TESTERS WANTED! ×

When should I upgrade from Game Improvement Irons?!?

I would personally do a comparison of your current clubs against what's out there in a fitting setting.

The other thing to keep in mind might be to consider or keep an open mind about a set that is a mix of blades and GI irons. I play golf with a guy who has TM 790's for the top of his bag for the forgiveness and the new MC's for more feel at the bottom of his bag. He plays off a 6 HDCP.

Also don't be afraid to try different brands or brands you may not consider. I personally have brand new steelhead xr's that I can shape a shot with. Considered GI irons with some workability. Not something I was expecting.

Driver - :callaway-small: Mavrik w/ Aldila Rogue White 130MSI 60X

3-Wood - :taylormade-small: RocketBallz 3 HL

Hybrid - :callaway-small: Apex 2 w/ Kuro Kage 65g Stiff

Irons - :callaway-small: Steelhead XR's w/ KBS Tour-V 90 - 5-PW, AW - Stiff

Wedges - Kirkland Signature 52*, 56*, 60*

Putter -   default_taylormade-small.jpg.f51b0863b47c9f7d3e2ffc3583a5d3da.jpg  Spider S #1 Platinum/White

Grips - Golf Pride Tour Velvet Midsize

Ball - Srixon Z-star.....Q-Star in Spring and Fall

Jeremy Booth

Swing easy.

Try everything at a fitting.

My Son was fitted during mid Sumner, when his swing was at it's prime.

Mizuno told him he was good enough for muscle back ( blades).

But, they also said "During the off season, you may have trouble if you're not having a perfect day".

He ended up with players cavity backs.

During winter when he doesn't play everyday, his scores don't suffer as much.

Some of his friends were trying to push him to the blades.

He said he might get a used set of blades and switch around in the summer.

Always chasing different clubs

• 2 weeks later...

So my clubs were expected to arrive at the end of November got the call that they were in yesterday so what did I do? I did what anyone would do left work early and headed across town!! Can’t wait to get to the range today and course tomorrow! New Callaway Apex 4-Pw -.5 inch shaft stiff flex, standard lie. I also bought some the Vokey wedges yesterday since the loft on my Apex differed so much mainly because I opted not to get the Apex GW. IMG_4340.JPGIMG_4339.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I don't think there is a set point that you need to transition. I've known really good players that used game improvement clubs. I think you should play the clubs that fit your game the best. Your skill level doesn't necessarily translate to which club you "should" play. How you play, weather you need forgiveness or workability, your misses, etc., etc., should play more into what type of clubs your playing than your handicap level.

:ping-small: G410 Plus Driver, Ping Tour 173-65 Regular

:ping-small: G410 5 wood, Ping Tour 173-65 Regular

:ping-small: G410 Crossover 3 Iron, Alta CB 70 Regular

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-LW Project X LZ 5.5

:scotty-small:   Phantom X 12

:titelist-small: Pro V1x Yellow

:Arccos:

IMO, theres no point where you, "should" upgrade from GI irons.  You may WANT to upgrade to player's cavity backs or blades but theres really no point where you should.  I'll admit to being someone who prefers a more compact iron and one with a thin sole and thin topline.  However, if I didn't care about looks and wanted something that gave me the most distance and forgivness, Id probably be gaming a set of hybrid irons.

Id also point out that the trend even on tour is to moving away from blades and to moving to more forgiving, GI style irons.  So, if the pros are using the most forgiving irons they cant stand, why wouldn't the rest of us?

Having said that, I have absolutely no intentions of practicing what Im preaching and will not be putting a set of Cleveland Launchers in my bag now or ever.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

16 hours ago, BadgerGolfer said:

IMO, theres no point where you, "should" upgrade from GI irons.  You may WANT to upgrade to player's cavity backs or blades but theres really no point where you should.  I'll admit to being someone who prefers a more compact iron and one with a thin sole and thin topline.  However, if I didn't care about looks and wanted something that gave me the most distance and forgivness, Id probably be gaming a set of hybrid irons.

Id also point out that the trend even on tour is to moving away from blades and to moving to more forgiving, GI style irons.  So, if the pros are using the most forgiving irons they cant stand, why wouldn't the rest of us?

Having said that, I have absolutely no intentions of practicing what Im preaching and will not be putting a set of Cleveland Launchers in my bag now or ever.

I mean, the Cleveland Launcher brand includes multiple models. 

I agree that the HB launchers (the SGI iron wood set) are a bit too chunky for my taste and i passed on them cause they didn't suit my eye. Similarly I'd only use the UHX launchers (the chunkier GI irons) in the longer irons because the shorter irons are again a bit too chunky. But the CBX's are actually not that big for a GI iron and they feel pretty good for a cast iron that i got at a third of the price of a lot of the forged irons.

Then again, I have the CBX launchers in my bag because I love the toe forgiveness. So i chose my irons more off of what my weakness was and what iron helped my weakness the most. 

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

On 11/6/2020 at 9:02 AM, MNUte said:

I mean, the Cleveland Launcher brand includes multiple models. 

I agree that the HB launchers (the SGI iron wood set) are a bit too chunky for my taste and i passed on them cause they didn't suit my eye. Similarly I'd only use the UHX launchers (the chunkier GI irons) in the longer irons because the shorter irons are again a bit too chunky. But the CBX's are actually not that big for a GI iron and they feel pretty good for a cast iron that i got at a third of the price of a lot of the forged irons.

Then again, I have the CBX launchers in my bag because I love the toe forgiveness. So i chose my irons more off of what my weakness was and what iron helped my weakness the most. 

I had the CBX irons until very recently and compared to my previous clubs they were fairly thick, but i needed the help after kiddos came along and golf time evaporated. I found someone that wanted to trade to a more GI irons from his Srixon 585/785 combo, so I couldn't pass it up and now game the combo set and love it. I could bomb that CBX 4i though. 

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour