Testers Wanted! AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Reasons for Super High Ball Flight

Anyone have any possible suggestions as to why I could be launching the ball way to high? Aside from slightly scooping the ball a little bit I still launch the ball much higher then I would like and shots into light wind can end up losing 20 yards. Is this mostly from scooping or could my P790's be adding additional launch that is not really needed?

Driver:  :titleist-small: TSR3 8°, set to A1, Graphite Design UB 7X 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small:SIM 3 Wood 15°, Aldila Rouge Silver 7X

3 Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 18°, Ventus Blue 8S

2 Utility: :srixon-small: ZX Utility, LA Golf Tour AXS Blue, (15th club)

4i-AW:  :srixon-small:ZX7, Tour Issue Dynamic Gold 120's S400

56°: :Sub70: TAIII, Dynamic Gold S400

60° :Sub70: TAIII, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :L.A.B.: Mezz1 Max

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour BX

Forum Reviews: 

:Sub70: Official Member Review Sub 70 TAIII Wedges

:Nippon: Official Member Review Zelos 7 Shaft Review

:vokey-small:Unofficial Vokey SM8 and Wedge & Wedge Works Review 

:srixon-small:Unofficial Srixon 2021 ZX7 Iron Review

:titleist-small: Unofficial TSR3 Review

There are of course a number of factors that could be affecting this. Spin can be something to consider, especially into the wind which will kick up the spin, though the P790 are generally lower spin. As you mention launch might be too high depending on your club head speed, and potentially adding dynamic loft during the swing. It sounds like the best option would be to get on a launch monitor, preferably a GC Quad to get the  club head data, with a professional club fitter or coach who can help you understand what is going on. Tough to guess at this point, but getting some more data about your launch and delivery conditions would be the place to start.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

What launch angles are you seeing? The reason I ask is most people people think that they launch high but really don’t.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 minutes ago, cnosil said:

What launch angles are you seeing? The reason I ask is most people people think that they launch high but really don’t.

I don't have that information yet. I'm planning on doing a gapping session on trackman at my local range this weekend to have all the data for my entire set. Will definitely be getting back to you on that once I've completed the gapping session though.

Forum Reviews: 

34 minutes ago, ejgaudette said:

There are of course a number of factors that could be affecting this. Spin can be something to consider, especially into the wind which will kick up the spin, though the P790 are generally lower spin. As you mention launch might be too high depending on your club head speed, and potentially adding dynamic loft during the swing. It sounds like the best option would be to get on a launch monitor, preferably a GC Quad to get the  club head data, with a professional club fitter or coach who can help you understand what is going on. Tough to guess at this point, but getting some more data about your launch and delivery conditions would be the place to start.

Agreed. After I get trackman data I will definitely have a better idea of what's actually going on. 

Forum Reviews: 

How do you know your launching high? Do you have something to compare it too? I launch higher than most people I play with and they scoop the ball. I'm compressing the ball and getting more distance and height than the guys I regularly play with. unless I think the piss out of it hahah.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue Sub Zero 9* stiff

Wood: :adams-small: Tight Lies TI 3 wood stiff

Hybrid: :callaway-small: XR 3 19 deg stiff

Irons: :mizuno-small:  JPX 900 Tour std loft/lie

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 52,56,60

Putter: :odyssey-small: #7 Red

Ball: :srixon-small: Q-Star

12.9 Handicap

Comox Valley, B.C. 🇨🇦

18 minutes ago, StrawberryShortCake said:

How do you know your launching high? Do you have something to compare it too? I launch higher than most people I play with and they scoop the ball. I'm compressing the ball and getting more distance and height than the guys I regularly play with. unless I think the piss out of it hahah.

Regardless of who I play with I always have the highest ball flight of my playing partners by a substantial amount. I very well could be compressing the ball but I always thought that compressing the ball and scooping were mutually exclusive so if you were doing one you weren't doing the other.

