TESTERS WANTED! ×

Donate to MyGolfSpy

Tony Covey MGS

• SPY VIP

Hopefully you've seen our blog posts announcing our donation program and club recycling program. Let me start by saying a very sincere thank you to those of you who have already donated. GolfSpy X is busy adding forum badges for those of you who's names and email addresses we recognized. If you have already donated, and don't have a badge, send me a PM and let me know the email address you used to donate, and we'll get you squared away as quickly as we can.

The decision to ask for donations was far from an easy one. It would have been simple enough to say that everyone else is doing it, so why shouldn't we, but as you know, we pride ourselves on doing things differently. Quite frankly, GolfSpy X and I were uncomfortable, and remain so, about asking for your money.

Ultimately we came to the realization that the commitments we've made to you, refusing big OEM advertising dollars in order to remain completely above the influence, completely independent, and unthethered from the marketing machines that drive the golf equipment industry, will fail without your financial support.

This isn't a doom and gloom post designed to scare you into opening up your wallets, but we do think it's important for everyone to understand where MyGolfSpy is as a business. We have a vision for what we can become, but we won't succeed without funding (and the time that funding will allow us to spend on growing the site). The ideas we'd like to implement are many of the same you've suggested to us. They include things like:

• Testing heads with the same shafts
  • Blind testing (masking the true identity of the clubs being tested)
  • Comparing custom fit equipment
  • Gather more and even better data (Trackman)
  • Purchase our test equipment at retail and eliminate the OEMs from the process completely

We'd love to do some of this, all of this, and even more. Our ultimate goal is to become globally recognizable as The Consumer Reports of Golf. That's not some catching marketing pitch, it's what we think a golf site 100% dedicated to the consumer should be. It's what we want to be.

The reality is that we can't do any of it without the support of our readers. Yeah, we could probably shut our mouths, behave ourselves, and play by the industry rules. If we did that it's reasonable to assume within 6 months the big guys would be calling us with six figure advertising opportunities. Of course then where would we be? We'd have more money, but we wouldn't be able to use it for any of the things we want to do; the things you've asked us to do. We'd simply become the latest in a long line of mini-golf digests; existing for little more than to keep sponsors happy and cash flowing. That's not what we want, and we hope that's not what you want.

We've made the decision to go all in and push forward our way and not look back. Whether or not we succeed is largely up to you, and everyone else who visits MyGolfSpy. If every person who visited our site in a single month donated just $1 we'd be well on our way. Of course, that's not a realistic expectation. All we can ask is for you to consider what MyGolfSpy offers you. If what we do has value to you, and if you believe in our vision for what a consumer driven golf site should look like, then please consider donating what you can to help us grow and become the golf site that many in the golf equipment industry want never to exist at all.

Details on how to donate can be found in this post. Also check out the details of our new Recycling Program.

Thanks,

T

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

I can imagine some people here viewing this request with a cautious eye, given how other sites have approached donations in a similar vein - i.e., "We want to create a site of the golfer, by the golfer, for the golfer ..." - only to end up lying through their teeth. However, from what I've personally seen, experienced and discussed with Golfspy X, MGS is cut from a different cloth ... so far. Of course, actions will always dictate how a person or a group of people should be judged, and this site along with its owners should be assessed no differently in an ongoing basis. With that said, I am happy to have made a modest contribution, and I look forward to seeing MyGolfSpy continue to do right by its owners and members over the long haul.

My opinion is that you get what you pay for. This is a great site based on a great concept, but its pretty unrealistic to expect that it happen for free.

Seems to me the choice is either WE pay for it, or someone else does. Whoever pays for it is going to expect to have some influence and I'd rather it be us the consumers than anyone else.

I ditched my Golf Digest subscription shortly after I found MGS. Who knows how much money I've saved or at least spent more wisely because of this site, so for me, pitching in was a no-brainer.

Thank you, and keep up the good work!

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

T, before you drop 30K + monthly support for a Trackman (or have someone else do it), check out the Flightscope X-2 at 11K. I had the opportunity to get on both last weekend for over an hour each, and the FS is the equal of Tman. In addition, for testing purposes, the FS has a shaft acceleration profile that allows even the village idiot to see in 2 or 3 shots if the head and shaft match. If you would like to talk to someone who has extensive experience with both monitors, just PM me and I will send the details.

Was an easy decision to donate, especially since I have won some contests here! Love what you guys are doing and I push people from my Blog here, because this should be everyone's first stop in the morning.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

Golfspy T doesn't have a donor badge! Fail! :D

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

• 5 months later...

I've donated but have no badge. No biggie to me though.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

• 4 months later...
  • SPY VIP

Just gave a little something to keep this site going strong...

We appreciate the help, Tx-Ping. I've updated your forum account to show the donor badge.

Thanks again,

Tony

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Just made a small donation. Hopefully I get my badge soon? Or do I have to break the bank to get the cool badge?

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

• SPY VIP

Just made a small donation. Hopefully I get my badge soon? Or do I have to break the bank to get the cool badge?

How quick was that? And thanks. We definitely appreciate it.

How quick was that? And thanks. We definitely appreciate it.

I already feel cool.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

• 2 months later...

Hopefully you've seen our blog posts announcing our donation program and club recycling program. Let me start by saying a very sincere thank you to those of you who have already donated. GolfSpy X is busy adding forum badges for those of you who's names and email addresses we recognized. If you have already donated, and don't have a badge, send me a PM and let me know the email address you used to donate, and we'll get you squared away as quickly as we can.

The decision to ask for donations was far from an easy one. It would have been simple enough to say that everyone else is doing it, so why shouldn't we, but as you know, we pride ourselves on doing things differently. Quite frankly, GolfSpy X and I were uncomfortable, and remain so, about asking for your money.

Ultimately we came to the realization that the commitments we've made to you, refusing big OEM advertising dollars in order to remain completely above the influence, completely independent, and unthethered from the marketing machines that drive the golf equipment industry, will fail without your financial support.

This isn't a doom and gloom post designed to scare you into opening up your wallets, but we do think it's important for everyone to understand where MyGolfSpy is as a business. We have a vision for what we can become, but we won't succeed without funding (and the time that funding will allow us to spend on growing the site). The ideas we'd like to implement are many of the same you've suggested to us. They include things like:

• Testing heads with the same shafts
  • Blind testing (masking the true identity of the clubs being tested)
  • Comparing custom fit equipment
  • Gather more and even better data (Trackman)
  • Purchase our test equipment at retail and eliminate the OEMs from the process completely

We'd love to do some of this, all of this, and even more. Our ultimate goal is to become globally recognizable as The Consumer Reports of Golf. That's not some catching marketing pitch, it's what we think a golf site 100% dedicated to the consumer should be. It's what we want to be.

The reality is that we can't do any of it without the support of our readers. Yeah, we could probably shut our mouths, behave ourselves, and play by the industry rules. If we did that it's reasonable to assume within 6 months the big guys would be calling us with six figure advertising opportunities. Of course then where would we be? We'd have more money, but we wouldn't be able to use it for any of the things we want to do; the things you've asked us to do. We'd simply become the latest in a long line of mini-golf digests; existing for little more than to keep sponsors happy and cash flowing. That's not what we want, and we hope that's not what you want.

We've made the decision to go all in and push forward our way and not look back. Whether or not we succeed is largely up to you, and everyone else who visits MyGolfSpy. If every person who visited our site in a single month donated just $1 we'd be well on our way. Of course, that's not a realistic expectation. All we can ask is for you to consider what MyGolfSpy offers you. If what we do has value to you, and if you believe in our vision for what a consumer driven golf site should look like, then please consider donating what you can to help us grow and become the golf site that many in the golf equipment industry want never to exist at all.

Details on how to donate can be found in this post. Also check out the details of our new Recycling Program.

Thanks,

T

I respect the comments above regarding your concerns on asking for donations and agree with all the others replies in that in the very short time that I have been on MGS, the value of the reviews alone has saved me dollars I would have spent buying and trying until I get a club that works.

I have purchased nunchuk shafts & Adams Hydrids based on MGS reviews and can not be happier with their performance.

So, having said all that I have donated and look forward to many years of MGS.

AJ

WITB

Driver: Ping G25

FW: TM RBZ

Irons: Miura 57 Series w/KBS C-Taper

Wedges: Vokey SM4 52-08,56-12,60-04

Putter: Watch This Space

Ball: SRixon Z Star

Other: Tourstriker 7i

"Go Hard or Go Home"

"Do or Do Not. There is NO "TRY"

"Be normal, and the crowd will accept you. Be deranged, and they will make you their leader"

"I don't fail. I succeed at finding what doesn't work"

• SPY VIP

I respect the comments above regarding your concerns on asking for donations and agree with all the others replies in that in the very short time that I have been on MGS, the value of the reviews alone has saved me dollars I would have spent buying and trying until I get a club that works.

I have purchased nunchuk shafts & Adams Hydrids based on MGS reviews and can not be happier with their performance.

So, having said all that I have donated and look forward to many years of MGS.

AJ

Thanks AJ. Every donation is appreciated. I got your badge squared away.

Anybody who quotes Yoda in his signature is good by me.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm sorry it's not more guys, but hopefully every little helps.....

