Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Your Putting Grip?

fixyurdivot

Putting Grip  

18 members have voted

1. 1. What Putting Grip Do You Currently Use?

• Traditional
    • Reverse Hand (Left Hand Low)
    • Claw
    • Palm to Palm
    • Split Hand

I've just recently started experimenting with the left hand low putting grip.  I've used the traditional grip for my whole golfing career. Thus far, I think it is helping just a little but, being that I haven't really committed to it and spent lots of time using it, too early to know for sure.  It definitely feels awkward and I never feel like I'm holding the putter the same each time.  Over the years with the traditional grip, I have tried choking down, using all of the shaft length, and right index finger down the shaft (ala Koepka).

My putting is average at best and it's a part of the game I'm trying to improve.

What grips have you experimented with and which have you settled on as your most reliable?

Conventional/Traditional

TraditionalFront-768x1024.jpg

Cross-Handed (Reverse)

ReverseFront-768x1024.jpg

Claw

ClawSide-768x1024.jpg

Palm to Palm

PalmtoPalmSide-768x1024.jpg

Split Hand

SplitSide-768x1024.jpg

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Always played a traditional grip, never really have thought of changing it either. Though I do have a super stroke grips to halo steady the wrists.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

1 hour ago, ejgaudette said:

Always played a traditional grip, never really have thought of changing it either. Though I do have a super stroke grips to halo steady the wrists.

I have the standard/original grip that came with my PING putter.  I figured if El Tigre could make it work, I could 🙂.  I tested some new putters last winter season in Yuma and a couple had the jumbo size grips.  They didn't feel too bad.  It will interesting to see what putter changes they suggest as part of my forthcoming bag fitting.

Traditional just makes sense for me.  What’s helped me more over the last few years was a smaller pistol grip to feel the head. I tried a SS 3.0 and initially loved it. Once the honeymoon wore off I had lost feel of the head and returned to typical putting struggles. 

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I recently changed from left hand low to a palm to palm.  Along with some alignment drills I am putting better but still need distance control work mostly because of adjusting to green speed differences.

When I used LHL I didn't like my distance control on 20' and longer putts so I would use traditional for those lengths.  But I did like the way I could keep the ball on line on all putts.  I am hoping I can grow into good lines and good distance control with the palm to palm.

I have larger grips on some putters and pistol grips on others and my performance is about the same for either style.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

Traditional. I've tried left hand low and I could never find a way that felt comfortable. I also dabbled with the claw for a season and feel like it was great for 10 -15 feet and in, but my lag putting was terrible. I even went so far as to use the claw on shorter putts and switch to traditional for longer putts. After I switched to an oversized grip, traditional feels most comfortable.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

1 hour ago, Shapotomous said:

When I used LHL I didn't like my distance control on 20' and longer putts so I would use traditional for those lengths.

Still too early to tell, but that's the trend I'm seeing as well.  Not as much improvement on long lags as shorter putts. I'm not thinking that switching back and forth between grips is a good approach.... but maybe?? 

I have used a grip where both index fingers went straight down the shaft. Been doing it that way for years along with having a very open stance. Been reading Dave Peltz's Putting Bible and this winter I will be making a major change to traditional grip and a square stance. I'm hoping this will help my putting next season.

Chris

Far and Sure......

:callaway-small:          GBB Epic  11*             

:callaway-small:               GBB Epic 7W (Heavenwood)

:ping-small::             G410 4 thru GW

:callaway-logo-1:   MD3 54*,60*                                                         

:cleveland-small:         Huntington Beach Soft #4

:bridgestone-small:   Tour B RX

• 2 weeks later...

I started out going traditional, but I am left handed playing right handed so it always felt more natural once I tried right hand low. I agree, however that lag putting is more difficult because it feels more forced than a traditional grip. 

One of the guys I always play with just says "lag it on up there" on a putt of any length, so who truly knows? 🧠

Just now, Crowev01 said:

I started out going traditional, but I am left handed playing right handed so it always felt more natural once I tried right hand low. I agree, however that lag putting is more difficult because it feels more forced than a traditional grip. 

One of the guys I always play with just says "lag it on up there" on a putt of any length, so who truly knows? 🧠

I meant left hand low. Maybe this is the problem? 👀 

Titleist 975J

Callaway Hawkeye 3 Wood

Ben Hogan CFT Hybrid, Apex Plus Irons

Cleveland 588 Wedges

Scotty Newport 2 Mid Slant Pro Platinum

On 10/1/2020 at 5:01 AM, bens197 said:

Traditional just makes sense for me.  What’s helped me more over the last few years was a smaller pistol grip to feel the head. I tried a SS 3.0 and initially loved it. Once the honeymoon wore off I had lost feel of the head and returned to typical putting struggles. 

... If you use your grip to hold the club and have zero wrist movement, a traditional grip will always be best. Although there is room in the discussion for a lead hand low. But almost all other grips are simply band aids to stop flipping/yipping/throwing the grip/putter head through impact. Whether you rock your shoulders, pendulum swing your arms/hands again with no wrist movement there is no need for an alternative grip. And I have always been in your camp Bens, using a skinny pistol grip that I find provides maximum feel. Once I found the Lamkin SINKFIT Skinny Pistol putter grip I can't imagine ever using another grip. The size is perfect, the Genesis Fingerprint Technology produces a secure grip without feeling tacky. Just a little larger than the classic Ping pistol grip but the same shape, it is ideal for those that have used that grip or a variation of it.

https://www.lamkingrips.com/shop/sink-fit-rubber-skinny-pistol-rubber/

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

41 minutes ago, chisag said:

... If you use your grip to hold the club and have zero wrist movement, a traditional grip will always be best. Although there is room in the discussion for a lead hand low. But almost all other grips are simply band aids to stop flipping/yipping/throwing the grip/putter head through impact. Whether you rock your shoulders, pendulum swing your arms/hands again with no wrist movement there is no need for an alternative grip. And I have always been in your camp Bens, using a skinny pistol grip that I find provides maximum feel. Once I found the Lamkin SINKFIT Skinny Pistol putter grip I can't imagine ever using another grip. The size is perfect, the Genesis Fingerprint Technology produces a secure grip without feeling tacky. Just a little larger than the classic Ping pistol grip but the same shape, it is ideal for those that have used that grip or a variation of it.

That looks like a spicy version of the traditional PING grip (very similar shape).  Interesting points about all the "optional" grips being band aides.  For fun, I've been paying particular attention to both the main and Champion Tour players putting styles/grips.... they are all over the place.  This was an interesting article which looked at last years Top 70 FedEx field.  Nearly 7/10 use the traditional so I think that says something.

https://golf.com/instruction/putting/which-putting-grip-is-best-for-you/

1 hour ago, chisag said:

Sam I completely agree and those skinny’s are awesome. Super strokes made sense for a period of time and as I understand the why of my putting, the small pistol is truly best for me. 

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/