TESTERS WANTED! ×

How related are hybrids from a company and fairway woods from the same company

HAC

To be more specific, I am thinking about getting a new five wood.  Finding five woods to demo at my club is really hard because I am left-handed.  I am planning to go somewhere to get fit but am waiting for the Titleist new woods to come out.  I have never even swung a Titleist wood of any kind but love my Titleist H1 hybrids.  Am I likely to like a fairway wood from the same company or will they be pretty much unrelated?

Edited by HAC
  • :taylormade-small: Sim 2 Driver Fujikura Ventus Blue 6R shaft
  • :taylormade-small:Sim 2 5 wood Fujikura Ventus Blue 5R shaft
  •  th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0311 Gen 5 Seven Wood Project X Cypher 50 5.5 shaft set to flat with weights set to fade.
  • :titelist-small: H818 Hybrid 25 degrees Tensei ck Series 60 HY regular flex shafts at C4 setting (flat for lefties)
  • :titelist-small: 718 AP1 irons 6-gap Tensei ck Series AMC IR regular flex bent two degrees flat
  • :vokey-small: SM 7 Wedge 58 degrees M grind with 8 bounce Steel shafts wedge flex bent 2 degrees flat
  • :ping-small: Glide 3 52.12 and 56.14 with  Alta CB Red Regular Flex shaft bent 2 degrees flat
  • Go back and forth between :cameron-small: Select Newport 2 putter 34 inch length and :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne putter 33 inch length
  • Bridgestone B X.

I'm no expert - but I think hybrids and fairway woods are two different animals...  Hitting down on hybrids, and sweeping the fairway wood...  Dog and cats. Apples and oranges.

That said... I have a Titleist TS2 15* I really like...  Looks like you've got a bag full of Titleist, so what do you have to lose?  

The key question may be why are you swapping out the current fairway wood?  Looking for more distance, more accuracy - or just need a change?  Can you get the shaft you want, or think you want?

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

5 hours ago, WaffleHouseTour said:

I'm no expert - but I think hybrids and fairway woods are two different animals...  Hitting down on hybrids, and sweeping the fairway wood...  Dog and cats. Apples and oranges.

That said... I have a Titleist TS2 15* I really like...  Looks like you've got a bag full of Titleist, so what do you have to lose?  

The key question may be why are you swapping out the current fairway wood?  Looking for more distance, more accuracy - or just need a change?  Can you get the shaft you want, or think you want?

My current fairway wood is 10 years old.  I am hoping for both a bit more distance and a bit more forgiving.  I think I can hit my 21 degree hybrid almost as far as my 5 wood.  Of course, my hybrids are two years old and are fit to me more the way I was two years ago (better swing, older body) while my fairway wood was fit to me 10 years ago (my guess is there also is a difference between the shaft I should have been playing with at 55 and the one I should be playing with at 65).  There are a couple of holes on my course where 5-10 more yards would make a lot of difference, at least on some days.  I have tried a couple of 5 woods on the range and think I will get what I am seeking.  I liked the Ping G410 best of the couple I have tried so far.  What I have tried as encouraged me enough to want to go to a fitter and try out a few with a Trackman or whatever.

Edited by HAC
  •  th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0311 Gen 5 Seven Wood Project X Cypher 50 5.5 shaft set to flat with weights set to fade.
  • :titelist-small: H818 Hybrid 25 degrees Tensei ck Series 60 HY regular flex shafts at C4 setting (flat for lefties)
  • :titelist-small: 718 AP1 irons 6-gap Tensei ck Series AMC IR regular flex bent two degrees flat
  • :vokey-small: SM 7 Wedge 58 degrees M grind with 8 bounce Steel shafts wedge flex bent 2 degrees flat
  • :ping-small: Glide 3 52.12 and 56.14 with  Alta CB Red Regular Flex shaft bent 2 degrees flat
  • Go back and forth between :cameron-small: Select Newport 2 putter 34 inch length and :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne putter 33 inch length
  • Bridgestone B X.

I hear ya.  I’m 53, and a few more yards would be a huge help.  I just pulled my 5 wood from the bags.  I found it and my 3 hybrid were pretty much the same distance. At least that’s what Arccos tells me. I find the 3H to be more versatile for me as I can’t hit a fairway wood out of the rough.  Good luck. 

