter test was a great exercise for me.  It made me take time to pay attention to different aspects of putting that I probably wouldn’t have otherwise.  Putter weight and lie angle, stroke and impact consistency are some of the things I needed to check more closely to keep my putting consistent at this point.  Taking video also helped me notice some things about my stroke I was able to work on like impact point consistency and stroke smoothness. 

Which putter works for different players is a very individual thing because feel plays such an important role for that club.  The set up and feel of the Fetch fit my eye right out of the box and the adjustable length got it dialed in for me.  If you prefer a heavier putter due to slower greens or your stroke style then this will fit your style of play.  The only negative I could come up with for the Fetch is, if you like a lighter putter this probably isn’t the feel for you.  I liked the solid face, which I prefer over insert style putters.  The mallet style is a recent change for me (I had been using a Seemore FGP recently) and I noticed the help the longer sight lines gave me getting the ball rolling along the intended line. 

Whichever putter you choose it should be noted that taking the time to do drills and practicing with it to get it dialed in with your stroke is a big help to improving your putting skill.  I saw an improvement in my putting which I feel began with the putter design fitting my eye & stroke and continued with doing more drills than normal for the testing & reporting aspect of this review.  I really appreciate the chance to test the Fetch and especially liked the improvement I saw in my putting!

Final Score: (90 out of 100 points)

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

First, I would like to thank MGS for trusting me to provide an unbiased and hopefully informative review of the PING Heppler Piper C center Shafted Putter.  

My name is Noel, and yes, I am Mexican, I was called Mad-Mex several of times when my temper got the best of me during my first 9 years as a USAF Fighter Jet Mechanic, the next 11 as an air traffic controller taught me that cool and calm is good in stressful situations. I was introduced to this game in 1980 by a classic movie, “Caddyshack”.

While playing intermural golf, my then first Sergeant said to me “Buy the best you can afford so there is no doubt it’s the equipment”, he used PING’s. After handing in my rental set back to the attendant I saw a new set of PING Eye’s on the rack. An hour later and a trip to the credit Union (no debit cards back then) I had my first new set of irons, PING Eye’s and new putter, stainless steel PING Anser 2.

The USAF gave me the opportunity to play in four countries and eight states thus I was able to see firsthand how other’s treat this game/lifestyle. My current wife philosophy about golf is that she rather me spend money on golf than leaving it at the bar, thus she is to blame/credit for starting my putter collection and expanding my golf equipment (addiction) knowledge. Unfortunately or Lucky for me, she was bitten by the golf bug HARD three years ago, if we don’t play at least once a week (pre-COVID), there is some explaining to do. Trips to the PGA Superstore and Edwin Watts have become longer and more often.

I am a 14 handicap have gone as low as 10, but am +3 when it comes to enjoying this game, figure if a shanked shot or a couple of balls in a lake is the worse that will happen to me that day, it’s going to be a good day.

First Impressions

Appearance:  Prior to receiving this putter, I had already formed an opinion on the appearance and color based solely on photos in the internet. I “knew” my opinion was not going to be positive, well, I found out after opening the box and sticking my foot in my mouth, that the taste of shoe polish is an acquired taste.

The combination of copper and black works well in conjunction with a white golf ball, plus the alignment aides naturally frames the ball so you can see if the ball is centered on the face, or not.

Furthermore, this being a center shafted putter, you can easily tell weather you have an open, square or closed face, combine this with the ease of framing the ball and you can be sure your set up is as perfect as possible prior to starting your putt.

056BE2BE-39D7-4F17-B155-3D3F4EF1834B.jpeg.6d88765fa0cd5476e899468e59a8639f.jpeg

Grip: It is my humble opinion that a grip can help fine tune the “feel” of a putter. I use a leather grip on my gamer because I prefer a firm feel on a solidly struck put and feedback of those struck off center. At first the P59 looks like it will mute the vibrations and reduced said feedback and feel, but again, looks can be deceiving. Great grip, not too spongey feeling or slippery. Think I found an alternative to leather.

Technology: I am very suspicious of manufacturer product claims, but the adjustable shaft is one of the few “Why didn’t I think of that” advancements left. I Love being able to tinker with putter length as easily as adjusting the loft on my driver. It was great adjusting it to fit my taste then turn around and do same for my wife, great job PING.

Looks (8 out of 10 points) 

Reason I picked this shape is that it resembles my current gamer, so it already has a shape I am familiar with.

At the risk of contradicting myself, the copper and black combination is still a bit distracting, all black would have been a much better option or maybe only a copper face, maybe the copper will dull and darken a little over time. The looks definitely makes it stand out in a crowded putter market filled with all silver and all black putters. The minimalist in me liked the minimum amount of graphics and lettering.

C1D0D6B9-2503-4E13-AA14-4F4B4805A3EC.jpeg.4f96c69c42859a4c6a59d284508eb380.jpeg

Sound & Feel (9 out of 10 points)

PING advertised this line of putters as solid face for golfers who prefer a firmer impact feel and sound”, and it delivered just that, nothing more, nothing less. The best way I can describe the feel is like when you hit muscle back forged irons, well struck shots will be rewarded with a firm, solid feel. This putter tells you where on the face you struck the ball, something which is more helpful than all putts feeling the same.

By having a noticeable difference, it makes me concentrate a bit more on my stroke in order to be rewarded with that crisp solid feel.

There is a slight noticeable sound on center and off-center putts, but no clicky or muted sound whatsoever. I had my wife make some putts, and again I was able to tell the slight difference in sounds.

1AC11A8E-756C-44A8-96EC-38E2725E5054.jpeg.0c9a566d5ee6c649249a7b53637e4d94.jpeg

Basic Characteristics (18 out of 20 points)

One thing I realized going back to a center shafted putter from a heel shafted putter, it does not “fight” your natural stroke. For instance, I made several putts with different styles, straight back, slight arc, moderate and full gated stroke. I was able to make all types without any “resistance” from the head. With a face balanced, mallet type putters, I feel like there was only one way to be able to make a stroke and not feel like the head was fighting you. Hope this explanation makes sense!

My goal when putting is to aim for a spot 6 inches beyond the cup, like the great Yogi Berra once said “ 90% of all putts that come up short don’t go in”, thinking is if am off a little, it still has a chance.

Reading greens and seeing the line has never been a big problem with my putting game, getting the ball rolling in the line, that’s another story. Being able to square and frame the ball in the center of the face, has helped me start the ball on the intended line. On long lag putts this putter seems to be more stable than any I tried before. I don’t feel any “lag” or flex on the shaft, reading the PING page, it describes the stiffer adjustable shaft. Maybe they are onto something there.

3FB9FBF3-A68E-49CF-82D8-5B8428A0C5F4.jpeg.a962f1c9a15ad199cd7b4b6706ab19a9.jpeg

It felt a lot heavier than the advertised 365 grams, this was one of the two reason it did not become my wife’s gamer, the other being that it is a center shafted. Which is good for me! Having said that, due to the heaviness , it took me a little longer to adjust my stroke in order to have some distance control.

On-Course Performance (29 out of 30 points)

Due to home sale and moving, I was not able to take this out on the course as much as I would like to, but I did try to imagine every situation I could think of. This putter was performing well in all situations then it happened. While trying to putt from the fringe, I noticed that putts I could only get within two feet or so of the hole with my heel shafted, I was now  constantly within a foot or less. Could it be the center shaft or the head shape? Or was I just on the groove that day? I will try the same putts with my other center shafted putter and see if I get the same results or was this a fluke.

2FA236F5-684C-481B-A0DA-6437AAF4892B.jpeg.27c2afff23dcd0532a458dca6e71083f.jpeg

Miscellaneous (9 out of 10 points)

Having had a long relationship with PING products, this was not a disappointment, the putter delivers what the company promised.

The headcover is functional and is high quality as any other high-end OEM.

Play it or Trade it? (19 out of 20 points)

This has shot quickly into back up status/occasional gamer, this says a lot, since even though I love to try new stuff, it is uncommon for me to change equipment that often. Other models might appeal to a broader market since center shafted models are not that common of an offering by major OEM’s.

Conclusion

PING took a huge gamble on this model, center shafted putters are not a widely used putter. When struck center, this putter reminds me of well struck golf shots with muscle back blades. When I took this putter out, it made me concentrate on all parts of my putting stroke. The looks quickly grow on you, I hope the copper color gains a little patina. Little trivia, Arizona used to be a huge copper producer, wonder if that’s why they went with this color combo.

Final Score: (92 out of 100 points)

DRIVER: default_cobra-small.jpg.125f3712aad21ad9f7ca2c672e34a299.jpg  Cobra F-8 set at 10.5,  Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 60 (R) 44 1/2 "

3 & 5 WOOD: default_callaway-small.jpg.a58e7c6760b71a9eb95d385ecc5d2200.jpg Callaway XR-16, Fujikura Speeder Evolution 565 Red (R) 

IRONS 5-SW: default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-700, 2 upright, std loft  Alta CB (R) + 1/2"

HYBRID 3-4:  default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-410, 1 upright,  Alta CB 70 Red (R) + 1/2"

PUTTER: Byron Experimental GSS

7th Nov 2020

Heppler Floki Putter – Official MGS Forum Review by Alf.S

Intro 

I’m a 59 year old retiree that plays as much golf as my wife will let me, this usually amounts to at least 4 rounds a week. I have been playing social golf for nearly 50 years but for the last 20 years I have played competitively, progressing from a handicap of 22 to currently playing off 5.4. My background is microelectronics engineering so I have an analytical mind and will analyse post round where I dropped shots, it also means I have a very sceptical view of marketing claims.

I am an above average putter at just over 30 putts per round. I regularly play on greens that are 9-10 on the stint and tend to struggle on the faster greens. I’m a spot putter with a smooth tempo, straight back and through stroke and usually will die the ball at the hole. My occasional miss  is a pull left, usually due to incorrect setup and my swing tending to go out to in, promoting the miss. Confidence is a funny thing for me I’m most confident at 8 feet and out especially with a slow right to left breaking putt, my make level is probably 30-40% but my expectations are low. As I get closer, the more I concentrate and the harder it gets, and the frustration level rises when I miss. I’ve included a couple of videos below.

I do not know if this is an age thing, but I have always preferred a firmer putter head to the newer softer compounds. My junior years were spent with a brass Dunlop junior bullseye and then on to Anser clones for the next 25 years. In the early noughties tried the Odyssey 2 ball but just could not get the pace right and moved on to a TM Rossa Monza which still comes out occasionally. My putter history also includes Odyssey No 7 MetalX, Scotty Squareback No 1, TM SpiderX. My current putter is a MacGregor MACTEC X 002, why? I went looking for a Taylor Made Truss TM1 at a local retailer tried this and really liked it. It is heel weighted, with my miss being a pull left I think it helps straighten the head at impact. The putter was 34” but I’ve added 1” and put on a Superstroke GT 2.0 grip.  Below you can see my current collection Spider X, Floki, MACTEC and Rossa Monza.

936811745_Myputters.jpg.53c72d1e3325b1e7e7736da95e0fc6e8.jpg 

What I am I looking for in a putter? Well like everyone I am looking for the magic wand that when you stand over every putt you have the confidence that you will produce a good strike and hole or get close. Ideally the putter visually should stand out and look good in the bag along with the rest of the set.  

First Impressions

When the post was published on tester application, I went through the “PING WEBFIT” on the ping.com website. It came back with the choice of either the Floki, Ketsch or the Tomcat 14. Visually I like just one target line which makes the Floki the logical choice. The selection the app came back with did not surprise me in terms of look and spec, except for one thing, they were recommending a strong arc putter. Most of my recent putter history has been with centre weighted mallets. I also went for the PP61 grip this was the closest to the Superstroke GT2.0 which is the grip on my current Gamer. Below is the output from “PING WEBFIT”

517712330_PingSelection.jpg.f251834f3d5f77c94beba3e5314a79dd.jpg

Although  I have considered Ping clubs in the past, I have never used them in anger. My impression of Ping is that historically they are one of the traditional club makers and not innovators, this maybe more to do with the strong marketing of their competitors. With the Strong Arc spec. I was sceptical that the putter would suit me and was even considering passing up the chance as a reviewer.

When the putter arrived my first impression was that with the bronze and black body and black shaft reminded me of the bronze Taylor Made Spider X (see below) and that the colouring was similar to the Cleveland TFI range. The first hits I had were on my carpet into a One Putt ball returner, the feel and the ball roll felt excellent although I was not convinced on the setup. In my setup I align the club on the putting line then re-grip. The Floki does not remain square and will twist open.

778951674_FlokivSpiderX.jpg.6522fdfaab80d711396dd9fce5473a22.jpg

One of the areas that Ping are pushing is the “firmer feel, pleasing sound”, comparing this to steel milled putters and my current Gamer I would say it has a softer but not unpleasant feel. The sound is a unique click off the face which again suits my ear. The other area the marketing guys are pushing is high MOI, meaning you should get less face twist with off centre hits that should result in better distance and accuracy. The only way I could test this was trying to induce mishits with longer putts and my experience was that it seemed very consistent even from fifty feet.

Grading

Looks (9 out of 10 points)

The head shape is not one of the classic Ping heads but feels like an evolution from the Ketsch and is not dissimilar to the Odyssey Bird of Prey. The black T shaped steel face is complimented by the bronze aluminium “wings” to give an aesthetically pleasing look to the half shaft offset head.

face.jpg.c0898e64fd2be8bfc975aed6734d17b1.jpg

This is complemented by the black steel shaft and unique grip.

grip.jpg.a27024af47bc219c679d2bbaf8b83cea.jpg

The logo and graphics are prominent on the base and back of the club but are unobtrusive when in use and fit with the overall look of the club.

331259397_sideandback.jpg.3231b6fd2aca5f65b2fc42d551be99cd.jpgbottom.jpg.b0b3307788ac41f88b5fc305997b756f.jpg

At address the club is very easy on the eye with the single high visible white on black alignment aid complimented by the black T-piece which helps the eyes to centre the ball to the club. The one slight negative for me is the ridged T-piece on the top of the club which detracts a little from the look.

248298409_addresswithvicepro.jpg.62ee479744c75839e2e593fe456491ee.jpg

callaw.jpg.a2c611954b7efbc641026c4bd68d0c0a.jpg

673209414_tmaddress.jpg.70a7c0c557b1ee83f011064c4b37cad9.jpg 

Sound & Feel (10 out of 10 points[)

As mentioned above I have played with a variety of putters from milled to metal inserts and the feel of the Floki is pretty unique. It gives me the feedback I would expect from a milled putter but without the harshness of the dull thud I associate with them. The sound is more a positive soft click. Off centre hits still have a good feel and sound, this would fit in with the high MOI quoted in the marketing spiel. For me I cannot fault the sound and feel of the club and it adds to the confidence level when you are standing over the putt.

