TESTERS WANTED! ×

Limits on How Many Good Balls To Lose

Ronoc

It's been a while since I have been on here but the excitement of my first legit round of golf later today got the juices flowing!

With that in mind, and as I prepped my bag for today's round, I began to think of what balls I would play, how many to bring, etc. After becoming a MGS fan/follower I have tried to stick to the idea of playing the same ball all the time. HOWEVER, that usually means playing a better ball. So my question is, do you have a limit to how many 'good' balls you lose until you switch to a cheaper/lesser ball? Sometimes Its just not a good day and I don't feel like losing yet another good ball and just switch over to a Nike Mojo haha.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M2 D-Type, 9.5 degrees, (Stiff flex) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grip)

3/4W -  :cobra-small: King F6 Black 3-4 Wood (Stiff flex) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grip)

4H -  :callaway-small: Rogue (Stiff flex) (Stock grip) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grip)

4-AW -  :callaway-small: Steelhead XR Irons (Stiff flex) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grips, 7i with Winn Dri-Tac X Grip) 

SW -  :callaway-small: 56* X-Wedge

60* -  :callaway-small: MD4 Wedge

Putter - Odyssey White Hot RX #7

Bag -  :callaway-small: ORG 14 cart bag

I can tell you that for me there are a few factors that determine if I use my "good" balls vs balls I don't mind loosing. First is it a course I know or playing for the first time?, second after the first few holes how am I playing? if I'm spraying things all over and into the never, never land, then I play a "ball to loose". I keep about 6 balls in my bag that I don't mind loosing. If my driver is failing me on the first 2 holes I use, it stays in the bag and my 4W becomes my work horse for the day. I try to be conscious of how I'm playing that day, what clubs I'm hitting better than others, where my misses are.

That's kinda my approach.....

Chris

Far and Sure......

:callaway-small:          GBB Epic  11*             

:callaway-small:               GBB Epic 7W (Heavenwood)

:ping-small::             G410 4 thru GW

:callaway-logo-1:   MD3 54*,60*                                                         

:cleveland-small:         Huntington Beach Soft #4

:bridgestone-small:   Tour B RX

I'd hesitate to make the switch to a good ball - I'm assuming you mean a tour level urethane ball - if you lose more than 1 per 18. Play the highest quality ball you are comfortable losing. Losing the ball is a distracting thought you don't need. There are high quality balls like the Srixon Soft Feel that will run $1.50 a ball.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

I wouldn't get to hung up on playing a good ball. Balls have come a long way. I get boxes of balls in tournaments and as gifts. I can play a high end ball at $4.50 a piece or a $2.00 ball and still play well. I was given a box of Srixon Soft Feel balls and shot even par when trying one out. At this stage use what you can afford to lose. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

After trying the infamous K-Sig's and having them perform no better and in some cases better than "premium" balls, I use them all the time, has even improved my game since I really don't care if I dunk one or two,,, one less swing thought 

In one outing between the wife and I , think we lost 9, 6 by me.

DRIVER: default_cobra-small.jpg.125f3712aad21ad9f7ca2c672e34a299.jpg  Cobra F-8 set at 10.5,  Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 60 (R) 44 1/2 "

3 & 5 WOOD: default_callaway-small.jpg.a58e7c6760b71a9eb95d385ecc5d2200.jpg Callaway XR-16, Fujikura Speeder Evolution 565 Red (R) 

IRONS 5-SW: default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-700, 2 upright, std loft  Alta CB (R) + 1/2"

HYBRID 3-4:  default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-410, 1 upright,  Alta CB 70 Red (R) + 1/2"

PUTTER: Byron Experimental GSS

I was playing the Snell MTB-X last year and loving it.  The price is great for new balls, especially if you buy in bulk.  The only problem is that I like to practice on the course, and I like to practice with the ball I play.  My course is also really tight and when you hit it into the trees, you're not finding your ball.  So I've started playing the Srixon Z-Star XV.  You can generally find new ones at a very good price, and you can pick them up used for next to nothing.  So I'll play a new ball at the start of the round, and I'll play the used balls for practice shots, or if I'm just generally in the tank and have lost a couple new ones.  

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

All valid points! I appreciate everyone's feedback so far. My personal stock of balls varies from all levels. Some higher end balls (ProV1, ChomeSoft, Z Star, Vice Pro+, etc) given as gifts to older model balls passed on by my FIL who doesn't play much anymore. I honestly haven't purchased new balls myself in over a year.

So today I played 18 going with Vice Pro+. Second time I ever played with them. In total, I only lost 4 balls with one being a random Pinnacle Gold knowing I was most likely going to hit water - which I did!

Interesting that the Srixon Soft Feel got mentioned a few times. Never played them myself. Any similarities to Callaway SuperSofts? I used to play those a lot (due to price point) but after a while felt they were too soft and that I was losing some distance.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M2 D-Type, 9.5 degrees, (Stiff flex) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grip)

3/4W -  :cobra-small: King F6 Black 3-4 Wood (Stiff flex) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grip)

4-AW -  :callaway-small: Steelhead XR Irons (Stiff flex) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grips, 7i with Winn Dri-Tac X Grip) 

A simple answer - 3. 

If I have any cheaper balls, or find them as I play, then they may enter rotation after losing 3 premium balls. 

Even though I don't pay for balls, I don't like to waste the good ones either. 

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

As a 26 handicapper, finding a low-cost ball you can play consistently will help your game. You don't want to lose a dozen ProV1's a round; that said, find a quality lower-priced ball that you like and play it. Once you've gotten more consistent, then you can reap the benefits of a higher-end ball.

When looking for the lower-priced ball you want to play -- start from the green out. Look for something that you feel comfortable with around the green, pitching and chipping. A few yards either way off the driver are less critical, given that your ball-striking has fairly significant variability.

3 minutes ago, goaliedad30 said:

As a 26 handicapper, finding a low-cost ball you can play consistently will help your game. You don't want to lose a dozen ProV1's a round; that said, find a quality lower-priced ball that you like and play it. Once you've gotten more consistent, then you can reap the benefits of a higher-end ball.

When looking for the lower-priced ball you want to play -- start from the green out. Look for something that you feel comfortable with around the green, pitching and chipping. A few yards either way off the driver are less critical, given that your ball-striking has fairly significant variability.

Agreed! 

Trust me, any high-end balls like the ProV1s that I own stay home and won't be touched for quite some time.

1 hour ago, Ronoc said:

Agreed! 

Trust me, any high-end balls like the ProV1s that I own stay home and won't be touched for quite some time.

I started out losing about 6-8 balls a round. I learned how to just choose different clubs to keep the ball in play more. It is surprising how much you can control losing a ball through course management. 

Once I got to losing many less balls is when I started gaming pro level balls. Boy they do make a big difference in how you play shots around the green. A very fun journey indeed. 

I carry different brand balls on my bad days. I like pro level balls on par 3s, and wide open shots. Then I would choose a cheaper ball for riskier shots - Srixon Soft Feel, Titleist TruFeel, Callaway SuperHot or Supersoft, and Bridgestone e6. But never the Top Flite, Pinnacle, or Mojo/Chaos balls because they do nothing for my game. 

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

I play Top Flite Gamers and D2+ Feels, W/S Duo, etc. Lower compression 2 or 3 piece balls. I tend to lose a lot still OB off the tee (and that's on ME not the ball!) so I stick with sub $30/doz balls.

I don't play for spin around the greens, I always adjust for rollout with chips and I don't have any problems stopping those balls on approach shots. If I lose one of those balls off the tee, I'll look quickly then move on without too much guilt. I don't subscribe to the mindset of moving to a "lower price/value" ball after losing a bunch, or using one on a hole that has water. To me, that signifies mentally preparing yourself to lose balls, and once your brain goes there, well... 

My personal low score and my only ace came with a Maxfli SoftFli. So I'm fine gaming those types of balls. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I have been playing Z-stars since the ball report came out last year - the bang for the buck is excellent IMO (especially when you take advantage of their periodic BOGO sales). With that said, I still lose enough balls that I normally limit myself to losing 3 before I switch to whatever tour quality balls I have found. I understand the thought that we should stick with one ball, but if I lose 3 in one round, I am playing bad enough that I doubt the consistent behavior of one brand will really matter to me.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

Same for me. 3 good balls lost and I'll switch to cheaper stuff.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

If I’m playing a private club with good friends or for work, I stick with the top shelf balls I started with. 

If playing for yucks with your buddies at the Muni, I’d say 2-4 lost balls is my limit before switching to tier-2 balls

SW: Cleveland CBX 2 56 degree, 12 bounce

GW:  Cleveland CBX 2 52 degree, 11 bounce

6 - 9 irons: Callaway RAZR X HL Irons,  True Temper M-10 XP steel shaft

5H Callaway RAZR X HL 27 degree, 60 lie, 38.75" length

4H: Taylormade 22 degree,   60.5 Lie    40.25" length

3W Callaway Diablo Octane 15 degree, 56 lie, 43"

Taylormade Rocketballz 10.5 degree 46"

• 2 weeks later...

There is some good advice here. Everyone has some I'm already slicing the hell out if it and there's water right balls in their bag, but MGS does offer solid advice sticking to one ball. When I first read that, I switched to a similar compression point until I got to where I was happy enough playing one kind of ball. At least if youre used to playing soft, you can play almost any soft ball comfortably. I read the reviews on here for the Maxfli stuff, gave the tour X a try, and honestly I've been playing great. Find a good compression at a comfortable price range and have at it. Good luck! 

Titleist 975J

Callaway Hawkeye 3 Wood

Ben Hogan CFT Hybrid, Apex Plus Irons

Cleveland 588 Wedges

Scotty Newport 2 Mid Slant Pro Platinum