TESTERS WANTED! ×

Wilson irons

huskie55

3 minutes ago, JohnSmalls said:

Looks like Wilson is trying to take their marketing to a new level.

Let's be real - they need to step it up a bit. Not only on marketing, but in distribution as well. We had that great thread with @GolfSpy Barbajoabout W/S marketing ideas and I hope things ramp up, as a bonafide W/S homer. They need some visibility AND sticks on the shelves so folks can see them.

I'll say this from the articles on the main site - loving both the price on the irons AND the fact that the D9 driver is more of a "normal" weight. Both great steps for Wilson.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

4 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

Let's be real - they need to step it up a bit. Not only on marketing, but in distribution as well. We had that great thread with @GolfSpy Barbajoabout W/S marketing ideas and I hope things ramp up, as a bonafide W/S homer. They need some visibility AND sticks on the shelves so folks can see them.

I'll say this from the articles on the main site - loving both the price on the irons AND the fact that the D9 driver is more of a "normal" weight. Both great steps for Wilson.

I'm with you 100%.  Marketing has been a weak point that's for sure.  I know that they spend the same percentage as the big guys, but a good social media presence can make up for $$$ spent. I love my D7s and I hope Wilson does well with the new release.

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

So I'm curious how the D9 irons will be perceived from some folks. They got rid of the power holes in the top line, which a lot of people didn't like and found distracting. Having played the C300 and D300 lines, I got used to them rather quickly. But I know they were a big turnoff for a number of golfers. 

I'm also interested to see how the turf interaction is with them. A few video reviews mention that they make it through the turf pretty easily. The soles of the D200s were probably my favorite of all the W/S iron lines I've played, those are currently in my son's bag and he just hammers them. 

I'm also still a little mixed on the badging. They're cleaner than some of the other D lines, but I really liked the red/black color scheme. I know they moved away from it with the D7 line, and I had kind of hoped it would come back. But the more pics of it I see, the more I'm liking it. 

I really need to hit the D9’s, I’m guilty of overlooking Wilson clubs

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

12 hours ago, TBT said:

I really need to hit the D9’s, I’m guilty of overlooking Wilson clubs

22 hours ago, russtopherb said:

So I'm curious how the D9 irons will be perceived from some folks. They got rid of the power holes in the top line, which a lot of people didn't like and found distracting. Having played the C300 and D300 lines, I got used to them rather quickly. But I know they were a big turnoff for a number of golfers. 

I'm also interested to see how the turf interaction is with them. A few video reviews mention that they make it through the turf pretty easily. The soles of the D200s were probably my favorite of all the W/S iron lines I've played, those are currently in my son's bag and he just hammers them. 

I'm also still a little mixed on the badging. They're cleaner than some of the other D lines, but I really liked the red/black color scheme. I know they moved away from it with the D7 line, and I had kind of hoped it would come back. But the more pics of it I see, the more I'm liking it. 

Got to try the D9's on an unseasonably warm day here in New Hampshire a few days ago, and on grass!  Here are some observations...

1. If it's high and far you seek, these will deliver. 

2. KBS Max Ultralight Shaft is wicked ultra light- and performs as advertised. Easy to swing and hits the ball high and far. 

3. Did I mention high? Also far.

4. Wilson did a very good job of making them look nice at address. OEMs have taken that shovel thing to heart and have worked to making GI irons look better. I even compared the gap wedge to the gap wedge in the Staff Model CB set - other than the fact the head is obviously bigger, they looked surprisingly similar at address.

5. Feel is not objectionable - it's a crack at impact. If you want feedback on mishits, D9 will definitely give it to you, but the results won't punish you, which I guess is the very definition of forgiveness. 

6. I never understood the gag-reflex some folks have with Power Holes. Yeah, the C200's really overcooked it, but by the time C300 rolled around Wilson started toning down the Power Holes. I think Wilson's use of its super computer for generative design and simulations have allowed them to optimize size and location - these are downright minimal. And, as I said in the blog article, if you're looking at the Power Holes while you're swinging,  you're doing it wrong. 

7. @Golfspy_CG2 asked me which I liked better, these or the PING G425's and I have to say it's a tossup. Like them both. The Wilson's are noticeably longer, but that's because they're stronger lofted. Descent angle and ability to hold greens seem very similar, which is a result of high launch and flight. For my game the stock True Temper AMT shafts on the PING are a better fit than the KBS Max Ultralight, but Wilson offers a bunch of shafts at no upcharge.