Basic Characteristics (18 out of 20 points)

When I first started to use the putter in the inside setup I really couldn’t get a good alignment with my normal setup and was tending to miss everything to the left. It was easy for me to put this down to changing to a strong arc putter and put doubts in my head. Working with a laser to help I changed the setup and became happy with this before going onto the practise green.

On the practise green I was really impressed with the pace and roll off the head. I tried putts in 5 feet increments and even as far as 50 feet I was getting good pace control, making 2 putt make percentages high. You can hear some slight difference in sound, particularly in toe hits, but this doesn’t seem to massively impact the pace or the line. Alignment and accuracy were good, apart from the nuance caused by my re-gripping, and the club had a stable path throughout the swing. I’m not a player that would normally putt out of the rough or fringe but one thing I did notice was that when I practised this I tended to get the ball bouncing at the strike which comes from my technique where I do tend to strike downwards at impact.

On-Course Performance (30 out of 30 points[AS6] )

On course I went through a bit of a roller coaster journey with the putter, to liking it, to binning it for a week to loving it. On the first round out, 31 putts was a little distorted by a chip in but I felt as I moved through the round my confidence was growing. Although 34 for the second round was moving in the wrong direction I was still feeling confident but felt that I was gripping at the bottom of the grip. For the third round I shortened the grip to 34.5” and this didn’t work at all, 36 putts and didn’t hole anything on the last 12 holes longer than 2 feet, confidence completely went. This resulted in a 1 week hiatus with going back to my Gamer which didn’t necessarily work out either. Going back to basics I took the Floki back to 35.5” and on to the carpet with the laser, thought I would try it a 36” and it seemed to give me a more stable stroke. If you look at the last 4 rounds my putting has improved considerably, and confidence is high.image.png.188e949800cbb641440f0923539750fd.png

The guys I play with are now commenting how comfortable I look on the green.

I think this does emphasise the importance of getting fitted for your putter, just by changing the length from 34.5 to 36” my confidence has soared. I still think the loft and lie could be tweaked but I’m really happy with the performance at the moment. 

Miscellaneous (8 out of 10 points[)

From the order to receiving the putter, discounting the 1st weekend it took 9 days for the putter to arrive and was packaged securely. I would say in COVID times this is pretty good performance. My new driver from fitting to delivery took 6 weeks from a competitor.

The headcover is a very neutral colour scheme, black and white with a touch of bronze to match the putter colours It will match most players bags and other club covers if that is your thing. For me it fits well with both my bag/headcover colour schemes. Grey and green Callaway Epic Org 14 bag and my Srixon Z565 red and black carry bag.

headcover.jpg.821ddeac60ccdfe0d9043d8a2be0efff.jpg

What makes the Ping putters different than most of the competition is the adjustability on length, the shaft is marked in ¼ inch increments from 32 to 36 inches and is easily adjustable with the supplied starred screwdriver. There is also an instruction sheet to help the less mechanically minded.

adjuster.jpg.bead8ae3ad924388c0dc52d7e91f173e.jpg

The downside of the adjustability is that if you use sensors that screw into the butt of the club such as Arccos of Shot Scope they will not fit and DIY will be required.

image.png.0cd3676c2e36556a7c7480c446a058a4.png

I did have concerns about the putter head getting scratched especially the black painted steel face but after 6 weeks I have seen no issues with this. One thing I did notice when taking photos is that the head does tend to trap dirt and sand in the gaps between the black steel and bronze body.

The aesthetic colour scheme of the putter is very much in Vogue at the moment and maybe like the Taylormade Bubble range will fall out of favour but I can easily see a market moving forward for the style and performance you get from the Floki.

The look of the putter does not stand out enough for the casual golfer to notice but a few discerning players have commented on the putter and liking the look and the feel. My son uses an Odyssey 2 ball and he thinks the Floki is the best feeling putter he has ever used, praise indeed from a highly sceptical 29 year old.

In the Introduction I said I wanted a putter to give me confidence that I will produce a good strike and hole or get close on every putt. This putter may not be the magic wand but it definitely has the potential to give me the foundation of sub 30 putt rounds. Based on this, it is a very easy question for me to answer and that is play it.

Conclusion

I am a non-Ping user, marketing sceptic so these words surprise me but here goes.

On first impressions the Heppler Floki is just another mallet but once you scratch the surface you may find your new Gamer. With its black shaft and black and bronze head it has a similar look to the bronze Spider X but has the feel and sound of a milled putter. The sound is a unique click and the feedback off the head gives you a solid feel on the strike. With the large white alignment line against the black T shaped head, gives you easy alignment to the ball and putting line. This combined with the high MOI head means that even off centre strikes gives you good pace control on even the longest putts. The only negatives I found were more cosmetic around the modelling of the T shaped head and a nuance with my technique causing the club to twist when I regrip at address. I would recommend anyone looking for a new putter to give this a look.

