TESTERS WANTED! ×

Stats and golf coverage

revkev

Is it just me?

I watch baseball games and I see all kinds of stats, BA with runners on, against hard throwing righties with 1 strike, average exit velocity and launch angle on home rubs, fast ball spin rate, etc., etc. etc.

In golf it’s almost crickets - yeah I get SS, carry and curve on some drives - but how about percentage of putts made by this particular player on 20 foot putts.

It just seems as if golf coverage is a few steps behind.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Golf is way behind, not just with stats but with announcing as well. Listening to announcer say that he has 120 and if he doesn't get it within 10 feet it is not a good shot is just insane. I can't even watch let alone listen. It is changing but really slowly. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

I am sure they can push more stats; they have them on the PGA website. I have seen some putting stats for the player compared to the field.

As@thezipr23 pointed out the stats would not be very impressive since players don’t hit shots as close as broadcasters like to make you think. Kind of downplays the excitement/drama that broadcasters try to create.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

8 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I am sure they can push more stats; they have them on the PGA website. I have seen some putting stats for the player compared to the field.

As@thezipr23 pointed out the stats would not be very impressive since players don’t hit shots as close as broadcasters like to make you think. Kind of downplays the excitement/drama that broadcasters try to create.

I would agree that it doesn't sound good and the drama does escape some. However they have to know their audience. The average golfer hearing that thinks it's true, when it is not even close. Max Homa wants to start a segment on golf coverages that show just the bad shots. His reasoning is that it would increase the reaction or praise when they do hit it inside 10 feet from 120. 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

I think part of it is the current crop of analysts prefer to live in their own world where their thoughts and feelings about the game are "correct" regardless of whether advanced metrics have disproven those feelings. Another part is a lot of the average golf fan doesn't care enough about the advanced stats and are perfectly happy to just accept what Azinger or Faldo say as the one true gospel. The amount of blowback I got for calling out Faldo for his bogus claims on graphite shafts from casual fans who just want to trust everything a 6 time major champion has to say was kind of a bit shocking.

You can even see it in the YouTube space. Rick Shiels is the leading guy on the platform and his videos are basically generic lessons or challenges and course vlogs built around entertainment. Meanwhile Crossfield is diving deep into advanced stats and new coaching methods and he's been sort of stuck in the 200-300k subscriber range. I get Crossfield can rub a lot of people the wrong way, but the point is he's a guy who's genuinely trying to take golf down the path of utilizing these advanced stats and new training methods to help people get better faster and he's got a fifth of the viewership that Shiels does. Maybe a better television broadcast from a stats POV might make people a bit more receptive to the ideas Crossfield is trying to get across in his videos but currently there certainly seems to a be a lot of pushback against the statistically driven content that Mark is producing.

It's disappointing, at least to me, that people would rather listen to the same old adages from the same guys time and time again when the players and the coaches continue to show those adages to be false, or at the very least, misguided.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

I’m so glad I’m not the only one. And I know the stats are out there - I enjoy checking them out on the PGA website but it’s tough to do while watching.

Our Rays coverage gives you all kinds of metrics and numbers. It’s really fun to watch a ballgame like that IMO.

Interestingly I read an off-season article that said the Rays should swing at 3-0 pitched more frequently, they gave and with very good success.

The Bryson story of seeing game improvement through statistical analysis should be an inspiration for every golfer. If he has room for improvement imagine the possibilities for the average player.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

3 hours ago, FrogginBullfish said:

Another part is a lot of the average golf fan doesn't care enough about the advanced stats and are perfectly happy to just accept what Azinger or Faldo say as the one true gospel.

This is so true and sad at the same time. 

I think we are all a bit in the minority I know many golfers who would not be all that interested in the stats, of course that is not me. As evidenced by the YouTube views @FrogginBullfish mentioned. I agree though looking at them for your game is the easiest way to get better.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

It just seems to me that you can put up graphics beneath a players name approaches to the shot he’s hitting just as they do in baseball. The viewer can choose to read the stats or not.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

3 minutes ago, revkev said:

It just seems to me that you can put up graphics beneath a players name approaches to the shot he’s hitting just as they do in baseball. The viewer can choose to read the stats or not.

I agree, that is where i see the putting stats.    The problem is that it wouldn't make the players seem like they play great golf.  People wouldn't believe a stat like this:

Approach to green 100-125 yards from fairway:  Dustin Johnson  ranks 124th on tour with average of 20'2".  

Most people expect that to be 5 feet.  

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I agree, that is where i see the putting stats.    The problem is that it wouldn't make the players seem like they play great golf.  People wouldn't believe a stat like this:
Approach to green 100-125 yards from fairway:  Dustin Johnson  ranks 124th on tour with average of 20'2".  
Most people expect that to be 5 feet.  

I suppose - they probably think their average is 20 feet when it’s actually 45.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

This seems like a fitting link...

https://www.adamyounggolf.com/pro-golfers-not-good/

Nice read and very true -

I think I would add that Pros are good its just that most people's sense of what that means is way, way off.  Hitting a 6 iron from 200 yards to 30 feet half the time is pretty amazing.  Really amazing actually as is making 40 percent of 10 footers.  But I know guys who are ready to burry their putter when they miss from 10 feet (they are probably at a 25 to 30 percent make rate from there.)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Yeah for sure, the pros are really, really good. It's just our perception of how good they actually is sort of skewed by the television coverage.

Golf's in a unique position from a coverage standpoint. It's not like other sports. It's one of the few sports where all of the action is spread out. In hockey, baseball, football, basketball, etc, the audience gets to see everything that happens the entire broadcast. In golf, we only get to see who the broadcast wants us to see and its usually only the guys playing well which definitely skews the perception of exactly how good they are for the average viewer.

I liken it to social media sites like Instagram or Facebook. The vast majority of people only share the highlights of their lives and from an outside perspective it might look like that person's life is amazing, which could certainly be the case, but it's also generally not as amazing as all those highlights make it out to be.

Nice read and very true -

I think I would add that Pros are good its just that most people's sense of what that means is way, way off.  Hitting a 6 iron from 200 yards to 30 feet half the time is pretty amazing.  Really amazing actually as is making 40 percent of 10 footers.  But I know guys who are ready to burry their putter when they miss from 10 feet (they are probably at a 25 to 30 percent make rate from there.)

I have never been a big stat guy. The only stat I keep is the score. I enjoy watching golf, and other sports, but I don't really care for too much info. I just like watching the athletes playing their sport. I know that is contrary to most, but I'm old, and I grew up when the only stat that was important was if someone could bring it when the pressure was on.

Only stat that matters is how many times it you to get the ball in the hole.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Only stat that matters is how many times it you to get the ball in the hole.

Take Dead Aim

I don’t disagree I’m just fascinated but what goes into that -

We are told there are a lot of different ways to make a score but what if that’s a myth? What if there is a formula at the top of the game? Bryson’s n seems to think there is.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

If I want to know a players stats, I'll just look at the PGA website... plenty to look at.  For me, watching golf on television is one of the last remaining venues that has not been over-hyped (well, The Wasted Management aside), is relatively sedate, and dosen't make my head hurt.  Sometimes less is more.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

3 hours ago, revkev said:

We are told there are a lot of different ways to make a score but what if that’s a myth? What if there is a formula at the top of the game? Bryson’s n seems to think there is.

There are people that believe there is a formula to playing top golf.  That is the whole essence of what Scott Fawcett teaches from a course management/decision/emotion perspective with DECADE.  For every shot there is a single answer on how to play the shot and where to aim based on what is in front of you.  Some people like him others don't; but for someone into stats,  he is an interesting follow on twitter and has some videos on the topic on youtube.   He is working with Lou Stagner and uses Shotlink data as a basis.   his system isn't complicated,  but people allow emotion to change away from the strategy.  

15 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

If I want to know a players stats, I'll just look at the PGA website... plenty to look at.  For me, watching golf on television is one of the last remaining venues that has not been over-hyped (well, The Wasted Management aside), is relatively sedate, and dosen't make my head hurt.  Sometimes less is more.

Isn't providing a false narrative on tour players' stats over-hyping it a bit? I mean all we hear about on the broadcasts are how far these guys hit it, and how good they are from here or there, and what a great putter so and so is. What if the stats don't actually reflect these statements? What if, by providing actual player stats, the broadcast could also give context to the distance debate and course design? 

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

2 minutes ago, TR1PTIK said:

Isn't providing a false narrative on tour players' stats over-hyping it a bit? I mean all we hear about on the broadcasts are how far these guys hit it, and how good they are from here or there, and what a great putter so and so is. What if the stats don't actually reflect these statements? What if, by providing actual player stats, the broadcast could also give context to the distance debate and course design? 

My point is that I just enjoy watching the golf and don't pay too much attention to the commentators.  I have occasionally looked up specific player and collective tour statistics when I have need for that level of detail.  I don't need the television screen overloaded with that information. The shot/putt tracer is a nice feature.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

16 hours ago, cnosil said:

There are people that believe there is a formula to playing top golf.  That is the whole essence of what Scott Fawcett teaches from a course management/decision/emotion perspective with DECADE.  For every shot there is a single answer on how to play the shot and where to aim based on what is in front of you.  Some people like him others don't; but for someone into stats,  he is an interesting follow on twitter and has some videos on the topic on youtube.   He is working with Lou Stagner and uses Shotlink data as a basis.   his system isn't complicated,  but people allow emotion to change away from the strategy.  

I will have to look him up.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

3 hours ago, TR1PTIK said:

💯

Only way to change perception is with the truth. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/28/2020 at 8:58 AM, TR1PTIK said:

Perhaps having the real stats in front of us might give us a better understanding of our own games, particularly in the area of expectation.  If we see that a touring pro is happy with a 21 footer from 150 perhaps we won't be so upset about hitting it in the fringe or if we start to know that he is only making 8 percent from 30 feet maybe we won't throw our putter the next time that we miss from there. 🙂

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

33 minutes ago, revkev said:

Perhaps having the real stats in front of us might give us a better understanding of our own games, particularly in the area of expectation.  If we see that a touring pro is happy with a 21 footer from 150 perhaps we won't be so upset about hitting it in the fringe or if we start to know that he is only making 8 percent from 30 feet maybe we won't throw our putter the next time that we miss from there. 🙂

But I'm still going to be upset because I WANT to hit the green... I don't throw my putter though.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

7 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

But I'm still going to be upset because I WANT to hit the green... I don't throw my putter though.

I hear you. My GIR% is trash. 😩

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

I think we all WANT to hit every green but I also think this is where managing expectations is important, and where tracking your own stats can be very beneficial. If you miss a green with a club you hit, for example, 75% of greens with, you probably should be a little disappointed. But if you miss a green with a club you only hit, for example, 35% of greens with, there's no point in getting upset.

13 minutes ago, FrogginBullfish said:

I think we all WANT to hit every green but I also think this is where managing expectations is important, and where tracking your own stats can be very beneficial. If you miss a green with a club you hit, for example, 75% of greens with, you probably should be a little disappointed. But if you miss a green with a club you only hit, for example, 35% of greens with, there's no point in getting upset.

Well, I understand your point, but it is also a matter of perspective.  Do you get upset because you know that you normally hit the green 75% of the time IF you put a good strike on the ball, but you shank it?  I'm a little more than disappointed.  I'm upset.

I don't need to track my stats; I know which greens I can/should hit and can't hit.  I'm not the best ball striker, and I miss a lot of greens because some I can't reach with a 3W/hybrid unless I hit a perfect shot.  Yes, I'm disappointed, but I am also upset with myself because i know that I made par less likely.  I suppose it would be different if I could hit driver-iron into every par 4.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”