TESTERS WANTED! ×

Adding Hybrids to my Bag

I'm looking for advice on adding hybrids to my bag.  Should I add hybrids based loft to a consistent gapping between clubs or match the hybrid number to the iron I'm replacing (example 4 hybrid to replace 4 iron).

Backstory:  I'm getting back into golf after a 6 year layoff.  I went for a proper full bag fitting but unfortunately due to supply and communication issues i wasn't able to fill the gap I had between my 5 iron and Driver.  I have since sourced a 3 wood and hybrid which i also love.  The hybrid is stamped as a 4H 21° which i assumed replaced a 4 iron.  Looking at the loft table for my irons my 5 iron is lofted at 21° (Strong lofted Clubs i know). 

This is the first time I've used hybrids before and I have enjoyed playing with them.

Thank you in advance    

Driver:  :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik Max 9° neutral weight setting - Shaft: Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60S, length 44.75"

Wood:  :cobra-small: Cobra King SZ 3 wood 13° - Shaft: (Stock) Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 Graphite

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: Cobra King SZ 19°-21° - Shaft: (Stock) UST Recoil 480 ESX F4

Irons: :cobra-small: 5-PW Cobra King SZ - Shaft: Nippon N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour 105

Wedges: :vokey-small: Titleist Vokey SM8 54°, 58° - Shaft: (Stock) Wedge Flex

Putter:  :scotty-small: Scotty Cameron X12, length 34"

:Clicgear: Rovic RV1S

Always fill gaps, the number on the bottom is not relevant

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

A 4H will more likely replace a 3 iron than a 5 iron even if they have identical loft. Hybrid shafts are longer and lighter than iron shafts, so you get higher club head speed. The faces are hotter which produces more ball speed than an iron. A 17-19 degree hybrid would be a good range to test and see how that fits between your 3 wood and 4H. A 19 deg hybrid might not give much separation from the 21. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

11 minutes ago, BMart519 said:

A 4H will more likely replace a 3 iron than a 5 iron even if they have identical loft. Hybrid shafts are longer and lighter than iron shafts, so you get higher club head speed. The faces are hotter which produces more ball speed than an iron. A 17-19 degree hybrid would be a good range to test and see how that fits between your 3 wood and 4H. A 19 deg hybrid might not give much separation from the 21. 

Do you know of any hybrid with adjustable loft?

Edited by Urbs_Valhalla

Driver:  :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik Max 9° neutral weight setting - Shaft: Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60S, length 44.75"

Wood:  :cobra-small: Cobra King SZ 3 wood 13° - Shaft: (Stock) Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 Graphite

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: Cobra King SZ 19°-21° - Shaft: (Stock) UST Recoil 480 ESX F4

Irons: :cobra-small: 5-PW Cobra King SZ - Shaft: Nippon N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour 105

Wedges: :vokey-small: Titleist Vokey SM8 54°, 58° - Shaft: (Stock) Wedge Flex

Putter:  :scotty-small: Scotty Cameron X12, length 34"

:Clicgear: Rovic RV1S

As @cnosil said, always fill the gaps.  Even the degrees marked can be meaningless from one manufacturer to another.  The shaft makes a lot of difference and your swing speed is an added variable.  The gaps become very close with slower swing speeds.

Even though your 4H and 5i have the same loft, the 4H will likely be longer but you need to determine if it is and by how much.  Same with the 3W and 4H.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

20 minutes ago, Urbs_Valhalla said:

The Titleist TS hybrids are adjustable for loft and lie, and some older Cobras were adjustable.  But don't get hung up on adjustability.  Hybrids are unique animals; you will probably like the feel of one brand over the other.  Some you might hook one brand, while others you won't.  You need to find the one that feels good and you can consistently hit well, then get the gaps correct.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Really is your 5 iron is 21* then the only real option is an 18* hybrid which is like a 2 iron. Is your current hybrid adjustable - That is one thing nowadays I insist on as it allows you to adjust the club to fill the gap.

Alternatively another option is the think your 5 iron is a 3 (my older 3 are all 21*) and your PW is a 8/9 and fill the at this end with edges.

Lastly do you it the 4 Hybrid further than your 5 iron. If so I gather the difference is that the Hybrid has a longer shaft.

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

@Urbs_Valhalla what @BMart519 said is very true. 

Usually, a 3 wood = a 2 hybrid, and a 1 iron

5 wood = 3 hybrid = 2 iron

7 wood = 4 hybrid = 3 iron

If you have the clubhead speed of a pro then maybe, MAYBE, a hybrid and iron would go the same distance if the have the same number. 

However, for the real world amateurs, the long irons don't have enough height and fall short compared to high speed players. So, the hybrid helps produce higher launch and more distance by using lower COG, longer shafts, and lighter weight. 

All that to say, as @cnosil said, fill the gaps and ignore the number. 

I personally go Driver, 5 wood, 4 hybrid, 4 iron with a hybrid shaft, 5 iron. It fills my gaps nicely in the high end of my bag. 

Additionally, I used to have a 3h and it went the same distance as my 5 wood but, the 5w has a bigger face so I am more consistent with it. 

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

On 10/9/2020 at 5:31 AM, Urbs_Valhalla said:

Callaway do.

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001