TESTERS WANTED! ×

Biggest Mistake Average Golfers Make?

9 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

Man, reading this thread makes me wonder how an "avg" golfer ever gets the ball in the hole. 😆

The biggest thing the average golfer does is exactly this thread, FOCUS ON WHAT THEY DO WRONG instead of focusing on what they do right. 

This reminds me of an old joke. 

"Amateurs play with too much LOFT" Lack Of F-ing Talent

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

Totally agree with all points made,
1) unrealistic expectations vs how much you practice /getting pissed when a difficult shot goes awry

2)lack of putting green etiquette

3)not clearly marking their ball/ playing/picking up someone else ball

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

Not hitting the safe shot; i.e. the one they know they can make which results in not hitting shots well and resulting in penalty strokes. 3 shots of 7 or 8 iron will reach most par 4s, but invariably, poor tee shot in to trouble results in, usually, more trouble trying to advance the ball. Then usually longer iron into green which invariably misses then 1 or 2 chips and 2 or 3 putts.

7 iron from tee, 7 iron second shot, then 3rd from 50-120 yds, chip, 2 putts.

Underclubbing? Sure but just not being able to hit a controlled shot to a target, regardless of club choice is a huge problem.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I find one of the biggest issues is how average golfers think about the swing. So many golfers get into a mental knot thinking about how the body is supposed to move during a swing but they forget a very simple concept:           If you swing the entire club towards the target, the ball will tend to go towards the target

I constantly see so many high handicappers swing out of their shoes and hitting huge slices and hooks and you can that they aren't thinking about what direction the ball actually needs to go and where the club needs to go to achieve that goal. If the average golfer thought more about swinging the entire club down the target line I think many people would see a lot less wild shots and see scores go down. I'm not saying club-based instruction is the only way people should learn but it's an amazingly simple concept that gets overlooked more often than not. This simple swing thought takes the guesswork out of alignment, posture, mechanics, and all the details that impossible to think about during a swing. If you can instill the average golfer with the bolded phrase above, I think scores would go down as golfers would a rock solid swing thought to go back to if things go awry during a round. 

If you want to test the swing thought out next time you're on the course, get lined up and visualize the target line on the ground when you address the ball. Then try to only think about swinging the entire club down that line. You must focus on the target line from the start of the backswing and through the ball. The brain has an amazing ability to make the body do what it needs to do to achieve certain outcomes. I'm not saying you will strike the ball perfect but I can assure you that you will likely advance the ball towards the hole reliably. 

As some one who plays with golfers much better than myself, and players much less knowledgeable than I, here's what I notice.

The number one thing I take away from playing with the scratch and plus handicap players is " even if you think you are planning shots and managing the course, chances are, you still aren't doing it right."  

And the most frustrating thing I see with friends who are mid level golfers is, they are incredibly bogged down with weird swing thoughts they picked up from YouTube or another buddy.  They tend to overcomplicate the swing.

Lefty

Epic flash 9*+2* HZRDS smoke stiff 60g

T100s/200 combo project x LZ 6.5  125g std length 2* upright 

What's an "average golfer"?  I think it has different meanings for different people.  Personally, I think most of us are average golfers if you look at the handicap bell curve, but I don't know if handicaps are the defining criteria for average.  Some higher handicaps may be better than average at certain parts of the game, but suck at other parts of the game.  Actually, some low handicappers can fit this description as well; just not as much and can recover better.  

All of the mistakes listed above can apply to most of us at one time or another.  I know they do for me.  I can be rolling along just fine, and then my brain takes a holiday; sometimes for a hole or two, sometimes for a week or two!  It is at that point that the "average golfer" starts analyzing, changing, buying, rather than just putting in some practice time and playing golf.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Poor and inconsistent tempo.  I'm an experienced average golfer, I know.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

On 10/1/2020 at 12:46 PM, THEZIPR23 said:

Man, reading this thread makes me wonder how an "avg" golfer ever gets the ball in the hole. 😆

The biggest thing the average golfer does is exactly this thread, FOCUS ON WHAT THEY DO WRONG instead of focusing on what they do right. 

But if you don’t focus on what’s wrong how can you get better? It’s an endless circle lol

image.gif.8fdc30c0a73895ec36238a42797cb278.gif

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

28 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

But if you don’t focus on what’s wrong how can you get better? It’s an endless circle lol

image.gif.8fdc30c0a73895ec36238a42797cb278.gif

But that is part of the problem, it doesn’t have to be. Player A a good driver of the golf ball, goes to range Wednesday night, gets medium bucket of balls, he focuses his range session on trying to fix the low point of swing. He chunked 3 iron shots in his round the previous week. After he warms up, he grabs his 9 iron and continues to chunk them. He has no idea what he is doing, he is throwing whatever you tube video he watched this week at his problem. He gets frustrated and by the time he his finished he is pissed and he never hit a driver. He gets to the tee for his normal Saturday round and cold tops his driver. His driver woes continue most of the day as well as his chunks. 

Player B, a good driver of the golf ball, goes to the range Wednesday night, gets medium bucket of balls, he focuses his range session on hitting targets with his driver. He also chunked 3 iron shots in his round the previous week. After he warms up, he grabs his 9 iron and continues to chunk them. He has no idea what he is doing, he is throwing whatever you tube video he watched this week at his problem. He puts his 9 iron done and pulls out his driver and spends time improving what he is already doing well. He gets to the tee for his normal Saturday round, he hits his driver good, he still hit 3 chunks just like last week, but he also improved. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

Then there's Player C who takes his/her whole bag to the range and only hits driver. Then wonders why the iron/short game stinks. I see this all the time.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I'm gonna go with all the folks who mentioned average golfers who react to their shots as if they think they're well above average golfers. I've seen far too many golfers absolutely lose their stuff over a few bad shots and it sinks them for the next few holes because they can't get out of their head. I used to be like that for a little bit, until someone who's a far, far better golfer than I simply told me that I wasn't good enough to get angry over bad shots. At the time I was a 20+ handicap, he told me to go in with the mindset of hitting good shots but accepting that there would be plenty of bad ones. How many rounds might have had much lower scores (and been a more enjoyable round for them AND their partners) if an "average" golfer laughed off the bad shots and said "oh well, that happens, onto the next shot"?

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

8 hours ago, THEZIPR23 said:

But that is part of the problem, it doesn’t have to be. Player A a good driver of the golf ball, goes to range Wednesday night, gets medium bucket of balls, he focuses his range session on trying to fix the low point of swing. He chunked 3 iron shots in his round the previous week. After he warms up, he grabs his 9 iron and continues to chunk them. He has no idea what he is doing, he is throwing whatever you tube video he watched this week at his problem. He gets frustrated and by the time he his finished he is pissed and he never hit a driver. He gets to the tee for his normal Saturday round and cold tops his driver. His driver woes continue most of the day as well as his chunks. 

Player B, a good driver of the golf ball, goes to the range Wednesday night, gets medium bucket of balls, he focuses his range session on hitting targets with his driver. He also chunked 3 iron shots in his round the previous week. After he warms up, he grabs his 9 iron and continues to chunk them. He has no idea what he is doing, he is throwing whatever you tube video he watched this week at his problem. He puts his 9 iron done and pulls out his driver and spends time improving what he is already doing well. He gets to the tee for his normal Saturday round, he hits his driver good, he still hit 3 chunks just like last week, but he also improved. 

What does the extra yards and 2 fairways do for you if you can’t get to the green? 
I have so many examples of how this isn’t a good thought process “focus on what you’re good at”. I mean if you don’t want to get better that’s totally fine and great but that is not my mentality in any aspect of my life.

one example the patriots keep talking about is cam newton. He is going ham on his woes hence why his passing is at its best in his career right now. But like I said if the average golfer is ok with focusing on their skills great have at it but that is not me.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

55 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

I'm gonna go with all the folks who mentioned average golfers who react to their shots as if they think they're well above average golfers. I've seen far too many golfers absolutely lose their stuff over a few bad shots and it sinks them for the next few holes because they can't get out of their head. I used to be like that for a little bit, until someone who's a far, far better golfer than I simply told me that I wasn't good enough to get angry over bad shots. At the time I was a 20+ handicap, he told me to go in with the mindset of hitting good shots but accepting that there would be plenty of bad ones. How many rounds might have had much lower scores (and been a more enjoyable round for them AND their partners) if an "average" golfer laughed off the bad shots and said "oh well, that happens, onto the next shot"?

Excellent point.  In my early years, I too used to beat myself up over poor shots/play.  Not outwardly so much but between my ears I turned the air blue.  After my quasi hiatus from playing (much), I stopped doing that - not really sure why.  It may have been the change in who I started playing golf rounds with; a long time friend who resumed the game and has a not very serious approach to his game... just laughs a lot.  I still play with this friend in Yuma, along with a handful of others who similarly do not take their poor play to heart.  Oh, for sure, they want to play well and take my dimes, but laugh off and quickly forget the last hole/shot.  

I want to get to a single digit handicap so bad my teeth ache... but not at the expense of having fun.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

32 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

What does the extra yards and 2 fairways do for you if you can’t get to the green? 
I have so many examples of how this isn’t a good thought process “focus on what you’re good at”. I mean if you don’t want to get better that’s totally fine and great but that is not my mentality in any aspect of my life.

one example the patriots keep talking about is cam newton. He is going ham on his woes hence why his passing is at its best in his career right now. But like I said if the average golfer is ok with focusing on their skills great have at it but that is not me.

i see your point but working your weaknesses and ignoring your strengths will ultimately result in your whole game getting worse. 

i think the point @THEZIPR23 was getting at is that you have to keep your strengths sharp while trying to improve what you struggle with. 

whatever you’re good at is going to have to carry your round until you start seeing improvement in what you’re working on. 

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

5 minutes ago, Chip Strokes said:

i see your point but working your weaknesses and ignoring your strengths will ultimately result in your whole game getting worse. 

i think the point @THEZIPR23 was getting at is that you have to keep your strengths sharp while trying to improve what you struggle with. 

whatever you’re good at is going to have to carry your round until you start seeing improvement in what you’re working on. 

I am definitly in that camp you can’t let the strengths go you can work on both 

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

1 hour ago, Lacassem said:

This is not advice I would give you, or really most people on this forum. But we are talking about the average golfer. 

You are correct, in the fact that if I focused my practice time on what I was good I wouldn’t see the type of improvement if I focused on what wasn’t working. The average golfer can improve this way. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

Getting angry with a bad shot. Or just expecting Tour Pro results with every shot. 

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

Buying $300 a month in new clubs, trying to find their game, when 3 lessons for $100 would drop 10 strokes.

Buying a low-loft driver, and xstiff upgrade shaft, without even thinking about getting a fitting.

Playing from the correct tees.

At some of the courses, the blues are 20-30 yards longer same obstacles.

At others the blues can add 40+ yards and\ or other obstacles ( trees, curve, not able to carry over water).

Always chasing different clubs

I’m gonna go with the biggest mistake average golfers can make is reading threads like this one. I know it isn’t the intention of the OP or the thread but to me this is similar to a rich guy telling a poor man, I know you didn’t ask for my advice but the reason your poor is such and such. It can come off as condescending. IMO

If your an average golfer and want to improve great. Lessons and fittings are huge in that aspect. If you just want to have fun that’s great too.
Play the game however you enjoy doing so. As long as you treat the course and other golfers with respect, what others say shouldn’t matter. 

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

On 10/4/2020 at 8:36 AM, blackngold_blood said:

I’m gonna go with the biggest mistake average golfers can make is reading threads like this one. I know it isn’t the intention of the OP or the thread but to me this is similar to a rich guy telling a poor man, I know you didn’t ask for my advice but the reason your poor is such and such. It can come off as condescending. IMO

If your an average golfer and want to improve great. Lessons and fittings are huge in that aspect. If you just want to have fun that’s great too.
Play the game however you enjoy doing so. As long as you treat the course and other golfers with respect, what others say shouldn’t matter. 

I see it as the poor man asking what mistakes the rich man knows how to avoid in order to stay rich. 

Rich man: work hard, never give up, and surround yourself with successful people

Great Player: work hard, never give up, and surround yourself with successful people

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

7 hours ago, Buffly said:

I see it as the poor man asking what mistakes the rich man knows how to avoid in order to stay rich. 

