50*/54*/56*/58* Vokey Wedges

SC Newport 2 - 33" 

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Another home run for Snell! I don't know if I'd actually ever game the X (I will definitely be giving it a try now!) so I am very interested in the MTB Black when Tony's able to get enough balls for t

https://mygolfspy.com/snell-mtb-x-golf-ball-review/#comment-475243 Share your thoughts below!    

I ordered a dozen of the Snell MTX-B and they came yesterday.  I quickly opened the box to find a hand signed packing slip.  Now, I know this may not seem like a big deal to some, but I have to say th

Posted Images

For those that want to stock up on balls....I got a black friday promo email from Snell with 5 dozen being $25.99 ea.

• Like 2

Modern Bag:  Ping G410+ 9*, Accra TourZ X265 M5;  Callaway Mavrik 16.5* 4W, EvenFlow Riptide 6.0 S 70g;  Mizuno JPX 919 HMP 4i, PX LZ 6.0;  Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Cleveland Tour Action 49*, 53*, 57*; PX LZ 6.5 ;  Ping Heppler Fetch;  Ball - Snell MTB-X; Bag - Sun Mountain H2NO 

Classic Bag:  Driver - Wilson Staff Persimmon; 3w - Hogan Speed Slot; 5w - Wilson Staff Tour Block; 3 - pw - Staff Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

1 hour ago, Shapotomous said:

For those that want to stock up on balls....I got a black friday promo email from Snell with 5 dozen being $25.99 ea.

I was just on the Snell website and that is the same sale price w/free shipping.

Golf Balls - Snell Golf

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

On 11/22/2020 at 6:27 PM, tony@CIC said:

I can tell you that I don't get any performance differences by paying another $12/doz for Pro V's. It's also interesting that I get quizzical looks when I tell my fellow golfers I'm playing Snell. Of course, many of them are playing found balls and haven't a clue what shaft they have in any of their clubs.

Same here. Most of my regular golf buds (about 15) can't understand why I BUY and play Snell golf balls almost exclusively. ALL of them play found balls, or lesser Titleist models mostly (Velocity et al, not ProV1's). The only upside, two of my golf buds have given me bags of Snell's they've found since they all know I prefer them...

I don't think there's any significant difference in performance between an MTB and a ProV1, but MGS and others report Titleist is more consistent quality. Fortunately the variation in my swing is far greater than the variation in either ball... 🙄

• Like 4
  • Callaway Rogue 10.5° & 3W
  • Mizuno CLK 3H 19°, JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B (replaced ER2)
  • Snell MTB-Black
  • 2 weeks later...

Has anyone else noticed a difference in the MTB-X white versus optic yellow? I have been playing them side by side along with the MTB Black in both colors as well. Seems to me the MTB-X in white is a bit firmer off all clubs and may fly a couple yards longer off the driver versus the MTB-X in yellow. Seems to me the MTB-X in yellow plays more closely to the MTB Black, just an overall softer feel. 

32 minutes ago, CGuff said:

Has anyone else noticed a difference in the MTB-X white versus optic yellow? I have been playing them side by side along with the MTB Black in both colors as well. Seems to me the MTB-X in white is a bit firmer off all clubs and may fly a couple yards longer off the driver versus the MTB-X in yellow. Seems to me the MTB-X in yellow plays more closely to the MTB Black, just an overall softer feel. 

I think if you look back in the comments here someone was saying that they are seeing more ball speed with the yellow over the white, but that contradicts what you are seeing.

Titleist 913 D2/15* wood/18* Hybrid

AP2 4-PW KBS Tour X-Stiff

50*/54*/56*/58* Vokey Wedges

SC Newport 2 - 33" 

2 hours ago, jscho said:

I think if you look back in the comments here someone was saying that they are seeing more ball speed with the yellow over the white, but that contradicts what you are seeing.

Yes I noticed that, my observations on distance are minimal at best. The biggest difference I noticed was in regard to feel. Especially off a putter without an insert, they fell/sound like 2 totally different balls. Not knocking either one as they both perform. 

Cant comment on the Snell MTB-X, because I have only played the yellow. But with Srixon XV's I've always found the yellow to be a touch longer and definitely more durable. 

• Like 1

2020 TESTER Ben Hogan UiHi 18* Utility Iron

• Driver: :ping-small: G410 Plus 9*, Oban Gold
  • Hybrids::adams-small:  Super XTD 17* Hybrid Fubuki AX:callaway-small:,  Apex 20* AD-DI 85S, Apex 23* Oban Purple
  • Irons: :srixon-small: Z585 5-6, Z785 7-PW, Modus 120s
  • Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX4 50, Modus 120x:taylormade-small:, Hi Toe 56 & 60, Modus 120x
  • Putter: :EVNROLL:  ER3 @ 33"
  • 3 weeks later...

