Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Wishon Clubs

fixyurdivot

21 hours ago, Bang60 said:

I've been looking for a set of 771s but not found as yet except there's a set of left's no good to me, thinking about buying a 919thi driver but it's 11deg. I've heard Tom talking about lowering the loft by 4degrees, have you tried doing this?

No, I haven't. I didn't think I would go as far as 4 degrees though. 2 degrees is what I had in mind. I will play around with that over the winter. Check on Ebay occasionally for a used set of 771's. They pop up now and then. I paid only $245 for a set 4-GW in nice condition. It's a steal IMO. 

On 11/25/2022 at 8:23 AM, braveheart said:

I have Wishon 771cs irons in my bag. I’ll contend that they are one of the most forgiving cavity back irons out there. 

Agreed. I've had 771's for 6-7 years now and haven't found anything definitively better. Because I had a large gift card to use at a local shop I decided to get fit for a new set of irons last year. Ended up with Ping G425's. I can honestly say that loft for loft (771CS 6 iron is 30 degrees vs Ping 7 iron is 30 degrees) there is little if any difference in distance between them. The 771's feel so much better. The 425's are like hitting rocks by comparison. I just picked up another set of older but great shape 771's on eBay. I'm going re-shaft them just to play around with them a bit.

4 hours ago, Tallwood88 said:

No, I haven't. I didn't think I would go as far as 4 degrees though. 2 degrees is what I had in mind. I will play around with that over the winter. Check on Ebay occasionally for a used set of 771's. They pop up now and then. I paid only $245 for a set 4-GW in nice condition. It's a steal IMO. 

Agreed. I've had 771's for 6-7 years now and haven't found anything definitively better. Because I had a large gift card to use at a local shop I decided to get fit for a new set of irons last year. Ended up with Ping G425's. I can honestly say that loft for loft (771CS 6 iron is 30 degrees vs Ping 7 iron is 30 degrees) there is little if any difference in distance between them. The 771's feel so much better. The 425's are like hitting rocks by comparison. I just picked up another set of older but great shape 771's on eBay. I'm going re-shaft them just to play around with them a bit.

Sorry was talking about the loft on the Driver 919thi, it's a 2012 model but you can bend the hosel upto 4deg? 

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

Thought I would jump in here since I've known and worked with Tom Wishon for over 25 years.  I can see why his products and designs for not popular for everyone, but I'm not sure how anyone could question his experience and credibility as a designer, or his expertise on materials and manufacturing techniques, and the few sources who actually do the manufacturing in China.  Sure a lot of the big brand manufacturers have some shiny new objects, fancy colors and finishes, but dig in behind the cosmetics, and the tour player sponsorships, and million dollar marketing campaigns, and what do you have?  The same kind of designs and materials that Wishon has been turning out for a long time.  Tom is retired now and not turning out designs like he used to, but still releasing a new design every year or so.  He's done a lot with variable center of gravity in his most recent designs.  The EQ1 was a huge improvement over the original Sterling design.  They just released a new forged iron, and a new wedge design, and a new driver is coming before the end of the year.  Tom has been loyal to the niche world of clubmakers for his entire career.  He's given us a professional quality line of products that perform side by side with any brand name on the market.  Obviously I have the utmost respect for Tom Wishon.  

One other comment that I saw in this thread about club fitting being a bit of a scam.  What??  Clubfitting involves a lot of subjectivity and personal preferences, and no clubfitter has access to every brand of heads and shafts out there.  But thanks to some folks like Tom, we have some common measurements that can help bridge that "data" gap and brush away the marketing hype to get some common comparisons.  And some things are just common sense.  And having a set of clubs that fit you is as important has having a pair of shoes that fit you.  If you wear a size 12, you wouldn't feel very comfortable in a size 10.  I agree, there are a lot of, let's just say inexperienced folks fitting people for clubs.  Nowadays, any big box store with a launch monitor calls themselves clubfitters.  Knowing how to read the numbers off the monitor is one thing, knowing how they play into a club or shaft selection is quite another.  Those launch monitors don't come with a club fitting instruction sheet.  You may not have liked the clubs that were recommended to you by a clubfitter, and there are lots of reasons for that, but don't discount the value of having a professional, experienced clubfitter helping you with your selections.  Every tour pro has someone helping them with equipment selections.

