TESTERS WANTED! ×

2020 Official Member Review: BirdieBall PuttUp

GolfSpy MPR

With Christmas exploding at the house and now a massive dead tree in my living room, I've gone to a 'fast setup' with the PuttUp in which I just roll out the matt, put some of my kids toys down on the corners to weigh it down and smooth out the ripples, and then putt on the flat surface. I really can't leave it out that long without the kids destroying it or the wife yelling about how much space it takes up. Regardless, I do like how quickly the mat flattens out and I can get in 45 minutes of practice before the landlord starts to fuss. 

Once we get through the holidays and I get my living room back, I'll go back to the full setup. But it is nice to roll it out and be putting in a couple of minutes. 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

• 2 weeks later...

My oldest managed to take a small divot out of the mat this morning...I was a tad pissed so I'll take pics and post the damage later this evening.  

I've ordered the mat fill from BirdieBall and will post pics/videos of the repair process. It appears to be a simple fix. 

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • Lefty

Oooops! My Lab snuck into the garage after I'd set up my mat....

IMG_20180522_125120938.jpg.91d4d43cc2d1a3dc2a748c363ce10ec5.jpg

🤦‍♂️

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Sounds like they have a repair kit for that kind of damage?  If so that is great to be able to fix it and save your investment.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

3 hours ago, EasyPutter said:

more 19th hole activity

HA! Love it .. gotta keep those 12-/16-oz curls going 🍻

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

On 12/17/2020 at 10:55 AM, cksurfdude said:

Oooops! My Lab snuck into the garage after I'd set up my mat....

IMG_20180522_125120938.jpg.91d4d43cc2d1a3dc2a748c363ce10ec5.jpg

🤦‍♂️

Fill kit is free (+$6.99 shipping) on their site. I received mine about a week after I ordered it. My damage isn't as severe but still requires the fill kit. That...uh...wow...'man's best friend' huh?

• Lefty

11 hours ago, txgolfjunkie said:

That...uh...wow...'man's best friend' huh?

Thanks for that info - def gonna order one.

Yeah I still love the little booger. Anything new on the floor, anywhere, instantly becomes his! I just look at the nail marks kinda like spike marks on the green - so it's more realistic now ☺️☺️☺️

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well I was checking out this thread to see if anyone has dogs and how the mat was holding up... I didn't have to scroll too far as I opened right up to @cksurfdude and his puppy's prints.  

Did you end up getting/using the fill kit?  I'd be interested to hear how that worked for you.  I really like the idea of the birdieball mat, but I've got two pups of my own here that do not now boundaries, so this would likely happen to me too.  

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

On 12/30/2020 at 2:14 PM, B.Boston said:

Well I was checking out this thread to see if anyone has dogs and how the mat was holding up... I didn't have to scroll too far as I opened right up to @cksurfdude and his puppy's prints.  

Did you end up getting/using the fill kit?  I'd be interested to hear how that worked for you.  I really like the idea of the birdieball mat, but I've got two pups of my own here that do not now boundaries, so this would likely happen to me too.  

Supposedly on the way. The mat is actually not in use right now - since I got the ExPutt! - but I'll try the repair and let you guys know.....

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

• 1 month later...
I don't have the slip issue with the mat and my hardwood floors. Maybe it's the humidity that keeps the base layer snug to the floor. Maybe it's the weight of the guy hitting putts that keep it in place...maybe it's the fact that my kids probably spilled milk on the floor and it's now sticky and keeping the mat in place. Either way, no issues on my floors. 
I played a quick 9 the day before Thanksgiving and the greens were slick. I was pleasantly surprised by the pace of my putts. It wasn't a course I normally frequent so the reads on the putts weren't as good as I would like. I attribute the speed to the PuttUp.
I'm planning to play on slick country club greens this Tuesday. I'll spend my evenings on the PuttUp to prep. I'll report back on my progress on a round that could involve pre$$ure putt$.  
I am gonna be counting on that sticky milk on my doug fir floors lol thanks for the reviews everyone, very close to pulling the trigger on a 10x2 bball.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:wilson_staff_small: Triton 10.5 degree regular flex
:taylormade-small: R580 3 & 5 stiff flex 
1700984641_Screenshot2021-02-09at1_22_31PM.png.826d2fd278c265f02c50f581ec750bf5.png Inazone Single Length 4H
:cobra-small: 5i-SW Cobra Fmax ONE Length regular flex steel
:ping-small: Sigma 2 Tyne 4 
:ping-small: 2021 Hoofer 