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

11 hours ago, WaffleHouseTour said:

I hear ya.  I’m 53, and a few more yards would be a huge help.  I just pulled my 5 wood from the bags.  I found it and my 3 hybrid were pretty much the same distance. At least that’s what Arccos tells me. I find the 3H to be more versatile for me as I can’t hit a fairway wood out of the rough.  Good luck. 

Thanks.  I am finding the process confusing at the moment.  It is much harder buying clubs when one is lefthanded.  

• Bridgestone B X.

2 hours ago, HAC said:

Thanks.  I am finding the process confusing at the moment.  It is much harder buying clubs when one is lefthanded.  

I just found about 20 choices of 5woods, reg flex, left handed in about 30 seconds at this link: https://www.globalgolf.com/golf-clubs/fairway-wood/left-hand/?flx=1&styp=18

Looks like they are mostly Cobra, Taylormade, and Callaway with a couple Ping, Mizuno and others sprinkled in. I didn't see any Titleist in the lot. I have purchased from this company before with good results. 

This website is a little harder to use but, I found a Titleist: https://www.callawaygolfpreowned.com/other-brands/by-brand/titleist/titleist-fairway-woods/titleist-917-f2-fairway-wood.html#

I have also bought from this website before. 

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

2 hours ago, HAC said:

I totally forgot to mention the only new clubs I buy are from here: https://www.golfworks.com/paks/c/10015/filter/100000000162eq100000000164/ 

New left handed fairway wood with Mitsubishi Kuro Kage shaft for $85 built to your specs. Lots of left handed options. 

I game my wedges and driving iron made by Maltby - lots of MGS users play their stuff. 

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

On 9/26/2020 at 11:05 AM, Buffly said:

I just found about 20 choices of 5woods, reg flex, left handed in about 30 seconds at this link: https://www.globalgolf.com/golf-clubs/fairway-wood/left-hand/?flx=1&styp=18

Looks like they are mostly Cobra, Taylormade, and Callaway with a couple Ping, Mizuno and others sprinkled in. I didn't see any Titleist in the lot. I have purchased from this company before with good results. 

This website is a little harder to use but, I found a Titleist: https://www.callawaygolfpreowned.com/other-brands/by-brand/titleist/titleist-fairway-woods/titleist-917-f2-fairway-wood.html#

I have also bought from this website before. 

I don't buy clubs randomly without trying them out or being fitted.  Buying online seems like a great way to waste a whole bunch of money.

Edited by HAC
  • Bridgestone B X.

2 minutes ago, HAC said:

I don't buy clubs randomly without trying them out or being fitted.  Buying online seems like a great way to waste a whole bunch of money.

They have a satisfaction guaranty with free returns so there is no risk.

18 hours ago, Buffly said:

They have a satisfaction guaranty with free returns so there is no risk.

We don't need to have a debate.  I am getting fitted before I buy a club.  The head is not the only thing.  I want to try the clubs with different shafts at different weights, etc.

Edited by HAC
  • Bridgestone B X.

5 hours ago, HAC said:

We don't need to have a debate.  I am getting fitted before I buy a club.  The head is not the only thing.  I want to try the clubs with different shafts at different weights, etc.

Even better! Good luck

I used to carry a 5 wood 16°  but when I bought the new clubs I added a 18° Callaway Epic Hybrid. I found that the difference in distance was only 10m and the hybrid has a much more penetrating flight. I also found that I could work the ball better with the hybrid.

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

I think I was Lukes who posted a great link about hybrids/5-woods/4 irons. TXG was the site... its all about trajectories.... 

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Well to add confusion in a nutshell it can be confusing. I just happen to be playing the same brand of hybrids right now as my fairway wood ( Adams). Now all of them are the same brand but different models shafts and years. But as SOP for me I am fixing to throw a monkey wrench in the whole shebang. I finally got around to reshafting my beloved TM V Steel 7 wood yesterday. It did have a shaft that had became too stiff for me. I found a A flex Diamana in a pile of shafts so I put that in last night will try later on today. I hit the 19 hybrid ok but that little 7 wood I have sentimental value connected to it and carried it a long time and have hit some spectacular shots with it in the past including a 200 yard hole out for an Albatross back in 08. 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G