Biggest Mistake Average Golfers Make?

Our Sponsors

I'm gonna go with all the folks who mentioned average golfers who react to their shots as if they think they're well above average golfers. I've seen far too many golfers absolutely lose their stuff over a few bad shots and it sinks them for the next few holes because they can't get out of their head. I used to be like that for a little bit, until someone who's a far, far better golfer than I simply told me that I wasn't good enough to get angry over bad shots. At the time I was a 20+ handicap, he told me to go in with the mindset of hitting good shots but accepting that there would be plenty of bad ones. How many rounds might have had much lower scores (and been a more enjoyable round for them AND their partners) if an "average" golfer laughed off the bad shots and said "oh well, that happens, onto the next shot"?

• Like 5

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 R flex 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:cleveland-small:  Smart Sole S
:cleveland-small: #10

Twitter: @russtopherb

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Welcome to MyGolfSpy!! One of the most common is underclubbing.  "One time 4 years ago I hit my 7-iron 175 yards, so that's that I'm hitting from 175 today."

Trying every swing tip they find on YouTube or some golf website to fix a symptom and not a cause.

Man, reading this thread makes me wonder how an "avg" golfer ever gets the ball in the hole. 😆 The biggest thing the average golfer does is exactly this thread, FOCUS ON WHAT THEY DO WRONG instea

Posted Images

8 hours ago, THEZIPR23 said:

But that is part of the problem, it doesn’t have to be. Player A a good driver of the golf ball, goes to range Wednesday night, gets medium bucket of balls, he focuses his range session on trying to fix the low point of swing. He chunked 3 iron shots in his round the previous week. After he warms up, he grabs his 9 iron and continues to chunk them. He has no idea what he is doing, he is throwing whatever you tube video he watched this week at his problem. He gets frustrated and by the time he his finished he is pissed and he never hit a driver. He gets to the tee for his normal Saturday round and cold tops his driver. His driver woes continue most of the day as well as his chunks. 

Player B, a good driver of the golf ball, goes to the range Wednesday night, gets medium bucket of balls, he focuses his range session on hitting targets with his driver. He also chunked 3 iron shots in his round the previous week. After he warms up, he grabs his 9 iron and continues to chunk them. He has no idea what he is doing, he is throwing whatever you tube video he watched this week at his problem. He puts his 9 iron done and pulls out his driver and spends time improving what he is already doing well. He gets to the tee for his normal Saturday round, he hits his driver good, he still hit 3 chunks just like last week, but he also improved. 

What does the extra yards and 2 fairways do for you if you can’t get to the green? 
I have so many examples of how this isn’t a good thought process “focus on what you’re good at”. I mean if you don’t want to get better that’s totally fine and great but that is not my mentality in any aspect of my life.

one example the patriots keep talking about is cam newton. He is going ham on his woes hence why his passing is at its best in his career right now. But like I said if the average golfer is ok with focusing on their skills great have at it but that is not me.

Follow my overall Vegan transition here

Check out my reviews

:ping-small: G710 Irons Lacassem official review

:taylormade-small: FlexTech is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:titelist-small: TS2 9.5 - Project X HZRDUS Smoke VS Project X HZRDUS Green 

:taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green 

:adams-small: 2H VST - Super Idea S Matrix Kujoh S-Flex

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ 

:titelist-small: 52, 56, 60 SM7 - Nippon Modus 125

:odyssey-small: O-Works 1W

:titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Bushnell Tour V3 Jolt

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

55 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

I'm gonna go with all the folks who mentioned average golfers who react to their shots as if they think they're well above average golfers. I've seen far too many golfers absolutely lose their stuff over a few bad shots and it sinks them for the next few holes because they can't get out of their head. I used to be like that for a little bit, until someone who's a far, far better golfer than I simply told me that I wasn't good enough to get angry over bad shots. At the time I was a 20+ handicap, he told me to go in with the mindset of hitting good shots but accepting that there would be plenty of bad ones. How many rounds might have had much lower scores (and been a more enjoyable round for them AND their partners) if an "average" golfer laughed off the bad shots and said "oh well, that happens, onto the next shot"?

Excellent point.  In my early years, I too used to beat myself up over poor shots/play.  Not outwardly so much but between my ears I turned the air blue.  After my quasi hiatus from playing (much), I stopped doing that - not really sure why.  It may have been the change in who I started playing golf rounds with; a long time friend who resumed the game and has a not very serious approach to his game... just laughs a lot.  I still play with this friend in Yuma, along with a handful of others who similarly do not take their poor play to heart.  Oh, for sure, they want to play well and take my dimes, but laugh off and quickly forget the last hole/shot.  

I want to get to a single digit handicap so bad my teeth ache... but not at the expense of having fun.

• Like 2

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

32 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

What does the extra yards and 2 fairways do for you if you can’t get to the green? 
I have so many examples of how this isn’t a good thought process “focus on what you’re good at”. I mean if you don’t want to get better that’s totally fine and great but that is not my mentality in any aspect of my life.

one example the patriots keep talking about is cam newton. He is going ham on his woes hence why his passing is at its best in his career right now. But like I said if the average golfer is ok with focusing on their skills great have at it but that is not me.

i see your point but working your weaknesses and ignoring your strengths will ultimately result in your whole game getting worse. 

i think the point @THEZIPR23 was getting at is that you have to keep your strengths sharp while trying to improve what you struggle with. 

whatever you’re good at is going to have to carry your round until you start seeing improvement in what you’re working on. 

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, Chip Strokes said:

i see your point but working your weaknesses and ignoring your strengths will ultimately result in your whole game getting worse. 

i think the point @THEZIPR23 was getting at is that you have to keep your strengths sharp while trying to improve what you struggle with. 

whatever you’re good at is going to have to carry your round until you start seeing improvement in what you’re working on. 

I am definitly in that camp you can’t let the strengths go you can work on both 

• Like 1

Follow my overall Vegan transition here

Check out my reviews

:ping-small: G710 Irons Lacassem official review

:taylormade-small: FlexTech is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:titelist-small: TS2 9.5 - Project X HZRDUS Smoke VS Project X HZRDUS Green 

:taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green 

:adams-small: 2H VST - Super Idea S Matrix Kujoh S-Flex

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ 

:titelist-small: 52, 56, 60 SM7 - Nippon Modus 125

:odyssey-small: O-Works 1W

:titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Bushnell Tour V3 Jolt

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

1 hour ago, Lacassem said:

This is not advice I would give you, or really most people on this forum. But we are talking about the average golfer. 

You are correct, in the fact that if I focused my practice time on what I was good I wouldn’t see the type of improvement if I focused on what wasn’t working. The average golfer can improve this way. 

• Like 2

:taylormade-small:             SIM 9.5* (GD XC 6X) 

:taylormade-small:             SIM 15* (GD DI 7X) 

:taylormade-small:             2 DHY (GD DI HY8X)

:srixon-small:                     Z585 4-5 (KBS C Taper S)

:srixon-small:                     Z785 6-PW (KBS C Taper S)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey  SM8 49 08 F ( KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 59 04 L   (KBS 610)

:bettinardi-1:                Studio Stock 28 Slotback 33.5"

:bridgestone-small:       Tour BX

:Arccos:

Twitter         @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

Getting angry with a bad shot. Or just expecting Tour Pro results with every shot. 

• Like 1

WITB:

Driver:   :ping-small: G400Max, 10.5° Fujikura Ventus 6s

FW Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 17.5°

Utility:    :cobra-small: King Forged 19.5° Utility

Irons:   image.png.cbfb2d938ea45d82004d9bdeb23cf643.pngD7 Forged GW-5i

Wedges:  :Sub70:  56°

Putter:   5WoCG8Y.jpgER2 69°lie, 4° loft, 32.75"

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Buying $300 a month in new clubs, trying to find their game, when 3 lessons for $100 would drop 10 strokes.

Buying a low-loft driver, and xstiff upgrade shaft, without even thinking about getting a fitting.

Playing from the correct tees.

At some of the courses, the blues are 20-30 yards longer same obstacles.

At others the blues can add 40+ yards and\ or other obstacles ( trees, curve, not able to carry over water).

• Like 1

Always chasing different clubs

I’m gonna go with the biggest mistake average golfers can make is reading threads like this one. I know it isn’t the intention of the OP or the thread but to me this is similar to a rich guy telling a poor man, I know you didn’t ask for my advice but the reason your poor is such and such. It can come off as condescending. IMO

If your an average golfer and want to improve great. Lessons and fittings are huge in that aspect. If you just want to have fun that’s great too.
Play the game however you enjoy doing so. As long as you treat the course and other golfers with respect, what others say shouldn’t matter. 

• Like 7

What is in my Bag Boy Revolver

Driver:    PXG Gen2 0811x 10.5* set to small + with a VA Composites Nemesys 55s @ 44.75"

Fairway:  :srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Irons: Testing the Titleist T200 irons 4-W2 with Project X LZ 5.5 shaft -1/2" and 1* Up

Wedge: Titleist SM7 56* with Project X LZ 5.0 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Custom Futura X5 flow neck with a UST Frequency Filtered shaft -1" with a SS wristlock grip

On 10/4/2020 at 8:36 AM, blackngold_blood said:

I’m gonna go with the biggest mistake average golfers can make is reading threads like this one. I know it isn’t the intention of the OP or the thread but to me this is similar to a rich guy telling a poor man, I know you didn’t ask for my advice but the reason your poor is such and such. It can come off as condescending. IMO

If your an average golfer and want to improve great. Lessons and fittings are huge in that aspect. If you just want to have fun that’s great too.
Play the game however you enjoy doing so. As long as you treat the course and other golfers with respect, what others say shouldn’t matter. 

I see it as the poor man asking what mistakes the rich man knows how to avoid in order to stay rich. 

Rich man: work hard, never give up, and surround yourself with successful people

Great Player: work hard, never give up, and surround yourself with successful people

• Like 1

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

7 hours ago, Buffly said:

I see it as the poor man asking what mistakes the rich man knows how to avoid in order to stay rich. 

Rich man: work hard, never give up, and surround yourself with successful people

Great Player: work hard, never give up, and surround yourself with successful people

That is fine but from everything I have read no “poor man” asked a question.  Instead this thread is a group of people talking about what other golfers mistakes are.

I’m not saying anybody is wrong or right, just that these types of threads can do as much damage to a golfer as they can help. 

• Like 1

What is in my Bag Boy Revolver

Driver:    PXG Gen2 0811x 10.5* set to small + with a VA Composites Nemesys 55s @ 44.75"

Fairway:  :srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Irons: Testing the Titleist T200 irons 4-W2 with Project X LZ 5.5 shaft -1/2" and 1* Up

Wedge: Titleist SM7 56* with Project X LZ 5.0 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Custom Futura X5 flow neck with a UST Frequency Filtered shaft -1" with a SS wristlock grip

I think its course management i.e using a driver for every non par 3 hole.  Also to go along with this, aiming for the pin no matter how difficult the pin location.

What do you think is the biggest mistake average golfers make?
I don't think there are wrong answers here, I'm curious what everyone thinks!
I say alignment because of how all the problems that can snowball from poor alignment.

I would agree with all the comments, but add listening to advice when beginning from friends. I have a buddy who is a teaching pro now, but in highschool when I started golfing he would say, keep your head down, as I was topping the ball. It wasn't until 10 plus years later that I read an article about golf swing advice and keeping the head down isn't the issue as much as lifting the front shoulder (trying to do the work of the club). When I concentrate on hitting down on the ball rather than than trying to scoop it, I play much better.

Sent from my SM-G986U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Most important thing and one of the first things I was taught is to keep the pace of play, 10-15min per hole. when I used to hit 15min and I had people behind me, I'd pick up and move on. Being respectful and not egotistical is key, all other pointer that are mentioned in this thread  can follow.

