2020 Official Member Review: BirdieBall PuttUp

Well, I tried a variation on the weekly test. 4 different lengths 1 ball per hole. Again  I don't believe the results are representative of my actual putting skills.  So back to the drawing board. 

Today I tried putting from the longest distance with all the putters working from oldest to newest.  Interesting results.  The older ones consistently missed right, this continued until I got to the Taylormade, then "plunk" every shot in the hole. Same with the Odyssey.  This needs some investigation. 

The pic is of this weeks test setup.  This well be changing....I think.

Chris 

20201010_101753.jpg

• Like 5

Far and Sure......

:ping-small:G410 SFT (10.5 degree), Project X Hzrdus Yellow Stiff Shaft

:ping-small:: G20 4W

:callaway-small:       GBB Epic 7W (Heavenwood)

:ping-small:: G410 4 thru GW

:callaway-logo-1:   MD3 54*  

:wilson_staff_small: PMP FG Tour 60*                                                        

:odyssey-small:    OWorks Black #1

:taylormade-small: TP5 Pix

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

well, that’s just not true. none of you know who i am.  before all of that, though...thank you thank you thank you MGS and BirdieBall for letting me test out what promises to be a really cool new

Hello there fellow spies. To introduce myself, I’ll start with my name - Christopher Rants, and I live in Sioux City Iowa - where the leaves are starting to fall and snow will cover the greens soon en

Today my putt up arrived. I had to take my dog to daycare because although I measured out an area the mat is much bigger than you think once you get it. I got it built and moved to the garage so I can

Posted Images

Today's practice - what I'll be doing all week - sink eight balls without hitting the marbles - I've got to focus on a short backswing to keep from knocking the marble out of place. 

Yes, yes, I've got some bow in my top piece of plywood - it flexes when I walk around on it - but stays still when I'm still.  Going to have to fix that.

• Like 7

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

i've developed a pretty standard practice session with my mat now. having it in the basement with the tv and surround sound down there makes for a very inviting practice space.  i've found it really easy to go downstairs and put a solid 30-60 minutes of work in.

my sessions go along these lines mostly:

around 50 short putts using a one-handed gate drill.  i set up around 3' from the 14' hole (so maybe 5' with the ramp coming in to play) and sink 5 putts at a time alternating hands as i go.

around 20-30 slightly longer putts with both hands still using the homemade gate (mat brush and tv remote).  i start off with my thumbs off the putter and once i get in a good groove, i put them back on and take my normal stroke.

then it's 5 putts to each target hole from the end of the mat.  i don't have any hard data to present, but it's extremely rare i go worse than 3 out of 5 on the full length putts.

if i still feel like practicing after that i'll just bounce around the mat hitting a putt or two at a time to each of the holes, sometimes varying where i'm hitting from - much like would happen during a round on the course.

the biggest takeaway so far is that i'm becoming much more comfortable and in tune with my putting stroke.  when i miss i can identify the fault (mostly it's leaving the face open, but i'm not immune to the odd heel strike) and then spend the next few putts correcting it.  working with my thumbs off the grip and really feeling what the putter head is doing has been a big eye opener for me.  

moving forward, i'd like to employ a real putting gate in conjunction with the mat.  i'll also probably pick up one of those thin metal yard sticks to see how well i'm actually rolling the ball on line.

in the few rounds i've played since getting the mat i can honestly say i've felt more confident than ever standing over the ball on the green.  my lag putting has been really good, as the number of times i've 3 putted has come way down, and i've holed a lot more putts from 6-8 feet.

as we get into the colder weather here, i'm going to have to develop some sort of metric to test my putting using the mat.  i'll get to work on that.

• Like 5

:taylormade-small: SIM2 8º | KuroKage XT 70TX
:taylormade-small: SIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX
:titelist-small: U500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
:titelist-small: T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
::vokey-small: SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
:scotty-small:  Futura 5w

So this happened today...

32 putts, 1.7 per hole, 0 threes. Coulda shoulda been better missing a couple makeable birdies because I misread the break. Maybe next week I’ll take the ramp out and slide some magazines under to work on break reading... but now I’m sticking with moving the Putting Tutor around.

IMG_6365.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 5
  • Love 2

Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts

On 10/13/2020 at 5:05 PM, WaffleHouseTour said:

Today's practice - what I'll be doing all week - sink eight balls without hitting the marbles - I've got to focus on a short backswing to keep from knocking the marble out of place. 

Yes, yes, I've got some bow in my top piece of plywood - it flexes when I walk around on it - but stays still when I'm still.  Going to have to fix that.

From the video it seems your alignment and contact is slightly on the toe side of the sweet spot.  Maybe it is a camera angle thing.  I am looking at this on putting videos now because in videoing my Heppler testing I noticed I was off the sweet spot on my stroke.

Modern Bag:  Ping G410+ 9*, Accra TourZ X265 M5;  Snake Eyes 18* & 23* Hybrids; Golfsmith Tour Cavity Forged 3i;  Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Cleveland Tour Action 49*, 53*, 57*; PX LZ 6.5 ;  Ping Heppler Fetch;  Ball - Snell MTB-X; Bag - Sun Mountain H2NO 

Classic Bag:  Driver - Wilson Staff Persimmon; 3w - Hogan Speed Slot; 5w - Wilson Staff Tour Block; 3 - pw - Staff Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

Great stuff so far everyone!  I apologize if I've missed it, but with this being as big as it is, has anyone done the roll up test?  I couldn't imagine my wife would allow that to sit in a room 24/7/365.  With a lot of putting mats that I've had in the past, you start getting curl up on the ends no matter if you roll it up both ways or not.  

Also, has anyone notice if imperfections of the surface the BirdieBall mat is sitting on affecting the roll of the ball?  Whether that be break, bounce, etc.

Driver: PXG 0811 X Gen 2
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – AW: Taylormade P760
SW: Vokey SM7 M Grind
LW: Cleveland RTX 4 X-Low
Putter: Ping Vault Oslo

1 hour ago, goaliewales14 said:

Great stuff so far everyone!  I apologize if I've missed it, but with this being as big as it is, has anyone done the roll up test?  I couldn't imagine my wife would allow that to sit in a room 24/7/365.  With a lot of putting mats that I've had in the past, you start getting curl up on the ends no matter if you roll it up both ways or not.  

Also, has anyone notice if imperfections of the surface the BirdieBall mat is sitting on affecting the roll of the ball?  Whether that be break, bounce, etc.

As I stated earlier, keep the box. It's a thicker foam that doesn't necessarily roll up into a tidy spiral. It's natural state is to lay flat. It does show footprints for about 15-20 seconds just like a real green. 

With that being said, I haven't had any problems after I unroll it. By the time you set up the incline, cups, cup liners, bumpers, etc, it's ready to go. The bumpers add some nice weight to it to help it lay flat. I haven't noticed any creases, bumps, random slope to the green after I've unrolled it. I use it for a night, store it for one or two nights and then get it back out for a few hours. It is stored in the garage and the box itself is about the size of what a tour bag might come in. 

• Like 4
  • :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5* w/ VA Composites Nemesys 65 X tipped 1/2" 
  • :ping-small: G425 LST 3W 14.5* w/ Ping Tour 75X
  • :srixon-small: ZX Utility 18* w/ Project X 6.5
  • :callaway-small: X Forged 21* w/ Tour Issue Dynamic Gold S400
  • :taylormade-small: 2020 P770 5-PW w/ Tour Issue Dynamic Gold X100
  • :ping-small: Glide 3.0 54* & 58* w/ Dynamic Gold S400
  • :ping-small: Sigma 2 Arna - 35.25"...coming soon: Evnroll ER5B
  •  Pro V1x Left Dash
  • I'm left-handed so I don't go broke buying all new clubs every week. 
1 hour ago, goaliewales14 said:

IMG_6372.JPG.d9ed8acaae146837465087cae857894e.JPG  She Who Must Be Obeyed complains that I save empty boxes.. but this is why. As txgolfjunkie  said, keep the box to store it in.  They recommend storing it with the "fuzzy" or surface side out.  That also helps keep it flat and not curl as well I would imagine.  The box is about 18 inches across.  For the most part I've kept mine laid out; but come winter it will be traveling to my hotel room with me - so I'll share impressions then. 

To your question about imperfections and the roll- I think it rolls very true.  It is funny, the "fuzzy" side - but it feels like when you glide your hand across a real green.  

Will be experimenting with creating breaks in the future.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Shapotomous said:

From the video it seems your alignment and contact is slightly on the toe side of the sweet spot.  Maybe it is a camera angle thing.  I am looking at this on putting videos now because in videoing my Heppler testing I noticed I was off the sweet spot on my stroke.

Hmmmm.... could be...  I moved the tutor over toward the middle and made sure I had the iPhone camera directly behind the ball looking down the line. 

Got this screen grab right after impact.  Looks to me like the alignment lines are aligned. 

1797967968_ScreenShot2020-10-15at11_14_27AM.png.d6f72ca52336d93456b9aae43a483184.png 

But one always has to be sure - so I appreciate the suggestions.  If you see something I don't, please share.