Forum Reviews: 

1 hour ago, ZMendle10 said:

Regardless of who I play with I always have the highest ball flight of my playing partners by a substantial amount. I very well could be compressing the ball but I always thought that compressing the ball and scooping were mutually exclusive so if you were doing one you weren't doing the other.

We are not saying you don't hit it high,  but launch angles and peak height will answer that question.   Most people hit the ball too low.  

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Just now, cnosil said:

We are not saying you don't hit it high,  but launch angles and peak height will answer that question.   Most people hit the ball too low.  

Very fair. won't know for sure until Saturday then.

Forum Reviews: 

Hope everything goes well then and hope you find out some good data about your swing.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

On 9/30/2020 at 5:26 PM, ZMendle10 said:

As someone who fights the scoop I have to imagine that is your issue. If you scoop you are going to hit it higher and shorter. You might also have the face a bit could cause even higher flight (and the ball to start a bit more right). 

I would try and video your swing face on (or ask a playing partner to do it) so you get an idea of what you're doing at impact. If your hands are behind the ball, then you're scooping and I would imagine that is the root cause of what you're seeing. 

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

17 hours ago, newballcoach said:

As someone who fights the scoop I have to imagine that is your issue. If you scoop you are going to hit it higher and shorter. You might also have the face a bit could cause even higher flight (and the ball to start a bit more right). 

I would try and video your swing face on (or ask a playing partner to do it) so you get an idea of what you're doing at impact. If your hands are behind the ball, then you're scooping and I would imagine that is the root cause of what you're seeing. 

I have been able to record my swing and my hands do get a little scoopy just before impact so this is most likely the case. I still haven't made it onto a trackman yet to get any real solid numbers on launching conditions yet unfortunately. 

Forum Reviews: 

14 hours ago, ZMendle10 said:

I have been able to record my swing and my hands do get a little scoopy just before impact so this is most likely the case. I still haven't made it onto a trackman yet to get any real solid numbers on launching conditions yet unfortunately. 

I have to be honest, getting on a trackman probably isn't going to help you. If you keep flipping at impact, you're going to keep doing so and until you fix that issue, the launch problem isn't going away. No offence, but I don't see what help getting some numbers is going to be.

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

• 1 month later...

I was finally able to get on trackman yesterday and get some data on my shots. Those averages are about a sample size of between 5-10 similar shots based on smash factor and spin rate. My current gamers are the 2019 P790's and the data for my irons 5i through 9i can be seen below. 

image.png.9ccd647fb3810e1d2e1c55ef4db1c92c.png

Forum Reviews: 

23 minutes ago, ZMendle10 said:

I was finally able to get on trackman yesterday and get some data on my shots. Those averages are about a sample size of between 5-10 similar shots based on smash factor and spin rate. My current gamers are the 2019 P790's and the data for my irons 5i through 9i can be seen below. 

I am not a clubfitter,  but from what I know those numbers look pretty good.  For the clubspeed the launch angle, spin, contact, and descent angle look like they are within desired parameters. 

1 minute ago, cnosil said:

I am not a clubfitter,  but from what I know those numbers look pretty good.  For the clubspeed the launch angle, spin, contact, and descent angle look like they are within desired parameters. 

I am not either and I feel like the numbers do line up despite rewatching my swing on video (as each shot was recorded) and each shot was scoopy a bit. Anyone fitters who can help shed light on the data would be appreciated.

Forum Reviews: 

46 minutes ago, ZMendle10 said:

Curious what kind of ball flight you normally produce? Straight, push, pull, draw, fade, pull-fade, push-draw, etc? 

I found the 🔢 numbers interesting in the difference between the 9i and 8i. The dynamic lofts were only 0.7° different and the launch angle was only 0.1° different. The 10 yard gap came from the slower club head speed and slightly higher spin on the 9i. 

The swing plane on the 8i & 9i is drastically different than the rest - either an over the top move or standing to close to the ball are just guesses?

