TESTERS WANTED! ×

EXPERIMENTAL! – (Radical Adjustable Weighting System Concept)

GolfSpy_X

• SPY VIP

drawing-weight-tech.jpg

Experimental Adjustable Weighting System

Here is an exclusive inside look of an experimental concept drawing for a new adjustable weighting system.  I thought this one was kind of interesting…there is a pivot point located in the center of the head which can be swung from the heel to toe.  The rest of the design is a bit too radical…but then again so are a large % of the drivers coming out nowadays.  So you never know…you might just see something like this hitting the shelves from a major OEM sometime soon.

There are going to be more and more radical designs being pushed through in the next few years that will truly shock you guys.  I have seen some stuff on the drawing board from some of the major OEM's lately that are pretty creative and wild.  There are a couple right now that are close to coming out of the prototype stage that are pretty shocking.  But how many of these radical designs will actually provide any benefit to the golfer is the real question.

“Shock & Awe” Driver Technology

Lately…many of the major OEM's seem to be resorting to more of a “Shock & Awe” type marketing plan when designing their clubs.  This way it is almost impossible not to be drawn to their product when you walk through your local golf shop.  But unfortunately…more times then not there is little to no benefit to the advertised technology.  But the guys with the big dollars will do their best to figure out a way  to make you think that their is no way your game can improve without it.

#TruthDigest

It is amazing how radical designs are getting these days. The question is do you really think that a driver this orthodox will be able to move in the market? It would have to be the straightest and longest driver in the world and be able to back it up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • SPY VIP

I am not a fan of adjustment. There I said it. For me it erodes my confidence. Getting fitted is one thing. The club fitter knows what is best for me.

However, if I have the chance to mess with settings, that little voice will ask if it set right during my backswing. Adjusting it with a pro to fit my swing is one thing, but then

contemplating changing settings to course conditions is an extra thought that takes away from my game.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Wilson prototype? So, what's exactly going on internally with that pivot point that you can adjust the weight?

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

Kind of like this from Tom Wishon.

firsts_image012.jpg

Yeah, that was similar to what I was envisioning in my head but was looking for confirmation.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Very interesting. What do you think about Powerbuilts approach with their Air Force 1 Drivers?

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

Very interesting. What do you think about Powerbuilts approach with their Air Force 1 Drivers?

I try not to think about Powerbuilt much to be honest.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

I think the nitrogen is a gimmick, air is 78% nitrogen, but the fact that it is compressed air is smart. Personally I have not found any distance gain, but that's just me.

• SPY VIP

I think the nitrogen is a gimmick, air is 78% nitrogen, but the fact that it is compressed air is smart. Personally I have not found any distance gain, but that's just me.

Nitrogen gas would make more sense as it is far more inert than "air". Compressed air would contain oxygen that could oxidize the club from the inside out. Helium, a noble gas, would be perhaps the best gas because it is even less reactive than nitrogen.

Also can you explain why it is smart if you did not find distance gain. I am having trouble understanding your logic.

Volvo Intorqueo

Friend of mine won one, he loves it over his Nike Driver, said it added about 20 yards on his drives. I will get a chance to hit it next time I play with him(golf you perverts!)

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

That is a "radical" design, and I think Batman would approve.

Any reason why the pivot point weighting would be better/more effective than MWT or FastTrack? Or is it just the latest variation on a theme?

Can't imagine that it would be better or more effective. I do recall that Tom addressed the driver c/c issue (his was @ 400,iirc) but with the advent of newer materials perhaps they have now found a way to get to the 460 range.

BTW - Toms design designation for his driver was the 715 and a search on his forum will yield you lots of info on the pros/cons of the design.

As to the Powerbilt, which I find intriguing, there have been a number of positive responses on one forum in particular (wr...) and Leith Anderson has found it effective and the numbers proving out on a trackman.

rob

I Can't Help It If I'm Lucky...

Nitrogen gas would make more sense as it is far more inert than "air". Compressed air would contain oxygen that could oxidize the club from the inside out. Helium, a noble gas, would be perhaps the best gas because it is even less reactive than nitrogen.

Also can you explain why it is smart if you did not find distance gain. I am having trouble understanding your logic.

Thank you, Bill Nye.

Friend of mine won one, he loves it over his Nike Driver, said it added about 20 yards on his drives. I will get a chance to hit it next time I play with him(golf you perverts!)

20 yards is a lot. Is it possible that he was just badly fit to his Nike driver? I have a hard time believing that someone could pick up 20 yards with a club that still meets COR requirements.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Scientifically it seems to be a good idea, it just didn't work for me. Maybe the simulator was mis calibrated of the shaft was wrong for me.

• SPY VIP

Thank you, Bill Nye.

20 yards is a lot. Is it possible that he was just badly fit to his Nike driver? I have a hard time believing that someone could pick up 20 yards with a club that still meets COR requirements.

Scientifically it seems to be a good idea, it just didn't work for me. Maybe the simulator was mis calibrated of the shaft was wrong for me.

Why would you demo the driver with the wrong shaft?

So lets assume that increasing internal air pressure increases the hardness of the head. And in one has the right shaft and a non-broken machine to measure results, then the increasing distance can be attributed to the hardness.

Wouldn't this also relate to decreased feel in the driver? Uniform hardness from the pressure seems like it would make all face positions feel the same.

Volvo Intorqueo

Why would you demo the driver with the wrong shaft?

So lets assume that increasing internal air pressure increases the hardness of the head. And in one has the right shaft and a non-broken machine to measure results, then the increasing distance can be attributed to the hardness.

Wouldn't this also relate to decreased feel in the driver? Uniform hardness from the pressure seems like it would make all face positions feel the same.

I think that they use extra internal pressure to make the face thinner, so you get more power from that too. I don't know if it has an effect on feel.

Note: Does anyone know if these are conforming? If they are, then it would seem like the nitrogen and pressure would do nothing, because increasing internal pressure would raise COR, which already has a limit that most (if not all) drivers approach.

I think that they use extra internal pressure to make the face thinner, so you get more power from that too. I don't know if it has an effect on feel.

Note: Does anyone know if these are conforming? If they are, then it would seem like the nitrogen and pressure would do nothing, because increasing internal pressure would raise COR, which already has a limit that most (if not all) drivers approach.

Per USGA / Conforming -

Powerbilt AirForce 1 - 2.6mm head = 9.5, 10.5, 12.5

I am pretty sure a 2.4mm head is available as well but it is not listed on either list

rob

I Can't Help It If I'm Lucky...

Per USGA / Conforming -

Powerbilt AirForce 1 - 2.6mm head = 9.5, 10.5, 12.5

I am pretty sure a 2.4mm head is available as well but it is not listed on either list

rob

I seem to remember a Powerbilt commercial with Fuzzy Zoeler where they mentioned a 2.4 and even 2.2 mm face.

Maybe they don't make them anymore, maybe because it was non conforming.

Hi all...

Regarding movable weights and technologies as such- more than happy to try anything out there on the market I can get my hands on, would love to believe that if I could repeat the same swing after moving weights about my ball flight would change, but after tinkering with my Taylormade r7 CGB Max limited for about 8 months now and struggling to notice any difference between my ball flights wondering how relevant it is to higher handicappers (I play off about 15) who don't have such a repeatable swing?

Not too sure on this whole Nitrogen thing! Can't imagine it working? Would love to be proved wrong though!

Any views?

• SPY VIP

Hi all...

Regarding movable weights and technologies as such- more than happy to try anything out there on the market I can get my hands on, would love to believe that if I could repeat the same swing after moving weights about my ball flight would change, but after tinkering with my Taylormade r7 CGB Max limited for about 8 months now and struggling to notice any difference between my ball flights wondering how relevant it is to higher handicappers (I play off about 15) who don't have such a repeatable swing?

Not too sure on this whole Nitrogen thing! Can't imagine it working? Would love to be proved wrong though!

Any views?

Hey Phil. Check the thread on adjustable clubs. Exactly what is being discussed there.

http://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/567-adjustability/

Volvo Intorqueo

• 2 months later...

I believe you are missing the whole point. Nitrogen was injected into the clubhead cavity to provide a constant force behind the clubface so that the clubface could be made "thinner", thus allowing the Trampoline effect to occur when the clubface hits the golfball. USGA limits test the trampoline effect at a 110 mph swing speed. For those of us that do not have that swing speed, the Powerbilt Air Force One provides the trampoline effect at less than 110 mph due to the thinner face of the driver. That is what yields the extra yardage.

Thanks Powerbilt!

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Archived