2020 Official Member Review: BirdieBall PuttUp

Daily routine - putt 3 balls into the reduced cup, chip three balls into the middle (+4) cup, and putt 3 balls off the Pelz tutor to the farthest (+8) cup.  The poor +6 cup in the left hand corner gets no love.  Gotta make those 9 before I stop.  One routine in the morning before work, and one in the evening. Unfortunately it can take longer than it should...

IMG_6884.JPG.f1fa604859aef350d52a2120853f73df.JPG

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

First round of the season, (lots of rust tee to green and it was 38* when I teed off)  and I don’t want to judge off just one round; but a nice start to the year on the greens.  Misses were short - not a shocker for April.  But NO PULLS .  Everything started on the intended line.  No missed inside five feet.   I’ll take a “you’ve improved “ any time  

B17FD47B-C6BC-4951-803A-8DE2CAF904CB.jpeg.f1638dd6c62e8f69112bbf46a210b96d.jpeg

• Like 4

Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts

This is my curent setup with the Birdie Ball PuttUp...while the baby girl sleeps, daddy works on his 6-8' putts. Nurses aren't too happy but hey...the grind never stops.

97492A56-771C-43C9-AB7C-8BBBFF5F3360.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 3
  • :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5* w/ VA Composites Nemesys 65 X tipped 1/2" 
  • :ping-small: G425 LST 3W 14.5* w/ Ping Tour 75X
  • :srixon-small: ZX Utility 18* w/ Project X 6.5
  • :callaway-small: X Forged 21* w/ Tour Issue Dynamic Gold S400
  • :taylormade-small: 2020 P770 5-PW w/ Tour Issue Dynamic Gold X100
  • :ping-small: Glide 3.0 54* & 58* w/ Dynamic Gold S400
  • :ping-small: Sigma 2 Arna - 35.25"...coming soon: Evnroll ER5B
  •  Pro V1x Left Dash
  • I'm left-handed so I don't go broke buying all new clubs every week. 

14 hours ago, txgolfjunkie said:

This is my curent setup with the Birdie Ball PuttUp...while the baby girl sleeps, daddy works on his 6-8' putts.

Congratulations!  Way to start her early. 

brave man btw....

• Like 3

14 hours ago, txgolfjunkie said:

This is my curent setup with the Birdie Ball PuttUp...while the baby girl sleeps, daddy works on his 6-8' putts. Nurses aren't too happy but hey...the grind never stops.

97492A56-771C-43C9-AB7C-8BBBFF5F3360.jpeg

Now that is real dedication to one's sport.  I see there is no padding in those holes, is there that delightful clunk sound with the buzz as the bounce softens out?  Perhaps getting the nurse to try their hand at a few putts might help bring them around to the idea that putting and hospital rounds really do go together (both have rounds!)

• Like 2

Verified Hack, 30 handicap 🙂  Golfing for exercise and peace of mind.

|> Big Dogs: O'Donnell Triumph hybrids 10-15-19-27, Ginty Trouble Club

|> Blades: First StrikeTM DeliveranceTM 3-4-5-6-7-8-9-P  Spitfire Graphite XL Shafts

|> Flatstick: Pinemeadow Z-ON M1   

|> App: SwingU Looper  

|> Club: CoverLogoS-H c sm.png"The World's Greatest Golf Club Without The Course"  www.stickandhack.com

⛳.  :1590477705_SunMountain: C130 Supercharged 🌲  :Clicgear:3.5+  🌳      🏌️‍♂️         EPLogo sm.jpg      StickHackLogo2021-uai-50x185.png.93cce20f8b531850ac1d2054c3d18cd3.png

2020 Official Tester - PuttUp mat logo_full_331d238c-3cab-4f84-ac72-d09e86f448c5_300x-25.png.11580987b80d9d26da7f04a31eadac9d.png

2021 Official Tester - Inesis Waterproof Grip Golf Shoes 1398724741_Inesislogo.jpg.34e215e2c1310a7b31d310ab89f4c188.jpg

8 hours ago, EasyPutter said:

Now that is real dedication to one's sport.  I see there is no padding in those holes, is there that delightful clunk sound with the buzz as the bounce softens out?  Perhaps getting the nurse to try their hand at a few putts might help bring them around to the idea that putting and hospital rounds really do go together (both have rounds!)

With these long hallways, I feel like I should create some sort of putt-putt course. No windmills on this course but I feel like I could find some cool obstacles in the birthing center closet. The floors here are quite muted so there's not a lot of audible feedback when you make a putt. I'll make sure I make note of that in the follow-up survey...'floors too soft and I don't get the audible feedback when making putts...2 stars'.

9 hours ago, WaffleHouseTour said:

Congratulations!  Way to start her early. 

brave man btw....

The PuttUp was the first thing I packed in the truck for this delivery. In fact, it took up so much room that I had to put my wife's bags in the truck bed. She was so over carrying this child that she just rolled her eyes as she saw the packing arrangement. I'm sure I'll get an earful when I get home but the male docs/nurses thought it was hilarious and the female nurses/docs...well...not so much. And carrying this mat through the parking garage, down the sky ramp, across the lobby, up the elevator, throguh the labor and delivery department...you get a lot of reactions. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5* w/ VA Composites Nemesys 65 X tipped 1/2" 
  • :ping-small: G425 LST 3W 14.5* w/ Ping Tour 75X
  • :srixon-small: ZX Utility 18* w/ Project X 6.5
  • :callaway-small: X Forged 21* w/ Tour Issue Dynamic Gold S400
  • :taylormade-small: 2020 P770 5-PW w/ Tour Issue Dynamic Gold X100
  • :ping-small: Glide 3.0 54* & 58* w/ Dynamic Gold S400
  • :ping-small: Sigma 2 Arna - 35.25"...coming soon: Evnroll ER5B
  •  Pro V1x Left Dash
  • I'm left-handed so I don't go broke buying all new clubs every week. 

It seems the consensus that the BirdieBall makes a good product, one theme that seems to be agreed on by most of the reviewers is less holes. I see you can buy inserts to cover the holes, that said, if you could buy one of their products, would you go with the the PuttUp and cover the holes you don’t want, or one of the flat ones, with less holes? I guess overall the question is how much value does that ramp provide?

One of the things @EasyPuttersaid rang true with me, I know the way my brain works, and I know because the hole says +8’ that wouldn’t translate to the course in a 1:1. So curious thoughts now after a while of using it. 

BirdieBall Putting Greens

Edited by MFSOT
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, MFSOT said:

It seems the consensus that the BirdieBall makes a good product, one theme that seems to be agreed on by most of the reviewers is less holes. I see you can buy inserts to cover the holes, that said, if you could buy one of their products, would you go with the the PuttUp and cover the holes you don’t want, or one of the flat ones, with less holes? I guess overall the question is how much value does that ramp provide?

One of the things @EasyPuttersaid rang true with me, I know the way my brain works, and I know because the hole says +8’ that wouldn’t translate to the course in a 1:1. So curious thoughts now after a while of using it. 

BirdieBall Putting Greens

The ramp provides challenge to me for incline, still have not been able to "envision" a longer putt so I practice put with the mat flat.  I am putting much better getting close to the cup or dropping it in more often but part of that is making sure to roll each putt far enough for that to be possible.  Short putts will never find the cup and rolling too long just means more putting but we all know that so sorry for being obvious.  The best thing about all the practice is the confidence to sight a line and make the putt.

• Like 1

Verified Hack, 30 handicap 🙂  Golfing for exercise and peace of mind.

|> Big Dogs: O'Donnell Triumph hybrids 10-15-19-27, Ginty Trouble Club

|> Blades: First StrikeTM DeliveranceTM 3-4-5-6-7-8-9-P  Spitfire Graphite XL Shafts

|> Flatstick: Pinemeadow Z-ON M1   

|> App: SwingU Looper  

|> Club: CoverLogoS-H c sm.png"The World's Greatest Golf Club Without The Course"  www.stickandhack.com

⛳.  :1590477705_SunMountain: C130 Supercharged 🌲  :Clicgear:3.5+  🌳      🏌️‍♂️         EPLogo sm.jpg      StickHackLogo2021-uai-50x185.png.93cce20f8b531850ac1d2054c3d18cd3.png

2020 Official Tester - PuttUp mat logo_full_331d238c-3cab-4f84-ac72-d09e86f448c5_300x-25.png.11580987b80d9d26da7f04a31eadac9d.png

2021 Official Tester - Inesis Waterproof Grip Golf Shoes 1398724741_Inesislogo.jpg.34e215e2c1310a7b31d310ab89f4c188.jpg

On 4/29/2021 at 1:00 PM, MFSOT said:

if you could buy one of their products, would you go with the the PuttUp and cover the holes you don’t want, or one of the flat ones, with less holes?

I’d buy the PuttUp.  Work on hitting longer putts. The upper left doesn’t get much use, but I do have a hole reducer in there and practice some breakers. It’s just all the variety you get with it. You can play it flat or use the ramp, or go back and forth.  I’ve really enjoyed it this winter. 

what I never really thought about before - but got into this winter -  was chipping onto it. I think if you want to chill you definitely want the ramp, unless you just have a super long one. 

Ill take a picture and post on Monday when I get back to my hotel of how I have the holes set up 

• Like 3

8B997CD7-7661-4861-9026-EC5414C64D9C.jpeg.3bb8336fc8e0ae549e78668cd6ea3fd8.jpeg

R2L Breakers; Shorties; Chips; 18 ft off the Pelz Tutor 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Caveat #1 - I’ve played less golf this season than I did in a week last spring... so I don’t yet have a reliable amount of data yet.

