TESTERS WANTED! ×

New Shiny Stuff

fixyurdivot

Mmmm...  Recoils.  Hope you enjoy them as much as I am.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Would love to hear more about them. Have had graphite iron shafts in the brain for a while now and would love to hear for those recoil 95s play.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

I also have had graphite shafts on the brain for a while too. 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

Have been playing Recoil Shafts for over a year and like them.
Looking forward to your Review.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Heading to the range today with my SwingCaddie.  My source for these also provided the best feedback in my "Graphite or Steel" thread some time ago.  I'm nearly 60 and my shoulder, elbow, and hands have been barking at me on and off. Being more of a "sweeper/grass clipper" has likely helped me using steel.  When I was fitted for my current G410's, the fitter had a very limited selection of composite and the two we tried were no bueno.  Graphite shafts test part #1.

The Cobra King Forged Tour are described as a players CB offering some forgiveness. They are small.  Not PING Blueprint small, but definitely small.  My gut tells me this category club is my limit.  I test hit the BP's and, while I could get them launched OK, they simply demanded very close to sweetspot strikes.  My ability to game Players CB test part #2.

My fitting yielded a last minute decision to move from +1/2 to +1 inch shaft length.  It was one of those borderline decisions, but the numbers, at least on that day and with a 7i, said it was the right one.  Now, the more I read about how the industry has, arguably to the detriment of the player, chased the distance rabbit, with more aggressive loft and longer shafts, the more I'm thinking the +1 is incorrect. The Forged Tours are +1/4 and their lengths fall between standard and the +1/2 on my PE2's.  Effect of shorter shafts test part #3.

Yeah, I know, that's a poorly designed test.  But, I think it will offer some interesting insights into some questions I have and provide additional data that may help with my forthcoming full bag fitting.  If it all goes to hell, you'll see them back in the classifieds.  Conversely, if I stumbled onto something, there might be a set of G410's available 🙂.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I’ve been playing recoils in my irons for about two years now and I absolutely love them, in fact all of my wedges have recoil shafts in them as well I love the feel and control

I don’t think I could ever go back to steel shafts in my irons again

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

On 10/9/2020 at 7:16 AM, fixyurdivot said:

They are small.  Not PING Blueprint small, but definitely small.

OK, I may have to recant this comment 😮. These are WAY smaller than the G410's and probably not that much smaller than the BP's.

IMG_20201009_094315478.jpg.31d4634d5a7c0060abb818df65777b96.jpg

My plan yesterday was to spend time on the range first, then start my range session.  But when I showed up at 9:20, the pro came and unlocked the door saying we don't open until 10:00... forgot about the revised hours which started 10/1.  He said they had a mens and ladies league event starting at 10:00 and things were pretty booked thru noon but if I wanted to head out, I could get ahead of them and just find a spot at the turn.  So I grabbed the 4i, 6i, and 9i from the new set and headed out.

Each time I had those club yardages, I played an extra ball or two.  The first thing I noted about them is the weight - they feel considerably lighter.  We thought the swing weights would be pretty similar but their not.  The second thing I noted was that these launch a bit higher.  I was pretty happy that I was making good, solid strikes with them straight away.  Checking the strike marks after each hit, none were very far from the center.  On a couple holes, I hit both the FT and G410 iron.  In both cases, the FT's were shorter.

After playing 18 holes, much of it with two balls, I headed for the range.  I started off with the 6i, moved down to the 4i, then back to 7i to PW.  I went through (3) large buckets - hitting only irons.  I hit (12) balls with each iron from both sets and removed the three worst yardages from each.

image.png.00dc380838e0d9057ea6bbd1bf477483.png

I did catch more of the Forge Tours thin and suspect that associated with the length.  I didn't feel like I was having to really reach with them, but they were definitely different.  I did not capture all the swing speed data but the FT's were a wee bit slower.

IMG_20201009_104823838.jpg.e6ad0433a96acb6b88ab4c762b5ea372.jpg

As for the Recoils, they felt good but I wonder if they are still too light?  I could feel them load up/flex a bit more than the AWT's. After I finished the yardage test, I used the last dozen or so balls to try and shot shape the FT's.  I guess it's just my swing mechanics, but I really could not move these anymore left and right than the G410's.