The 7i looks like the oddball, and where the short irons start to get squirrelly, with the biggest yardage Gap from the 6i to the 7i and another leap to the 8i. Are you a tall person playing standard length and standard lie? Or do you have a high wrist to floor?  You seem to hit the 5 & 6 irons just fine but, the rest have a descent angle that is a bit more steep than would seem ideal - reflecting the higher ball flight you originally mentioned. 

The rabbit hole is open...

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

1 hour ago, Buffly said:

Curious what kind of ball flight you normally produce? Straight, push, pull, draw, fade, pull-fade, push-draw, etc? 

I found the 🔢 numbers interesting in the difference between the 9i and 8i. The dynamic lofts were only 0.7° different and the launch angle was only 0.1° different. The 10 yard gap came from the slower club head speed and slightly higher spin on the 9i. 

The swing plane on the 8i & 9i is drastically different than the rest - either an over the top move or standing to close to the ball are just guesses?

The 7i looks like the oddball, and where the short irons start to get squirrelly, with the biggest yardage Gap from the 6i to the 7i and another leap to the 8i. Are you a tall person playing standard length and standard lie? Or do you have a high wrist to floor?  You seem to hit the 5 & 6 irons just fine but, the rest have a descent angle that is a bit more steep than would seem ideal - reflecting the higher ball flight you originally mentioned. 

The rabbit hole is open...

I was evaluating myself while doing my gapping session and seeing a few things that I could change which could account for the 5 & 6 irons being fine because that's when I started to make more changes. 

I am 5' 10" and wrist to floor is 36". My irons are 1/2" longer than standard length and std lie angle with the reason being I was standing pretty close to the ball during my fitting. I could have been steep but I'm not going to go into much detail and changes here with that. I'm just curious numbers wise. 

I have officially opened pandora's box and we shall see where it goes.

*Edit*

I forgot to answer the ball flight question but it is usually high to the point i never consider rollout. My approach game with my irons is as drop and stop as a 90 yard wedge shot. Unfortunately Whenever there is wind it reeks absolute havoc on me and a 1 club wind I tend to play it as 2.

Edited by ZMendle10

Forum Reviews: 

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

My thoughts as well.  I also think @newballcoachmay be onto something and a your release point may be contributing.  I too tend to be in the high ball flight group and sometimes feel it a detriment on distance.  But then I often hear guys I play with say "damn, I'd give up one to have that ball flight"... even your mid irons drop like a sack of sand on the green. 

I'm currently experimenting with a set of Cobra Forged Tours with Recoil ES460/F4 shafts.  Those are launching slightly higher and I certainly don't want more height.  But then I need to remember they are not as strong lofted - so I'm not sure what I'm seeing/ascertaining... so yea, I'm totally with you on the Pandora's Box 🤪.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

22 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

My thoughts as well.  I also think @newballcoachmay be onto something and a your release point may be contributing.  I too tend to be in the high ball flight group and sometimes feel it a detriment on distance.  But then I often hear guys I play with say "damn, I'd give up one to have that ball flight"... even your mid irons drop like a sack of sand on the green. 

I'm currently experimenting with a set of Cobra Forged Tours with Recoil ES460/F4 shafts.  Those are launching slightly higher and I certainly don't want more height.  But then I need to remember they are not as strong lofted - so I'm not sure what I'm seeing/ascertaining... so yea, I'm totally with you on the Pandora's Box 🤪.

My mid irons have that same effect as well and as much as I enjoy being able to scale towering trees with ease and stopping on the greens with minimal rollout I am in trouble whenever there is even the slightest breeze.

Forum Reviews: 

6 minutes ago, ZMendle10 said:

My mid irons have that same effect as well and as much as I enjoy being able to scale towering trees with ease and stopping on the greens with minimal rollout I am in trouble whenever there is even the slightest breeze.

This is what separates us from the low single digit and pro players - the ability to change swing, stance, grip, whatever and attain ball flights on demand.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

This is what separates us from the low single digit and pro players - the ability to change swing, stance, grip, whatever and attain ball flights on demand.  

At least for me, I don’t change those things. Ball position changes height and I play single ball flight. I don’t think there is a need to do any shaping of shots. Do what you normally do.