TESTERS WANTED! ×

Recently upgraded my complete golf set up!

Hello all, I am new to this forum and look forward to interacting with everyone and learning more about everything golf. This will be a long post, but I hope to get some good insight from my fellow golfers.

So for the longest time, I was using my old, cheap, outdated clubs that I have had since Jr High. Until a couple months ago, I decided to really start golfing again more regularly and completely upgrade my entire set.  And this is what I have:

My driver is a Taylormade M6. Bought this from the used rack at Golf Galaxy for $250, and I do like it, but I tend to slice quite a bit with it, so I need to figure out how to fix that. But at the moment, the club is at golf galaxy because I noticed a small crack on the bottom so it is getting replaced with a brand new club head from Taylor Made. I should have it sometime in October. The guy at Golf Galaxy said that in the case that TM doesnt have the M6 available, they may replace it with a SIM (that would be sweet huh, but I doubt it will happen) Either way, I am getting a new club head, and I will be changing the shaft to a stiff flex as my friend noticed I have a pretty fast swing and the M6 had a regular flex shaft, so maybe that was impacting my drives a bit. I'll also look to get a Golf Pride CP2 Jump grip. The M6 had a Golf Pride Z-Grip midsize with several extra wraps, but I want something softer, and the CP2 feels great.

My Fairway is a Titleist 915F 3 Wood. I like this club and tend to hit it pretty well. It also has the Golf Pride Z-Grip. I dont hit this club too often, but it is still used enough to take a spot in my bag.

I have 2 Hybrids, my first one is a Taylormade M1 #2 hybrid with Golfpride Z-Grip and my other is a Ping G #4 hybrid also with Golfpride grip. These are solid clubs for me.

I don't have a 4 or 5 wood and am not sure if I should replace one of my hybrids with a 5 wood?

As for my Irons, they are Taylormade Burner 2.0. My brother bought them back in 2011 brand new and never opened them, so I bought them off of him for $150, still sealed. Can't beat that deal. The set came with #4 - PW. I took the 4 iron out of my bag since I found myself never using it and instead replaced it with a Burner 2.0 Approach Wedge. This wedge is a perfect match with this set.

I have a generic 56* Sandwich that I am pretty happy with but will likely upgrade this. I just needed a SW and bought the cheapest one in the shop for $30.

I have a 60* Lob Wedge Cleveland RTX4 and I like it. Still need to get use to it as Ive only had it for a few weeks. Sand traps are the biggest weakness in my game and hope this wedge can help that. I am looking to get this same wedge in 56* to replace my generic one.

My newest and most favorite club is my beautiful putter! It is a Taylormade Spider X Copper. I was eyeing this putter for about a week after reading up on it and found it on a local facebook listing in great condition for $200. I jumped on that quick. It has the single white line and not the larger white true alignment that I would have preferred but its not a huge deal. I have only used this putter once on the course and I immediately felt how it can help my game. I am very satisfied with this club. It felt a tad light so I ordered and received a pair of 12 gram weights and  will be looking forward to using this thing again soon.

I am not a great golfer by any means, I can shoot between 95-100 in a round of 18. I would like to break 90 on a regular basis. My current golf ball is Callaway Supersoft in matte green and I also bought an ammo box of Vice Pro which I look forward to using as well. I always make sure to bring my portable bluetooth speaker as I like to listen to music while playing (turn it off around others ofcourse)

What do you guys think of my golf set up? Any recommendations to help my game?

WITB 2020:

Driver: :taylormade-small: M6 10.5*

Fairway: :titelist-small: 915F #3 Wood 16.5*

Hybrid: :taylormade-small: M1 #2 17* / :ping-small: G #4 22*

Irons: :taylormade-small: Burner 2.0 #5-AW

Wedges: Generic 56*/12 --- default_cleveland-small.jpg.c74f3b17afe658f686b5fe6afe45378f.jpg RTX4 60*/9 MID

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider X Copper

Cart: Sun Mountain Speed Cart GX

Ball: :callaway-small: Supersoft Matte Green

Bag: HTZ 3.0 Red/Black

6 hours ago, guy566 said:

Hello all, I am new to this forum and look forward to interacting with everyone and learning more about everything golf. This will be a long post, but I hope to get some good insight from my fellow golfers.

So for the longest time, I was using my old, cheap, outdated clubs that I have had since Jr High. Until a couple months ago, I decided to really start golfing again more regularly and completely upgrade my entire set.  And this is what I have:

My driver is a Taylormade M6. Bought this from the used rack at Golf Galaxy for $250, and I do like it, but I tend to slice quite a bit with it, so I need to figure out how to fix that. But at the moment, the club is at golf galaxy because I noticed a small crack on the bottom so it is getting replaced with a brand new club head from Taylor Made. I should have it sometime in October. The guy at Golf Galaxy said that in the case that TM doesnt have the M6 available, they may replace it with a SIM (that would be sweet huh, but I doubt it will happen) Either way, I am getting a new club head, and I will be changing the shaft to a stiff flex as my friend noticed I have a pretty fast swing and the M6 had a regular flex shaft, so maybe that was impacting my drives a bit. I'll also look to get a Golf Pride CP2 Jump grip. The M6 had a Golf Pride Z-Grip midsize with several extra wraps, but I want something softer, and the CP2 feels great.

My Fairway is a Titleist 915F 3 Wood. I like this club and tend to hit it pretty well. It also has the Golf Pride Z-Grip. I dont hit this club too often, but it is still used enough to take a spot in my bag.

I have 2 Hybrids, my first one is a Taylormade M1 #2 hybrid with Golfpride Z-Grip and my other is a Ping G #4 hybrid also with Golfpride grip. These are solid clubs for me.

I don't have a 4 or 5 wood and am not sure if I should replace one of my hybrids with a 5 wood?

As for my Irons, they are Taylormade Burner 2.0. My brother bought them back in 2011 brand new and never opened them, so I bought them off of him for $150, still sealed. Can't beat that deal. The set came with #4 - PW. I took the 4 iron out of my bag since I found myself never using it and instead replaced it with a Burner 2.0 Approach Wedge. This wedge is a perfect match with this set.

I have a generic 56* Sandwich that I am pretty happy with but will likely upgrade this. I just needed a SW and bought the cheapest one in the shop for $30.

I have a 60* Lob Wedge Cleveland RTX4 and I like it. Still need to get use to it as Ive only had it for a few weeks. Sand traps are the biggest weakness in my game and hope this wedge can help that. I am looking to get this same wedge in 56* to replace my generic one.

My newest and most favorite club is my beautiful putter! It is a Taylormade Spider X Copper. I was eyeing this putter for about a week after reading up on it and found it on a local facebook listing in great condition for $200. I jumped on that quick. It has the single white line and not the larger white true alignment that I would have preferred but its not a huge deal. I have only used this putter once on the course and I immediately felt how it can help my game. I am very satisfied with this club. It felt a tad light so I ordered and received a pair of 12 gram weights and  will be looking forward to using this thing again soon.

I am not a great golfer by any means, I can shoot between 95-100 in a round of 18. I would like to break 90 on a regular basis. My current golf ball is Callaway Supersoft in matte green and I also bought an ammo box of Vice Pro which I look forward to using as well. I always make sure to bring my portable bluetooth speaker as I like to listen to music while playing (turn it off around others ofcourse)

What do you guys think of my golf set up? Any recommendations to help my game?

Welcome the nthe forums I hope you enjoy the topics and conversation here.it sounds like you have a nice more modern set up. I used to have the Burner 1.0 and loved them, so I hope you like the irons, still probably keep up with newer offerings when it comes to distance.

As for recommendations let me be the first to say getting fit for clubs. A good club fitting can make a world of difference in consistency and help improve your game. Though it sounds like you just invested in these clubs so for now just getting out there and playing.

If you are really commuted to improving then lesson are also a great way to go. Getting hooked up with a good pro that you work well with will do wonders. As mentioned though the process of working with a coach will take time and practice to implement everything, but is well worth it.

Last thing I would say just enjoy the game, focus on enjoying the good shots and forget the bad ones, and have fun.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

Welcome to the board and I love your enthusiasm. 

You may surprise yourself with how many strokes you could be saving from a properly fit set. From grips to length to weight, all those factors have an effect on your score and how well those clubs work for you.  

You sound like someone with a lot of enthusiasm and I hope you enjoy your time here. 

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Hopefully TM gives you a new SIM, that would be a heck of a trade up! Switching to a stiff flex should help cure some of the slice woes if you swing hard enough.

I'll echo what others have said - getting a fitting on your current set would be my recommendation to continue to drive improvement. The pro may see things in your swing speed/spin #s/angle of attack that warrant different shafts to help keep everything under control and minimize dispersion, perhaps even gain a little yardage.