If I can fleece a few folk on the course I'll try and be more generous - keep up the good work

Westy

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

• 3 weeks later...

There are a lot of class acts on this site, & we've had a lot of new guys jumpin in and I think that we have the Tour Contest to thank for that. But the reason for this post is to thank two guys who've donated, and the badges don't do 'em justice, cuz they both are great contributors along with comin up big on the donation front. I'm talkin about Kygolfer & manbearpig(Dan). They get it!

They're class acts and we're much better for havin 'em. And I know Dan has expanded my understanding of the endangered species list. Yep Dude, I'm better off for having met ya..lol

The Best and Thanx

Fairways & Greens 4ever

Thx Richard, enjoy the site and hope to contribute for a long time!

Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard S flex

3 wood: Titleist 915F 15*, Whiteboard S Flex

Titleist 915H 18* and 24* with Whiteboard SFlex

Irons: Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 4-PW with S300's

Wedges: Mizuno MP T4 50*, 56* with DG Spinner

Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;

Ball: Bridgestone B330 or Titleist NXT

Bag: Titleist 'Murica colored carry bag or

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

• SPY VIP

There are a lot of class acts on this site, & we've had a lot of new guys jumpin in and I think that we have the Tour Contest to thank for that. But the reason for this post is to thank two guys who've donated, and the badges don't do 'em justice, cuz they both are great contributors along with comin up big on the donation front. I'm talkin about Kygolfer & manbearpig(Dan). They get it!

They're class acts and we're much better for havin 'em. And I know Dan has expanded my understanding of the endangered species list. Yep Dude, I'm better off for having met ya..lol

The Best and Thanx

Fairways & Greens 4ever

Um I almost got a little tear going @ work... Thanks so much RP that means a lot.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

• 2 months later...
  • SPY VIP

Please pm me with your Paypal address and I'll look into it.

Thanks,

T

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

Just curious, I set up a monthly donation amount some time ago but have yet to get a message from PayPal that it was funded. I'm wondering if it didn't get set up right. I don't know how to check though.

PayPal does not allow for monthly installments unless you log in and pay an amount each month.  It does not operate like a debit/stop order! 

I suggest you consider stripe and we all contribute monthly - no idea how many members you have but even $1 per month might just help. 

If you have enough members I am willing to set-up a tour, will use my own funds to set this up, but need some info - your call

• 4 weeks later...

PayPal does allow monthly installments. I pay for my photobucket account on the monthly installment plan and it drafts through PayPal. Don't ask me how to do it though. I clicked a few buttons on photobucket to do it, but it's a draft via PayPal

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

X -

I got a feeling that most of the members here would be served well if we could organize a fundraising tournament, coordinated with the pga show timeframe and/or on a local level. with a big demo day event attached to it.

just a thought -

Michael

Great idea....there is a new app called Game Golf that is free and you can set up a group and it lets you post scores hole by hole so everyone can see.....we could do a listeners cup thing even though we might play different courses......just a thought.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

• 11 months later...

New to the site, but just pulled the trigger on a small donation!

Driver - TaylorMade RBZ Stage 1 - 9.5* - Stiff Shaft

3wood - TaylorMade SLDR            - 15*  - Stiff Shaft

Hybrid - Ben Hogan Golf VKTR     - 20*  - Stiff Shaft

- Ben Hogan Golf VKTR     - 24*  - Stiff Shaft

Irons - Ben Hogan Apex Plus - 5-PW - Rifle 5.0 Shaft

Wedges - Cleveland 588 RTX - 52* 56* 60* - Tru-Temper Dynamic Gold Shaft

Putter -Ben Hogan by Bettinardi BHB1-C

Balls -TaylorMade Project (a)

Shoes - Adidas Tour360 Boost - All Black

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I made a small donation yesterday, sorry I couldn't give more.  Keep up the great work!!! - Any idea when MGS store is going to open, dying to get a putter headcover for my Scotty. 

#Powertotheplayer

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

Hi, I made a small donation yesterday, sorry I couldn't give more.  Keep up the great work!!! - Any idea when MGS store is going to open, dying to get a putter headcover for my Scotty. 

#Powertotheplayer

Hi,

Hope to get my cool donor's badge soon.

Best!

WITB:

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Hi,

Hope to get my cool donor's badge soon.

Best!

How long to I get my Donors Badge?

Thank you!!

WITB:

• 4 months later...

I sent my donation in as I think it's important to realize how much MGS does for us.  Look at all the cool equipment reviews, the instructional information, and community which I can already tell is second to none.  Some folks are in a tight for money so yea, that's understandable and there are some who have it and spend the minimum on beer every month.  :D    Next year I hope to donate more than I did this year, which was not much but a start.

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)