Testers Wanted! AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Honeymoon period

doctorgriffo

I seem to have a pattern of behavior that may well be common out there - I test out new putters and find a “magic wand” that holes everything at a demo day, or on the practice green. It goes in the bag, and seems to work really well for a while, but it doesn’t take long for me to second-guess performance (and things like Arccos aren’t great with putting stats, only measuring the length of the 1st putt, but suggest any uptick in overall performance is negligible). I invariably start trying out old putters and replace the magic wand with one of the others and have a revolving spot in the bag. One might be great for lags and long range, others for those ticklish Sloan-up putts, but I’ve never had a putter that has earned a long-term spot (and I’ve had fittings and tons of tips from very good players/teaching pros). I’m a good but not great putter, and am so jealous of playing partners who make a ton more 8-12 footers that I always seem to fail to convert.

Does this sound familiar? If you have found that putter that has stayed in the bag long-term, how did you identify that it was “the one”?

Edited by doctorgriffo
typo

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9deg, 15 deg tensei av blue x flex

Cobra F9 hybrid 17deg, 24 deg

Mizuno MP20 (6,7,8 MMC, 9,PW MB)

Callaway MD4 50, 54, 58

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback 2

Data, it is the only way. I switched putters in July and have received multiple comments on how my putting has improved. Which I believed because I too thought it was an improvement. But my scores were slightly higher than what I was expecting so after 20 or so rounds I went and look at my SG #'s. I was 3 putting less however my make rate was way down. I was actually averaging 1.5 strokes higher putting than with the previous putter. Without the data I would have never thought that was happening. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

As you are learning every putter is slightly different with feels and ball speed control.   If I were fitting a putter I would look for the putter that you were able to control speed and line.    Anything beyond that is out of your control.     How may 8-12 footers do you expect to be holing? keep in mind that 8 feet is the 50% mark for the PGA tour level players

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I’ve been playing for 35 years now - now I have a few more resources than when I was a kid I can be sucked into impulse purchases compared to when I had to make do with whatever I could get my hands on, which makes the frequent switching more possible. I’ve never found something that does it all - I used a Rossa Monza spider for a good while (probably the longest in recent times) and it was awesome for 5-6 footers, but had to be because I really struggled with long putts with it and this often left a lot of cleaning up to be done. The one in the bag right now (odyssey double wide) is great at lagging/speed control but shakier from closer range. I picked up a cheap, used Ping sigma Tess a few years back because it reminded me of my favorite putter as a kid (an 80s knock-off) and I holed everything for about a month then started missing from close in, so into the garage it went....

The thing about those 8-10 footers is probably emotional - they are usually for birdie or a sand save, so you remember missing them. And my regular playing partner sprays it all over the place then pours in putts and it drives me nuts. The strokes gained analysis on Arccos says my weakest putting distance is 10-25ft. The dream scenario is to find something that, as you say, is good with speed and distance on longer puts and feels super-solid inside 10ft. I haven’t found anything that sustainably ticks both boxes.

Callaway MD4 50, 54, 58

I've used the same putter for almost 20 years, and can't seem to decide if it's time for a switch, I think it is, but not sure. I have been more inconsistent lately with my putting than I have ever been, and feel like my speed control has been the big issue. Could be that it's all in my head at this point. 

Driver: :titelist-small: TS3 9.5, Project X Hzrdus Smoke 6.0, +4 gram Surefit Weight

5-Wood: :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero, Project X Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 818 H1 19 Degree Tensei Red 70HY Stiff Flex

Irons: 4-PW :titelist-small: 718 AP3 Project X LZ 120gr 6.0 Shaft

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM6 52.12 F Grind, :vokey-small: SM7 48.10 F grind and 56.08 M Grind

Putter: :ping-small: B60

• 2 weeks later...

I remember reading in one book (maybe Hank Haney's book about Tiger Woods, can't exactly remember) he talked about having putter yips, and that any change was beneficial to your game. He believed that any change to your grip was beneficial and that's why players often switch it up. I tend to agree. Seems like when you try a new putter, grip, etc. you drain everything. It frees up your mind.