Final Score: (95 out of 100 points)

Edited by Alf. S

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

PING Heppler Tomcat 14 Putter – Official MGS Forum Review by MyWifesSwingCoach

Intro

First off I would like to thank MyGolfSpy, those involved selecting participants, and Ping for the opportunity to review this product. It is an honor and I hope it will be of use to all who read this.

My name is Matt and my journey with golf started with a misunderstanding. In the summer of 2006 my parents and I were getting prepared for me to enter high school and my Dad had asked about me playing a sport, for some reason I thought that playing a sport was a requirement in passing school. I quickly fell in love with the game as my Dad had also at the time recently started and I ended up playing all 4 years in high school. Well fast forward to 2020, after years of not playing, I am now married with two daughters and lockdown has brought me back to the game I love as well as giving me the opportunity to share this with my family. Since playing again I have been playing about a few strokes over bogey golf. Unfortunately I have not yet been fitted but am planning on doing so soon. In regards to my stroke, I am have a very slight arc and I try to have a smooth stroke and let the weight of the putter do most of the work. Distance control is my typical issue and my confidence outside of 5ft has never really been my strong suit.

With that being said:

image.png.fb7356ed43d54ad5a5c35c6d005b8b27.png

First Impressions

image.png.d5c8b347add9efa5d5392c4cf06b7201.png

My first impressions of the Tomcat are that this is a very good looking putter. The contrasting Copper and Black with white details are very fitting to my eye, I am partial to black so the black chrome shaft was a very nice choice for the color scheme. The grip is the PP59 and is the midsize version of the PP58, this grip has felt very comfortable in the hands and originally I was worried about any loss of feedback but that turned out not to be the case. The weight is certainly felt at 370g but is very manageable.

20201109_170626.jpg.8dca48da1d6ea81b2eab5d5bde983d60.jpg

Pings innovation with this putter is the ½ steel (Colored Black) and ½ Aluminum (Colored Copper) construction. This construction allowed the Tomcat to have the highest MOI in the line as well as being the most forgiving with the distribution of weight. The “14” in Tomcat 14 is due to the 14 dots with varied spacing to simulate motion and the similarities to runway lights assist in framing the ball and aid eye tracking as well.

PING HEPPLER TOMCAT 14 PUTTER | Discount Prices for Golf ...

Another innovative feature to this putter is the adjustable shaft, it comes with a tool that you insert into the top of the grip and with each turn the grip mores ~1/4" ranging from 32" to 36"

20201109_170825.jpg.9e051ea4ff46c003dbfab448de4716bb.jpg

The reason I wanted the Tomcat was due to its shape, forgiveness and the firm feel of the face. I currently game a blade made by Bettinardi for Mizuno, and I was looking for more consistency. Due to this I was hoping for a mallet as I have seen many professionals and amateurs switch, the one that sticks out in my mind would be Dustin Johnsons switch from the Truss to the Spyder. The grip on the putter is the PP59 midsize grip, my hope for this choice is my hope that it would quiet my hands further assisting my desire for a more consistent stroke.

Grading 

Looks (10 out of 10 points) 

This putter knocks it out of the park for looks. The copper and black contrast very nicely, the white dots stand out without being distracting. The runway inspired alignment and the perimeter weighting certainly achieve the intention of looking like an aircraft. Right out of the box this baby looks ready for take off. This putter fits very nicely with the rest of the line but has very quickly become my favorite, the whole putter just looks right.

20201109_170655.jpg.9c71df145aa6bfd1500663568ec358d3.jpg 20201109_170636(1).jpg.7d5d2ecc8c4c534468280e32993bdeff.jpg

Sound & Feel (10 out of 10 points)

The sound and feel of this putter are almost the complete opposite of my current gamer, a very firm yet forgiving face. The sound is clear without being too loud and the closest sound I can compare to would be dropping a golf ball on my garage floor, the feel is solid while still providing adequate feedback. While striking across all areas of the face, the feel was remarkably consistent as was the resulting putt. As far as my mental game is concerned, this has been a huge benefit. It is definitely one of the best feeling putters I have used.

Basic Characteristics (16 out of 20 points)

One of the first things I did to begin using this putter was to buy a PuttOut from Walmart. After that, I measured 5 and 10 foot lengths in my living room. While distance control was the biggest hurdle, my miss has been short, I must be under-compensating the firmness of the face. My average has been 1.9 putts per hole, lag putting has worked out nicely, and my confidence within 5ft has improved. My stroke feels very stable due to the weight of the putter as well as the grip quieting my hands.

I unfortunately had to take some points due to the fact there after a single round of leaving the headcover off while walking seems to have resulted in some wear on the copper painted aluminum on the bottom end toe side. I will have to remember to be more careful about the finish of this putter and keep the cover on as much as possible. I also noticed a small knick on the bottom side of the face when I first opened the box and took the headcover off.

