TESTERS WANTED! ×

My Golf Spy Ball Lab Report-Snell MTB X

Golfspy_CG2

2 minutes ago, jscho said:

What about distance? Still the same between the 2 or is one longer than the other?

High swing speeds may see slightly higher ball speeds off the driver with the X, but the difference in distance for the majority of players will likely be negligible. 

:titelist-small:  TS2 9.5

:titelist-small:  909F2 15.5

:titelist-small:  690.CB 3-PW

:titelist-small:  Vokey SM5 50, 56

image.png.e50b7e7a9b18feff4720d7b223a2013d.png   Works Versa 1W

Just now, storm319 said:

High swing speeds may see slightly higher ball speeds off the driver with the X, but the difference in distance for the majority of players will likely be negligible. 

Makes sense. With my 110 swing speed I'm sure that distance variations are most likely immaterial, especially once you get further in the bag too. 

Guess it will just come down to sound/feel preference and if I have a preference of one vs the other.

Titleist 913 D2/15* wood/18* Hybrid

AP2 4-PW KBS Tour X-Stiff

50*/54*/56*/58* Vokey Wedges

SC Newport 2 - 33" 

Do you think the distance with the X is enough to warrant using it over the Black? I know "harder" golf balls go further typically but if its a matter of the X giving me 15 more yards off the tee vs the Black then I might have to consider going with the X.

Not sure, but I will say I really like them compared to the Pro V1x and Bridgestone Tour B X.

I don’t think that the pro V1x or MTB-X feel particularly harder than a Pro V1 except on poor contact, and putting.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

45 minutes ago, jscho said:

Do you think the distance with the X is enough to warrant using it over the Black? I know "harder" golf balls go further typically but if its a matter of the X giving me 15 more yards off the tee vs the Black then I might have to consider going with the X.

15 yards? Nah. 5-10 tops. But it's also going to be VERY dependent on your swing and your course conditions. I swing 105-110mph and play fairly soft courses, so I need more carry, which I get from the higher-launching X. With the Black I was seeing low/mid launch but with so much spin that it was borderline ballooning and then very minimal roll-out off the tee.

And all of that to say, I don't make ball decisions based on driver. I like to hit half-wedges up to 8i and see how it performs and I have a very specific performance that I'm looking for in these scoring yardages.

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

Here is a wrench thrown into this... The MTB-X optic yellow for me is actually getting 2-3mph more ball speed off the driver vs. the white... I know Tony spoke about this in a No Puts Given but yellow balls have a different chemical formula than the white so I would love to see this test done!

Driver:taylormade-small: SIM 10.5, Graphite Design Tour AD-XC 6X 

Woods:titelist-small: TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X

Hybrid: :ping-small: G410 3&4H, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 95X 

Irons:titelist-small: T-100 3-PW, Nippon Modus 120 X 

Wedges: :mizuno-small: T20, DG TI S400, 50/56/60

Putter:  :EVNROLL: ER1.2 W/BGT Stability Shaft

Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1X-Optic Yellow

Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer

Here is a wrench thrown into this... The MTB-X optic yellow for me is actually getting 2-3mph more ball speed off the driver vs. the white... I know Tony spoke about this in a No Puts Given but yellow balls have a different chemical formula than the white so I would love to see this test done!

2-3 MPH?!

That’s gotta be at least in part from better contact with the yellow. Maybe it suits your eye?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

27 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

2-3 MPH?! emoji15.png

That’s gotta be at least in part from better contact with the yellow. Maybe it suits your eye?

Yah truth... I can not wait on MGS so I literally bought a box of every tour level ball in white and yellow to do my own test... Problem is I need a GCquad since its better at picking up strike point than trackman (not even sure if trackman does that)....

Driver:taylormade-small: SIM 10.5, Graphite Design Tour AD-XC 6X 

Woods:titelist-small: TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X

Hybrid: :ping-small: G410 3&4H, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 95X 

Irons:titelist-small: T-100 3-PW, Nippon Modus 120 X 

Wedges: :mizuno-small: T20, DG TI S400, 50/56/60

Putter:  :EVNROLL: ER1.2 W/BGT Stability Shaft

Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1X-Optic Yellow

Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer

3 hours ago, Manimal26 said:

No surprise, it's why you rarely see white hod rods 😉.