image.jpeg.f0b1d1d2bc3b2ec6880dd6c9a3b096e9.jpeg   image.jpeg.231a9c2f1e7b1dc46388ceac1039351a.jpeg     image.png.32ebfd5998dc591ff68ab71bb6d09b08.png

• 3 weeks later...

I'll offer a follow-up to the BirdieBall PuttUp after a few months of ownership. 

Ease of Use: I store the PuttUp in the garage in the original box unless I'm using it. My use is about 3 or 4 nights/week for about 30-45 minutes. I don't want to waste time setting up flags, bumpers, etc so I grab two scrap 1x4x4 pieces of Home Depot's finest pine to weigh down both ends of the mat. The majority of the mat lays flat but the ends curl due to how it's stored. The wood strips don't really interfere with practice as the mat eventually lays completely flat after about 15 minutes. I roll it out, lay down the wood (no pun intended) and start putting in less than 60 seconds. When I'm done, I can pack it away just as quickly. 

Durability: This is surprisingly resilient to nicks, dings and scuffs from the kids and their toys. I don't leave it out very often for the kids to run all over it but sometimes I get lazy and the boys realize dad's prized golf practice aid is out for use. I do have a fill kit but I haven't had the need to use it just yet. The mat does a great job 'rebounding' to fill depressions on its own. I use the brush once a month so I don't get grooves in the turf layer from rolling the same putt over and over. 

Performance transferring out on course: If I don't arrive in time to hit a few putts on the putting green prior to the round, I might struggle with speed on the first few greens but I've noticed a significant improvement out of the gate with getting putts on line and making putts inside 6'. I really do see an improvement in tempo and my confidence that the putt will start on the intended line. Could that just be the fact that I'm practicing my stroke more frequently? Possibly. But practicing on a surface similar to an actual green does seem to be paying off. 

Overall: There has been a noticeable improvement in my putting during a time of year where it normally struggles. The ease of use and durability has been a pleasant surprise after my initial use and disappointment in how long it would take to setup and tear down. It's a keeper in my book! 

• Lefty

• 3 weeks later...

Spring is in the air - time to fine tune the chipping 

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

• 2 weeks later...

660BFB71-D012-4E13-8C09-DA315BC2E6D4.jpeg.e89711372a303373b4e4e52b16ddddbc.jpeg
 BirdieBall makes a set of hole reducers.  I’m not wild about the half moon shapes that cover half the hole, but I really really like this style. The package had two of these, one as thick as the mat, and one twice the thickness - which for their regular mats you use an extra cup base and another ring to raise the mat up, but for the PuttUp works great for the deeper holes. 

So anxious to get out on the course, but between work, rain, and the fact our grass is just now starting to green up it hasn’t happened yet.  Trying to make the most of my inside practice - the chipping (above), varying my putting practice...

The mat has been with me all winter in my hotel (work’s home away from home).  Even when I’m not practicing I walk across it every day .  I gotta say, I’ve seen no damage, impact or wear and tear.  It just springs back.  Granted, I have no kids to take a divot out of it, and no dogs to try and dig a hole in it.  I stand on it while swinging my OrangeWhip, but make no ground contact other than my stance. 

No signs of wear around the cups. The edges are still sharp  - though I don’t use the hole liners for all the cups.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts

• 3 weeks later...

Daily routine - putt 3 balls into the reduced cup, chip three balls into the middle (+4) cup, and putt 3 balls off the Pelz tutor to the farthest (+8) cup.  The poor +6 cup in the left hand corner gets no love.  Gotta make those 9 before I stop.  One routine in the morning before work, and one in the evening. Unfortunately it can take longer than it should...

