Thoughts on a 3:1 Tempo?

7 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

So what does your coach/pro say you need to work on?

Right now, I'm just working on getting my left hand knuckles turned down to get a little bit more control on the face. I have an insane amount of lag, so by turning my knuckles, it evens out the face and allows me to not worry about the face. Because of my skill level, I don't see my coach that often, and we've never brought up tempo before, but I'll probably bring it up in my next lesson.

:ping-small: G425 LST 9* (Mitsubishi Diamana PD 50X)

:mizuno-small: STZ 15.5* (Graphite Design ADDI 7X)

:callaway-small: X-Forged Utility 18* (Project X IO 115, 6.5)

:srixon-small: ZX7 4-PW (Nippon Modus 120X)

:titelist-small: SM8 50* F Grind; 8* Bounce (Project X LZ 6.0 120)

:titelist-small: SM8 54* F Grind; 10* Bounce (Project X LZ 6.0 120)

:titelist-small: SM8 58* M Grind; 8* Bounce (Project X LZ 6.0 120)

:odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Triple Track Ten S Putter

:taylormade-small: TP5X

"Practice like you've never won. Play like you've never lost."

Please explain how a video does not show tempo? Tempo is the relationship from start to impact. The video shows that and shows the speed of the sequences. How would you go about showing or defining fast or slow without a video?

The post I responded to you discussed fast and slow backswings. I asked you to define fast and slow, not tempo. A very fast and very slow swing can have the exact same tempo and both match the 3:1 ratio desired by Tour Tempo.

Either way, what are you trying to accomplish? Based on past topics we know you have a coach; is he trying to get you to change your tempo? Is you tempo inconsistent?

To answer the original question. It works for some and I wouldn’t Personally follow the program unless my instructor recommended it.

• Like 4

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 5-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  logo-horizontal-black.svg Directed Force 2.1

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787, :seemore-small: mFGP2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I don't know if 3:1 is best for everyone. I know when my tempo in my back swing gets too quick I tend to come over the top and slice the ball. Tempo is something I'm constantly thinking about. I try to think low and slow for my back swing to prevent me from coming over the top.

• Like 1

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue Sub Zero 9* stiff

Wood: :adams-small: Tight Lies TI 3 wood stiff

Hybrid: :callaway-small: XR 3 19 deg stiff

Irons: :mizuno-small:  JPX 900 Tour std loft/lie

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 52,56,60

Putter: :odyssey-small: #7 Red

Ball: :srixon-small: Q-Star

12.9 Handicap

Comox Valley, B.C. 🇨🇦

1 minute ago, cnosil said:

The post I responded to you discussed fast and slow backswings. I asked you to define fast and slow, not tempo. A very fast and very slow swing can have the exact same tempo and both match the 3:1 ratio desired by Tour Tempo.

Either way, what are you trying to accomplish? Based on past topics we know you have a coach; is he trying to get you to change your tempo?

I am trying to knock out any inconsistencies in my swing. I have noticed very few modern tour players with fast backswings. I do feel when I use super speed sticks, I am able to load more power into the ball when I take it back slower. I am a perfectionist, and that helps and kills me at the same time....

I am trying to knock out any inconsistencies in my swing. I have noticed very few modern tour players with fast backswings. I do feel when I use super speed sticks, I am able to load more power into the ball when I take it back slower. I am a perfectionist, and that helps and kills me at the same time....

What are the inconsistencies in your swing....Basically why aren’t you a +5? Is it the swing or bad strategy? What is inconsistent

In your swing? What causes you to have bogey or worse? How wide and deep is your shot pattern for say 7 iron?

Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787, :seemore-small: mFGP2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 minutes ago, cnosil said:

What are the inconsistencies in your swing....Basically why aren’t you a +5? Is it the swing or bad strategy? What is inconsistent
In your swing? What causes you to have bogey or worse?

That's a great question. My MAIN issue is putting. I am currently working with a putting coach who has been on the PGA, Champions, and LPGA tour for 38 years. I am spending a majority of my time there. My next biggest issue is distance inconsistencies with my irons, not caused by bad contact. This is why I am exploring changing my backswing tempo. I came here to get opinions before I started because let's be honest, I don't want to waste my time. 

Take out everything swing mechanics for a minute, if you saw my swing on the range or something, would your first thought be that I have a fast backswing? Just curious.

Ultimate Junior Golfer.

I slowed your video down to 25% and then timed out your swing.  Backswing 2.33 seconds (at 25% speed.)  Downswing .78 seconds.  Multiply .78 time 3 equals 2.34. 

I'd say you have a 3:1 ratio right now.   

1 minute ago, alfriday101 said:

Ultimate Junior Golfer.

I slowed your video down to 25% and then timed out your swing.  Backswing 2.33 seconds (at 25% speed.)  Downswing .78 seconds.  Multiply .78 time 3 equals 2.34. 

I'd say you have a 3:1 ratio right now.   

Wow, maybe it just appears fast to my eyes.... The numbers don't lie 

2 minutes ago, Ultimate Junior Golfer said:

Wow, maybe it just appears fast to my eyes.... The numbers don't lie 

fast is relative.  you've got a quick, compact overall swing, so your backswing is going to be "faster" than someone with a longer, loopy swing.  

you're a plus handicap who's main struggle is on the green - i wouldn't give my backswing another second of thought.

• Like 1

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

That's a great question. My MAIN issue is putting. I am currently working with a putting coach who has been on the PGA, Champions, and LPGA tour for 38 years. I am spending a majority of my time there. My next biggest issue is distance inconsistencies with my irons, not caused by bad contact. This is why I am exploring changing my backswing tempo. I came here to get opinions before I started because let's be honest, I don't want to waste my time. 
Take out everything swing mechanics for a minute, if you saw my swing on the range or something, would your first thought be that I have a fast backswing? Just curious.

No, I wouldn’t say you had a fast backswing and think you have a good swing tempo.

Explain distance inconsistencies. What is your dispersion pattern with a 7 iron....how wide and deep?

3 minutes ago, cnosil said:

No, I wouldn’t say you had a fast backswing and think you have a good swing tempo.

Explain distance inconsistencies. What is your dispersion pattern with a 7 iron....how wide and deep?

If I hit 10 shots, about seven would go right at 175 yards. But then two-three shots will either be long or short. My coach and I are currently accrediting the shorter distance to recent swing changes. I just changed coaches to Brandt Snedeker's old coach so I've been seeing him for a few months. We are saying the longer distances are me growing and I will have extra spurts of muscle growth. This was one last look to make sure there was nothing else I could do. My dispersion is pretty good with a push miss.

I would just echo what others said that if it works then keep it. Personally too slow doesn't work for me. Coming from hockey as a kid the shot needs to be quick so I have kept that up in golf. Also as for your pros with a quick back swing, Bryson is pretty quick on the back swing.

• Like 1

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° Project X HZRDUS Black HAND-CRAFTED Wood Shaft - Spargo Golf Smoke Black 70g 6.5 (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small: Epic Speed 15°  Project X HZRDUS Black HAND-CRAFTED Wood Shaft - Spargo Golf Smoke iM10 60g  6.0

:titelist-small: 816 H1 18° :Fuji: Speeder HB 8.8 Stiff | :titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 Stiff

:mizuno-small: JPX 919 HM Pro  5 - PW  :Fuji:  Pro Tour Spec 115i Stiff | :Hogan: Equalizer 52° / 56° KBS-logo - KZG Tour V 110 Stiff

:cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0 | :ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: - Pro V1x | Right Handed

Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

If I hit 10 shots, about seven would go right at 175 yards. But then two-three shots will either be long or short. My coach and I are currently accrediting the shorter distance to recent swing changes. I just changed coaches to Brandt Snedeker's old coach so I've been seeing him for a few months. We are saying the longer distances are me growing and I will have extra spurts of muscle growth. This was one last look to make sure there was nothing else I could do. My dispersion is pretty good with a push miss.

I personally think you need to learn about shot patterns since you don’t seem to understand what I am asking or what your pattern is.

Take a look at this video starting at the 24:40 mark. Pga player with multiple victories has a 7 iron dispersion pattern of 12 yards deep and 30 yards wide.

Knowing your shot pattern is critical to establish where you are aiming.

Basically your swing needs to be managed by you coach. Don’t look for your own answers. While you are a perfectionist, learn that golf is not a game of perfection and how to manage your expectations.
  • Like 3

Finau, Rahm, Bryson, and Matt Wolff have quick or "fast" backswings.  they're all to different lengths, and at different angles, but they all take the club back quickly

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

3 hours ago, Ultimate Junior Golfer said:

The question is, do you know anyone on tour with a very fast backswing? I can't think of any. Plenty have slow backswings but I'm not so sure about fast backswings.

And my answer was, don't mess with what isn't broken. If you can hit the ball well with your current swing and tempo then why chase something simply because someone else thinks the perfect tempo is 3:1?

Based on the video posted above I don't see anything abnormally fast or unserviceable about your swing. If you're working with an instructor and they cite this as a specific issue then by all means you should work with them to address it otherwise you're likely to do more harm than good. 

• Like 2

Driver: Mizuno ST190 9.5* Aldila RIP Alpha 60 S
Fairway Wood: Mizuno ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hyrbrid: Mizuno CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: Bridgestone J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: Bridgestone Tour B XW-1 54* & 58* Nippon Modus 3 105
Putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach SOFT Premier 4 34"
Ball: Snell MTB-X
Bag: 2017 Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag