TESTERS WANTED! ×

My Golf Spy Ball Lab Report-Kirkland Performance +

This is a long awaited one and sure to have a good discussion.  Share your thoughts below

https://mygolfspy.com/costco-kirkland-performance-three-piece/

an image of costco kirkland perforance+ 3-piece golf balls

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Quote from the article

While that may sound like a bargain,  it represents a 33-percent upcharge over the retail price, making it one of the lowest-quality balls we’ve measured.

Well I guess we can put to rest the claim as a "poor man's ProV" to rest now!

You get what you pay for would seem to sum it up nicely.  Still, for many players, I doubt the physical consistencies would be noticeable on the course... and many will still factor price high in their decision.  I am a bit surprised they had that much concentricity problem.  And, it makes me wonder if other balls produced at this facility will also show less than stellar results.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

7 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

You get what you pay for would seem to sum it up nicely.  Still, for many players, I doubt the physical consistencies would be noticeable on the course... and many will still factor price high in their decision.  I am a bit surprised they had that much concentricity problem.  And, it makes me wonder if other balls produced at this facility will also show less than stellar results.

It's noticeable to me.  I still have a year's supply of the original Ksigs that I am playing now.  Last year I bought a box of the 3-piece balls and they do not perform like the originals; they certainly don't feel the same!!

I thought that Costco was buying a ball company in China and monitoring ball quality.  Have they done that yet?  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

52 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

IMO a lot of players would just be more willing to chalk up a bad result to their swing than the ball. I certainly think the issues noted would be apparent to more experienced players who are used to a certain level of performance.

I've never played Cut golf balls, but I have heard a lot of negatives regarding quality and consistency. They also didn't fare particularly well in the ball test last year - they were the only two balls rated as "Poor" and were specifically noted for quality issues. Again, it's a get what you pay for scenario (I'm sure Cut isn't spending a ton for extra quality checks), but it could also be indicative of the general quality that comes from that factory.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

I probably should have said "for the average, non MGS, player".... we are a golf stuff educated, discerning group. 😁

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I play the 3-piece K-Sigs and have been satisfied with their performance. I'm surprised that today's review was so negative when they were rated "Best Value" just last year. I've never played Cut branded balls, but it's also surprising to read the Snell Red was manufactured in the same Chinese facility.

*sigh* Wish I'd have purchased a gross of the original 4-piece K-Sigs

My :1590477705_SunMountain: C-130 cart bag currently includes;

Driver: :srixon-small: z565 10.5*, Miyazaki Kaula Mizu 6 S-Flex
Fairways:  :callaway-small: X-Hot 15* & 18*, Project X PXv R-Flex
Irons: :benhogan-small:Apex Plus, 4-PW, Apex S4-Flex
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CG10; 50*, 54*, 58*, Dynamic Gold W-flex 

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot Pro Blade #2
Grips: Golf Pride MCC-Plus 4 & Lamkin UTx
Ball: Kirkland Signature 3-Piece 

I think this is very fair. Even with some consistency issues how do you beat a $1 per for urethane? I wouldn't play this as my everyday gamer, but as a fall/spring or bad swing day backup I think it would be just fine.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

MG Golf's C4 is a 4-piece ball I'm tempted to try for only $19.99 per dozen. It's gotten good reviews by our fellow, discerning MGS golfers. Has the MGS staff scrutinized these yet with their testing?

MG Golf C4, Senior Ball, the Best at a Discount

I was honestly surprised to all the negative reactions to the ball after the test. It’s one thing if these were already selling at $30/dozen, but at HALF of that, I still think it’s an unbelievable deal.

Call me a conspiracy theorist, but have there been tests, on MGS or anywhere else, that show the performance issues caused by “bad balls”? I’m not so sure that the majority of defects in a batch of balls would be noticeable to anyone but the tour pro. 

:mizuno-small: ST 200 9.5°, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 S

:mizuno-small: ST 200 3w 15°, Diamana S+ 60 S

:srixon-small: Z H85 3h 19°, Project X Hzrdus Black Hybrid 6.0

:taylormade-small: P770 (2017) 4-PW, KBS Tour FLT 120 S

:vokey-small: SM8 50.08F, 54.14F, 58.08M, KBS Tour S

:ping-small: Sigma 2 Fetch 34"

:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

I was honestly surprised to all the negative reactions to the ball after the test. It’s one thing if these were already selling at $30/dozen, but at HALF of that, I still think it’s an unbelievable deal.
Call me a conspiracy theorist, but have there been tests, on MGS or anywhere else, that show the performance issues caused by “bad balls”? I’m not so sure that the majority of defects in a batch of balls would be noticeable to anyone but the tour pro. 

Last year MGS was testing golf balls via robot testing. The testing team noted several balls had erratic performance so they cut them open and noted the cores weren’t centered.