IMG_6884.JPG.f1fa604859aef350d52a2120853f73df.JPG

First round of the season, (lots of rust tee to green and it was 38* when I teed off)  and I don’t want to judge off just one round; but a nice start to the year on the greens.  Misses were short - not a shocker for April.  But NO PULLS .  Everything started on the intended line.  No missed inside five feet.   I’ll take a “you’ve improved “ any time  

B17FD47B-C6BC-4951-803A-8DE2CAF904CB.jpeg.f1638dd6c62e8f69112bbf46a210b96d.jpeg

This is my curent setup with the Birdie Ball PuttUp...while the baby girl sleeps, daddy works on his 6-8' putts. Nurses aren't too happy but hey...the grind never stops.

97492A56-771C-43C9-AB7C-8BBBFF5F3360.jpeg

• Lefty

14 hours ago, txgolfjunkie said:

This is my curent setup with the Birdie Ball PuttUp...while the baby girl sleeps, daddy works on his 6-8' putts.

Congratulations!  Way to start her early. 

brave man btw....

8 hours ago, EasyPutter said:

Now that is real dedication to one's sport.  I see there is no padding in those holes, is there that delightful clunk sound with the buzz as the bounce softens out?  Perhaps getting the nurse to try their hand at a few putts might help bring them around to the idea that putting and hospital rounds really do go together (both have rounds!)

With these long hallways, I feel like I should create some sort of putt-putt course. No windmills on this course but I feel like I could find some cool obstacles in the birthing center closet. The floors here are quite muted so there's not a lot of audible feedback when you make a putt. I'll make sure I make note of that in the follow-up survey...'floors too soft and I don't get the audible feedback when making putts...2 stars'.

9 hours ago, WaffleHouseTour said:

Congratulations!  Way to start her early. 

brave man btw....

The PuttUp was the first thing I packed in the truck for this delivery. In fact, it took up so much room that I had to put my wife's bags in the truck bed. She was so over carrying this child that she just rolled her eyes as she saw the packing arrangement. I'm sure I'll get an earful when I get home but the male docs/nurses thought it was hilarious and the female nurses/docs...well...not so much. And carrying this mat through the parking garage, down the sky ramp, across the lobby, up the elevator, throguh the labor and delivery department...you get a lot of reactions. 

• Lefty

It seems the consensus that the BirdieBall makes a good product, one theme that seems to be agreed on by most of the reviewers is less holes. I see you can buy inserts to cover the holes, that said, if you could buy one of their products, would you go with the the PuttUp and cover the holes you don’t want, or one of the flat ones, with less holes? I guess overall the question is how much value does that ramp provide?

One of the things @EasyPuttersaid rang true with me, I know the way my brain works, and I know because the hole says +8’ that wouldn’t translate to the course in a 1:1. So curious thoughts now after a while of using it. 

BirdieBall Putting Greens

Edited by MFSOT

On 4/29/2021 at 1:00 PM, MFSOT said:

if you could buy one of their products, would you go with the the PuttUp and cover the holes you don’t want, or one of the flat ones, with less holes?

I’d buy the PuttUp.  Work on hitting longer putts. The upper left doesn’t get much use, but I do have a hole reducer in there and practice some breakers. It’s just all the variety you get with it. You can play it flat or use the ramp, or go back and forth.  I’ve really enjoyed it this winter. 

what I never really thought about before - but got into this winter -  was chipping onto it. I think if you want to chill you definitely want the ramp, unless you just have a super long one. 

Ill take a picture and post on Monday when I get back to my hotel of how I have the holes set up 

8B997CD7-7661-4861-9026-EC5414C64D9C.jpeg.3bb8336fc8e0ae549e78668cd6ea3fd8.jpeg

R2L Breakers; Shorties; Chips; 18 ft off the Pelz Tutor 

• 2 weeks later...

Caveat #1 - I’ve played less golf this season than I did in a week last spring... so I don’t yet have a reliable amount of data yet.

Caveat #2 - I “feel“ like I’m struggling on the greens.  It’s like I’ve become too dependent on my Pelz Tutor - there are no target lines on the green...  so picking my line is tough right now.  I’ll be putting that away this week....

Despite those two caveats, Arccos says I’ve made some modest gains.

185B0D80-1713-4695-8D3D-2DCBF89DD24C.jpeg.98187abae05e019d6b97c25fe48d40dd.jpeg62DB49C5-C5AF-47E6-9939-6432B276508B.jpeg.2de13d611efdbdce1cca2334d8edf971.jpeg

1 minute ago, WaffleHouseTour said:

Caveat #2 - I “feel“ like I’m struggling on the greens.  It’s like I’ve become too dependent on my Pelz Tutor - there are no target lines on the green...  so picking my line is tough right now.  I’ll be putting that away this week....

FYI... I'd attended an AimPoint clinic last year and it's been a HUGE help to me. YMMV, of course, but it really clarified + simplified the process of choosing a line .. so my primary focus is trying to get the speed right.

Yeah I'll still 3-putt a few times but that's pretty much either getting the speed wrong and running the ball way past the hole, or mis-stroking the putt and grounding the putter head on the way down or pulling / pushing the ball and missing my intended line.

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

I've wanted to do that.  How/where did you find one?  Expensive? (I know, there is no price we wouldn't pay to lower our score...)

3 hours ago, WaffleHouseTour said:

I've wanted to do that.  How/where did you find one?  Expensive? (I know, there is no price we wouldn't pay to lower our score...)

If you go to the AimPoint website, you can look up "Find An Instructor" (or Find A Clinic or something like that).

I'd read about it on (dare I say..) another forum .. the writer - a scratch golfer - talked about his experience with a clinic and how it had changed and improved *his* putting. Which surprised me as I'd just kinda "expected" that a scratch golfer is necessarily a really good putter!

So as it turns out that writer lives not too far from me, so I contacted the same instructor he'd seen - who is in the NYC area - and arranged a semi-private clinic that I shared with another forum member. If I recall correctly, we'd paid $200 each for 3 hours .. no not cheap, and no idea what a regular clinic guess for, but yeah well worth it!!

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

3E580B6E-5D4A-4D9B-B4CA-A54D50BD028E.jpeg.04c673637392926846a35e18392d65ab.jpeg

Good day around the greens.  Gotta be honest, it’s chipping it close that has made the most difference. The last few weeks I bet I’ve hit more chips onto the BirdieBall than putts. That is what has really helped. If you aren’t chipping onto the PuttUp, you aren’t using it to its full potential. 

• 1 month later...

I have felt lost on the greens for the last month. Tough to see the line. Hesitancy about ball position, is it creeping forward, sliding back. Just no confidence. 

I have also been practicing just my driver (way too much) and irons. Really neglected the short game. 

So this week I was on the road for work all week, and broke out the Birdie Ball and Pelz tutor in my hotel room.  It’s been rolled up in its original box all summer. 

And today…

C3F348FA-23C1-48B0-A3AB-E05749030273.jpeg.c64388b5394e0d24697ec91d0d2c123d.jpeg 213F415C-9935-4728-AE8D-830CEB60E085.jpeg.c5708e68e3ac29e91fc35ced1f44de2f.jpeg

so it turns out practice does help…

Great Review! Well done guys.  I love my Perfect Practice mat...but being able to get different size mats with different angles to putt makes me think maybe I need one in the office and at home????

Driver: SIM2 10.5 turned down to 9.5 with Ventus Blue 6X Velocore

3WD: MAVRIK SZ

5WD: MAVRIK SZ

3i: Titleist U500 w/ Tour AD 95X

5-PW: Mizuno MP20 MMC w/ C-Tape Lite X 115

52: Mizuno T20 Chrome

56 & 60: Cleveland ZipCore Tour Raw

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2 (34"/4/71)

Ball: THE Titleist Pro V1x