I should have paid a bit more attention to differences in vibration but was too focused on just getting good strikes for a decent comparison.  Now that I know I can hit these, my plan is to just bag them for a couple rounds and see how they perform and whether my joints tell me anything.

Not a bad start and I think this is of some benefit.  More to come.

Was trying to assess the swing weights of the Forge Tour and G410 7i's and found this handy on-line tool.  Thought others might find it useful.

http://www.leaderboard.com/SWINGWEIGHT

Here's the calculation/result for the FT

image.png.df705777af67b8352791489d88b94e89.png

And for the G410

image.png.ae393a6a4166f077536271e5dac83b96.png

Interesting that the distance from end of shaft to "balance point" are virtually identical, but the .25 oz. increase in weight changes it from D0 to D2.  I never realized the scale was that fine and sensitive. 

I used the electronic scale my wife uses for packing orders/postage and a small diameter steel rod to find the balance point.  

23 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

OK, I may have to recant this comment 😮. These are WAY smaller than the G410's and probably not that much smaller than the BP's.

IMG_20201009_094315478.jpg.31d4634d5a7c0060abb818df65777b96.jpg

... Some perspective from a Players Iron only golfer. The G410's are  HUGE  heads so I would say the Forged Tours are not small by Players Iron standards but are actually some of the larger size heads in the PI category. My P760's are noticeably smaller and my T100-S perhaps a little smaller. I have always thought of the TF heads as medium size and the best of all worlds combining a slightly larger PI head with additional heel/toe forgiveness, a medium width sole and a thin top line.  

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

16 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Some perspective from a Players Iron only golfer. The G410's are  HUGE  heads so I would say the Forged Tours are not small by Players Iron standards but are actually some of the larger size heads in the PI category. My P760's are noticeably smaller and my T100-S perhaps a little smaller. I have always thought of the TF heads as medium size and the best of all worlds combining a slightly larger PI head with additional heel/toe forgiveness, a medium width sole and a thin top line.  

Wow!  That's nuts for me to think about trying to hit an even smaller club head.  Unfortunately, the range balls were a bit dirty and I forgot to bring my foot spray along.  But based on the smudges, I was hitting the entire FT line-up pretty close to center and no worse than the G410's. The initial data set supports the higher lofts and higher launch height. 

Interesting point is that I was going back through my email chain with the fitter in Bozeman and see that he stated he did have Recoil ES available (honestly don't even recall seeing that message), but chose not to have me try these because of my already high ball height.  He said they were a higher launching shaft and I did not need that help.

19 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Nice addition to the bag, my guess is you’ll leave the PING’s at home after you get the FT’s dialed in. 👍🏼

We shall see.  I do plan on bringing them and the G410's to the bag fitting... the poor soul (fitter) who draws my number has no idea what he's in for 🤣.

• 2 weeks later...

Having shown myself I can hit these pretty well/consistently, I chose to make the big leap and swapped out the G410's for the Cobra Forged Tours 😬.  On Monday, I played 18 holes at Madison Meadows in Ennis, MT.  It was a brisk, cool, and breezy but pleasant fall day.  In fact, with snow and 0F low temps in the forecast the rest of this week and through the weekend, they are closing the course for the season tomorrow 😞.  I shot an 89.

The Good

I really like the way these irons feel and especially the Recoil shafts.  The silver/grey finish makes these appear to be steel at first glance.  UST really belted this one out of the park. The swingweight is a wee bit less than my G410's and I have to remind myself about tempo (even more than normal - a constant nemesis for me).  I do think these being +1/4 vs. my +1 length is causing me to thin shots lower on the face. It would be interesting to see if these were fitted whether they would recommend longer shafts.

At address they look great, but I am definitely noticing the small head size.  Well struck shots feel and sound good but to be quite honest, about equal to my G410's.  

Certainly one round is not telling but I do think my hands and joints felt a little less fatigued than normal.  This is one of my key interests in this experiment.  When we get to AZ in a few weeks, I'll be doing more range time with these and that should tell me if the move to composite will help.

The Bad

I don't think I had as good a groove going Monday as I did at my first range session with these.  Toe hits (I had a handful this round) are definitely less forgiving than the G410's - but that is expected. I cleaned between shots and checked contact area after hits.  I was favoring low/toe side.

Perhaps most surprising to me was the yardage - particularly on well struck, center face shots.  I pulled irons I typically use on holes and came up short.  In those cases, I dropped another ball or two and tried again - same result. I started dropping back a club and that barely got me to target distance.  The range data above showed these were shorter, but not that much shorter... WOW did I struggle on the course.

These are launching higher than my irons (too high I dunno?) and that may be the issue.  I don't know if that is more shaft than loft influenced?

My impression at this point is that a "players" category iron is beyond my capability... but I'm not quite ready to throw in the towel.

• 1 month later...

After a few more range sessions, it looks like these aren't going to be an viable option 😞.  I am going to take the 6i along to my fitting as I discussed my player profile/history with the fitter, to include this little experiment, and he's suggesting we capture some data from it.  

6 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

After a few more range sessions, it looks like these aren't going to be an viable option 😞.  I am going to take the 6i along to my fitting as I discussed my player profile/history with the fitter, to include this little experiment, and he's suggesting we capture some data from it.  

... I applaud you for taking the risk of moving to an iron the might reward you with more accuracy and control but also might be more than you can handle. You never know until you try. Unless you need max forgiveness, and some do, finding the sweet spot for your skill means moving out of your comfort zone. That can mean trying something more forgiving or trying something more demanding. Sounds like you are zeroing in on what will be the best irons for your swing/game. 👍

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

1 hour ago, chisag said:

... I applaud you for taking the risk of moving to an iron the might reward you with more accuracy and control but also might be more than you can handle. You never know until you try. Unless you need max forgiveness, and some do, finding the sweet spot means moving out of your comfort zone. That can mean trying something more forgiving or trying something more demanding. Sounds like you are zeroing in on what will be the best irons for your swing/game. 👍

Thanks Sam. I'm glad to have this data point and think it will aid in the bag fitting.  The pisser is that I really love the look of the Cobra's and the Recoil shafts... but who knows, maybe something stands out that puts me in the exact predicament I'm hoping for 😁.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/6/2020 at 6:07 PM, HardcoreLooper said:

Mmmm...  Recoils.  Hope you enjoy them as much as I am.

Me too

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

So you’ve played ONE round, and a few trips to the range? And already to throw in the towel on them? 

personally, I’d give them another 4-5 rounds before making any decisions. It’s a completely different club than hose earth mover g410’s were. Give yourself a chance to get used to them is what I would do...

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

10 hours ago, Sluggo42 said:

So you’ve played ONE round, and a few trips to the range? And already to throw in the towel on them? 

personally, I’d give them another 4-5 rounds before making any decisions. It’s a completely different club than hose earth mover g410’s were. Give yourself a chance to get used to them is what I would do...

"Hose earth mover G410's..." LOL. So I can pretty much leave you off the perspective buyer list if they end up in the classified's? 🤣

My gut and, albeit limited testing, tells me I just do not have a strike zone consistency needed for this category club.  I do hit them pretty well and love the feel.  I think it's important that we don't let the vanity of wanting to bag a player-ish category club get in the way of the best match for ones capability.  Good news is that I spoke with my fitter at TrueSpec and he wants me to bring the 6i along with my game bag. We'll be able to compare specs of the two 6i's and get some LM data.  

Headed to Scottsdale tomorrow morning.  Nervous as a cat in a dog park. 😬

Spotted at Range this morning Image1608047425.674276.jpg

Rick

Left Hand, 

Spotted at Range this morning Image1608047425.674276.thumb.jpg.0b512cc6e01a3e3a8c089588a08d3233.jpg

Did you hunt them down and try some clubs????

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Did you hunt them down and try some clubs????

They weren’t setup yet or I would have taken pics. Usually it’s appointment only, thru The Villages Golf Mgt. cost is $25 for a fitting w $25 off if you purchase club/clubs of any brand.

Rick

Left Hand,