20201109_172658.jpg.35c9cbbb1d1e0590fbbe59ea33b159be.jpg

20201109_172707.jpg.7b4dde59cf69c8e25d0dafcb9f82d43b.jpg

20201109_172741.jpg.70bde02aa1c9e8bd548bc3daf35c75ac.jpg

On-Course Performance (30 out of 30 points)

image.png.0d51853cd27a3937b11f67da7092d07f.png

I feel as though putting was always my weakest point, for some reason my stroke never quite clicked. This putter has definitely increased my confidence on the greens, its just so easy to use. Recently I watched Tiger Woods: My Game and the putting episode came to mind, specifically one of his drills where he putts with only his right hand and then tried to recreate that feeling with both hands. Using this putter in conjunction with the Tiger drill mentioned, making a smooth consistent stroke comes very natural. This season I went out to play for the first time in 6-7 years, once with my father and another round with @xOldBenKenobiX. While both were very easy going, I was putting the pressure on myself. Even with this pressure the Tomcat helped me be able to step up to the ball and know that I could make a consistent stroke. My highlight is the 18ft birdie putt I was able to sink on Hole 8 of the Red Course of Riverview Highlands.

1443933583_Screenshot_20201111-223649_ShotScope.jpg.bfd150bf3cc3da642e6045b3a74f1db7.jpg

Now I have never played with any Ping clubs prior to this, but this putter has made a very strong impression on me. If this product is an indicator of the overall quality of Ping products, then this brand will certainly be a contender for future purchases. I have a feeling the more I use the Tomcat the more it will grow on me and help me in my game. I cannot think of anything I would change about this product.

Miscellaneous (10 out of 10 points)

I was very happy with the shipping of this product, I received the putter only a few days after the first tester received theirs. We have a certain shipping location near us that has developed a reputation for being a “black hole” since lockdown and I was quite relieved when I received it.

The headcover appears to be high quality, I much prefer the magnet to velcro. The colors work together nicely just like the putter, very nice details really made it seem like this cover was thought out and intentional rather than an afterthought.

20201111_223944.jpg.14733ac3fb10064cf8d1c1ec8e229061.jpg

20201111_223953.jpg.1356bba325aa5175ebe6c676da8fec94.jpg

My father was the only other person to use the Tomcat at the time of this review, and all he could say was “Wow, Thats solid”

Gamer. No doubt in my mind. I would love to be able to sharpen up and start looking into some competitions hopefully next year at the earliest and this will definitely be my weapon of choice. The Tomcat has in this short period of time helped me putt better and with more confidence, while some people prefer the feeling of a soft face I have no doubts that anyone open to feeling how a firm mallet with High MOI and a lot of forgiveness can perform will be pleased with the Tomcat 14.

Conclusion

This is my first experience using a Ping product, I tried to be as neutral as possible, I hope that all who read this will take something useful away from it. The Tomcat 14 makes me want to fly out to the course, it has certainly assisted in myself being bitten by the bug again. Unfortunately, in Michigan, Winter Is ComingTM... So I will be stuck inside for the new few months, but with my Wingman here I think I will be in good company. The Tomcat has instilled a confidence in my putting that I have not felt before, my stroke feels stable, the face is very forgiving, and man does this thing look good. In conclusion, Gamer. MyWifesSwingCoach, Out.

Final Score: (96 out of 100 points)

image.png.520eadc75e41f6cad8852147b74490b0.png

Driver - default_taylormade-small.jpg R9 Superdeep TP 10.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 65g XStiff Shaft

3 Wood - 2020 1ef73718.png Tight Lies 16* - Aldila Synergy Red 50-S Shaft

2 Hybrid - 1ef73718.png Idea Pro - Aldila VS Proto+ 'By You' 80-S Shaft

3 Iron - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT SL S300 Shaft

4-9 Irons - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT X-100 Shafts (6i has mismatched Project X 6.0 shaft)

Sand Wedge - Adams GT XTreme 2 SW

Putter - default_ping-small.jpg Heppler Tomcat 14

Ball - default_titelist-small.jpg Tour Soft

Can’t wait to see them!

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

3 minutes ago, Shapotomous said:

Preparation has started....📐

You think this testing stuff is all fun and games but there is some serious work to be done before the putter arrives....There's even MATH involved!!  🤓

This evenings project is Home Brew Stimp-o-meter from some leftover aluminum angle stock and a cell phone clinometer app.

Minimal google research indicates for a real Stimpmeter the launch point is 30" from the bottom and the ball releases from the notch at a 20* angle. 

After a few sets of 3 balls going different directions and averaging the results,

the backyard green measures a very speedy 13.5.   😲

Tomorrow when there is more light I will find a couple straight putts and strike a couple lines.

20200925_190541.jpg.07a8b4b2527dba0901e58436155590d7.jpg

Very cool nice work. 13.5!?! Let the grass grow a little! Gonna lose some balls off that green!

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

More prep work this morning....I worked on finding straight putt lines from 5, 10, 15 & 20 feet and marked the spot with a nail.  I had them make the surface as flat as they could when it was installed and they did a great job with that.  But over the years (since 2009) some subtle breaks have developed from certain directions.

The idea is that putting from those spots I should be able to test how easy it is for me to align the face and keep the stroke on line with the Heppler compared to a couple others.  I think like most putters I have used, the Heppler will point out the deficiencies in my stroke that I need to adjust for or correct!  

I decided to just use a nail and not strike a chalk line so there wouldn't be any additional visual aid as I tested how easy it is to align the putter.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

IMG_0056.JPG

For me my initial set up will be in my lounge. Pace I would guess about 9 or 10. Using a perfect putt ball retriever and a DIY laser for alignment. I use this to try an promote the right swing arc.

Been looking at the putter in the local Pro Shop, had a few swings but no hits with it yet.

I will probably have a play with the length. Currently use 35.5” shaft, tried shorter which gave me better line but always had problem with pace on longer putts.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

WIMB

The one thing I'd love to see tested, or input on, is do you think it was the right move by Ping to remove the Pure Roll face technology with it being so effective in the previous models?  I run the Ping Oslo and I couldn't imagine not having Pure Roll especially when you look at companies like Evnroll that made their name on face technology.

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – 5i: Taylormade P790
6i – AW: Taylormade P770
SW: Taylormade MG3 TW Grind
LW: Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Low Bounce
Putter: PXG Battle Ready One & Done

The one thing I'd love to see tested, or input on, is do you think it was the right move by Ping to remove the Pure Roll face technology with it being so effective in the previous models?  I run the Ping Oslo and I couldn't imagine not having Pure Roll especially when you look at companies like Evnroll that made their name on face technology.

Do we know Ping did this by choice?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

19 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Not sure if the court has adjudicated it yet, but 8/19 Evnroll sued Karsten for patent infringement.

https://golf-patents.com/after-a-dry-spell-we-have-some-interesting-putter-patent-litigation/

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

On 9/25/2020 at 8:10 PM, Lacassem said:

Very cool nice work. 13.5!?! Let the grass grow a little! Gonna lose some balls off that green!

I do need to find a way to slow it down a bit.  I love putting on it but translating my home stroke to courses around here does not work for me.  The greens I generally play are too slow in comparison and while I am happy with my line on most putts I am consistently 2' short.  When I do get the ball to the hole I feel like I am hammering it with a jab stroke and generally ends up as a push miss.  Maybe I need a light practice putter and a heavy gamer?  🤔

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Fair point!  I know the "story" from the Ping reps is that the tour players wanted to know when they didn't strike the center of the face.  The tour pros were behind the removal of they face technology.  Whether that's the truth, or not, that's the story they were giving when the line first released.  If it is the truth, the pros spend how many hours each day on putting alone, so their strike pattern is near perfect.  Whereas us armatures have a very inconsistent strike pattern.   

Even with the lawsuit, I would have guessed they would have found a way around the design similar to PXG, Cleveland, and other putter companies that have similar face technology.  That's why I'm curious if this line is better than my possibly patent infringement Vault Oslo?  Would it be better for us to find a used Ping Vault or Vault 2 line vs. buy a new Heppler?  

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – 5i: Taylormade P790
6i – AW: Taylormade P770
SW: Taylormade MG3 TW Grind
LW: Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Low Bounce
Putter: PXG Battle Ready One & Done

Just did a breakdown of my putting for the last month to give me a baseline. 

image.png.860a86eddcc158e5519be9c255af06c8.png

I tend to putt better on slower greens the 2 x 36 putts were on quicker greens, 28 is also a bit of a distortion since I chipped in twice. 

I did look at using the Arccos data but for me the putting numbers are so inaccurate there was no point.

Edited by Alf. S

WIMB

My biggest challenge right now is moving into rental home in the next 2 weeks since we sold out house while prices and demand is high.

The great part is that there is a muni course two blocks from the rental we are moving into, so I'll have plenty of time.

Plus with the wife having been infected with the golf virus 2 years ago, she can't wait to try it out too.  

DRIVER: default_cobra-small.jpg.125f3712aad21ad9f7ca2c672e34a299.jpg  Cobra F-8 set at 10.5,  Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 60 (R) 44 1/2 "

3 & 5 WOOD: default_callaway-small.jpg.a58e7c6760b71a9eb95d385ecc5d2200.jpg Callaway XR-16, Fujikura Speeder Evolution 565 Red (R) 

IRONS 5-SW: default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-700, 2 upright, std loft  Alta CB (R) + 1/2"

HYBRID 3-4:  default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-410, 1 upright,  Alta CB 70 Red (R) + 1/2"

I got out a stiff push broom and did some work on the synthetic turf of the green last night in an effort to slow it down from the Augusta-Like speed.  The broom bristles stood up the 'grass' blades and slowed down the roll to about 11.75.  A move in the right direction!    I am going to brush it again and see if I can get below 11.  I want to find some more of the granules used as fill to see if it will help keep the grass blades in this position.  If I don't add any I think they will just flatten out again before too long.