Wallpapers ID:697204

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I can't comment on the difference between the Black and the X, but can tell you I've tried lots of brands and models and love the X. FYI I'm coming from Pro V 1X. I have a 5 doz pack that's supposed to be showing up tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

18 hours ago, jscho said:

What about distance? Still the same between the 2 or is one longer than the other?

For me, it's a wash with distance.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

56 minutes ago, MattF said:

For me, it's a wash with distance.

Me too. I have more experience with Snell than any other brand. I’ve played MTB Blacks and the original MTB’s before for years, and I am halfway through 4 dozen MTBXs. IMO the difference in distance and (driver) spin is almost negligible between Black and X, there’s no way the difference is 15 yards unless you’re Bryson, more like 5 yards if that. The X does spin more greenside, but it’s fairly subtle, like the difference between ProV1 vs V1X greenside - we’re not talking a night and day difference in either case. So I’m going back to Blacks as they spin plenty greenside to me, and I’d rather have a little lower compression and driver spin. The MTBX is very high compression, recently confirmed in Tony’s ball lab. YMMV

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

I've played both Black and MTB-X and, for me, there is little discernible difference.  I'm sure on a testing platform or in the hands of a highly skilled ball striker, you'll see some differences, but I don't see them in my play.  I did see a difference when playing the Red (previous spin ball).  They were noticeably shorter off the tee and irons.  I play the MTB-X exclusively and have since they were first released to the public.  IMO, they're the best bang for the buck -- a premium ball at a reasonable price.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Has anyone had any experience playing the MTB Black vs the MTB X?
On Snell's website they say to play the MTB Black if you normally play a Pro V1 instead of a Pro V1X because of the softer feel.
I'm a 10 hdcp and play the Pro V1 over the Pro V1x, but the metrics and results of the MGS test for the MTB X are hard to deny, so I'm just curious if people are getting the same or similar results with added yardage and low driver spin with the MTB Black when compared to the MTB X. If both golf balls are the same in terms of distance and low driver spin, then I guess it just comes down to how much spin do you want and do you want softer feel compression vs slightly less.
I should probably buy a test pack and try for myself, but wanted to reach out first and see what other members were experiencing between the 2 balls.
Thanks!

I bought the test box(6 each) and alternated holes with each ball for 4 rounds. Initially I thought I’d end up playing the black, but eventually settled on the X. The black is a little too soft for my liking, and the spin off the driver was a tad too much. Didn’t notice a difference in yardage for any club with the X vs the black, but for my swing speed I prefer the X’s trajectory. I doubt you’d be unhappy with either: I’d say play whichever you like to putt with most.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

Just want to add here that if you get sent a 20% off code from golfballs.com it works on the Snell balls so you can get them personalized for basically the same price as buying direct from Snell.

Priced out 4 dozen and it worked out to about $32 a dozen.

1 hour ago, B.Boston said:

Just want to add here that if you get sent a 20% off code from golfballs.com it works on the Snell balls so you can get them personalized for basically the same price as buying direct from Snell.

Priced out 4 dozen and it worked out to about $32 a dozen.

By all means if you want personalized balls BUT 4 dozen Snell MTB’s are only $29.99/dozen with FREE shipping every day, and it’s $28.99/dozen on 2 or more dozen for the holidays. Golfballs.com does not offer free shipping.

• Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

By all means if you want personalized balls BUT 4 dozen Snell MTB’s are only $29.99/dozen with FREE shipping every day, and it’s $28.99/dozen on 2 or more dozen for the holidays. Golfballs.com does not offer free shipping.

Yeah, after being part of the testing I really like the align XL. And my sharpie lines leave something to be desired, so I’m hooked. Haha

But yes, if you don’t want personalization direct from Snell with the volume discount is great!