I'm a hockey player playing golf today.
TSR3, Ventus Blue Velocore 7X
JPX 921 Tour Irons
Evnroll EV5.1
ProV1x

4 minutes ago, gman8966 said:

I remember reading in one book (maybe Hank Haney's book about Tiger Woods, can't exactly remember) he talked about having putter yips, and that any change was beneficial to your game. He believed that any change to your grip was beneficial and that's why players often switch it up. I tend to agree. Seems like when you try a new putter, grip, etc. you drain everything. It frees up your mind.

The mind is a powerful thing. If you can stop concentrating on swing or ball alignment marks or .... and let your brain do what comes naturally you'll be amazed at the results. I always tried to think about hitting the right pace on a putt,  I now look at the line pick my spot have a look at the lay of the land wrt to the spot  take a few feely swings align the putter and swing. My brain works out the pace 95% of the time pretty good, if I get distracted in my final prep with "get it to the hole" or "this is fast be careful" I inevitably misjudge the pace.

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

This is a great topic.

I have 10 putters by my desk at home.  I have been changing way to much.  This is evidence of the psychology of having to many options.  There is a sweet spot for where having some options is good, but having to much actually creates doubt, even with all the data from Arccos, or a fitting.  There is always the doubt. 

I am currently trying to give myself only 2 or 3 options.  I of course will keep all the others.... I can't let them go....  BUT, I am going to setup 2 or 3 that each have some distinct qualitys.  One center shafted, one anser style, and one heel blade. 

Of course, what I should do, is make my wife pick one, and have her hide the rest.  That way, I will be forced to work through the challenges, and PRACTICE.

On another topic, I just bought an old Seemore on E-Bay.... 

Like you, I watched I guy I played with yesterday make EVERYTHING with one.  Oh well.... here we go again.

Here is a question that might tell you where you mind and most confidence is:  If you were invited to go to Augusta or Pebble Beach tomorrow, and had 10 minutes to pack, which putter is going in your bag for the trip?

A good Golfer is someone who loves the game and all that comes with it.  A good Player is someone who can score.

Not all players are good golfers.  Be a good Golfer.

• Driver - Taylormade TSi 3
  • 3W - Titlest 917 F
  • 3H - Taylormade Sim2 19.5
  • 4H - Taylormade Sim2 22.5
  • 5-P - In Transition
  • 50/54/58 - Titlest SM 8
  • Putter(s) - Ping Vault Voss / Ping Milled Anser / Odyssey Tour Black series #8 / Ping Vault 2 B60 / Scotty Cameraon Newport 2 Button Back  (I HAVE ISSUES WITH PUTTERS!!!!!)

On 10/25/2020 at 8:17 PM, Stopher said:

This is a great topic.

I have 10 putters by my desk at home.  I have been changing way to much.  This is evidence of the psychology of having to many options.  There is a sweet spot for where having some options is good, but having to much actually creates doubt, even with all the data from Arccos, or a fitting.  There is always the doubt. 

I am currently trying to give myself only 2 or 3 options.  I of course will keep all the others.... I can't let them go....  BUT, I am going to setup 2 or 3 that each have some distinct qualitys.  One center shafted, one anser style, and one heel blade. 

Of course, what I should do, is make my wife pick one, and have her hide the rest.  That way, I will be forced to work through the challenges, and PRACTICE.

On another topic, I just bought an old Seemore on E-Bay.... 

Like you, I watched I guy I played with yesterday make EVERYTHING with one.  Oh well.... here we go again.

Here is a question that might tell you where you mind and most confidence is:  If you were invited to go to Augusta or Pebble Beach tomorrow, and had 10 minutes to pack, which putter is going in your bag for the trip?

I live 2 minutes from Pebble Beach Links and have been fortunate enough to play it a handful of times, and have never used the same putter twice...

Callaway MD4 50, 54, 58

People switch putters because they want a new feel and in the short run you will see a honeymoon period unless the putter works with your stroke. It has been shown that people will initially perform better with a new putter especially face balanced. As the natural tendencies emerge the putter stops working. Find a putter that fits you visual and setup requirements.

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I have had 6 putters in my 28 years playing golf.  Three of those I used for my first 15 years, and I was a horrible putter with all of them.  My pro said I had "hands of stone".  It didn't matter what putter I used, they all felt like I was holding a snake.  I found a Heavy Putter in a used putter bin at Golfsmith and it smoothed out my stroke. I used it for 5 years with pretty good success.  So then I only looked at putters with heavier heads.  I was a MGS tester for a Nike Method putter that was OK.  Used it for a year, but I gave it up to my wife who loves it.  In 2017 I was fitted at Ping HQ.  Using the Ping App and their putter, I rolled 5 balls in a row into the cup from 7 feet.  Ordered it.  This will be my last putter.  I don't even stop at the putter section of a golf store to look anymore.  What for?

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

17 hours ago, doctorgriffo said:

I live 2 minutes from Pebble Beach Links and have been fortunate enough to play it a handful of times, and have never used the same putter twice...

That’s awesome. I’ve played it twice. 11 years apart, so definitely not the same putter. It’s a great experience. 

A good Golfer is someone who loves the game and all that comes with it.  A good Player is someone who can score.

Not all players are good golfers.  Be a good Golfer.

• Driver - Taylormade TSi 3
  • 3W - Titlest 917 F
  • 3H - Taylormade Sim2 19.5
  • 4H - Taylormade Sim2 22.5
  • 5-P - In Transition
  • 50/54/58 - Titlest SM 8
  • Putter(s) - Ping Vault Voss / Ping Milled Anser / Odyssey Tour Black series #8 / Ping Vault 2 B60 / Scotty Cameraon Newport 2 Button Back  (I HAVE ISSUES WITH PUTTERS!!!!!)

On 10/23/2020 at 5:03 PM, Alf. S said:

The mind is a powerful thing. If you can stop concentrating on swing or ball alignment marks or .... and let your brain do what comes naturally you'll be amazed at the results. I always tried to think about hitting the right pace on a putt,  I now look at the line pick my spot have a look at the lay of the land wrt to the spot  take a few feely swings align the putter and swing. My brain works out the pace 95% of the time pretty good, if I get distracted in my final prep with "get it to the hole" or "this is fast be careful" I inevitably misjudge the pace.

This was one of the big thing in one of Bob Rotella's books on the mental side of golf. He says just grab a ball and toss it to the whole, no real thinking in it and you generally in the right ballpark. Thus most people have more feel than they give themselves credit for. He advocates trying to see and react to the putt without thinking like you mention. I find it does hold up when I pick the link, couple swings for feel, and then just hit it those are the best results. The longer the routine the worse the putt generally.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

This was one of the big thing in one of Bob Rotella's books on the mental side of golf. He says just grab a ball and toss it to the whole, no real thinking in it and you generally in the right ballpark. Thus most people have more feel than they give themselves credit for. He advocates trying to see and react to the putt without thinking like you mention. I find it does hold up when I pick the link, couple swings for feel, and then just hit it those are the best results. The longer the routine the worse the putt generally.

The one quote I remember from Rosella is “your brain does know the word don’t” I.e if you think “don’t put it in the water” your brain translates you want to put it in the water. When I reflect back this seems to be so true.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

52 minutes ago, Alf. S said:

The one quote I remember from Rosella is “your brain does know the word don’t” I.e if you think “don’t put it in the water” your brain translates you want to put it in the water. When I reflect back this seems to be so true.

So true, the mind has a habit of producing what you think, good or bad.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

6 hours ago, Alf. S said:

I just listened to the "How's My Hand Path" podcast episode 43 with Dr. Bhrett McCabe who has an interesting and opposite view to this.

In summary: How is "don't" the only word in our vocabulary the mind doesn't understand? There are other mental aspects at play... Otherwise just tell yourself don't make this putt or don't hit this drive down the fairway and see how it works. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

On 10/23/2020 at 3:03 PM, Alf. S said:

This! So when several pros were asked about what they think about during their swing or when having the yips, they almost all responded "never mechanics, just having a good tempo." So I tried that out with my putter.

I bought an aluminium yardstick and practiced just creating a smooth swing that went from one end of the yardstick to the other without falling off the sides. That gave me confidence that I'll hit my putts straight. And so now on the course all i think about is having a smooth tempo and my mind takes the wheel for me and tells my body what to do. 

New putters are great, but they're really just an enhancement tool for fundamentals. It's far more important to get the fundamentals and the mental aspects right so that your stroke is consistent and most importantly CONFIDENT. 

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, doctorgriffo said:

Just started a new relationship - back in the honeymoon phase...

98D9945C-87B5-46DC-8CBA-26A18986CD35.jpeg

E99BBC37-C064-4E4E-9DEF-063500D189FD.jpeg

Awesome putter. I agree that honeymoon phases are nice with clubs. I’m sticking with my latest since I customized my initials in it on the face haha. I am going to put more emphasis on practicing since I finally have the right putter for my natural stroke. 