Rich man: work hard, never give up, and surround yourself with successful people

Great Player: work hard, never give up, and surround yourself with successful people

That is fine but from everything I have read no “poor man” asked a question.  Instead this thread is a group of people talking about what other golfers mistakes are.

I’m not saying anybody is wrong or right, just that these types of threads can do as much damage to a golfer as they can help. 

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

What do you think is the biggest mistake average golfers make?
I don't think there are wrong answers here, I'm curious what everyone thinks!
I say alignment because of how all the problems that can snowball from poor alignment.

I would agree with all the comments, but add listening to advice when beginning from friends. I have a buddy who is a teaching pro now, but in highschool when I started golfing he would say, keep your head down, as I was topping the ball. It wasn't until 10 plus years later that I read an article about golf swing advice and keeping the head down isn't the issue as much as lifting the front shoulder (trying to do the work of the club). When I concentrate on hitting down on the ball rather than than trying to scoop it, I play much better.

Sent from my SM-G986U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Most important thing and one of the first things I was taught is to keep the pace of play, 10-15min per hole. when I used to hit 15min and I had people behind me, I'd pick up and move on. Being respectful and not egotistical is key, all other pointer that are mentioned in this thread  can follow.

🤙

I would say asking what someone hit or see that someone pulls the driver so they do, or just going driver off all par 4/5s. Driver IMO isn’t always the best club off the tee. I am the most accurate 150-100 according to game golf so I try to get as close as I can to that off the tee. Prior to getting game golf tee was driver. My 9 iron carries about 155, sometimes shorter sometimes longer. I read an article somewhere that suggested taking off the iron numbers for custom or fitted clubs and putting average carry on them instead. I personally could careless what someone else hits off the tee but I have run into a good amount of people that always ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2020 TESTER Ben Hogan UiHi 18* Utility Iron

Driver:     - Anser - 8.5* - Fujikara Red Blur 005 XStiff - Standard L/L

3W:     - SQ Sumo - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana Stiff - Standard L/L

Hybrid 3:     - Machspeed - UST Mamiya AXIVCore XStiff -Standard L/L

Irons:      - Idea Black CB3  4-GW - KBS Tour Stiff+ - Standard L/L

Wedges:    - Vokey 52*, 54*, 60* - True Temper Wedge - Standard L/L

Putter:     - Versa Blade - 35in

Ball:      NXT Tour

Bag:  - Ultra Light Cart Bag  

Loc: USA/MD

Handicap: 13

2 hours ago, jb0330 said:

I would say asking what someone hit or see that someone pulls the driver so they do, or just going driver off all par 4/5s. Driver IMO isn’t always the best club off the tee. I am the most accurate 150-100 according to game golf so I try to get as close as I can to that off the tee. Prior to getting game golf tee was driver. My 9 iron carries about 155, sometimes shorter sometimes longer. I read an article somewhere that suggested taking off the iron numbers for custom or fitted clubs and putting average carry on them instead. I personally could careless what someone else hits off the tee but I have run into a good amount of people that always ask.

My friend would always ask me what I hit because he knows he would hit one more. It is just a reference point for him. He knows I take wind into consideration and pin placement so he trusts I picked the right club. If I club way up and hit a butter cut 75% shot then he can't use my number so I throw a few of those in to get him off of asking.

My friend would always ask me what I hit because he knows he would hit one more. It is just a reference point for him. He knows I take wind into consideration and pin placement so he trusts I picked the right club. If I club way up and hit a butter cut 75% shot then he can't use my number so I throw a few of those in to get him off of asking.

Just add a stroke penalty to his score per rule 10.2 every time he asks.

But like you I have hit knockdowns and partial shots to throw my friends off.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

3 hours ago, jb0330 said:

A buddy of mine I play with looks at me like I'm insane every time I take an iron off the tee. And almost every time, I'm in or near the fairway, only 150ish out, and he's looking for his ball in the woods or taking a drop. I've tried telling him so many times that driver isn't the right club off every tee, but it hasn't clicked with him yet.

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here