These results are confirming what many have been saying about Snell balls - high quality and performance at very competitive price. A fellow spy gave me a sleeve of these at our 2018 PNW Spy Meetup.  I'd never even heard of them prior to that.  I've subsequently seen a couple videos of Dean Snell (one with Adam if memory serves), and it was both interesting and revealing. I am admittedly not very ball savvy or selective but have added these to my short list of preferred balls.  Maybe one day I'll do a ball fitting and find out whether any of those I've chosen actually fit me best 😆.

These results are confirming what many have been saying about Snell balls - high quality and performance at very competitive price. A fellow spy gave me a sleeve of these at our 2018 PNW Spy Meetup.  I'd never even heard of them prior to that.  I've subsequently seen a couple videos of Dean Snell (one with Adam if memory serves), and it was both interesting and revealing. I am admittedly not very ball savvy or selective but have added these to my short list of preferred balls.  Maybe one day I'll do a ball fitting and find out whether any of those I've chosen actually fit me best .

I can tell you that I don't get any performance differences by paying another $12/doz for Pro V's. It's also interesting that I get quizzical looks when I tell my fellow golfers I'm playing Snell. Of course, many of them are playing found balls and haven't a clue what shaft they have in any of their clubs.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Awesome thanks everyone for the input! Really appreciate the feedback. Going to buy a test pack and see for myself.

SC Newport 2 - 33" 

For those that want to stock up on balls....I got a black friday promo email from Snell with 5 dozen being $25.99 ea.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

1 hour ago, Shapotomous said:

For those that want to stock up on balls....I got a black friday promo email from Snell with 5 dozen being $25.99 ea.

I was just on the Snell website and that is the same sale price w/free shipping.

Golf Balls - Snell Golf

On 11/22/2020 at 6:27 PM, tony@CIC said:

I can tell you that I don't get any performance differences by paying another $12/doz for Pro V's. It's also interesting that I get quizzical looks when I tell my fellow golfers I'm playing Snell. Of course, many of them are playing found balls and haven't a clue what shaft they have in any of their clubs.

Same here. Most of my regular golf buds (about 15) can't understand why I BUY and play Snell golf balls almost exclusively. ALL of them play found balls, or lesser Titleist models mostly (Velocity et al, not ProV1's). The only upside, two of my golf buds have given me bags of Snell's they've found since they all know I prefer them...

I don't think there's any significant difference in performance between an MTB and a ProV1, but MGS and others report Titleist is more consistent quality. Fortunately the variation in my swing is far greater than the variation in either ball... 🙄

• Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone else noticed a difference in the MTB-X white versus optic yellow? I have been playing them side by side along with the MTB Black in both colors as well. Seems to me the MTB-X in white is a bit firmer off all clubs and may fly a couple yards longer off the driver versus the MTB-X in yellow. Seems to me the MTB-X in yellow plays more closely to the MTB Black, just an overall softer feel. 

32 minutes ago, CGuff said:

Has anyone else noticed a difference in the MTB-X white versus optic yellow? I have been playing them side by side along with the MTB Black in both colors as well. Seems to me the MTB-X in white is a bit firmer off all clubs and may fly a couple yards longer off the driver versus the MTB-X in yellow. Seems to me the MTB-X in yellow plays more closely to the MTB Black, just an overall softer feel. 

I think if you look back in the comments here someone was saying that they are seeing more ball speed with the yellow over the white, but that contradicts what you are seeing.

SC Newport 2 - 33" 

2 hours ago, jscho said:

I think if you look back in the comments here someone was saying that they are seeing more ball speed with the yellow over the white, but that contradicts what you are seeing.

Yes I noticed that, my observations on distance are minimal at best. The biggest difference I noticed was in regard to feel. Especially off a putter without an insert, they fell/sound like 2 totally different balls. Not knocking either one as they both perform. 

Cant comment on the Snell MTB-X, because I have only played the yellow. But with Srixon XV's I've always found the yellow to be a touch longer and definitely more durable. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

• 3 weeks later...

For those who play the optic yellow how do you like it in comparison to the standard white MTB-x? Thinking about changing it to help my vision, typically have a hard time following shot distances. 

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review