TESTERS WANTED! ×

The New Face of Golf?

GolfSpy MPR

Given all the attention that Bryson Dechambeau has been getting of late, our show being no exception, is it a stretch to say he's become the new face of golf?

0:00 - Intro
0:25 - TopFlite Gamer: The Poor Man's Pro-V1?
4:16 - Ball Lab: Snell's MTB-X
7:36 - HOT SEAT: Is Bryson the new face of golf?
9:10 - Is he replacing Fowler as the face of Cobra?
11:40 - Has Bryson topped the Tiger?
15:16 - What's with small batch releases?
19:45 - Our favorite limited edition gear
Listen to NPG:
Watch NPG:

---------------------------------------------

Welcome to MyGolfSpy!

Over 9 million golfers a year turn to MyGolfSpy to get unbiased, tested reviews and recommendations for the best golf gear to help you improve your game.

Golfers like you turn to us because we're independent and unbiased. And, over the years, we've created the #1 resource for golfers who put cold, hard data above marketing hype.

#MYGOLFSPY #CONSUMERFIRST

Check out MyGolfSpy today! www.mygolfspy.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Used by over 9,000,000 forward-thinking golfers!
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Subscribe to MYGOLFSPY on YouTube: bit.ly/MGSyoutube
OUR MISSION: mygolfspy.com/our-mission/

---------------------------------------------
Check out MyGolfSpy's other channels!
--------------------------------------------

🏴REVIEWS: bit.ly/MGSreviews
🏴BUYERS GUIDES: mygolfspy.com/category/golf-b...
🏴NEW RELEASES: bit.ly/MGSnewgear
🏴PODCAST: podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast...
🏴DRIVER FITTING TOOL: www.truegolffit.com/

------------------------------------
MYGOLFSPY on Social Media
------------------------------------

🏴Twitter: twitter.com/MyGolfSpy
🏴Facebook: www.facebook.com/mygolfspycom/
🏴Instagram: www.instagram.com/mygolfspy/

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

I hope he is not the new face of golf. I like that he is willing to take a different approach, but I could do without his periodic acts of petulance and the whole "he's a scientist" thing wore on me about 15 minutes after it started.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

28 minutes ago, MaxEntropy said:

I hope he is not the new face of golf. I like that he is willing to take a different approach, but I could do without his periodic acts of petulance and the whole "he's a scientist" thing wore on me about 15 minutes after it started.

I thought about becoming the new face of golf myself.  Now Shanks on the tee, there goes Shanks wedge, look at Shanks drive! Didn’t you see Shanks putt? Holy Shanks with a shot from the rough. Plus they’d have to sensor me like Happy Gilmore at times when I’m yelling at myself. 😂😂😂

As said, he is the face of golf for this week. Just like DJ was unbeatable and the face of golf during the tour championship. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

This probably won't start a fire 😂

image.png.9b32b8c3f98b8a65347fa8464d1e41a6.png

Never have been a big Tiger fan, but the answer is a 

Spoiler

The Big Bang Theory Quote (About kidding me gifs) - CQ

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Glad to hear TopFlite went back to the original Gamer ball.  The new Gamer definitely wasn't as good and I stopped playing it.  
TopFlite Gamer was good option, an alternative to the ProV1, especially on sub-par course conditions, where you could easily lose a ball or two (without going in a hazard or out-of-bounds). At $17.50 a dozen/2 for $35 at Dicks, you can't go wrong

Titleist T200 Irons - 5i thru Gap Wedge - Stiff AMT Black

Callaway PARADYM X 9.0 with Hazrdous X Black 6.0 Stiff Shaft

Fairway Woods:  Callaway Maverick 3W & RazrX Black 5W - Stiff Flex

Rescue:  Apex 4 (22 degree )- Recoil 75H stiff flex 

Wedges: Titleist SM8 - 54 (D Grind) wedge flex; SM8 58(M grind) wedge flex

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X5.5

Ball: Titleist ProV1

Handicap: 0

Wasn't Morikawa the new face of golf?  And then it was DJ?  Now its Bryson?  Then it will be whoever wins the next major...

As an engineer/(amateur)scientist, it insults me to hear Bryson being called a scientist.  Just because you throw around some numbers that only make sense to you doesn't make you a scientist!  Just my opinion.

Just tap it in.  Lil' taparoo.

:honma: TW747 460 10.5° Vizard stiff

:adams-small: 4 Hybrid

:Sub70: 699 5-Aw; KBS Tour-V 90 Stiff

:cleveland-small: Tour Action 58°

:taylormade-small: Spider Interactive

1 hour ago, IDontGiveAchuck said:

Wasn't Morikawa the new face of golf?  And then it was DJ?  Now its Bryson?  Then it will be whoever wins the next major...

As an engineer/(amateur)scientist, it insults me to hear Bryson being called a scientist.  Just because you throw around some numbers that only make sense to you doesn't make you a scientist!  Just my opinion.

I cant stand Bryson, guy frigging drive me up the wall.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue Sub Zero 9* stiff

Wood: :adams-small: Tight Lies TI 3 wood stiff

Hybrid: :callaway-small: XR 3 19 deg stiff

Irons: :mizuno-small:  JPX 900 Tour std loft/lie

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 52,56,60

Putter: :odyssey-small: #7 Red

Ball: :srixon-small: Q-Star

12.9 Handicap

Comox Valley, B.C. 🇨🇦

The guy majored in physics in college. Just cause he didn't finish his degree doesn't mean he doesn't know what he's talking about when it comes to the physics and science he talks about. I'm also an engineer and I don't find it insulting at all. The guy has a deep-rooted interest in finding out how things work from a scientific perspective.

Personally, I think he brings a fresh perspective to golf and I'm glad we have him in the sport. He works extremely hard to find ways to play this game more efficiently and by all accounts he's been pretty successful at it. I understand his personality can rub people the wrong way but everything about his game or his body transformation that people have crapped on him about/told him he was out to lunch on, he's proven them wrong at every step. He's consistently demonstrated that he knows what he's doing and he's working with people that are helping him to achieve the things he wants to achieve.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

6 minutes ago, FrogginBullfish said:

The guy majored in physics in college. Just cause he didn't finish his degree doesn't mean he doesn't know what he's talking about when it comes to the physics and science he talks about. I'm also an engineer and I don't find it insulting at all. The guy has a deep-rooted interest in finding out how things work from a scientific perspective.

Personally, I think he brings a fresh perspective to golf and I'm glad we have him in the sport. He works extremely hard to find ways to play this game more efficiently and by all accounts he's been pretty successful at it. I understand his personality can rub people the wrong way but everything about his game or his body transformation that people have crapped on him about/told him he was out to lunch on, he's proven them wrong at every step. He's consistently demonstrated that he knows what he's doing and he's working with people that are helping him to achieve the things he wants to achieve.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Fair points.  I'm not debating his success as a golfer nor am I being critical of his physical makeover, I applaud him for that.

Just tap it in.  Lil' taparoo.

:honma: TW747 460 10.5° Vizard stiff

:adams-small: 4 Hybrid

:Sub70: 699 5-Aw; KBS Tour-V 90 Stiff

:cleveland-small: Tour Action 58°

:taylormade-small: Spider Interactive

Apparently I missed the memo that Bryson is the new face of golf. LOL

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

On 10/6/2020 at 9:01 AM, Quigleyd said:

As said, he is the face of golf for this week. Just like DJ was unbeatable and the face of golf during the tour championship. 

Key word--- This Week---- A good and true observation

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Bryson could be the new face of golf, but too early to tell.  At one point it looked like Speith could take the reins but Mono has nipped him in the butt.  It's cool to see how Bryson is trying something new and fitting the game to his style of play.  What impresses me about the guy is his short game.  He can hit the crap out of the ball, but to get up and down the way he does, is as impressive.  Can he hold up for 10 or 15 or 20yrs like a Tiger?  Going to be interesting to see.  It looks like both Justin Thomas & Colin Morikawa could emerge as the new faces.  Yet Dustin Johnson quietly continues to win each and every year and pad his Hall of Fame credentials.  What a diverse, eclectic and talented group of Pro's on PGA Tour! 

6 minutes ago, tdroma98 said:

Bryson could be the new face of golf, but too early to tell.  At one point it looked like Speith could take the reins but Mono has nipped him in the butt.  It's cool to see how Bryson is trying something new and fitting the game to his style of play.  What impresses me about the guy is his short game.  He can hit the crap out of the ball, but to get up and down the way he does, is as impressive.  Can he hold up for 10 or 15 or 20yrs like a Tiger?  Going to be interesting to see.  It looks like both Justin Thomas & Colin Morikawa could emerge as the new faces.  Yet Dustin Johnson quietly continues to win each and every year and pad his Hall of Fame credentials.  What a diverse, eclectic and talented group of Pro's on PGA Tour! 

I agree, I think golf is at an awesome spot with all the talent and quality players right now!

Side note, I've never heard of a Speith mono bout that caused his downfall...I'm intrigued @tdroma98, tell me more!

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

1 hour ago, ncwoz said:

I agree, I think golf is at an awesome spot with all the talent and quality players right now!

Side note, I've never heard of a Speith mono bout that caused his downfall...I'm intrigued @tdroma98, tell me more!

Back in I think 2018 Speith got hit with mono (Dec 2017 into 2018).  While he's recovered, he's not played the same level of greatness.  As a Yankee fan, Chuck Knobloch got hit with Mono & after returning the guy couldn't play 2nd base to save his life and he was an excellent 2nd baseman prior to getting mono.  I'm no doctor and Speith's play may not be related to effects of having contracted Mono, but he's not played the same caliber of golf since his recovery & return.  Hope he gets back into that great form we saw him play! 

On 10/9/2020 at 10:08 AM, tdroma98 said:

Back in I think 2018 Speith got hit with mono (Dec 2017 into 2018).  While he's recovered, he's not played the same level of greatness.  As a Yankee fan, Chuck Knobloch got hit with Mono & after returning the guy couldn't play 2nd base to save his life and he was an excellent 2nd baseman prior to getting mono.  I'm no doctor and Speith's play may not be related to effects of having contracted Mono, but he's not played the same caliber of golf since his recovery & return.  Hope he gets back into that great form we saw him play! 

Something else entered Jordan's life in 2018 which may be contributing to his on the course challenges.  That's my hypothesis anyway. 

5 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Something else entered Jordan's life in 2018 which may be contributing to his on the course challenges.  That's my hypothesis anyway. 

Same thing that happened to Rickie?  

Time has passed Rickie by, unfortunately.  He's not even the best player on tour from Oklahoma State anymore!!  Not even 2nd best.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

4 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Same thing that happened to Rickie?  

Time has passed Rickie by, unfortunately.  He's not even the best player on tour from Oklahoma State anymore!!  Not even 2nd best.

Yup.  There seems to be a correlation with Cupid's arrow and plummeting OGWR.

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

Yup.  There seems to be a correlation with Cupid's arrow and plummeting OGWR.

My ranking went up when I got married.  Full time golf partner!!  😁

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”