As for the 4 or 5 wood, I'd ask you the question about any yardage gaps. Do you find yourself needing a yardage that you can't get between the 3W and the 2H? If not, then I wouldn't worry about it - I don't carry a 5W, but I've I'm comfortable with the small gap in my clubs there (3W is around 240 carry/260 roll on normal swing, 3H is 210 carry/225 roll), and instead carry four wedges since I like those options playing around the greens.

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Mavrik Sub Zero,10°, Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

3W: :callaway-logo-1: Mavrik Sub Zero, 15°, Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

3H: :callaway-logo-1: Mavrik Sub Zero, 18°, KBS Tour Hybrid 75S

4i-PW: :callaway-logo-1: Mavrik Pro, +1°, True Temper Elevate Tour S, Standard Lie

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM8 - 50°/12F, 54°/14F, 58°/14K

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Special Select Squareback 2, 35"

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X

Thanks for all the input guys. I have been considering getting lessons and a fitting to help improve my game. So it is something I will likely be looking in to. 

For now, most of my clubs are still very new and I have just been wanting to use them. Always looking for new courses to try too

WITB 2020:

Wedges: Generic 56*/12 --- default_cleveland-small.jpg.c74f3b17afe658f686b5fe6afe45378f.jpg RTX4 60*/9 MID

you asked about what clubs you should put in your bag.   Each club has a purpose;  it is to hit the ball a certain distance.  Typically each club has a 15 yard gap between the next club.    Figure out how far you hit each club and see if you have small or large gaps and then look for clubs to fill those gaps.  There isn't a requirement to have 14 clubs in the bag.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I know I don't need to fill all 14 slots but there is no reason not too. As far as my distances, I have them all figured out pretty well. Still need to figure my distances with my 3 wood, 2 hybrid, and 4 hybrid. These clubs are still very new to me. 

I actually just ordered a Cleveland RTX4 sandwich 56*/10 MID last night. That will replace my generic sandwich. I played 9 holes yesterday and honestly had one of my best rounds. I scored 43 and for me, that is pretty damn good, lol. I was just hitting very well overall. And my Spider X putter was on fire. I recently added 12g weights and that seemed to really help. I was sinking many more putts. Id say that this putter saved me about 3-4 strokes compared to my previous putters.

Cant wait to get my new driver back though.

WITB 2020:

Welcome aboard! I too hail from the greater Sacramento area, up in Rocklin. MGS' putter guru Golf Spy Dave is also a local. as for recommendations, I try not to offer much fitting/club advice here because i have too much work to do on myself, but i did just recently overhaul my bag as well, only 1/2 intentionally. i had a clone set (read not counterfeit) of the TM burners and they were really good. 

enjoy the cleveland wedges ( currently rocking 4 CBX wedges)  and let's can see if we can get together sometime when it's safe for kiddos to be back in school so i can get my golf days back. 

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

2 hours ago, McaseyM said:

Welcome aboard! I too hail from the greater Sacramento area, up in Rocklin. MGS' putter guru Golf Spy Dave is also a local. as for recommendations, I try not to offer much fitting/club advice here because i have too much work to do on myself, but i did just recently overhaul my bag as well, only 1/2 intentionally. i had a clone set (read not counterfeit) of the TM burners and they were really good. 

enjoy the cleveland wedges ( currently rocking 4 CBX wedges)  and let's can see if we can get together sometime when it's safe for kiddos to be back in school so i can get my golf days back. 

Awesome, Im all for finding locals to golf with. I find myself golfing solo alot. I do have people I golf with but with schedules and all, it never hurts to have more people in your local golf friends group. So your from Rocklin? Thats awesome, my twin brother just moved there and I have actually played several courses in the Roseville/Rocklin area recently and my favorite course by far is Whitney Oaks. That course is one of my favorite in the entire area. And with my brother living half a mile from there, gives me all the more reason to play there more. 

I'd be totally down to play any course with you and your friend. I have also played Woodcreek (the course wasn't in the best shape) and Diamond Oaks (played here a couple years ago)

Looking forward to hitting the course soon man!

WITB 2020:

Club set up is a good start especially with the intention of improving and taking the game a bit more serious.  Like all the recommendations of finding an instructor too. You can get all the "advice" you want, but a good PGA Pro Instructor can really help you with your game, including possibly curing that slice.  We all aren't Rory, Justin Thomas or Bryson, but we can learn the basic & fundamentals which can make the game fun.  Then "tinker"!  If you think you will enjoy practicing, an instructor can also give good basics, fundamentals & good swing thoughts to work on. Golf is such a great game! Good Luck!!  

Titleist T200 Irons - 5i thru Gap Wedge - Stiff AMT Black

Callaway PARADYM X 9.0 with Hazrdous X Black 6.0 Stiff Shaft

Fairway Woods:  Callaway Maverick 3W & RazrX Black 5W - Stiff Flex

Rescue:  Apex 4 (22 degree )- Recoil 75H stiff flex 

Wedges: Titleist SM8 - 54 (D Grind) wedge flex; SM8 58(M grind) wedge flex

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X5.5

Ball: Titleist ProV1

Handicap: 0

I bought my Spider X putter used and it came with the head cover but damn, why does Taylormade have to use Velcro. The headcover wouldn't stick as well as it should so I ordered a new one that has a magnetic closure and its a beauty, check this out.

IMG_3333[1].JPG

IMG_3334[1].JPG

IMG_3336[1].JPG

WITB 2020:

4 hours ago, guy566 said:

I bought my Spider X putter used and it came with the head cover but damn, why does Taylormade have to use Velcro. The headcover wouldn't stick as well as it should so I ordered a new one that has a magnetic closure and its a beauty, check this out.

IMG_3333[1].JPG

IMG_3334[1].JPG

IMG_3336[1].JPG

Yeah I am not a fan of velcro covers, prefer magnetic. I bought a Callaway TT #10 (has a good magnetic cover functional wise, just did not like the look) awhile back and decided to show MGS some love in my bag.

I ordered this one: https://store.mygolfspy.com/products/mgs-mallet-headcover and can not say enough good things about it. Receive many questions/comments also.

Understand you have a new magnetic one but want to share the MGS one (you can always have extra putter of two 😀 down the road). Don't know if it would fit your Spider but maybe some others will chime in if they know. Good luck on your clubs and play. 

Wow, that is a nice MGS cover. The shape looks like it wont fit the Spider X as it has a curved shape but definately a very nice cover. Wonder if MGS can make a universal mallet putter cover? 

WITB 2020:

Thanks! Do you use 4-PW for your burner 2.0's?

I took my 4 Iron out of my bag and replaced it with a Burner 2.0 Approach wedge, I believe the loft is 50%. Found this club on ebay as a perfect match to the rest of the set. Cost me about $65. I never thought of adding an approach/gap wedge to my bag until my friend who I was golfing with recommended it. I was having trouble with shots from 75-100 yards. I would use my pitching wedge and usually over shot the green. This A wedge has since filled that slot nicely. 

WITB 2020:

• 1 month later...

As another Sacramento resident, just wanted to stop into the thread and say 'hey' to @guy566 and @McaseyM. I have the good fortune to live less than 10 minutes from Haggin Oaks, so that's my usual haunt, but I've also played a couple of times lately at River Oaks in Nicolaus, which is a nice course for the price. My schedule doesn't give me a lot of time to play, but would be fun to get together with some other Sacramento folks from here to play sometime!

Welcome to the forum.  I was just starting my journey not so long ago and the anticipation of putting new clubs up with a growing hunger for the game is an exciting time.  As for now, if the clubs work keep em going.  I've found that the best money I have spent has been learning how to hit my clubs with a professional instructor.  Finding one that you can communicate with is key.  Enjoy the sport and enjoy the forum.  We are glad you've decided to jump into the fray!

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

2 hours ago, stevemccready said:

As another Sacramento resident, just wanted to stop into the thread and say 'hey' to @guy566 and @McaseyM. I have the good fortune to live less than 10 minutes from Haggin Oaks, so that's my usual haunt, but I've also played a couple of times lately at River Oaks in Nicolaus, which is a nice course for the price. My schedule doesn't give me a lot of time to play, but would be fun to get together with some other Sacramento folks from here to play sometime!

Loved playing Haggin Oaks with GolfSpys Dave and Tim 5 years ago as I was driving through the area.  Turkeys on the #1 Tee Box.

image.png.1166be0843cadef16ec92a0ef7550172.png

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

In addition to all the advice on fitting, learning how to plot your way around a course will get you to 90. The YouTube channel Golfsidekick has been the best for that. He has a number of course management videos with realistic non -pro swings shall we say? It’s amazing if you can hit one club 150+ straight, one 100 yards, a chipping club and putter how much you can do on course

https://golfsidekick.com/knowledge/how-to-break-90-consistently/

WITB

TS2 10.5 

M2 3HL

Mavrik Max 5W

Titleist 818 4 hybrid 

Mizuno JPX921 HMP 5-Gap

Mizuno S19 56

Maltby TSW 60

Bobby Grace Shiloh putter