I typically alternate between two putters, so I'll need to check my Heavy Scotty as well.  I do notice I'm a little toe up - but I'm not sure that is hurting anything.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WaffleHouseTour said:

Hmmmm.... could be...  I moved the tutor over toward the middle and made sure I had the iPhone camera directly behind the ball looking down the line. 

Got this screen grab right after impact.  Looks to me like the alignment lines are aligned. 

1797967968_ScreenShot2020-10-15at11_14_27AM.png.d6f72ca52336d93456b9aae43a483184.png 

But one always has to be sure - so I appreciate the suggestions.  If you see something I don't, please share.

I typically alternate between two putters, so I'll need to check my Heavy Scotty as well.  I do notice I'm a little toe up - but I'm not sure that is hurting anything.  

It's hard to tell alignment from a camera for sure.  To me those strokes look pure and the putts on line.  I've been paying special attention to alignment and impact at the sweetspot during my testing and drills and then reviewing what it looks like on video.  If the camera is off center a little it messes it up.  Also using a gopro like I am it has a sort of fish eye effect too.

• Like 1

Modern Bag:  Ping G410+ 9*, Accra TourZ X265 M5;  Snake Eyes 18* & 23* Hybrids; Golfsmith Tour Cavity Forged 3i;  Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Cleveland Tour Action 49*, 53*, 57*; PX LZ 6.5 ;  Ping Heppler Fetch;  Ball - Snell MTB-X; Bag - Sun Mountain H2NO 

Classic Bag:  Driver - Wilson Staff Persimmon; 3w - Hogan Speed Slot; 5w - Wilson Staff Tour Block; 3 - pw - Staff Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

This weekends practice: removed the ramp to practice shorter and flatter putts. Want to be sure I’m not always trying to make 17 footers. Added some side break by sliding a magazine around underneath. I’ll say this, the size does allow you to try lots of different angles, and putting diagonal across it. Removing those distance indicators let’s you try to roll some in from the side. IMG_6380.JPGIMG_6377.JPG

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, WaffleHouseTour said:

This weekends practice: removed the ramp to practice shorter and flatter putts. Want to be sure I’m not always trying to make 17 footers. Added some side break by sliding a magazine around underneath. I’ll say this, the size does allow you to try lots of different angles, and putting diagonal across it. Removing those distance indicators let’s you try to roll some in from the side. IMG_6380.JPGIMG_6377.JPG

How did the break setup with the magazines work out? I have a thin mat and some unlevel spots so I get a break everytime even if I don't want it. Also I am amazed your cat let's you putt. Mine is always jumping on them before I can hole them.

• Like 2

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS Review

:cobra-small: SZ Extreme 9° HZRDUS Smoke Green 60g 6.5 | :taylormade-small: '07 Burner 15° Reax 50 Stiff 

:titelist-small: 816 H1 18° Fujikura Speeder HB 8.8 Stiff | :titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Diamana S+ Blue 70 Stiff

:ping-small:  I500 5 - UW Red Dot Dynamic Gold S300 | :Hogan: Equalizer 52° / 56° KBS Tour V 110 Stiff

:cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0 | :ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :bridgestone-small: Tour BX | Right Handed

:SuperSpeed: Follow My Super Speed Progress Here 

13 hours ago, ejgaudette said:

How did the break setup with the magazines work out? I have a thin mat and some unlevel spots so I get a break everytime even if I don't want it. Also I am amazed your cat let's you putt. Mine is always jumping on them before I can hole them.

They worked ok. I too have an un-level floor - I’ve got some extra plywood on one side to even it out. You can see I keep a level around and am always tinkering with it. The magazine works ok, but it’s a bit of trial and error. Don’t just push it right up to the hole... The Golfers Journal is pretty thick too, I’ve also slipped some Golf Digest in as well for less break.  I’m looking for subtle breaks, like a ball out or on the edge. Those are the kinds that give me the most problems from three or four feet. 

Holly, the cat, isn’t a problem. She about 13 years old, so she’s beyond the days of batting balls around. She just looks at me like I’m a little crazy then curls up on the bed for a nap. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WaffleHouseTour said:

They worked ok. I too have an un-level floor - I’ve got some extra plywood on one side to even it out. You can see I keep a level around and am always tinkering with it. The magazine works ok, but it’s a bit of trial and error. Don’t just push it right up to the hole... The Golfers Journal is pretty thick too, I’ve also slipped some Golf Digest in as well for less break.  I’m looking for subtle breaks, like a ball out or on the edge. Those are the kinds that give me the most problems from three or four feet. 

