Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

C Taper to Modus 3 - Thoughts?

snapply

Hey All,

Was fitted and been gaming the C Taper 130X for 1.5 years now, results have been great - tight dispersion, brought my ball flight down to a more penetrating trajectory, but starting to really despise the feel. When swinging at full power they're great, but whenever trying to hit something at 85% or days when I'm a bit tired, feels like hitting the ball with a steel pole and kills my hands the next day.

In the past week I've been to club champion and a Nippon shaft center and have hit plenty of different shafts. Have narrowed it down to the Modus 120X and the Modus 120TX. Really like the feel of both, would say the 120X feels smoother overall but a bit whippy and afraid that will accentuate misses. 

Any thoughts or recommendations going from C Taper 130X to either the Modus 120X or 120TX?

For context - hit the DG X100 (couldn't feel where the head was during the swing, felt it was lagging behind the shaft), Modus 125, and 130.

Trackman average #s with 6 iron: SS 95 mph, ball speed ~133, spin 5500-6000, carry 190, total 195. Aggressive transition. HCP 5

Thanks golfers!

Mike

Edited by snapply

Many people like the feel of Modus shafts and they are great shafts if they work for you.   Generally people on here could tell you it is  a terrible idea or a great idea;  you need to figure out what is right for you by actually hitting the shaft. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I've hit the full Modus line at two different fitters in the last week and have found they work well for my swing, just am stuck deciding between the two and results are very comparable. 

Was hoping someone had made the shift from C-Tapers (130X) to Modus 120 and could share their experience  - or if there was anyone that had input/comparison on the 120X vs the 120TX.

Edited by snapply

Thoughts?

You and I have a similar game from what you describe. First some background...I started playing Modus 120 stiff shafts this season after decades with nearly every S300/400 and X100 DG l could find.  Two seasons ago I tried the KBS Tour V’s and thought OK, these are good but I’m not all in. 

I later came upon a slew of posts discussing the Modus iron shafts. From then on, my curiosity was piqued. 

There was an overwhelmingly positive and consistent pattern of people trying these shafts and loving their experience.  

For me, they were easily the best feeling iron shaft I’ve ever played.  More importantly, the dispersion has been better than I had hoped.  Combine those and I was sold.  

Take a look through this thread for some additional guidance.  

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I moved to the Modus 120s in my irons and the 130s in my wedges From Project X 6.0 roughly two years ago. I was dealing with some wrist pain and was even looking at graphite as an option. For me, it was at the recommendation of Chip Usher from Usher Golf in Savannah, GA. He was willing, during the build, to start with the wedges and see if I liked the Modus shaft profile. Personally, I had to try the wedges on the course to see how the feel and performance played out. It took me about two rounds to be convinced to transition into the Modus shafts.They were just different and for me, in an exceptional manner. I could have gone with the 120X, but stuck with the 120S and 130S from a feel perspective. I am now hitting the ball in a more consistent manner. Distance for me has increased by roughly 12-15 yds a club and dispersion is tighter than it has been in a very long time. I also have never felt spent after a round. Modus is just smooth for me. 

I think it’s one thing to look at data and another to apply in a game situation. Granted, each fitter/builder is different but if you’re able to play a few times to see how it goes, in my opinion, that’s the ideal feedback. 

Mizuno ST190, 9 degrees, Fujikura Ventus Black 6S

Mizuno ST190, 14 degrees, Fujikura Ventus Black 7S

Mizuno ST200 , 18 degrees, Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X

Miura CB 301, 4 iron, Fujikura Ventus 9x

Miura CB 301, 5-PW Nippon Modus 120S

Miura K Grind, 52, 54 and 58, Nippon Modus 130s  hand ground by Usher Golf

Miura KM 006 LH 

Appreciate all the input - you guys definitely know your stuff and gave me a lot to think about. 

As far as KBS, unfortunately wasn't able to hit the Tour V, but wasnt a fan of C-Taper Lite. Since playing and getting used to the weight of 130g shafts, the I've learned to appreciate the extra weight and the Lite maxing out at 115g in X didnt give that same feeling and stability I've got accustomed to holding the club.

After talking more with the fitter, and with the profile of the 120 series playing softer through the mid, I think 120TX might be the ticket. The TX is 126g and more stable than the X, feels smoother than the c taper 130x, but still provides that Nippon buttery feel that I felt the first time I hit the 120 shaft. Pretty wild that the 120 is such a love/hate shaft.

Going to pull the trigger and taking them straight to a guys golf weekend. If it goes poorly, fitter will take them back and swap the c-tapers back in.