8. Bottom line - demo both. Then flip a coin. 😉

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Got to try the D9's on an unseasonably warm day here in New Hampshire a few days ago, and on grass!  Here are some observations...
2. KBS Max Ultralight Shaft is wicked ultra light- and performs as advertised. Easy to swing and hits the ball high and far. 
4. Wilson did a very good job of making them look nice at address. OEMs have taken that shovel thing to heart and have worked to making GI irons look better. I even compared the gap wedge to the gap wedge in the Staff Model CB set - other than the fact the head is obviously bigger, they looked surprisingly similar at address.
5. Feel is not objectionable - it's a crack at impact. If you want feedback on mishits, D9 will definitely give it to you, but the results won't punish you, which I guess is the very definition of forgiveness. 
6. I never understood the gag-reflex some folks have with Power Holes. Yeah, the C200's really overcooked it, but by the time C300 rolled around Wilson started toning down the Power Holes. I think Wilson's use of its super computer for generative design and simulations have allowed them to optimize size and location - these are downright minimal. And, as I said in the blog article, if you're looking at the Power Holes while you're swinging,  you're doing it wrong. 
7. [mention=65448]Golfspy_CG2[/mention] asked me which I liked better, these or the PING G425's and I have to say it's a tossup. Like them both. The Wilson's are noticeably longer, but that's because they're stronger lofted. Descent angle and ability to hold greens seem very similar, which is a result of high launch and flight. For my game the stock True Temper AMT shafts on the PING are a better fit than the KBS Max Ultralight, but Wilson offers a bunch of shafts at no upcharge.
8. Bottom line - demo both. Then flip a coin.

Just how “jacked” are the lofts?

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

6 hours ago, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

7. @Golfspy_CG2 asked me which I liked better, these or the PING G425's and I have to say it's a tossup. Like them both. The Wilson's are noticeably longer, but that's because they're stronger lofted. Descent angle and ability to hold greens seem very similar, which is a result of high launch and flight. For my game the stock True Temper AMT shafts on the PING are a better fit than the KBS Max Ultralight, but Wilson offers a bunch of shafts at no upcharge.

8. Bottom line - demo both. Then flip a coin. 😉

Haven't seen the shaft options for D9 yet, but I've got AMTs in my D7s and they are 💰

40 minutes ago, TBT said:

IIRC, 7 iron is 28*. 

Gameday
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120

Classic Bag

Jacked more than the D7’s for sure!

Using Cobra Speedzone Extreme Driverw/ Mitsubishi Tense av Blue regular shaft; Cobra King F8 4W & 6W w/Mitsubishi Tense ck Blue regular shaft; Cobra F8 19* Hybrid w/Recoil 460 shaft, Irons 5-PW Wilson Staff D-7 w/Recoil 460 regular shafts; Wilson Staff D-7 48 & 54 wedges, Cleveland Zipcore 58 wedge & Slotline SSI693 putter.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

16 minutes ago, fozcycle said:

Jacked more than the D7’s for sure!

Using Cobra Speedzone Extreme Driverw/ Mitsubishi Tense av Blue regular shaft; Cobra King F8 4W & 6W w/Mitsubishi Tense ck Blue regular shaft; Cobra F8 19* Hybrid w/Recoil 460 shaft, Irons 5-PW Wilson Staff D-7 w/Recoil 460 regular shafts; Wilson Staff D-7 48 & 54 wedges, Cleveland Zipcore 58 wedge & Slotline SSI693 putter.

All D9 irons/wedges are 1 degree stronger than the D7 irons they replaced.  So the new 7 iron will be 27*

Gameday

Classic Bag

All D9 irons/wedges are 1 degree stronger than the D7 irons they replaced.  So the new 7 iron will be 27*

Which, IIRC, corresponds with an even lower COG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, russtopherb said:

Yep you got it.  From the back of the club it looks it too.  The D7 doesn't have the undercut cavity of the D9.  Will be interesting to see how they stack up.

Gameday

Classic Bag

12 hours ago, russtopherb said:

Will be interesting to see as I would not classify the D7 as having a low COG - they were measured at .862 (the center of the golf ball is .840 in comparison).  Most of the newer GI and SGI have substantially higher COGs than their predecessors - counter to what they advertise.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/24/2021 at 8:30 PM, russtopherb said:

If only it were actually true...

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

Looks like W/S has been getting the newer clubs into the hands of some of the more popular YouTubers for some reviews & visibility. Peter Finch's video was well done, seemed to really like the D9 irons especially. The driver in someone else's hands may produce even better than it did for him. I like the fact that tW/S is pushing more to get visibility on the brand and the new releases, something I wish they'd have done for quite some time. 

Looks like W/S has been getting the newer clubs into the hands of some of the more popular YouTubers for some reviews & visibility. Peter Finch's video was well done, seemed to really like the D9 irons especially. The driver in someone else's hands may produce even better than it did for him. I like the fact that tW/S is pushing more to get visibility on the brand and the new releases, something I wish they'd have done for quite some time. 
[/url]  

Agreed. They are working on getting more exposure. However, I would love to see them actually send clubs in the correct specs. I watched both this and Rick Shiels’ review and they have a whippy, high lofted driver. So there isn’t much of an apples to apples comparison. I get that the D9 line isn’t for these guys, but at least send an extra stiff stock option in a 9 degree for them to try. I did like the fact that the ball speed was the same as one of the new Epics though.

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

15 hours ago, Rtracymog said:

I get that the D9 line isn’t for these guys, but at least send an extra stiff stock option in a 9 degree for them to try

Well Rick shiels then to hide his club head speed when he test lately, he used to swing at 105 to 110 which is still stiff to my poor knowledge.

Rick Shiels was testing the club and got 153 ball speed from the test.

Micheal Newton did the test and he got 111 clubhead speed and 161 ball speed

A guy from TGW got 98.8 clubhead speed and 146 ball speed

A quick simple math without any advanced calculation means that Rick Shiels was hitting around 104 mp/h... 

AS for the other guy in the video clubhead speed at 110... more a x stiff for sure.

I also saw saw another post of 2 that some people didnt get the right shaft into some irons set when they ordered them from wilson... They resent them a new club but still, rookie mistake on their part.

5 minutes ago, pouetvl said:

AS for the other guy in the video clubhead speed at 110... more a x stiff for sure.

Not necessarily at all; transition has just as much to do with shaft flex as total clubhead speed. 

On 11/16/2020 at 10:59 PM, JohnSmalls said:

As much spin as Gary got Thursday compared to his playing pards, I think they might be onto something.

I know you spun the crap out of that 8 iron into 18. I was at just the right angle to see it. That was why I aked what you hit. It did a one hop stop. Last summer we were playing a scramble and we were up further and the pin was on the right rear. I threw a little 60* in there like that short hopped and stopped. The crowd was up on the patio and saw that. One of them asked AJ (you met him) WTH? and AJ chuckled and told them I more than likely had put a balata ball down for that shot. He knows me and indeed I had

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

4 hours ago, BIG STU said:

I know you spun the crap out of that 8 iron into 18. I was at just the right angle to see it. That was why I aked what you hit. It did a one hop stop. Last summer we were playing a scramble and we were up further and the pin was on the right rear. I threw a little 60* in there like that short hopped and stopped. The crowd was up on the patio and saw that. One of them asked AJ (you met him) WTH? and AJ chuckled and told them I more than likely had put a balata ball down for that shot. He knows me and indeed I had

Ah man my game was coming around that part of last year.  The funny thing about that was it was an old cheap two piece Srixon Marathon that we found earlier.  I was surprised it spun off of that shot.   Those D7s are a heck of a versatile club, especially for their design intent.  Now if I can just learn how to take spin off the ball sometimes we'll be cooking!

Nothing better than throwing a dart coming into the clubhouse!  It'll be nice when we can start playing in scrambles again.

Gameday

Classic Bag

12 hours ago, JohnSmalls said:

Ah man my game was coming around that part of last year.  The funny thing about that was it was an old cheap two piece Srixon Marathon that we found earlier.  I was surprised it spun off of that shot.   Those D7s are a heck of a versatile club, especially for their design intent.  Now if I can just learn how to take spin off the ball sometimes we'll be cooking!

Nothing better than throwing a dart coming into the clubhouse!  It'll be nice when we can start playing in scrambles again.

That Srixon Marathon is not that bad of a ball for being a 2 piece cheap ball. They were giving them out free for a while around there. Yep I am looking forward to the weather clearing up and playing in the scrambles again. Maybe you can come down one Saturday and we will do a pick up team thing. I did a last minute thing 2 weeks ago. My regular team was full so I ended up getting hooked up with two other guys that I did not know. Still took that team above my old team for a $20 side bet. We beat them shot -7 with 2 bogies. They shot -4 yep it was a tough day and Scotty was hot. If we had not made 2 bogies we would have won the whole ball of wax. I played pretty decent even though I had my moments like laying the sod over a ball not once but twice with the 24* Hybrid. AJ put the needle in them telling them " Don't Screw With Stu"

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G