Holly, the cat, isn’t a problem. She about 13 years old, so she’s beyond the days of batting balls around. She just looks at me like I’m a little crazy then curls up on the bed for a nap. 

That makes sense I hate that subtle amount of break in the shorter putts as well, Normally just try to hammer those for better or worse.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS Review

:cobra-small: SZ Extreme 9° HZRDUS Smoke Green 60g 6.5 | :taylormade-small: '07 Burner 15° Reax 50 Stiff 

:titelist-small: 816 H1 18° Fujikura Speeder HB 8.8 Stiff | :titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Diamana S+ Blue 70 Stiff

:ping-small:  I500 5 - UW Red Dot Dynamic Gold S300 | :Hogan: Equalizer 52° / 56° KBS Tour V 110 Stiff

:cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0 | :ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :bridgestone-small: Tour BX | Right Handed

:SuperSpeed: Follow My Super Speed Progress Here 

Ok, hope this works.....

Tried some chips onto the mat. Looks like it'll work. Planning to clean out the area behind me in the video to get longer chips in along with putting this winter.

Chris

• Like 3

Far and Sure......

:ping-small:G410 SFT (10.5 degree), Project X Hzrdus Yellow Stiff Shaft

:ping-small:: G20 4W

:callaway-small:       GBB Epic 7W (Heavenwood)

:ping-small:: G410 4 thru GW

:callaway-logo-1:   MD3 54*  

:wilson_staff_small: PMP FG Tour 60*                                                        

:odyssey-small:    OWorks Black #1

:taylormade-small: TP5 Pix

Ok one big thing I have found with the birdie ball mats is they do not store well at all. I have had my wrapped up for the last 3 months due to moving. All the holes look almost wrinkled and now there is a big crease across the side where the bumper was laying. Would be interested to see how the storage for yalls works?

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1
1 hour ago, tchat07 said:

Ok one big thing I have found with the birdie ball mats is they do not store well at all. I have had my wrapped up for the last 3 months due to moving. All the holes look almost wrinkled and now there is a big crease across the side where the bumper was laying. Would be interested to see how the storage for yalls works?

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Starting in January mine will be four nights rolled up in the box, followed by three nights on the floor, for about four months. So stay turned. 

14 hours ago, LeftyHawk said:

Ok, hope this works.....

Tried some chips onto the mat. Looks like it'll work. Planning to clean out the area behind me in the video to get longer chips in along with putting this winter.

Chris

That would make a great follow-on review and the kind of question I had when our selection was announced to us, how using a mat as in this video for chipping could enhance the BirdiePutt PuttUp practice experience.  Good to see how it worked out for your practice session Chris regardless of anything in the cup, that is inconsequential to the whole prospect of using the mat for practice.  Accuracy comes with development of muscle memory and of course that takes repetition and time.

Verified Hack, 28 handicap (down 2 in 2020) 🙂  Golfing for exercise and peace of mind.

|> Big Dogs: O'Donnell hybrids 10*, 15*, 19*, 27*, and Ginty 29* trouble club

|> Blades: MasterGrip 3i & 5i, Dynacraft Copperhead 7i, Wilson 8i, CTI 9i, and Worx 55* hybrid wedge

|> Flatstick: Pinemeadow Z-ON M1   

|> App: SwingU/Looper  

|> Club: CoverLogoS-H c sm.png"The World's Greatest Golf Club Without The Course"  www.stickandhack.com

⛳.  :1590477705_SunMountain: C130 Supercharged 🌲  :Clicgear:3.5+  🌳  :taylormade-small:    🏌️‍♂️         EPLogo sm.jpg      StickHackLogo2021-uai-50x185.png.93cce20f8b531850ac1d2054c3d18cd3.png

2020 Official Tester - PuttUp mat logo_full_331d238c-3cab-4f84-ac72-d09e86f448c5_300x-25.png.11580987b80d9d26da7f04a31eadac9d.png

2021 Official Tester - Inesis Waterproof Grip Golf Shoes 1398724741_Inesislogo.jpg.34e215e2c1310a7b31d310ab89f4c188.jpg

tonight’s practice:1051B78F-A7EA-48C1-8F3F-19A06A39D537.jpeg.01e068b85b8fc308bd18c7082091fede.jpeg

i wanted to work on shorter putts. a lot of times i’ll hit a not-so-great lag putt and find myself with 4-5 feet to save par (read bogey) and i struggle with those putts a lot. 

the goal was not only to sink the putt, but to actually hit the little flag stick, essentially drilling the putt dead center in the cup. 

each successful round (5 for 5) id back up another few inches. 

i found that i had a lot more success if i stood a bit taller and straightened my arms out a little bit. this allowed me to take some of the tension out of my arms and feel the weight of the putter head in my hands. 

solid night on the mat, even if it bored some people to sleep...