You have got my full attention!!!!

attention.gif.5f04fbc765a76ba77ed0959b3be95fa5.gif

52 minutes ago, Alf. S said:

Look what just arrived?

Image1601476416.615337.jpgImage1601476435.384455.jpgImage1601476457.973881.jpg

But the weather has not complied, rain all day.

image.png.0ef515a0598e154804bd6f0d324074c4.png

Mailbox Charlie Brown GIF - Mailbox CharlieBrown Mail ...

I envy you sir...

Driver - default_taylormade-small.jpg R9 Superdeep TP 10.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 65g XStiff Shaft

4-9 Irons - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT X-100 Shafts (6i has mismatched Project X 6.0 shaft)

Doing a review like this gets you doing things you wouldn't normally do. I did a slow motion video of my stroke behind the ball in the lounge , thought I was back and thru stroke. Looks to me like it I'm aligning slightly right and thru is going left.

Edited by Alf. S

WIMB

1 hour ago, Alf. S said:

Doing a review like this getting you doing things you wouldn't normally do.

I am right there with you, I have been looking at my living room floor with the longest level I have to find a flat area so that I can work at home. Once I find an area that is flat then I will mark it off and different distances with painters tape. That and I am going to purchase a PuttOut as soon as I get to the store.

Worst case scenario if I cannot find a flat part of living room floor is I will have to get some plywood, carpet remnants and some wood shims to try and make a flat area either in the living room or the garage floor.

1 hour ago, Alf. S said:

Doing a review like this getting you doing things you wouldn't normally do. I did a slow motion video of my stroke behind the ball in the lounge , thought I was back and thru stroke. Looks to me like it I'm aligning slightly right and thru is going left.

Is there a format to load videos?

Typically just upload to YouTube. Copy link over and video should upload on the post.

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

13 hours ago, Alf. S said:

Look what just arrived?

Weather is ready at my end !!

AC328E06-B159-4C2A-8ABE-CB35F8672A28.jpeg

17 hours ago, Alf. S said:

Doing a review like this getting you doing things you wouldn't normally do. I did a slow motion video of my stroke behind the ball in the lounge , thought I was back and thru stroke. Looks to me like it I'm aligning slightly right and thru is going left.

Very cool video.  Inspired me to dig out the gopro since my phone has a crappy camera and the good phone camera is with the kid at college!   I took some from behind the line but its hard to tell stroke path from that angle.  I might be going to the inside at impact but my usual miss is a push to the right so the face angle must be open if the path stays the same.  I have to figure a way to place the gopro to get a more overhead shot and maybe with a laser level to give a reference line like you did.  I'll get the camera set up worked out while waiting for the Heppler to arrive!   🤓

With yours, it could be the camera angle, but it seems like your stroke is a very slight outside to outside path arc.  Going to the outside on the way back and coming in to the ball and then going outside again on the follow through.  I say don't dwell on the looks, if it's repeatable and the ball goes in the hole consistently then game it!    👍

1 hour ago, Shapotomous said:

Very cool video.  Inspired me to dig out the gopro since my phone has a crappy camera and the good phone camera is with the kid at college!   I took some from behind the line but its hard to tell stroke path from that angle.  I might be going to the inside at impact but my usual miss is a push to the right so the face angle must be open if the path stays the same.  I have to figure a way to place the gopro to get a more overhead shot and maybe with a laser level to give a reference line like you did.  I'll get the camera set up worked out while waiting for the Heppler to arrive!   🤓

With yours, it could be the camera angle, but it seems like your stroke is a very slight outside to outside path arc.  Going to the outside on the way back and coming in to the ball and then going outside again on the follow through.  I say don't dwell on the looks, if it's repeatable and the ball goes in the hole consistently then game it!    👍

I am just impressed the cat didn't throw you off on the last one. Nice shooting!

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

22 hours ago, Alf. S said:

Look what just arrived?

Awesome!  Looking forward to the review.

An adjustable length putter; what a concept.  Patent filed in 2001 and awarded in 2006... that didn't take too long 😆.  I would presume Simon Moore (Peku Putter, CEO) sold his rights for use?  It appears the patent expired in June 2018 for failure to pay maintenance fees.  Perhaps he made enough from it it no longer is worth maintaining?

Here's some history on this. 

https://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/SC0610/S00042.htm

https://patents.google.com/patent/US20040198529A1/en

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Does anyone have any tips on what to use to get lines to stay in the carpet? I tried blue painters tape and it did not last long lol especially after my daughter started putting also haha

I started to make out a grid and it looks like I have at least 10ft maybe more if I can move some things, so that will help with practicing 5 and 10 footers and comparing with my current gamer once my Tomcat arrives