Honeymoon period

doctorgriffo

I'm a sucker for snake oil. worst of all I hate spending money that ends up not working, But who doesn't like going on honeymoons and showing up to the course with a new toy haha 

• Like 1

Driver: Taylormade Sim 2 Max

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Max

Driving Iron: Titleist u510

Hybrid: Taylormade Gapr

Irons: Taylormade P760

Wedges: Vokey Jet Black 52/56/60

Putter: Taylormade Spider X

Ball: ProV1x

On 12/15/2020 at 8:15 PM, doctorgriffo said:

Just started a new relationship - back in the honeymoon phase...

Hey I just started the same relationship, phenomenal. 

I have always wanted Tiger Woods putter, I tried a Newport dozens of times over the last 10 years. Love the plumbers neck.

Really loved to stroke them, but they seemed to require extra practice, extra precision, and I do not feel confident controlling the face.

My miss rate with the Newport 2 seems very high with pushes and pulls, combined occasionally with slightly missed sweet spot towards the toe.

So I was really excited to try out the squareback 2, Scotty proclaims for the player who wants a little bit more forgiveness in a Newport, I was able to compare the Newport 2, head-to-head on the carpet at the PGA superstore for several hours, absolutely fell in love with the square back 2 so much easier to set up square and aligned to my target. I seem to find the sweet spot 95% of the time. 51 putts inside the number two ring, only one toe hit, on the Pelz tape. The lighter marks are from dragging balls at set up. It just looks like a more comfortable Newport, and it is.

After reading 10 webpages on putter fitting / buying your new putter.... there is three fundamentals that create a long honeymoon as far as I can tell.  Of course there are several more subtle things you can consider, that can help the following, like grip size, loft, weight, so on…

1. When you set up to a ten footer does the putter face point naturally at your target line. Can you aim the putter at your target consistently & easily? Most people are shocked when the laser points 5 inches left or right of the target line. Certain putters fit your eye and your alignment. Length and lie angle of are important.
  2. Now that your aligned with your target, can you start the ball on the target line within the first 24 inches?
  3. Can you repeat the same stroke reasonably well 10 times in a row. 

You have now found a long-term relationship.

SQBK2.jpg

52 15 ft putts SCSQBK2.jpg

• Like 3

Callaway Apex Pro 21 (5-AW)

Callaway Mavrik Driver

Cobra Speed Zone

Callaway Mavrik 5 Wood

Cleveland RTX zipcore sand wedge

Odyssey Rossie White Hot OG Putter 

Nicely done Taser, now go do it on the course......

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: PXG 0211 w/Evenflo Riptide CB Regular shaft or Wilson Staff Triton w/Paderson IMRTx regular shaft

Fairways:  Cobra King F8 5W w/Mitsubishi Tense ck Blue regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: Ben Hogan VKTR 3 Hybrid(18*)w/Recoil ES regular shaft and Tour Edge CBX119 4 Hybrid(22*) w/Project X Evenflo

Irons: Ben Hogan Ptx 5-PW w/Recoil 660 Regular graphite shafts 

Wedges: Ben Hogan Tkt-15 (49*/53*/57*) w/Recoil 660 Regular shafts 

Putter: 33”  Evnroll ER2 w/Evnroll Gravity Grip 

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black). 

Ball: Maxfli Tour CG & Titleist Pro V1x.

Using Shot Scope V3 and MG4000 Rangefinder

Been using it for a month or so now, after a 2h putting lesson just before thanksgiving. It revealed the choice to either rebuild my grip and posture or try to find a putter to cover up technical flaws. I decided to do the long-term fix, and the squareback fits the new setup. So far, so good - I use a gate and putting mirror to practice starting the ball on line for 8 footers, and interestingly I always slightly pull my “warm up” putts before getting into a groove. I bought a putting fork pro that fits easily in my bag and I throw it on the practice green before I play to work through the pulls before I start (or I just stick two tees in the ground about 2ft in front of me to act as a gate). This has made a huge difference to my putting inside 10ft (combo of lesson, new putter and proper practice). 
I got an exputt sim for Xmas, and it has been really interesting - it confirmed my tendency to come a little out to in with the face a little open if I don’t get ball position and stance distance from the ball right (the left miss). It also showed I consistently swing the putter in to out with the face a little open on long putts (the face and path match - I just push it). Hitting some right-hand only putts gets me feeling a better release of the putter head, and has really helped in keeping those longer putts on line (feeling the head release through impact).

Now I just need to fix my Magoo-like green reading...

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9deg, 15 deg tensei av blue x flex

Cobra F9 hybrid 17deg, 24 deg

Mizuno MP20 (6,7,8 MMC, 9,PW MB)

Callaway MD4 50, 54, 58

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback 2

21 hours ago, fozcycle said:

Nicely done Taser, now go do it on the course......

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

yeah that is what all the practice is for....  Speed control ,  now that I can hit the ball on the center of the putter face,  but can I roll it 17 inches past the hole, on a good line?  I now have better odds for successfully making a putt.

I just picked up a Brad faxon speed drill.   Which I tried yesterday.  on the practice greens.

He says find a 10 foot breaking putt with about 12-16"  of break.

He says putt three or four times until you clearly can find the apex by making the putt, and put a tee at the apex.

Then for speed control practice.... make that exact same putt, but you have to make one putt above the tee by hitting a slower putt with a 

higher arc, and then you have to make one putt below the tee by hitting a faster putt on a lower arcing putt.

Pretty fun do not go home until can do it. gives you a good sense trying to control your speed for the chosen line.

So all the sudden you have the skill in your bag putt a low-speed putt on a high arc, medium speed putt on a medium arc, and a fast putt on a low arc and make all three of them. 

Callaway Mavrik Driver

Cobra Speed Zone

Callaway Mavrik 5 Wood

12 hours ago, doctorgriffo said:

Been using it for a month or so now, after a 2h putting lesson just before thanksgiving. It revealed the choice to either rebuild my grip and posture or try to find a putter to cover up technical flaws. I decided to do the long-term fix, and the squareback fits the new setup. So far, so good - I use a gate and putting mirror to practice starting the ball on line for 8 footers, and interestingly I always slightly pull my “warm up” putts before getting into a groove. I bought a putting fork pro that fits easily in my bag and I throw it on the practice green before I play to work through the pulls before I start (or I just stick two tees in the ground about 2ft in front of me to act as a gate). This has made a huge difference to my putting inside 10ft (combo of lesson, new putter and proper practice). 
I got an exputt sim for Xmas, and it has been really interesting - it confirmed my tendency to come a little out to in with the face a little open if I don’t get ball position and stance distance from the ball right (the left miss). It also showed I consistently swing the putter in to out with the face a little open on long putts (the face and path match - I just push it). Hitting some right-hand only putts gets me feeling a better release of the putter head, and has really helped in keeping those longer putts on line (feeling the head release through impact).

Now I just need to fix my Magoo-like green reading...

Yeah I think practice warm up putts are dialing in your grip pressure, once you get relaxed they start going straight.

I was very close to buying one of those ex putts, I am just not convinced they are accurate enough, they look pretty cool, but I thought that the surface itself looked like it was not pure or perfectly flat. But I have not seen one in person. I think for stroke analysis you need some what of a perfect surface. Since it is analyzing the final position of the ball traveled over a questionable surface.  

What is your opinion of the lumpiness of the surface?

Callaway Mavrik Driver

Cobra Speed Zone

Callaway Mavrik 5 Wood

6 hours ago, Taserface said:

Yeah I think practice warm up putts are dialing in your grip pressure, once you get relaxed they start going straight.

I was very close to buying one of those ex putts, I am just not convinced they are accurate enough, they look pretty cool, but I thought that the surface itself looked like it was not pure or perfectly flat. But I have not seen one in person. I think for stroke analysis you need some what of a perfect surface. Since it is analyzing the final position of the ball traveled over a questionable surface.  

The surface is totally smooth and rolls well. It seems to give pretty good data, though I have only been using in for less than a week.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9deg, 15 deg tensei av blue x flex

Cobra F9 hybrid 17deg, 24 deg

Mizuno MP20 (6,7,8 MMC, 9,PW MB)

Callaway MD4 50, 54, 58

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback 2

9 hours ago, Taserface said:

I was one of the MGS reviewers for the ExPutt; not sure it you have read the review thread but it may give you some information.   From what I observed the data is accurate from a speed and face angle perspective with the only question being on putts under 5 feet.  The surface is as flat as the surface you put it on.  It isn't analyzing the final position of the ball,  the camera reads the putter head, ball speed, and ball direction and is independent of the final position.  Unless you have 50' of available space to putt,  it is the best tool to learn how to control speed.  While the ExPutt does a good job on face angle,  I also use gates and rulers to check and get additional feedback.    

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 5-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter: Auditions ongoing 

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787, :seemore-small: mFGP2, logo-horizontal-black.svg Directed Force 2.1

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

I am still in the Honeymoon period with my putter and current gamer.  It is a 2014 Byron Morgan Epic Day custom putter.  The putter has performed as well as I could have hoped and still performs like day 1.

Epic Day 3.jpg

Epic Day 4.jpg

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Ben Hogan Icon blades 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 50°/ 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

SW:  Callaway MD5 Jaws 54°, TT DG Tour Issue S200 115g wedge shaft

Putter: Byron Morgan DH89 GSS custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips: BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on