For years people floated or spun balls to find these outliers to avoid using them. Based on that there must have been some testing to understand the impact of these balls being out of balance.

I personally haven’t seen any testing that took a known “bad” ball and did a deep dive into performance evaluation. Based on that, it is impossible to know the extent of performance impact and if the golfer would be able to decipher if the issue was swing or ball.

If it didn’t cause a performance issue, why don’t the manufacturers just come out and say it isn’t a big deal.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

6 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Last year MGS was testing golf balls via robot testing. The testing team noted several balls had erratic performance so they cut them open and noted the cores weren’t centered.

For years people floated or spun balls to find these outliers to avoid using them. Based on that there must have been some testing to understand the impact of these balls being out of balance.

I personally haven’t seen any testing that took a known “bad” ball and did a deep dive into performance evaluation. Based on that, it is impossible to know the extent of performance impact and if the golfer would be able to decipher if the issue was swing or ball.

If it didn’t cause a performance issue, why don’t the manufacturers just come out and say it isn’t a big deal.

I’d imagine the optics of saying that their balls lacked quality control but still performed well are bad. I’d just be interested to see the tangible performance differences. If you gave 10 golfers perfect and off-center cores, how does it affect distance, spin, consistency, etc. in their wedges, irons, and woods? Just a thought.

:mizuno-small: ST 200 9.5°, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 S

:mizuno-small: ST 200 3w 15°, Diamana S+ 60 S

:srixon-small: Z H85 3h 19°, Project X Hzrdus Black Hybrid 6.0

:taylormade-small: P770 (2017) 4-PW, KBS Tour FLT 120 S

:vokey-small: SM8 50.08F, 54.14F, 58.08M, KBS Tour S

:ping-small: Sigma 2 Fetch 34"

:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

21 minutes ago, adamflowers said:

I’d imagine the optics of saying that their balls lacked quality control but still performed well are bad. I’d just be interested to see the tangible performance differences. If you gave 10 golfers perfect and off-center cores, how does it affect distance, spin, consistency, etc. in their wedges, irons, and woods? Just a thought.

Totally agree.  Just how much of a core being inconsistent would effect ball flight and performance. I guess the best way would be to hit 50 balls with a robot and then collect the outliers and cut them open to see just how much an off center core will move the ball off center of the fairway.  Is 1mm off being concentric going to move the ball 10 yards off? I think this would be a valid test to show playability of the ball. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

47 minutes ago, cnosil said:

True story

Ben Hogan tested the roundness of his golf balls with an O-ring and spun them in a bathtub with epsom salt for quality control. He was a MacGregor staffer, but refused to play their Tourney ball due to QC issues. Instead, he gamed Titleist and Spalding's Dot. 

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Richard_82 said:

Saw a new Kirkland Signature 3-piece ball at Costco yesterday (Raleigh, NC).  Any news on this? 

The box says it's new and improved. Sorry, didn't grab a pic with my phone, and it's not on their website yet.   

Pic of the new box, although the ball appears to have the same side stamp. 

A84B58CD-6396-4373-98AF-CE255D639670.jpeg.09cf93b39d01d91b910c6c526bd5a990.jpeg

:titelist-small:  TS2 9.5

:titelist-small:  909F2 15.5

:titelist-small:  690.CB 3-PW

:titelist-small:  Vokey SM5 50, 56

image.png.e50b7e7a9b18feff4720d7b223a2013d.png   Works Versa 1W

Tried the K-Sig last year and it was unremarkable to me. If you like it, great. Not knocking anybody who uses it. Just did not like the feel and that is how I usually judge a ball.

:cobra-small: Fly Z+ UST Proforce V2 Black

Golfsmith Jet Stream 3W UST Proforce V2

:titelist-small: 915 H3 Diamana Red

:titelist-small: 915 H4 Diamana Red

:benhogan-small: Apex Edge Pro UST Recoil Dart

:titelist-small: Vokey SM6 50F/54S/58S Aerotech SteelFiber

:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach 11S

:titelist-small: Pro V1

:skycaddie:

Bag Boy Chiller

Bag Boy Quad XL

Pic of the v2 ball on left and the v1 on right. Both balls had a slightly off center core.EB3D3683-F6F6-4367-B02B-FCBDCA383337.jpeg.d52be43e2287719915425f14ab99a523.jpeg

Driver: Titleist TSr 2 @ 10.5º (Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore TR Stiff)

4 Wood: Titleist TSr 2 @ 14.5º

Driving Iron: Ping iCrossover 17º (Project X HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX 80 Stiff)

Irons: Taylormade Stealth 4-P (Fujikura Ventus Blue Graphite 7 Stiff)

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 48º, 52º, 56º (TT Dynamic Gold Tour Issue)

Putter: Taylormade GT Max

Ball: Titleist ProV1X, MaxFli Tour X 2023, MaxFli Tour 2023

Tested: Tommy Armour Impact No. 3 (LINK)

Tested: Titleist Prototype Balls (LINK)

Tested: Stitch Golf SL2 Golf Bag (LINK)

Unofficially Tested: Odyssey One Black (LINK)

Shot Tracking App: Golf Pad GPS

• 4 weeks later...