For those who play the optic yellow how do you like it in comparison to the standard white MTB-x? Thinking about changing it to help my vision, typically have a hard time following shot distances. 

• Like 1

:titelist-small: TS3 8.5 D Hazardous Smoke Black

:titelist-small: TS3 15.5 3W Fuji Speeder

:titelist-small: 818 H1 19deg Hybrid Fuji Atmos White

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-GW Nippon Modus 120

:vokey-small: SM7 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold

:odyssey-small:  Double Wide Stroke Lab 2019

:Snell: MTB-X Golf Ball

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

2 hours ago, RollingGreens said:

For those who play the optic yellow how do you like it in comparison to the standard white MTB-x? Thinking about changing it to help my vision, typically have a hard time following shot distances. 

Performance wise, no differences.  It is more visible in most conditions, but fall leaves will give it issue 🙂  I played a dozen, but went back to white.

• Like 1

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree Alta CB55 Stiff shaft 

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: M6 --- 3 (19 degrees), 4 (22 degrees), and 5 (25 degrees) Atmos shaft R

Irons: :callaway-small:Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW KBS Tour Graphite  70g shafts R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX-2 52*, 56*, 60* wedges.  Stock shafts.

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

• 2 weeks later...

So I just ordered a box of the MTX-B for my trip to Pinehurst next month.  I have been playing the Srixon Z Star XV this year and I am not happy with the cover/durability of this ball.  Needless to say, I will not be playing Srixon's once my stash is gone.  So it's either back to Bridgestones (which I loved) or the Snell's.  I have not hit them before, but if they work out as well as everyone is saying, then it just may be them!!!

• Like 4

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: :callaway-small:  Apex w/Kuro Kage stiff

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Del Mar 34"

I ordered a dozen of the Snell MTX-B and they came yesterday.  I quickly opened the box to find a hand signed packing slip.  Now, I know this may not seem like a big deal to some, but I have to say that I LOVED this little touch by Snell.  This gesture only takes seconds to do on their end, but for me, it's the little things.  This is how you build brand loyalty.  In my previous life, I owned a small sporting goods store and I tried very hard to form relationships with my customers, this is what I believed brought customers back time and time again.  Snell is doing this for me as we speak and I have not even hit their ball yet.  Man, I hope I like it.  I'm impressed so far Snell!!!

snell.jpg

• Like 6

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: :callaway-small:  Apex w/Kuro Kage stiff

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Del Mar 34"

• 4 weeks later...

Figured I'd just post here instead of creating a thread for it, but I just received my Snell MTB Test Pack. I've gamed the MTB-Black before and thought it performed well, but didn't appreciate the feel. With all the Ball Lab reports coming out, I've been more intrigued with another experiment and wanted to check out the MTB-X as well.

I rolled a few putts and had a small (read short in distance) chipping session in my living room. While there are perceivable differences in feel, I don't think either is offensive by any means. Ready to get out on the course and give them a proper test next to my current gamer!

• Like 2

Driver: Mizuno ST190 9.5* Aldila RIP Alpha 60 S
Fairway Wood: Mizuno ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hyrbrid: Mizuno CLK 19* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: Bridgestone J40 CB (4-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: Bridgestone Tour B XW-1 50*, 54*, & 58* Nippon Modus 3 105
Putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach SOFT Premier 4 34"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS
Bag: 2017 Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

First round with the Snell MTB Test Pack. Rotated between these and my current gamer every three holes.

Standout performer of the day was MTB-X by a mile as I played 6 holes at even par with it - birdie, par, par, bogey, par, par.

I really liked the flight I was getting with that ball in particular and also seemed to be able to control it quite well. Twice, I had to flight the ball due to some tree trouble and had absolutely zero issues hitting the trajectory and shape I wanted. It's definitely a firmer ball, but not nearly as bad as I was expecting. 

Curious to see how the next few rounds go as I continue to test. I'd like to go back to the course I played today and switch up the rotation as I do feel the MTB-X may have had an unfair advantage. Although looking at the handicap for each hole would indicate that the six holes I played MTB-X were quite a bit more difficult compared to the other balls... 

• Like 5

Driver: Mizuno ST190 9.5* Aldila RIP Alpha 60 S
Fairway Wood: Mizuno ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hyrbrid: Mizuno CLK 19* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: Bridgestone J40 CB (4-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: Bridgestone Tour B XW-1 50*, 54*, & 58* Nippon Modus 3 105
Putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach SOFT Premier 4 34"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS
Bag: 2017 Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag