TESTERS WANTED! ×

Spalding SD Tour Balls

I'm wondering what experiences other people have had with the Spalding SD Tour and SD Tour X ball sold at Walmart for $25/dozen. I've bought a dozen of each now and have been impressed to say the least. I found both to be long with the non-X version being longer for me and the spin on the non-X version is tremendous. The amount of spin and penetrating trajectory I get with my mid irons on the non-X ball is what caught me off-guard. I was on a 175 yard par 3 last night and hit two 6-irons and they both did a short hop and stopped hard. I'm a more of a sweeper and getting my 6-iron to hop and stop is something I've rarely done in the past. I'm not saying my 6-iron shots just run off greens but being able to hold the ball to less than 5 feet from the landing spot is unusual.

For reference, I played the Snell MTB-X all of last year and liked it but I switched away from it because it seems the ball exacerbated sidespin on slight mishits. I've tried the Z-Stars and generally liked them but they definitely seemed shorter off my driver. I recently went through a dozen of Vice Pro+ and really liked them and thought they were similar to the SD Tours but didn't spin quite as much. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have never tried them, but Spalding used to make the Hogan Apex Tour, and it was a solid ball. They have been at it for a while, so I would have to imagine they aren't garbage. I'll pick some up and give them a try, always fun to be surprised by something most people don't look twice at. Thanks for sharing. 

Titleist 975J

Callaway Hawkeye 3 Wood

Ben Hogan CFT Hybrid, Apex Plus Irons

Cleveland 588 Wedges

Scotty Newport 2 Mid Slant Pro Platinum