Thanks for the forum, and the opportunity to share some thoughts.

Tony 

_SmallLogo.jpg.86a70ece6a91a89d431bdc68e968bf8d.jpg

6 hours ago, TSH Golf said:

Thought I would jump in here since I've known and worked with Tom Wishon for over 25 years.  I can see why his products and designs for not popular for everyone, but I'm not sure how anyone could question his experience and credibility as a designer, or his expertise on materials and manufacturing techniques, and the few sources who actually do the manufacturing in China.  Sure a lot of the big brand manufacturers have some shiny new objects, fancy colors and finishes, but dig in behind the cosmetics, and the tour player sponsorships, and million dollar marketing campaigns, and what do you have?  The same kind of designs and materials that Wishon has been turning out for a long time.  Tom is retired now and not turning out designs like he used to, but still releasing a new design every year or so.  He's done a lot with variable center of gravity in his most recent designs.  The EQ1 was a huge improvement over the original Sterling design.  They just released a new forged iron, and a new wedge design, and a new driver is coming before the end of the year.  Tom has been loyal to the niche world of clubmakers for his entire career.  He's given us a professional quality line of products that perform side by side with any brand name on the market.  Obviously I have the utmost respect for Tom Wishon.  

One other comment that I saw in this thread about club fitting being a bit of a scam.  What??  Clubfitting involves a lot of subjectivity and personal preferences, and no clubfitter has access to every brand of heads and shafts out there.  But thanks to some folks like Tom, we have some common measurements that can help bridge that "data" gap and brush away the marketing hype to get some common comparisons.  And some things are just common sense.  And having a set of clubs that fit you is as important has having a pair of shoes that fit you.  If you wear a size 12, you wouldn't feel very comfortable in a size 10.  I agree, there are a lot of, let's just say inexperienced folks fitting people for clubs.  Nowadays, any big box store with a launch monitor calls themselves clubfitters.  Knowing how to read the numbers off the monitor is one thing, knowing how they play into a club or shaft selection is quite another.  Those launch monitors don't come with a club fitting instruction sheet.  You may not have liked the clubs that were recommended to you by a clubfitter, and there are lots of reasons for that, but don't discount the value of having a professional, experienced clubfitter helping you with your selections.  Every tour pro has someone helping them with equipment selections.

Thanks for the forum, and the opportunity to share some thoughts.

Tony 

Thanks Tony, I started playing serious golf 35 years ago in Sydney and while I got to 9cap that was because I played 5games a week. I had 2 Pro's that I worked with but unfortunately never suggested I learn about changing grips never mind swingweighting etc, I've watched alot of Wishon video on utube and have learned to have ago and I believe with those videos I do a reasonable job customizing my clubs thanks to Tom Wishon and this "MGS blog" and the many who contributed their respective trial and errors.

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

On 11/28/2022 at 3:28 PM, Bang60 said:

Thanks Tony, I started playing serious golf 35 years ago in Sydney and while I got to 9cap that was because I played 5games a week. I had 2 Pro's that I worked with but unfortunately never suggested I learn about changing grips never mind swingweighting etc, I've watched alot of Wishon video on utube and have learned to have ago and I believe with those videos I do a reasonable job customizing my clubs thanks to Tom Wishon and this "MGS blog" and the many who contributed their respective trial and errors.

Yeah, pretty amazing what just a change in grip or swingweight can do for the feel of your club.  Expecially with some of these new Jumbo size grips.  A lot of folks with arthitis find those a game changer.  Good luck with your game! 

_SmallLogo.jpg.86a70ece6a91a89d431bdc68e968bf8d.jpg

4 hours ago, TSH Golf said:

Yeah, pretty amazing what just a change in grip or swingweight can do for the feel of your club.  Expecially with some of these new Jumbo size grips.  A lot of folks with arthitis find those a game changer.  Good luck with your game! 

This was a game changer for me learning there's so much more to GOLF, and I'm bitter those Pro's didn't say hey you could learn about this...