9449C120-0C13-48CA-A184-0230194A4E05.jpeg.7da52b4fdaa0eb4a372164b357c57381.jpeg

• Like 7

:taylormade-small: SIM2 8º | KuroKage XT 70TX
:taylormade-small: SIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX
:titelist-small: U500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
:titelist-small: T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
::vokey-small: SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
:scotty-small:  Futura 5w

Working from home for me is totally a pandemic thing but proved to be fortuitous this morning when the power went off and home mesh network went offline.  Hey, BirdieBall PuttUp doesn't need electrical power!

20201020_094143_resized.jpg.49d52d08c56c059d92a56b3ddb425509.jpgI took the cup liners out and the wedge to try the mat flat on the floor.  When I rolled the golf balls back from the holes, one left the mat and rolled away on the hardwoods.  It occurred to me that extending a bumper down that side would prevent it happening again and the immediate solution also solved an observation of not being able to putt from the end of the mat.

I moved the end longer bumper to the side and a shorter side bumper to the end creating a backstop pocket to catch the balls.  The extra putting cup and flag accentuate the stopping moment damping out any extra rolling energy reducing the chasing the balls effect.

Not a lot of natural light with the heavy rain outside, I could still take photos to show what I was trying to do with standing at the end of the mat and have the putter strike the ball without the bumper in the way.

20201020_094206_resized.jpg.ea676b0858b982713b0e2dc6fbecdb86.jpg

The wedge made a good mount for the phone so the camera could capture video to demonstrate the putting in the corner with no bumpers behind me.

In an earlier post I mentioned about breathing techniques to reach a base level body geometry for establishing a repeatable starting point for putting.  In the next video two putts are made, the first one is a somewhat rushed (for me) routine to putt and the second one is less rushed because of applying the breathing technique of inhaling and exhaling to a normal empty lungs level, which is held out until the putt is done. 

Sorry in advance for the sound of my breathing in the second putt but the phone camera was close to my face where it was on the wedge that on its side made a great place for the phone to capture the putts.

In the second putt you can hear the sound of the ball rolling into the cup.  Hmm, that sound didn't happen with the first putt - not on purpose but that is the effect of the breathing technique on my putting.  I know when I do the slower routine with the breathing strategy that the putt is going to be truer and better.

|>

After work, and a 9-hole round on a very wet golf course, there was time and plenty of light to show the bumper configuration that for me makes this a very good training ground for putting.

20201020_201042_resized.jpg.0131a4f9d8b78455520b2ba1b95ddf9c.jpg

The bumpers play an important role in keeping the balls on the mat and I presume a larger number of balls would be easier to contain this way too.  I prefer only a few balls as others quickly get in the way when rolling for accuracy with repetitive practice. 

Walking frequently helps me to slow down my process and to focus for each putt with the knowledge that a rushed one will mean walking for an errant ball instead of retrieving one well placed.

|>

Consider moving the bumpers, they attach easily enough and stay put where you put them so you can putt while you putter about.

Edited by EasyPutter
Getting it right
  • Like 3

Verified Hack, 28 handicap (down 2 in 2020) 🙂  Golfing for exercise and peace of mind.

|> Big Dogs: O'Donnell hybrids 10*, 15*, 19*, 27*, and Ginty 29* trouble club

|> Blades: MasterGrip 3i & 5i, Dynacraft Copperhead 7i, Wilson 8i, CTI 9i, and Worx 55* hybrid wedge

|> Flatstick: Pinemeadow Z-ON M1   

|> App: SwingU/Looper  

|> Club: CoverLogoS-H c sm.png"The World's Greatest Golf Club Without The Course"  www.stickandhack.com

⛳.  :1590477705_SunMountain: C130 Supercharged 🌲  :Clicgear:3.5+  🌳  :taylormade-small:    🏌️‍♂️         EPLogo sm.jpg      StickHackLogo2021-uai-50x185.png.93cce20f8b531850ac1d2054c3d18cd3.png

2020 Official Tester - PuttUp mat logo_full_331d238c-3cab-4f84-ac72-d09e86f448c5_300x-25.png.11580987b80d9d26da7f04a31eadac9d.png

2021 Official Tester - Inesis Waterproof Grip Golf Shoes 1398724741_Inesislogo.jpg.34e215e2c1310a7b31d310ab89f4c188.jpg