I am not anywhere talented enough to be able to feel or see the difference in golf balls.

I have shot 78 and 98 the same week with a Titleist Pro-V1

I have also shot 3 straight rounds under 85 with this ball, I shot my only par 72 round with a Titleist DT (that was in 1988) like I have said before, it has improved my game since the worry of losing a $3 plus golf ball is not in my mind. 

DRIVER: default_cobra-small.jpg.125f3712aad21ad9f7ca2c672e34a299.jpg  Cobra F-8 set at 10.5,  Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 60 (R) 44 1/2 "

3 & 5 WOOD: default_callaway-small.jpg.a58e7c6760b71a9eb95d385ecc5d2200.jpg Callaway XR-16, Fujikura Speeder Evolution 565 Red (R) 

IRONS 5-SW: default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-700, 2 upright, std loft  Alta CB (R) + 1/2"

HYBRID 3-4:  default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-410, 1 upright,  Alta CB 70 Red (R) + 1/2"

PUTTER: Byron Experimental GSS

On 10/9/2020 at 8:39 AM, adamflowers said:

So its kinda tough to hit a ball after it’s been cut in half 😜

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2020 at 7:14 PM, MadMex said:

I have shot 78 and 98 the same week with a Titleist Pro-V1

That had to result in heavy drinking if the 98 followed the 78. Quite the variance.

On 12/6/2020 at 8:16 AM, J.B. TexasEx said:

That had to result in heavy drinking if the 98 followed the 78. Quite the variance.

Beers all weighted the same,,,, the main reason for the variance is due to LOFT,,,, Lack Of Fricking Talent

DRIVER: default_cobra-small.jpg.125f3712aad21ad9f7ca2c672e34a299.jpg  Cobra F-8 set at 10.5,  Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 60 (R) 44 1/2 "

3 & 5 WOOD: default_callaway-small.jpg.a58e7c6760b71a9eb95d385ecc5d2200.jpg Callaway XR-16, Fujikura Speeder Evolution 565 Red (R) 

IRONS 5-SW: default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-700, 2 upright, std loft  Alta CB (R) + 1/2"

HYBRID 3-4:  default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-410, 1 upright,  Alta CB 70 Red (R) + 1/2"

PUTTER: Byron Experimental GSS

So its kinda tough to hit a ball after it’s been cut in half

I once played a round in GA where the temp dropped 40* in an hour as a cold front moved through. We were on a Par 3, when I hit my ball, 1/2 went into the pond in front of the green and the other half landed on the green. With the storm fastly approaching, we ditched the round for safer surroundings.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
Cobra F8 (12*)w/ Mitsubishi Tense ck Blue Regular; 3W & 5W Cobra King F8 w/ Mitsubishi Tense ck Blue Regular shafts; Tour Edge CBX119 22* Hybrid w/Project X Evenflo Regular shaft; Wilson Staff D-7 5-PW + GW + SW w/UST Mamiya Recoil 460 Regular graphite shafts; Cleveland RTX Zipcore LW(58*) w/DG Spinner shaft. Putter: 33” Slotline SSi 693 Bag: Cobra Ultralight Cart bag, Peaccoat Blue.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

• 3 weeks later...

I am currently using the Kirkland 3 Piece (V 2.0 or whatever the most recent release is called) and have had pretty good results up until the last box. Out of the last box I purchased I've had two balls which felt, sounded and performed VERY poorly off my driver (to the point that my buddy standing on the tee box thought my driver had cracked, the sound was totally dead but also higher pitched than normal if that makes sense). My normal drive is around 250 total, these two drives finished at about 205 (with a pretty normal fade but they just died and fell out of the air, nothing felt strange in my swing). In one case I had used the ball for two holes prior and it felt fine...  I have been through a couple of boxes prior to this without ever seeing this, so not sure what the deal is. I'm wondering if it could be caused by the off-center cores found in the MGS test being lined up and making contact with the face of my driver. Given the price of them, not a huge deal, just didn't know if anyone else had experienced this.

Edited by SCJ1994

Driver: Cobra-Radspeed XB 9* (Playing 10*) | HZRDUS RDX Blue-Stiff

3 Wood: Callaway-Mavrik 15* | Evenflow-Stiff

5 Wood: Callaway-Big Bertha Alpha 815 | Fujikura Speeder Evolution

4i-PW: Taylormade-Rocketbladez

Wedges: 50* Cleveland CBX Zipcore | 54* Cleveland RTX Zipcore, 59* TA Black

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab 1