Caveat #2 - I “feel“ like I’m struggling on the greens.  It’s like I’ve become too dependent on my Pelz Tutor - there are no target lines on the green...  so picking my line is tough right now.  I’ll be putting that away this week....

Despite those two caveats, Arccos says I’ve made some modest gains.

185B0D80-1713-4695-8D3D-2DCBF89DD24C.jpeg.98187abae05e019d6b97c25fe48d40dd.jpeg62DB49C5-C5AF-47E6-9939-6432B276508B.jpeg.2de13d611efdbdce1cca2334d8edf971.jpeg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, WaffleHouseTour said:

Caveat #2 - I “feel“ like I’m struggling on the greens.  It’s like I’ve become too dependent on my Pelz Tutor - there are no target lines on the green...  so picking my line is tough right now.  I’ll be putting that away this week....

FYI... I'd attended an AimPoint clinic last year and it's been a HUGE help to me. YMMV, of course, but it really clarified + simplified the process of choosing a line .. so my primary focus is trying to get the speed right.

Yeah I'll still 3-putt a few times but that's pretty much either getting the speed wrong and running the ball way past the hole, or mis-stroking the putt and grounding the putter head on the way down or pulling / pushing the ball and missing my intended line.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Callaway Epic Speed 4W (Project X Cypher)
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 7W (Tensei CK Blue)
..Callaway Super Hybrid 23 (PX Catalyst) and Big Bertha 19 5H (Recoil ZTR)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX2 54 and CBX 60 (both Rotex graphite)
..Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g, P2 Reflex Tour)
..all in a Datrek bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator

I've wanted to do that.  How/where did you find one?  Expensive? (I know, there is no price we wouldn't pay to lower our score...)

3 hours ago, WaffleHouseTour said:

I've wanted to do that.  How/where did you find one?  Expensive? (I know, there is no price we wouldn't pay to lower our score...)

If you go to the AimPoint website, you can look up "Find An Instructor" (or Find A Clinic or something like that).

I'd read about it on (dare I say..) another forum .. the writer - a scratch golfer - talked about his experience with a clinic and how it had changed and improved *his* putting. Which surprised me as I'd just kinda "expected" that a scratch golfer is necessarily a really good putter!

So as it turns out that writer lives not too far from me, so I contacted the same instructor he'd seen - who is in the NYC area - and arranged a semi-private clinic that I shared with another forum member. If I recall correctly, we'd paid $200 each for 3 hours .. no not cheap, and no idea what a regular clinic guess for, but yeah well worth it!!

• Like 2

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Callaway Epic Speed 4W (Project X Cypher)
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 7W (Tensei CK Blue)
..Callaway Super Hybrid 23 (PX Catalyst) and Big Bertha 19 5H (Recoil ZTR)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX2 54 and CBX 60 (both Rotex graphite)
..Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g, P2 Reflex Tour)
..all in a Datrek bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator

3E580B6E-5D4A-4D9B-B4CA-A54D50BD028E.jpeg.04c673637392926846a35e18392d65ab.jpeg

Good day around the greens.  Gotta be honest, it’s chipping it close that has made the most difference. The last few weeks I bet I’ve hit more chips onto the BirdieBall than putts. That is what has really helped. If you aren’t chipping onto the PuttUp, you aren’t using it to its full potential. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• 1 month later...

I have felt lost on the greens for the last month. Tough to see the line. Hesitancy about ball position, is it creeping forward, sliding back. Just no confidence. 

I have also been practicing just my driver (way too much) and irons. Really neglected the short game. 

So this week I was on the road for work all week, and broke out the Birdie Ball and Pelz tutor in my hotel room.  It’s been rolled up in its original box all summer. 

And today…

C3F348FA-23C1-48B0-A3AB-E05749030273.jpeg.c64388b5394e0d24697ec91d0d2c123d.jpeg 213F415C-9935-4728-AE8D-830CEB60E085.jpeg.c5708e68e3ac29e91fc35ced1f44de2f.jpeg

so it turns out practice does help…

• Like 3

Great Review! Well done guys.  I love my Perfect Practice mat...but being able to get different size mats with different angles to putt makes me think maybe I need one in the office and at home????

Driver: SIM2 10.5 turned down to 9.5 with Ventus Blue 6X Velocore

3WD: MAVRIK SZ

5WD: MAVRIK SZ

3i: Titleist U500 w/ Tour AD 95X

5-PW: Mizuno MP20 MMC w/ C-Tape Lite X 115

52: Mizuno T20 Chrome

56 & 60: Cleveland ZipCore Tour Raw

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2 (34"/4/71)

Ball: THE Titleist Pro V1x