Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

My Golf Spy Ball Lab Report-Snell MTB X

Golfspy_CG2

2 hours ago, RollingGreens said:

For those who play the optic yellow how do you like it in comparison to the standard white MTB-x? Thinking about changing it to help my vision, typically have a hard time following shot distances. 

Performance wise, no differences.  It is more visible in most conditions, but fall leaves will give it issue 🙂  I played a dozen, but went back to white.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

• 2 weeks later...

So I just ordered a box of the MTX-B for my trip to Pinehurst next month.  I have been playing the Srixon Z Star XV this year and I am not happy with the cover/durability of this ball.  Needless to say, I will not be playing Srixon's once my stash is gone.  So it's either back to Bridgestones (which I loved) or the Snell's.  I have not hit them before, but if they work out as well as everyone is saying, then it just may be them!!!

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

I ordered a dozen of the Snell MTX-B and they came yesterday.  I quickly opened the box to find a hand signed packing slip.  Now, I know this may not seem like a big deal to some, but I have to say that I LOVED this little touch by Snell.  This gesture only takes seconds to do on their end, but for me, it's the little things.  This is how you build brand loyalty.  In my previous life, I owned a small sporting goods store and I tried very hard to form relationships with my customers, this is what I believed brought customers back time and time again.  Snell is doing this for me as we speak and I have not even hit their ball yet.  Man, I hope I like it.  I'm impressed so far Snell!!!

snell.jpg

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

• 4 weeks later...

Figured I'd just post here instead of creating a thread for it, but I just received my Snell MTB Test Pack. I've gamed the MTB-Black before and thought it performed well, but didn't appreciate the feel. With all the Ball Lab reports coming out, I've been more intrigued with another experiment and wanted to check out the MTB-X as well.

I rolled a few putts and had a small (read short in distance) chipping session in my living room. While there are perceivable differences in feel, I don't think either is offensive by any means. Ready to get out on the course and give them a proper test next to my current gamer!

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

First round with the Snell MTB Test Pack. Rotated between these and my current gamer every three holes.

Standout performer of the day was MTB-X by a mile as I played 6 holes at even par with it - birdie, par, par, bogey, par, par.

I really liked the flight I was getting with that ball in particular and also seemed to be able to control it quite well. Twice, I had to flight the ball due to some tree trouble and had absolutely zero issues hitting the trajectory and shape I wanted. It's definitely a firmer ball, but not nearly as bad as I was expecting. 

Curious to see how the next few rounds go as I continue to test. I'd like to go back to the course I played today and switch up the rotation as I do feel the MTB-X may have had an unfair advantage. Although looking at the handicap for each hole would indicate that the six holes I played MTB-X were quite a bit more difficult compared to the other balls... 

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour