Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Club Advice

JerBooth

So here’s the deal.

I have a big gap in my golf bag. I recently returned playing golf after a long hiatus.

this past summer, I bought a used SLDR S driver with a stiff Fujikara shaft. Love this thing. 
For my birthday, I got very lucky and bought a set of Callaway Steelhead XRs 5-pw, aw for 400 bucks. (Someone left a sale tag on the set for a set of Cobra F6s on clearance and the store gave me the Cally’s for the sale price. Saved 400 bucks)

As you can see. There’s quite the gap between Driver and 5-iron. I do have a 3w I found of my father in laws but it must be 20 years old and has a regular shaft in it. Therefore, I slice it well.

id like to fill that gap with something used as newer clubs of course are pricey. My dad seems to think I should get a 3 wood and some sort of hybrid. 
Does swing speed (I swing at around 105 but need an update on that stat)really matter with hybrids or can they be fitted just like your irons and woods? Should I stick to a driving iron or something like that to fill the hybrid spot?

Any opinions or experience you’d like to share with this is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Jeremy

Driver - :callaway-small: Mavrik w/ Aldila Rogue White 130MSI 60X

3-Wood - :taylormade-small: RocketBallz 3 HL

Hybrid - :callaway-small: Apex 2 w/ Kuro Kage 65g Stiff

Irons - :callaway-small: Steelhead XR's w/ KBS Tour-V 90 - 5-PW, AW - Stiff

Wedges - Kirkland Signature 52*, 56*, 60*

Putter -   default_taylormade-small.jpg.f51b0863b47c9f7d3e2ffc3583a5d3da.jpg  Spider S #1 Platinum/White

Grips - Golf Pride Tour Velvet Midsize

Ball - Srixon Z-star.....Q-Star in Spring and Fall

Jeremy Booth

Swing easy.

1 minute ago, JerBooth said:

id like to fill that gap with something used as newer clubs of course are pricey. My dad seems to think I should get a 3 wood and some sort of hybrid. 
Does swing speed (I swing at around 105 but need an update on that stat)really matter with hybrids or can they be fitted just like your irons and woods? Should I stick to a driving iron or something like that to fill the hybrid spot?

You have lots of options.   For 3 wood,  the Callaway XR 16 gets good reviews as does the Tour Edge Exotics line.    You may consider 4 wood since it might be a big easier to hit.

Swing speed is one aspect of determining a clubs fit;  you also need to consider launch angle, spin, how load/unload the shaft, and dispersion to name a few things to look at.    All clubs can be fitted including hybrids.    As for what to put in the bag,  you should hit fairway woods, hybrids, driving irons, and irons to see what works best with your swing,  Fairway woods typically launch highest and driving irons lowest.   Most people hit one type better than the others. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

eBay has lots of used 3 woods that can be had on the cheap: I got my Titleist 917 f2 3 wood for $70 shipped, just barely used.. happy hunting

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

Some people have trouble hitting 3W.  See this thread...  

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/24773-do-you-actually-use-your-3-wood/?tab=comments#comment-443566

Some people have trouble hitting hybrids.

You need to find out what fits your swing and game the best.  If you hit a 3W good, that's the way to go.  Don't give up yardage unless there is a reason.  Then find a hybrid that fits between your 3W and 5i to fill the gap(s).

If you don't find a 3W that you can hit well 75% of the time of the deck and you have good luck hitting hybrids, then you might want to consider a 2H (16-17º) and another hybrid 4H?? to fill the gap.  

Personally I find hybrids to be very finicky; some I hit well, others I don't, so you need to find the brand that you get along with the best.  Hybrids are not the same from one manufacturer to another.  Of course, the best option is to get fit where you can try several brands.  Good luck hunting!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Great advice has been mentioned above, but you may also consider looking at the Callaway Golf Preowned site to see if they may have lower lofted irons which may match your set. If you were to get a 4 iron, that would close some of the gaps to the top of your bag up as well.

Driver & Fairway: :titleist-small: Titleist TSR3 10 degree - :Fuji: Ventus TR Blue & :titleist-small: TSR3 15 - :projectx: Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 

Hybrid: :callaway-small: Callaway Apex UW 19 - :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke Black

Irons: :titleist-small: Titleist T200 3G (4) & T150 - (5-G) - :projectx: Project X LZ 

Wedges: :vokey-small: Vokey SM8 54, and 58

Putter: :cameron-small: Cameron Phantom X 7

Ball: :titleist-small: Pro V1 & :maxfli: Maxfli Tour

Not sure what your budget is but it seems like a 3W would help filling the gap.The Taylormade RBZ Stage II 3W is great club and it’s a relatively cheap one now. A 5W or 4H might round out the set and add some versatility for longer second shots from the fairway or rough.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

NSM

If you want a new 3 wood, with a variety of shaft options, take a serious look @GolfSub70 939X. Best 3 wood I've owned.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

• 2 weeks later...

How you use a 3w makes a big difference.   I had a 3&5 and ditched them both and went to a tour edge 4w.  Was much easier to get airborne off the deck and worked well off the tee also just gave up about 10 yds with similar club head speed to what you had stated and added a lob wedge.  I had bought “last years model” so paid $125 instead of $250.  I did get fit for it so that added $75.  But still less than any of the just released. Then either a hybrid or a 7w depending on gapping, ball flight, course(s) you usually play.  

PXG gen2X, 10.5, Adila NV nxt 65s

Tour Edge CBX 3t 16.5, HZDUS Yellow 6.0S

3&4 hybrid Cobra AmpCell S shaft

5-PW Callaway Mavrik Pro, Project X LZ 105 6.0

GW&SW Cobra AmpCell TT Dynalite 90 S

60 Bettinardi forged, TT Gold S200

Srixon ZStar