Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Affordable Golf Simulator

I know, I know ... it's an Optishot2 and not a trackman or GC Quad or even a skytrak.... but, it's relatively inexpensive, would be fun during the winter and looks pretty simple to build.

I've gotta try this!

https://rogueengineer.com/diy-golf-simulator-plans/

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

That is exactly what I did. Lots of fun during the off season or rainy days. Takes a bit to dial everything in but it works well. Projector is key don't skimp there. I built a similar platform too.  I suggest going to the Optishot website and review system requirements and lighting so you don't have any surprises.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

Great stuff.  An aerospace engineer... guys already got street cred 🙂.  He mentions that the screen built in this instruction is for foam balls only.  I wonder if he has an option for real ones?  

@Tom the Golf Nut, can your set-up handle real balls?

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

10 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Great stuff.  An aerospace engineer... guys already got street cred 🙂.  He mentions that the screen built in this instruction is for foam balls only.  I wonder if he has an option for real ones?  

Probably because they built the screen so close to the wall.   To hit real balls there should be a 12"+ gap between the net/screen and the wall.  And if you hit enough shots a ball will eventually go through.   MGS headquarters has gone through a few,  but those nets are getting hit into a lot. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

11 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Probably because they built the screen so close to the wall.   To hit real balls there should be a 12"+ gap between the net/screen and the wall.  And if you hit enough shots a ball will eventually go through.   MGS headquarters has gone through a few,  but those nets are getting hit into a lot. 

If I were to invest in this DIY, I'd most definitely want capability to hit real balls. I wonder if anyone makes a screen specially designed for golf LM use?  Even a standard screen with a reinforced bullseye area would be good.

Here is an article on screens from MGS, I'd definitely go this route.  https://mygolfspy.com/carls-place-impact-screens-the-real-deal/

Also if you are going to put in the work to build a setup like this I would highly recommend building it not specifically for just an optishot.  The platform, screen, netting, any sort of cage type structure that you build should translate to a different launch monitor setup as well.  If down the road you want to upgrade to a skytrak or more you don't want to have to rebuild half your setup.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

17 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Yes I can hit both.

I went the inexpensive route. I got a king size white sheet over a canvas drop cloth. Then behind these is carpeting from when I removed the carpet from my daughters room and put in Pergo. All these are suspended from the celing. No bounce back. Ball hits and drops. Sheet $20.00, drop cloth $30.OO, carpet free. This has held up for a few years already. If any sagging occurs wash and dry the sheet or spend $20 on a new one. Still have the originals up.

5 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Yes I can hit both.

I went the inexpensive route. I got a king size white sheet over a canvas drop cloth. Then behind these is carpeting from when I removed the carpet from my daughters room and put in Pergo. All these are suspended from the celing. No bounce back. Ball hits and drops. Sheet $20.00, drop cloth $30.OO, carpet free. This has held up for a few years already. If any sagging occurs wash and dry the sheet or spend $20 on a new one. Still have the originals up.

I like the way you think!

Thanks, I can get creative. Impact screens are expensive and don't hold up long enough.

9 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

If I were to invest in this DIY, I'd most definitely want capability to hit real balls. I wonder if anyone makes a screen specially designed for golf LM use?  Even a standard screen with a reinforced bullseye area would be good.

as people have mentioned,  there are lots of screens specific for LM use.  The problem is that the ball generally hits the same spot over and over again so they wear out.   Lots of options out there and they can be inexpensive.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 minute ago, cnosil said:

The problem is that the ball generally hits the same spot over and over again so they wear out.

Oh. Well then, in my case, no problem 😆.

18 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Oh. Well then, in my case, no problem 😆.

Kind of like how i never have to worry about caving in my driver face from repeated impact in the same location. I spread out the impacts over the face to increase lifecycle of my drivers.

Driver : :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 9* MC Kuro Kago Silver 60 Stiff

Woods : :benhogan-small: GS53 3 Wood 14* Mitsubish Tensei Blue 73g Regular

Hybrids: sub70logo.png.3c207e4e90c1eeca7b9a917b5fa4b848.png 949X Project X HZRDUS RDX Black 

Irons : sub70logo.png.3c207e4e90c1eeca7b9a917b5fa4b848.png 699 Pro Black 5-AW 1* flat KBS Tour V 90 Stiff Shafts 

Wedges : File:Kirkland Signature logo.svg - Wikimedia Commons 52, 56, 60 

Putter : :taylormade-small:Spider Red

Bag : datrek-brand_1456761019__86876.original.jpg.7c24f9ae71c7730ce29a828226731487.jpg lightweight cart bag | motocaddy.jpg.258c0b46e60c2804fc6b1f64bca0aef3.jpgDry Series Bag

Ball :  :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX (2019) | Screen-Shot-2017-07-20-at-7_24.05-AM-300x118.png.9f1c4cb1d62511ee40a05bd6d5795f97.png ProV1x (2021)

Rangefinder : 836d5c8b9e44880db86abcd3b735255d.w2480_h836.jpg.bcd4050c642957abbdca7453a6cb0469.jpg ULT-X

Pushcart : motocaddy.jpg.258c0b46e60c2804fc6b1f64bca0aef3.jpgM5 GPS DHC Electric Push Cart

SoCal, USA

Right handed HDCP 16.4

• 1 year later...

This is an old thread but I want to revive it with one of the most cost effective indoor putting DIYS out. It also saved me from the treachourous Erie winters, lol. I paid around $100 for a 15' roll and it rolled surprisingly super pure as advertised. I even chalk line on it and being a D1 player, I seriously feel like I'm on an outdoor putting green getting the most out of my practice. To the build the base costs $150-200 for a 4x 15' build. Heres the DIY i used for the project    https://camrygolf.com/indoor-putting-green-diy-build-plan/  

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2022 at 4:56 PM, bjm1208 said:

Best DIY impact screen directions I’ve found:  https://gunghogolf.com/articles/diy-impact-screen-enclosure

Optishot is good for hitting balls and playing courses.  Mevo+ or Skytrak if you want metrics to work on your swing

I used this for my enclosure, it turned out great.

Edited by Parshooter36

Driver: :taylormade-small: QI10 Max
Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3HL
Fairway: :ping-small: G425 Max 9 Wood
Hybrid: :PXG: 0317 5 & 6 Hybrids

Irons: :srixon-small: ZX4 7-AW
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50° 54° & 58°
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:
 Array F-3 
Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour Yellow

• 2 months later...

For the price the OptiShot 2 looks great. The stats are more than adequate - Club speed / face angle / path / contact. I can hit it a long way but I need to learn to control path and face angle. I can hit balls all day long at the local driving range fitted with Trackman and not have a clue about those stats. Nice trace line on the screen - but what caused that flight?

Nige
"A bad attitude is worse than a bad swing"
Driver:    Ping i25 9.5 dialled down to 9.0 
Wood:     Slazenger 3 wood
Hybrid:   Ping i25  17*
Irons:      Ping i25 4-SW stiff shaft Green dot (factory adjusted - I only live an hour away)
Wedge:   Cougar Tour Touch I 50*    
Wedge:   Cleveland RTX 588 58*
Putter:   Wilson Staff Infinite THE "L" 
Balls:      Srixon Distance (based on personal testing - work best for my game)
Other:    Shot Scope - can't live without the data! 

I enjoy my Optishot. I was originally going to get Skytrak as part of my setup when we finished our basement. I had a spot all picked out in the unfinished area of the basement. Of course when everything was finished my sim area was much smaller than I had envisioned.  I decided real balls were not really a safe option. Reviews for Skytrack and accurate results with foam balls weren’t very encouraging. It seemed like $2000 for less than accurate readings didn’t excite me a whole lot. I decided to give Optishot a shot. I did a lot of research. Found a way to tape my driver so it read my driver as well as the rest of my clubs. Played with the distance settings a little and it a pretty good simulation of what I do on the course. It gets me through the winter and it’s helped my game all for around $700 with the mat and net.

D- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

Hybrid- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699 U  21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges- Sub 70 286 50+54, Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree 

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach soft # 11

Ball- Titleist Tour Soft