TESTERS WANTED! ×

The updated Top Flite Gamer

russtopherb

After teasing the pics on Twitter yesterday, MGS posted an article from Tony about the updated Top Flite Gamer ball today.

I'll definitely have to check these out, the Gamer v2 was an absolutely fantastic ball for the price. I know the article references it being a poor golfer's Pro V1, but I equated the performance to more of an economical Bridgestone e6 before they ruined that model. The Gamer Tour/Urethane models were lackluster so I'm hopeful this new version picks up where the v2 left off. Since it's a DSG brand you know there will be plenty of good deals on it. Their new Hammer Control ball is pretty good for the money, moving up to a 3 piece in the Gamer should hopefully increase short game performance.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I think it'll be interesting to see how they test out compared to others in the value + long ball category. Hopefully is in the next Most Wanted ball test!

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Mavrik Sub Zero,10°, Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

3W: :callaway-logo-1: Mavrik Sub Zero, 15°, Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

3H: :callaway-logo-1: Mavrik Sub Zero, 18°, KBS Tour Hybrid 75S

4i-PW: :callaway-logo-1: Mavrik Pro, +1°, True Temper Elevate Tour S, Standard Lie

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM8 - 50°/12F, 54°/14F, 58°/14K

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Special Select Squareback 2, 35"

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X

I think people would be surprised by this ball if they'd actually try it....which most won't.  My lowest scores are with balls like these.  If I recall John Barba wrote an article about the Wilson Duo and mentioned his lowest round was with the Duo.  A guy I play with who uses ProV1s 90% of the time dropped the best score of his life 2 weeks ago using a Supersoft.  The Gamer is longer for me off all clubs, straight as an arrow and putts true.  Most guys worried they won't check up could probably use some roll out.  

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

38 minutes ago, 03trdblack said:

I don't understand why a ball like this exists (and why people use it) when you can get premium urethane balls that outperform it all day long for the same price.  🧐

Because many of us like picking up balls when we want/need them at a store, because many of us don't have the need for urethane spin around the green, because many of us prefer the feel of balls like this vs. harder compression "tour" balls... want more reasons? I can keep going if you like. Or you can say "Hey cool another option for golfers to pick from" and be happy with that.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Just now, 03trdblack said:

I don't understand why a ball like this exists (and why people use it) when you can get premium urethane balls that outperform it all day long for the same price.  🧐

Have you tried it?  I personally haven't found any urethane ball at any price that out performs the Gamer for me in regards to scoring.  I guess I shouldn't play one length irons or look at the hole while I putt either.

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

1 hour ago, Wedgie said:

I think people would be surprised by this ball if they'd actually try it....which most won't.  My lowest scores are with balls like these.  If I recall John Barba wrote an article about the Wilson Duo and mentioned his lowest round was with the Duo.  A guy I play with who uses ProV1s 90% of the time dropped the best score of his life 2 weeks ago using a Supersoft.  The Gamer is longer for me off all clubs, straight as an arrow and putts true.  Most guys worried they won't check up could probably use some roll out.  

1 hour ago, 03trdblack said:

In education, we'd call this activity "paired texts" 🤣

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

Just now, greggarner said:

In education, we'd call this activity "paired texts" 🤣

So we learned today that I like this ball and he does not.  The common thread is the ball.

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

2 hours ago, Wedgie said:

I had the opposite effect from you - I couldn't get any distance out of the various non-tour balls I played (Maxfli Tour namely) from woods/irons, but didn't mind the performance around the greens as I'm not much of a check up guy, more controlled bump and run. Switched to the MTB-X and immediately gained yards, and have adapted to the spins around the green. Almost like there's infinite ways to play the game.

4i-PW: :callaway-logo-1: Mavrik Pro, +1°, True Temper Elevate Tour S, Standard Lie

Just now, GBWarPig said:

I had the opposite effect from you - I couldn't get any distance out of the various non-tour balls I played (Maxfli Tour namely) from woods/irons, but didn't mind the performance around the greens as I'm not much of a check up guy, more controlled bump and run. Switched to the MTB-X and immediately gained yards, and have adapted to the spins around the green. Almost like there's infinite ways to play the game.

I was a MTB-X tester last year and it is a really good ball.  No complaints really other than I had to order it on-line which is a personal thing. I lost distance off the tee with the Snell in comparison to the Z Star I was playing at the time.  Irons seemed a bit longer though.  Every ball I play seems pretty much the same to me anyway but I do track scoring and if I score better with a Top Flite ball then I will play a Top Flite.

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

1 minute ago, Wedgie said:

I was a MTB-X tester last year and it is a really good ball.  No complaints really other than I had to order it on-line which is a personal thing. I lost distance off the tee with the Snell in comparison to the Z Star I was playing at the time.  Irons seemed a bit longer though.  Every ball I play seems pretty much the same to me anyway but I do track scoring and if I score better with a Top Flite ball then I will play a Top Flite.

Might be worth scoring a sleeve of the Gamers and seeing the numbers both on a monitor and on the scorecard. Will play whatever when that scorecard number keeps dropping!

Just now, GBWarPig said:

Might be worth scoring a sleeve of the Gamers and seeing the numbers both on a monitor and on the scorecard. Will play whatever when that scorecard number keeps dropping!

I have a SkyTrak at home and the numbers on full shots mirror the Z Star that I compared it to the night I tried it in terms of spin.  The difference on the course is the Gamer is way better in the wind.  I swear the dimple-in-dimple crap straightens the ball out mid flight and the ball just seems to go farther.  I'm mid 90s with driver and around 80 MPH with irons so I'm not crushing the ball but this ball just seems to work for me.  That being said my best round ever was with the Top Flite D2 Feel at $12 for 15 balls so look at the source.  When the MGS ball test came out last year I committed to only playing urethane and my index went up so who knows what works.  I'm starting to think if I do the opposite of what I read online I am better off.

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

15 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

I have a SkyTrak at home and the numbers on full shots mirror the Z Star that I compared it to the night I tried it in terms of spin.  The difference on the course is the Gamer is way better in the wind.  I swear the dimple-in-dimple crap straightens the ball out mid flight and the ball just seems to go farther.  I'm mid 90s with driver and around 80 MPH with irons so I'm not crushing the ball but this ball just seems to work for me.  That being said my best round ever was with the Top Flite D2 Feel at $12 for 15 balls so look at the source.  When the MGS ball test came out last year I committed to only playing urethane and my index went up so who knows what works.  I'm starting to think if I do the opposite of what I read online I am better off.

Dig it, totally a case of what works for you. I’m around a 110-115 driver speed, and upper 90s on irons, which makes me lose those compression yards in softer balls versus tour balls. Will still snag a sleeve to give a run at the price point, but with tempered expectations haha. 

I was in a similar state of mind previously...I was skeptical about the Kirkland Signature balls.  That is until I finally broke down and tried them and found out that for the money they were a great ball.  I'll be buying a dozen of these to try out.  I mean they're only $23, I spend more than that on Starbucks in a week!

Just tap it in.  Lil' taparoo.

:honma: TW747 460 10.5° Vizard stiff

:adams-small: 4 Hybrid

:Sub70: 699 5-Aw; KBS Tour-V 90 Stiff

:cleveland-small: Tour Action 58°

:taylormade-small: Spider Interactive

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if I'm really good enough to "feel" the difference between a surlyn and urethane cover, but I've always gotten better results from the latter. 

My :1590477705_SunMountain: C-130 cart bag currently includes;

Driver: :srixon-small: z565 10.5*, Miyazaki Kaula Mizu 6 S-Flex
Fairways:  :callaway-small: X-Hot 15* & 18*, Project X PXv R-Flex
Irons: :benhogan-small:Apex Plus, 4-PW, Apex S4-Flex
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CG10; 50*, 54*, 58*, Dynamic Gold W-flex 

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot Pro Blade #2
Grips: Golf Pride MCC-Plus 4 & Lamkin UTx
Ball: Kirkland Signature 3-Piece 

On 9/29/2020 at 1:32 PM, 03trdblack said:

Not to be argumentative, but what "premium" urethane balls can you purchase for $23/dozen?

I'd honestly like to know.

16 minutes ago, J.B. TexasEx said:

Not to be argumentative, but what "premium" urethane balls can you purchase for $23/dozen?

I'd honestly like to know.

Maxfli Tour, Vice Pro, Snell MT-B.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

2 hours ago, ZenGolfer said:

Maxfli Tour, Vice Pro, Snell MT-B.

Snell MTB bottom out at 28.99 if you buy five dozen.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Snell MTB bottom out at 28.99 if you buy five dozen.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

58 minutes ago, ZenGolfer said:

emoji2369.png

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Uh-oh, the Internet is broken again.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

On 9/29/2020 at 2:06 PM, Wedgie said:

I am partial to the Supersoft myself of course I have won about 6 dozen this year playing in the Dog Fights. I love those balls I can work them pretty good and love them around the green. Now lately we have been winning Srixon Soft Feels and I like those too.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I am partial to the Supersoft myself of course I have won about 6 dozen this year playing in the Dog Fights. I love those balls I can work them pretty good and love them around the green. Now lately we have been winning Srixon Soft Feels and I like those too.

Used both Sirxons and like them. QStar & QStar Tours not bad either
Next time I see the “Gamers” I’ll pick some up. Always willing to try “new stuff”.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

17 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

Uh-oh, the Internet is broken again.

I couldn't find any of those 3 brands; Maxfli Tour, Vice Pro, or Snell MT-B < $25 dozen. Picking nits, I know but the challenge was finding a premium urethane ball for $23. MG Golf's C4 was the best I could do, price-wise. 

Edited by J.B. TexasEx

I just got my personalized dozen of Gamers delivered yesterday!  5 days for delivery and for a grand total of $31.99 after tax and delivery.  I plan on trying to get in a round this weekend with them, if the rain holds out.  So...big IF.

I just got my personalized dozen of Gamers delivered yesterday!  5 days for delivery and for a grand total of $31.99 after tax and delivery.  I plan on trying to get in a round this weekend with them, if the rain holds out.  So...big IF.

Where did you order them from?

Rick

Left Hand, 

Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

20 minutes ago, Rickp said:

Where did you order them from?

Golf Galaxy

https://www.golfgalaxy.com/p/top-flite-2020-gamer-golf-balls-20tflm2020tpfltgmgbl/20tflm2020tpfltgmgbl

Rick

Left Hand,