Driver: :titelist-small: TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X

Fairway: :titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 Ventus Blue 8X 

Hybrid:  :taylormade-small: Sim 2 - 19 Hybrid Tensei Orange 90TX

Irons:  :taylormade-small: P790 4-5 P7MC Raw 6-PW MMT 125TX

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM8 50.10F, 54.10S - X100 & 58.04T S400

Putter: Lajosi DD201

:titelist-small: Pro V1X Left Dash

I'm a sucker for snake oil. worst of all I hate spending money that ends up not working, But who doesn't like going on honeymoons and showing up to the course with a new toy haha 

Driver: Taylormade Sim 2 Max

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Max

Driving Iron: Titleist u510

Hybrid: Taylormade Gapr

Irons: Taylormade P760

Wedges: Vokey Jet Black 52/56/60

Putter: Taylormade Spider X

Ball: ProV1x

On 12/15/2020 at 8:15 PM, doctorgriffo said:

Just started a new relationship - back in the honeymoon phase...

Hey I just started the same relationship, phenomenal. 

I have always wanted Tiger Woods putter, I tried a Newport dozens of times over the last 10 years. Love the plumbers neck.

Really loved to stroke them, but they seemed to require extra practice, extra precision, and I do not feel confident controlling the face.

My miss rate with the Newport 2 seems very high with pushes and pulls, combined occasionally with slightly missed sweet spot towards the toe.

So I was really excited to try out the squareback 2, Scotty proclaims for the player who wants a little bit more forgiveness in a Newport, I was able to compare the Newport 2, head-to-head on the carpet at the PGA superstore for several hours, absolutely fell in love with the square back 2 so much easier to set up square and aligned to my target. I seem to find the sweet spot 95% of the time. 51 putts inside the number two ring, only one toe hit, on the Pelz tape. The lighter marks are from dragging balls at set up. It just looks like a more comfortable Newport, and it is.

After reading 10 webpages on putter fitting / buying your new putter.... there is three fundamentals that create a long honeymoon as far as I can tell.  Of course there are several more subtle things you can consider, that can help the following, like grip size, loft, weight, so on…

1. When you set up to a ten footer does the putter face point naturally at your target line. Can you aim the putter at your target consistently & easily? Most people are shocked when the laser points 5 inches left or right of the target line. Certain putters fit your eye and your alignment. Length and lie angle of are important.
  2. Now that your aligned with your target, can you start the ball on the target line within the first 24 inches?
  3. Can you repeat the same stroke reasonably well 10 times in a row. 

You have now found a long-term relationship.

SQBK2.jpg

52 15 ft putts SCSQBK2.jpg

Callaway Apex Pro 21 (5-AW)

Callaway Mavrik Driver

Cobra Speed Zone

Callaway Mavrik 5 Wood

Cleveland RTX zipcore sand wedge

Odyssey Rossie White Hot OG Putter 

Nicely done Taser, now go do it on the course......

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Been using it for a month or so now, after a 2h putting lesson just before thanksgiving. It revealed the choice to either rebuild my grip and posture or try to find a putter to cover up technical flaws. I decided to do the long-term fix, and the squareback fits the new setup. So far, so good - I use a gate and putting mirror to practice starting the ball on line for 8 footers, and interestingly I always slightly pull my “warm up” putts before getting into a groove. I bought a putting fork pro that fits easily in my bag and I throw it on the practice green before I play to work through the pulls before I start (or I just stick two tees in the ground about 2ft in front of me to act as a gate). This has made a huge difference to my putting inside 10ft (combo of lesson, new putter and proper practice). 
I got an exputt sim for Xmas, and it has been really interesting - it confirmed my tendency to come a little out to in with the face a little open if I don’t get ball position and stance distance from the ball right (the left miss). It also showed I consistently swing the putter in to out with the face a little open on long putts (the face and path match - I just push it). Hitting some right-hand only putts gets me feeling a better release of the putter head, and has really helped in keeping those longer putts on line (feeling the head release through impact).

Now I just need to fix my Magoo-like green reading...

Callaway MD4 50, 54, 58

21 hours ago, fozcycle said:

Nicely done Taser, now go do it on the course......

yeah that is what all the practice is for....  Speed control ,  now that I can hit the ball on the center of the putter face,  but can I roll it 17 inches past the hole, on a good line?  I now have better odds for successfully making a putt.

I just picked up a Brad faxon speed drill.   Which I tried yesterday.  on the practice greens.

He says find a 10 foot breaking putt with about 12-16"  of break.

He says putt three or four times until you clearly can find the apex by making the putt, and put a tee at the apex.

Then for speed control practice.... make that exact same putt, but you have to make one putt above the tee by hitting a slower putt with a 

higher arc, and then you have to make one putt below the tee by hitting a faster putt on a lower arcing putt.

Pretty fun do not go home until can do it. gives you a good sense trying to control your speed for the chosen line.

So all the sudden you have the skill in your bag putt a low-speed putt on a high arc, medium speed putt on a medium arc, and a fast putt on a low arc and make all three of them. 

Callaway Mavrik Driver

Cobra Speed Zone

Callaway Mavrik 5 Wood

12 hours ago, doctorgriffo said:

Been using it for a month or so now, after a 2h putting lesson just before thanksgiving. It revealed the choice to either rebuild my grip and posture or try to find a putter to cover up technical flaws. I decided to do the long-term fix, and the squareback fits the new setup. So far, so good - I use a gate and putting mirror to practice starting the ball on line for 8 footers, and interestingly I always slightly pull my “warm up” putts before getting into a groove. I bought a putting fork pro that fits easily in my bag and I throw it on the practice green before I play to work through the pulls before I start (or I just stick two tees in the ground about 2ft in front of me to act as a gate). This has made a huge difference to my putting inside 10ft (combo of lesson, new putter and proper practice). 
I got an exputt sim for Xmas, and it has been really interesting - it confirmed my tendency to come a little out to in with the face a little open if I don’t get ball position and stance distance from the ball right (the left miss). It also showed I consistently swing the putter in to out with the face a little open on long putts (the face and path match - I just push it). Hitting some right-hand only putts gets me feeling a better release of the putter head, and has really helped in keeping those longer putts on line (feeling the head release through impact).

Now I just need to fix my Magoo-like green reading...

Yeah I think practice warm up putts are dialing in your grip pressure, once you get relaxed they start going straight.

I was very close to buying one of those ex putts, I am just not convinced they are accurate enough, they look pretty cool, but I thought that the surface itself looked like it was not pure or perfectly flat. But I have not seen one in person. I think for stroke analysis you need some what of a perfect surface. Since it is analyzing the final position of the ball traveled over a questionable surface.  

What is your opinion of the lumpiness of the surface?

Callaway Mavrik Driver

Cobra Speed Zone

Callaway Mavrik 5 Wood

6 hours ago, Taserface said:

Yeah I think practice warm up putts are dialing in your grip pressure, once you get relaxed they start going straight.

I was very close to buying one of those ex putts, I am just not convinced they are accurate enough, they look pretty cool, but I thought that the surface itself looked like it was not pure or perfectly flat. But I have not seen one in person. I think for stroke analysis you need some what of a perfect surface. Since it is analyzing the final position of the ball traveled over a questionable surface.  

The surface is totally smooth and rolls well. It seems to give pretty good data, though I have only been using in for less than a week.

Callaway MD4 50, 54, 58

9 hours ago, Taserface said:

I was one of the MGS reviewers for the ExPutt; not sure it you have read the review thread but it may give you some information.   From what I observed the data is accurate from a speed and face angle perspective with the only question being on putts under 5 feet.  The surface is as flat as the surface you put it on.  It isn't analyzing the final position of the ball,  the camera reads the putter head, ball speed, and ball direction and is independent of the final position.  Unless you have 50' of available space to putt,  it is the best tool to learn how to control speed.  While the ExPutt does a good job on face angle,  I also use gates and rulers to check and get additional feedback.    

• 4 weeks later...

I am still in the Honeymoon period with my putter and current gamer.  It is a 2014 Byron Morgan Epic Day custom putter.  The putter has performed as well as I could have hoped and still performs like day 1.

Epic Day 3.jpg

Epic Day 4.jpg

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 50°/ 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

SW:  Callaway MD5 Jaws 54°, TT DG Tour Issue S200 115g wedge shaft

Putter: Byron Morgan DH89 GSS custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips: BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on