• Like 1

🤙

Probably under clubbing and missing short putts.

:ping-small:G 10* Driver

:cobra-small:King F7 3&4 Hybrids

:mizuno-small:JPX 900 Forged P-4 Irons

Kirkland Signature 52*&56* Wedges

:taylormade-small:Corza Ghost Putter

:bridgestone-small:Tour B RXS

I would say asking what someone hit or see that someone pulls the driver so they do, or just going driver off all par 4/5s. Driver IMO isn’t always the best club off the tee. I am the most accurate 150-100 according to game golf so I try to get as close as I can to that off the tee. Prior to getting game golf tee was driver. My 9 iron carries about 155, sometimes shorter sometimes longer. I read an article somewhere that suggested taking off the iron numbers for custom or fitted clubs and putting average carry on them instead. I personally could careless what someone else hits off the tee but I have run into a good amount of people that always ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2020 TESTER Ben Hogan UiHi 18* Utility Iron

Driver:     - Anser - 8.5* - Fujikara Red Blur 005 XStiff - Standard L/L

3W:     - SQ Sumo - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana Stiff - Standard L/L

Hybrid 3:     - Machspeed - UST Mamiya AXIVCore XStiff -Standard L/L

Irons:      - Idea Black CB3  4-GW - KBS Tour Stiff+ - Standard L/L

Wedges:    - Vokey 52*, 54*, 60* - True Temper Wedge - Standard L/L

Putter:     - Versa Blade - 35in

Ball:      NXT Tour

Bag:  - Ultra Light Cart Bag  

Loc: USA/MD

Handicap: 13

2 hours ago, jb0330 said:

I would say asking what someone hit or see that someone pulls the driver so they do, or just going driver off all par 4/5s. Driver IMO isn’t always the best club off the tee. I am the most accurate 150-100 according to game golf so I try to get as close as I can to that off the tee. Prior to getting game golf tee was driver. My 9 iron carries about 155, sometimes shorter sometimes longer. I read an article somewhere that suggested taking off the iron numbers for custom or fitted clubs and putting average carry on them instead. I personally could careless what someone else hits off the tee but I have run into a good amount of people that always ask.

My friend would always ask me what I hit because he knows he would hit one more. It is just a reference point for him. He knows I take wind into consideration and pin placement so he trusts I picked the right club. If I club way up and hit a butter cut 75% shot then he can't use my number so I throw a few of those in to get him off of asking.

• Like 1

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

My friend would always ask me what I hit because he knows he would hit one more. It is just a reference point for him. He knows I take wind into consideration and pin placement so he trusts I picked the right club. If I club way up and hit a butter cut 75% shot then he can't use my number so I throw a few of those in to get him off of asking.

Just add a stroke penalty to his score per rule 10.2 every time he asks.

But like you I have hit knockdowns and partial shots to throw my friends off.
  • Like 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

3 hours ago, jb0330 said:

A buddy of mine I play with looks at me like I'm insane every time I take an iron off the tee. And almost every time, I'm in or near the fairway, only 150ish out, and he's looking for his ball in the woods or taking a drop. I've tried telling him so many times that driver isn't the right club off every tee, but it hasn't clicked with him yet.

• Like 2

Right Handed

Driver (9.5°): :taylormade-small: R9 SupterTri (Fujikura MotoreF1 65 Stiff shaft)

FW (15°): :callaway-logo-1: X2 Hot (Aldila Tour Green 75 Tx Stiff shaft)

Hybrid (18°): :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

Irons (PW-4)  post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS-1's (KBS $-Taper 120g Stiff shafts)

Wedges (52° & 60°): :callaway-logo-1: Mack Daddy 2's

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: :Snell: MTB-Black OR MAXFLI Tour

I’ve found that a big mistake folks make is simply not knowing their average distances they hit their clubs. 
Takes a bit chunk of guess work out