TESTERS WANTED! ×

$15 DIY Spine Finder

I recently moved beyond gripping my own clubs and branched out to other projects. Torch coloring, paint fill, surface refinishing, etc. Since I have a large machine shop and a larger supply of good scrap materials I've been building a lot of the tools I'd have to buy otherwise.

The next big thing on my list was reshafting, and all of the nuances about the process. Enter my spine finder and FLO jig project. I've seen quite a few DIY designs, and some examples from the big name companies. Couldn't decide which one I wanted to build so I'm going to build them both.

I started the tube design by deciding on a bearing size to build around and settled on a 40mm O.D. size from amazon ($6.96/4-pack) and found some steel tube (zero chance I was going to use PVC) with an inside diameter of 36mm. I then started the lathe and went to work boring the tube out to size and installed the bearings with a hydraulic press. I then cut a length of 2"Lx5/16"W flat stock and MIG welded it to the tube for a vise mount. Quick cleaning of the weld, and a few Rustoleum passes, and Voila! $15 spine finder.

Up next- FLO laser jig, loft/lie measurement tool, positive pressure shaft puller, and a bench mounted spine finder. 20200818_192743.jpeg20200819_152616.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Edited by Shank Aaron

Shank's Tentative 2024 WITB

O.B. Finder- Paradym Smoke Ai TD 9*/Ventus TR Blue 6X +1/D

FW- Callaway UW 17*/VA Composites Nemesys 7X

4H- Paradym Super Hybrid/Ventus Velo Blue 8X

5-AW- Apex 21 $-Taper 120S Blackout- (almost time for a new set of something....)

Spoons- Vokey Jet Black SM9 50.08 F/54.10 S/58.08 M Jet Black/Accra iWedge Tour (Until the SM10's drop)

Flat One- Bettinardi Hive Poison Kool-Aid Innovai 6.0

Left Dash ALL DAY/14-way Vessel Players 4 (Thank GOD they finally fully enclosed each club pocket)

I always figured golf shaft splines could be determined the same way I find them on fly rods.  Perhaps due to the increased stiffness, the leverage/rotation aide is needed.  Same basic principle however.  Looks like my kind of project!

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Yeah, it is the same principle. I never really knew about it (or the hotly contested debates about the subject) until early this year. Here's a good video on spine finding.

Shank's Tentative 2024 WITB

O.B. Finder- Paradym Smoke Ai TD 9*/Ventus TR Blue 6X +1/D

FW- Callaway UW 17*/VA Composites Nemesys 7X

4H- Paradym Super Hybrid/Ventus Velo Blue 8X

5-AW- Apex 21 $-Taper 120S Blackout- (almost time for a new set of something....)

Spoons- Vokey Jet Black SM9 50.08 F/54.10 S/58.08 M Jet Black/Accra iWedge Tour (Until the SM10's drop)

Flat One- Bettinardi Hive Poison Kool-Aid Innovai 6.0

Left Dash ALL DAY/14-way Vessel Players 4 (Thank GOD they finally fully enclosed each club pocket)